goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, MoS said:

AEW had its first $1 million gate in history. Not sure if WCW ever managed a $1 million gate, although you obviously have to take inflation into account. 

According to Dave, WCW's biggest gate was the Hogan-Goldberg Nitro in the Georgia Dome, which was just shy of a $1 million gate. 

In other news that will make some folks happy, Denise Salcedo announced that she's doing an interview with Joey Janela where he will be explaining why he is not re signing with AEW. 

WCW's ticket prices were always quite cheap, certainly cheaper than WWF's. For the Dome show, it was also a matter of prestige since Turner executives were going to be attending, and obviously WWF and Austin had recently turned around the war after a long time of losing. I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of the tickets sold in the last few days were discounted. 

AEW would also have quite cheap tickets, which explains why there have been far more highly attended AEW shows that did not reach the $1 million mark. But recently, I think they have felt confident enough to increase their ticket prices, and attendance hasn't suffered so a good decision. Don't think it comes close to Raw and Smackdown ticket prices, but AEW's brand is nowhere near strong yet to command that. 

8 hours ago, sek69 said:

In other news that will make some folks happy, Denise Salcedo announced that she's doing an interview with Joey Janela where he will be explaining why he is not re signing with AEW. 

Considering the guy hasn't been on AEW TV for an eternity, only extremely petty and miserable people could be happy about Janela not re-signing (yeah, I'm thinking Corny here), he's been a total non-factor after the first year or so. Well, he had that great match with Omega (as everybody does) and a cool tag-team stint with Sonny Kiss on Dark, so that's something. It got obvious pretty early that the guy was like Mickey Whipreck in WCW, his appeal was really being an indy cult figure.

For the record, WCW's gate record is held by the Fingerpoke of Doom Nitro, which drew $930,735. The 12/21/98 Nitro in St. Louis had a good shot at breaking the $1 million mark, but a snowstorm the day of the show killed the walk-up. But the bottom line is that WCW in the Nitro era was more concerned with TV ratings than paid attendance. After all, it ran multiple shows in Sturgis that drew a $0 gate.

Janela was mostly very positive toward AEW but hinted at possible heat with Christopher Daniels (their talent-relations guy) over injuring other wrestlers. He said he thinks him breaking Kingston’s face on Dark was the last straw. He also wishes they would be more transparent with wrestlers re: their contract status; he mentioned Marko Stunt being totally in limbo.

One friend of mine had an interesting take here: he thinks we’re seeing the beginning of the end of AEW as a variety show. Their “something for everyone” mantra may have been more a product of their limited roster, and now things might be more consolidated into TK’s specific vision…

8 minutes ago, funkdoc said:

Their “something for everyone” mantra may have been more a product of their limited roster, and now things might be more consolidated into TK’s specific vision…

I dunno. Their last PPV truly was something for everyone.

Also, they just signed Danhausen and he's been on TV every week, and he's pretty much in the same vein as Marko or Orange in term of being a cult indy name with meme value (see what I did here ?).

Of course as more big time talent get signed, you'll probably get less "oddities" or less time for them though. 

The Regal episode of Talk Is Jericho is absolutely shocking and hard to listen to at times. He's been through so much... he sounds traumatised and understandably so. Burst into tears on a number of occasions. On previous podcasts he's very measured and calm but he's kind of all over the place here. Amazing he's still alive and well. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Timbo Slice said:

Definitely seems like Uncle Tony is putting the pieces in place for a streaming service with AEW/ROH/NJPW content. The golden goose here would be AJPW, whose rights are a bit up in the air, I believe, but still. Should be interesting to see where this goes in the coming weeks. 

The low key golden goose IMO is if they somehow get CMLL involved. They have zero interest/ability to do anything with their library, and would probably be interested if the check was big enough. It would be an absolute game changer in terms of lucha history, 

7 minutes ago, El-P said:

I'd pay for a streaming service with AEW/ROH/NJPW/AAA stuff on it.

I hear that. if the library back catalogue was comprehensive enough, I’d be all over that in a heartbeat.

And if there is ever was an AJPW streaming service with the whole 80’s/90’s library? Let’s just say I would have to say goodbye to my family for a couple of years because nobody would ever see me again.

8 hours ago, sek69 said:

The low key golden goose IMO is if they somehow get CMLL involved. They have zero interest/ability to do anything with their library, and would probably be interested if the check was big enough. It would be an absolute game changer in terms of lucha history, 

Not sure this is going to happen. It was announced that AAA is taking Tony K on in a creative role for their bigger shows. Now more than ever, the possibility of them doing business with CMLL is gone. If he can broker a deal, he'll do what nobody else ever could.

I'm holding thumbs because there's so much possible footage that we can finally get our hands on. ONE DAY CHICANA/FARAON!