goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Cody has been on record saying he doesn't want to wrestle a single day past his 40s.

Since when do we actually believe what pro-wrestler say ? :P

It was going so well for Cody. And then he got the neck tattoo. And then Omega & the Bucks finally got pushed to the top as they should have and the company grew more than when Cody was seen as the guy. And then the baby gender reveal and the Ogogo promo. And then while it was all about CM Punk & Danielson & Adam Cole, Cody was fighting his own audience with semi-shoot promos about "not turning heel". In the end, something had to give, especially if he wanted more money than TK was willing to give him considering his current status on the roster.

It makes sense if he is able to get top guy money and a top guy spot out of this, since that is basically why he left in the first place. He couldn't get that from WWE in 2016, and this is probably his last best chance. WWE would be dumb not to treat his comeback like a huge deal if they care anything about being relevant in 2022, but this is WWE in 2022, so seems like there is a better chance he'll be an afterthought by the end of the year. Make ridiculous money and then either retire or go back to AEW in a few years

I don't think this is that surprising, if Tony taking more control of the booking, etc. is true. 

If you're the son of Dusty, would you rather be told 'no' by Vince McMahon or by some punk rich kid who in your mind, would probably still be helping his Dad run the football team if you hadn't Tweeted out a bunch of opponents you wanted a few years ago or Tweeted about a 10,000 seat indy show. 

Unless he’s ready to just be a full time character again, with no more ambitions for the creative side of the biz beyond something like what he did on JBL & Cole’s YouTube show and the Rhodes to The Top be more akin to a Miz/Bella/Cena/etc side project, I don’t see him coming back to a WWE that just turfed Triple H and dismantled his entire NXT “empire.”

It probably will be a long while before a current or “part time” performer gains enough backstage creative power like that again if Vince is still calling the shots. 

9 minutes ago, Jesse Ewiak said:

I don't think this is that surprising, if Tony taking more control of the booking, etc. is true. 

If you're the son of Dusty, would you rather be told 'no' by Vince McMahon or by some punk rich kid who in your mind, would probably still be helping his Dad run the football team if you hadn't Tweeted out a bunch of opponents you wanted a few years ago or Tweeted about a 10,000 seat indy show. 

I would probably want the place where I had control of my presentation, promos, matches, and input on the rest of the company as well. 

2 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

I also don't see what the "work" from this would be about? Ok, you trick the fans into thinking you are leaving but you are not. But there is no big angle you are involved in, nor a big angle within the company for Cody to get involved in as a surprise. There's no big swerve beside his music hitting on Dynamite and him getting a big pop (and then big boos). Would it be for him to finally turn heel? It would honestly be one of the dumbest ways of turning heel I'd ever seen if that's the case.

I saw speculation in a Facebook group suggest a Danielson/Mox led group becoming an nWo like faction, with Cody returning to fend them off.

The point is he’s lost some of that input on the rest of the company over time.

To get a bit deeper into things, AEW has overall been leaning more and more into modern Internet meme culture and that’s not something Cody really “gets” the way Omega & the Bucks do. That seems to be the approach that’s growing then the most, so perhaps he sees the writing on the wall

12 minutes ago, funkdoc said:

The point is he’s lost some of that input on the rest of the company over time.

To get a bit deeper into things, AEW has overall been leaning more and more into modern Internet meme culture and that’s not something Cody really “gets” the way Omega & the Bucks do. That seems to be the approach that’s growing then the most, so perhaps he sees the writing on the wall

So his response is to leave and go back to WWE where he'll have no input at all. Makes sense.

3 minutes ago, strobogo said:

So his response is to leave and go back to WWE where he'll have no input at all. Makes sense.

I mean, from all reports, actual top guys like Roman, Rollins, Brock, etc. to get plenty of input on what they want to do. As Sami pointed out in his interview, not everybody in the WWE is being oppressed. If you're a top guy, things seem pretty fine. Now, maybe you think Cody wouldn't eventually be treated as a top guy in the Fed, which is entirely possible, but the same thing seemed to be happening in AEW. 

3 hours ago, PeteF3 said:

I know this may as well have been 500 years ago and not 34, but Dave wrote in the 1988 WONs that you shouldn't expect Arn & Tully to be buried or given wacky gimmick makeovers when they jumped to the WWF in 1988, because that would have killed the WWF's chances of grabbing Ric Flair. And as it turned out, other than maybe a wacky gimmick tag name, Arn and Tully were mostly left alone. So I don't really see Cody jobbing to Grayson Waller on NXT--they have to do right by him if they want to get any other major AEW talent to jump.

But what major AEW talent is gettable for WWE? The only one who seems even remotely likely is MJF. Most of the other top guys have either already walked away from WWE or turned down offers from them. Also, given the apparent breakdown in relations between Cody and the other EVPs, it seems questionable that he'll be able to entice anyone of significance to make the leap. If Cody does go to WWE, I'd say the closest historical analogy would be Dusty going to the WWF. And look how that turned out.

5 minutes ago, strobogo said:

Yup.  That’s why I’m still thinking this is a mega “master” work.

Like I said, you don’t systematically let Triple H’s most recent pets (Cole and Undisputed Era) walk, rebrand the whole brand itself and cut Triple H’s underlings, only to give creative keys to someone who left a few years ago to co-create his own promotion!

5 minutes ago, Jesse Ewiak said:

I mean, from all reports, actual top guys like Roman, Rollins, Brock, etc. to get plenty of input on what they want to do. As Sami pointed out in his interview, not everybody in the WWE is being oppressed. If you're a top guy, things seem pretty fine. Now, maybe you think Cody wouldn't eventually be treated as a top guy in the Fed, which is entirely possible, but the same thing seemed to be happening in AEW. 

I’d imagine after literally being the Triple H of AEW, granted he was doing the whole CodyVerse that for months was separate from the rest of AEW, I doubt he’d settle for the “run of the mill” creative control of just his own programs just because “he’s going home”

9 minutes ago, SteveJRogers said:

I’d imagine after literally being the Triple H of AEW, granted he was doing the whole CodyVerse that for months was separate from the rest of AEW, I doubt he’d settle for the “run of the mill” creative control of just his own programs just because “he’s going home”

I think that's the point - he's not the Triple H anymore. He was shunted off to the side, basically in a corner away from all the stuff that actually mattered (Mox/Danielson/Omega/etc.). So yeah, he could stay and have a couple of segments a week feuding with other people Tony has no plans for or people connected to him via his school, but instead of being you could argue, at worst, the #4 guy at All Out, he's now behind all the other EVP's, Mox, Danielson, Punk, and now maybe even Page and Cole. Now, perhaps, if he goes back, he's having heatless matches against Boogz by the end of the year, but in the long run, is that really that different from a feud with Dan Lambert? 

I don't even like Cody that much, but I can totally understand why he'd go back to the fed.