Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

13 minutes ago, El-P said:

More than anything, it makes WWE look petty and insecure. And it makes Angle & Taker come off like two old guys on a leash. Considering Taker is basically only working for the Saudi money at this point, yeah, not a good look for any of these parts.

I agree, but this thing can actually be ordered on FITE, so it's basically going to be "televised." That kind of changes things a little bit.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

It looks like Starrcast found a suitable replacement.

I mean, yeah, suitable for message board geeks like us, maybe - but the rest of the world would be far more excited by Taker and Angle, obviously.

Still cool though. 

I get Taker, apparently his deal expired and Vince just assumed he would never do any non WWE events. Angle, on the other hand I don't understand what Conrad was thinking. Did he think the retirement match at Mania was a shoot and Kurt no longer had a contract with WWE?

Not feeling the love other people are for these two hype videos (more power to the ones loving them). They feel generic to me; the sort of thing TNA was cranking out when Bobby Roode was sitting by ponds etc. I was expecting something earth shattering after seeing much hype from notable people. 

5 hours ago, El-P said:

Great promo. Amazing to think it's the same guy who for years in WWE couldn't buy charisma. The shot at Trip was brutal and very accurate too.

Between the hype promos and the Jim Ross interview on Busted Open Radio talking about how he wants to make it sound like an athletic event, I have a lot of hope. I want to have something that's not cartoony. Like, if WWE is doing New Day stuff & whatnot, AEW should be trying to be a completely different, alternative product. So I'm hoping they go more in that direction & less in the Joey Ryan Penis Druid direction.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-05-08/itv-announces-major-wrestling-event-for-itv-box-office/

Double or Nothing will be on ITV Box Office in the UK. PPV isn't as big a thing here as in the US - although big time boxing matches with Ricky Hatton or Anthony Joshua have been known to pull in big buyrates - but ITV is the biggest commercial network and second biggest overall in Britain so if the channels of communication are opened up there then it's promising for future television coverage. WWE TV in in the UK and Ireland is on Sky, which is a satellite subscription service, so if AEW manage to get their shows even onto one of the lesser ITV channels, they'll be in more homes than WWE. It's interesting because ITV already tried their hand with wrestling when they tried to run that crappy World of Sport rebrand a year or two back so the fact that they're open to trying again is maybe a sign that there's someone at executive level who wants to have wrestling programming. WWE responded to the WoS thing by trying to buy up the entire British wrestling scene and putting it under their umbrella so it's clear that they see the UK as a major market. If this does ok and something more comes out of it in terms of working relationship, it'll be interesting to see the fallout. 

4 hours ago, FMKK said:

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-05-08/itv-announces-major-wrestling-event-for-itv-box-office/

Double or Nothing will be on ITV Box Office in the UK. PPV isn't as big a thing here as in the US - although big time boxing matches with Ricky Hatton or Anthony Joshua have been known to pull in big buyrates - but ITV is the biggest commercial network and second biggest overall in Britain so if the channels of communication are opened up there then it's promising for future television coverage. WWE TV in in the UK and Ireland is on Sky, which is a satellite subscription service, so if AEW manage to get their shows even onto one of the lesser ITV channels, they'll be in more homes than WWE. It's interesting because ITV already tried their hand with wrestling when they tried to run that crappy World of Sport rebrand a year or two back so the fact that they're open to trying again is maybe a sign that there's someone at executive level who wants to have wrestling programming. WWE responded to the WoS thing by trying to buy up the entire British wrestling scene and putting it under their umbrella so it's clear that they see the UK as a major market. If this does ok and something more comes out of it in terms of working relationship, it'll be interesting to see the fallout. 

Also, the pre-show is airing on free TV. It's ITV4, which isn't the most-watched channel in the country but it's a foothold on terrestrial TV in the UK so that may well be where the AEW TV show ends up. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see it end up on BT Sport where they can market it against WWE in their battle with Sky.

On 4/24/2019 at 3:01 PM, NintendoLogic said:

It looks like Starrcast found a suitabe replacement.

(Bret vs. Magee)

So much for this being any kind of "draw" for Starrcast...

59 minutes ago, WingedEagle said:

2 minutes ago, El-P said:

Oh, you don't think that's some kind of coincidence ? B)

It's not like Starrcast needs any more draw at this point anyway, but yeah. More and more pettiness. It's kinda funny how small and insecure these people are.

Absolutely coincidental. The benevolent Mistah MACMahon would never step on anyone's toes.

It's a dick move, but it's not like this is something that is going to kill off Starrcast. Besides, it is WWE footage after all, it's like the people who upload stuff on YouTube and get their channels owned by WWE. It's a dick move that they have the right to do, and you can't be surprised when it happens.

So WWE is making this match available to everyone, and we're supposed to damn them because *maybe* they did it to screw with a carny's autograph show/convention that is being promoted in conjunction with their competitor's show? There are a lot of great reasons to hate WWE but this seems like it's pretty low on the list. 

• Loss pinned and locked this topic
  • Loss unlocked and unpinned this topic