goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Jesse Ewiak said:

I think that's the point - he's not the Triple H anymore. He was shunted off to the side, basically in a corner away from all the stuff that actually mattered (Mox/Danielson/Omega/etc.). So yeah, he could stay and have a couple of segments a week feuding with other people Tony has no plans for or people connected to him via his school, but instead of being you could argue, at worst, the #4 guy at All Out, he's now behind all the other EVP's, Mox, Danielson, Punk, and now maybe even Page and Cole. Now, perhaps, if he goes back, he's having heatless matches against Boogz by the end of the year, but in the long run, is that really that different from a feud with Dan Lambert? 

I don't even like Cody that much, but I can totally understand why he'd go back to the fed. 

That’s fair if his ego realizes he’s pretty much done calling shots for the promotion as a whole.

It seems clear Cody was no longer on the same page as....well everyone really. He was on his own island storyline wise, the last thing he did of substance was establishing the TNT title with the weekly defenses. After that it was increasingly going off the rails culminating with the Cody Solved Racism By Having A Biracial Child promo that seemed to torpedo him with the AEW fanbase. 

This actually seems like a win for everyone. WWE gets the chance to stem the "everyone is choosing AEW over us" narrative, Cody presumably gets a fat contract, and AEW can do addition by subtraction by removing the Codyverse from their shows.

The only part that's surprising to me is that someone with a Rhodes ego would go back to WWE after he went so hard taking shots at them. He has to know Vince has an elephant's memory for that kind of shit, so there's a very good chance that after the "we got one of their guys" victory lap, he could be Stardust 2.0 or worse. 

24 minutes ago, sek69 said:

The only part that's surprising to me is that someone with a Rhodes ego would go back to WWE after he went so hard taking shots at them. He has to know Vince has an elephant's memory for that kind of shit, so there's a very good chance that after the "we got one of their guys" victory lap, he could be Stardust 2.0 or worse. 

Especially knowing the double rib shot on Dusty (Virgil and Akeem “The African Dream”) before the whole wearing polka dots when he came in.

26 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Even without the shots, WWE is incompetent at booking anyone not made by them. And it's nothing new. Cody was lost in the last year of AEW already,  I have no idea how anyone would think Vince in 2022 would make the most out of this guy. He's the one who released Adam Cole and Keith Lee. 

One thing Cody would have going for him is that for one Vince usually protects people he pays big money to, and also that he might be motivated by spite against AEW. Of course that can go both ways and it might be one of those "WCW guys have to job for years after the purchase so Vince can prove WWE was better all along" deals. 

The gimmick was silly, but did Dusty speak ill of the way he was actually treated in the WWF for that run? It felt like he and Vince had a mutual understanding of what each brought to the relationship. I think if Cody is on the outs with Tony Khan and AEW this is probably the best business decision for him. 

12 minutes ago, Al said:

The gimmick was silly, but did Dusty speak ill of the way he was actually treated in the WWF for that run? It felt like he and Vince had a mutual understanding of what each brought to the relationship. I think if Cody is on the outs with Tony Khan and AEW this is probably the best business decision for him. 

The polka dots were 100% meant to be a purposely embarrassing gimmick for the guy who was booking the competition. The fact Dusty got it over was a testament to his abilities more than any understanding on Vince's part. Dusty knew what the deal was and him getting the gimmick over was his way of saying FU. I don't think Dusty had any bad feelings about it though. He knew the game. 

Mixed feelings about the whole thing. Ultimately AEW doesn't "need" Cody as they're clearly building towards the future while making better investments in guys like Bryan and Punk. Not to mention his stuff always felt so disconnected from the product as a whole (even the good stuff). But at the same time, it's sad to see the guy who basically started it all leave and after just 3 years.

I have to think this was about more than money and there was probably a great deal of backstage politics, but it's also a sign that WWE can and will poach talent and they've already got their eyes on MJF, Wardlow, and Jade.

6 minutes ago, Boss Rock said:

I have to think this was about more than money and there was probably a great deal of backstage politics, but it's also a sign that WWE can and will poach talent and they've already got their eyes on MJF, Wardlow, and Jade.

Well, Jade did not go for the "We're your family now" cult sell-job, MJF has still time on his contract and it will be a very different deal then. WWE can take Wardlow any day.

This all reads like Cody just wanted to leave and made a stupidly high money request to TK knowing he would say no (or if he said yes he'd get stupid money). The writing has been on the wall for a while, his programs seem bolted on to AEW TV and clearly there has been a change in the relationship between him and the other VPs. From comments all of them have made, it seems like they are personally getting along but clearly had different business visions for the future. 

1 minute ago, El-P said:

Well, Jade did not go for the "We're your family now" cult sell-job, MJF has still time on his contract and it will be a very different deal then. WWE can take Wardlow any day.

It should be remembered that AEW will most likely get a huge increase in TV money by the time MJF's deal comes up. I don't see them letting any of their young talent go without a fight. 

Yeah I would certainly hope (and expect) they're going to throw lots of money at their long-term prospects. And Cody is not the investment folks like Bryan, Cole, and Punk are. But as much as it all makes sense to me, I still do wonder if there is a dollar amount that WWE could use to lure other top stars. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Jericho leaves next. Mox's deal is also up soon but I would be incredibly shocked if he went back.

1 minute ago, sek69 said:

It should be remembered that AEW will most likely get a huge increase in TV money by the time MJF's deal comes up. I don't see them letting any of their young talent go without a fight. 

Also, it's kinda fascinating that people act like now everybody will want to jump. Wait, because Cody was unhappy after a year of screwing up his own character and being overshadowed by everybody in the Elite and newcomers, that invalidates everything that has been said about WWE's management of talent for the last years and AEW's success ? Like, really now ? Wow...

9 minutes ago, sek69 said:

This all reads like Cody just wanted to leave and made a stupidly high money request to TK knowing he would say no (or if he said yes he'd get stupid money). The writing has been on the wall for a while, his programs seem bolted on to AEW TV and clearly there has been a change in the relationship between him and the other VPs. From comments all of them have made, it seems like they are personally getting along but clearly had different business visions for the future. 

There's likely something more at play, because Meltz seems to think Khan would have had an option year like he did with the Bucks, and chose not to exercise it. Unless there's some weird shenanigans (i.e. TK let the option expire because they were negotiating a longer deal, thought it was done, Cody goes back on it at the last minute, etc.) - that might explain the cryptic references to lawyers getting involved at the end.

I don't see any of the top people going to WWE except Jericho, since he's a guy who can probably avoid most of the usual toxic bullshit. I could maybe see Mox leaving AEW one day, but I don't think there's a check large enough in the world to get him to go back to WWE. 

This all seems to come down to Cody and TK realizing their philosophies were at odds and deciding to part ways as amicable as possible.