Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
goodhelmet

All Elite Wrestling

Recommended Posts

Really digging their first acquisitions, especially my boy CIMA. But I’m really looking forward to seeing Cody and the Bucks paraded out before a Fulham game in the Premier League this season. Hopefully when I’m down there with Newcastle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jesse Ewiak said:

Weird how some of the same people who acted all insulted that the WWE got in bed with Trump or Saudi Arabia are perfectly OK with All Elite Wrestling being backed by a guy who gave a million to Trump's inauguration committee. Guess it's OK to be a scumbag with terrible politics as long as you hate Kevin Dunn's production decisions and like lots of flips. 

I think there's possibly a tiny difference between WWE taking millions from the dictatorial, murderous Saudi regime and AEW being backed by a family whose patriarch donated a sizeable amount to a democratically elected US President. However, a quick Google suggests Shahid Khan is no longer a Trump supporter anyway. He referred to him as "The Great Divider" and apparently stood arm in arm with his players after Trump said he wanted to see an NFL owner chuck players off the field if they disrespected the national anthem. So I'm not sure this is relevant now regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, RingoPlaysDrums said:

So I'm not sure this is relevant now regardless.

Indeed. Plus I'm sorry to say, since I feel targeted by Jesse Ewiak's post, I don't do morality check on every pro-wrestling companies owners before watching their shit. I know, it's shocking. That being said, with WWE I don't have to since they put a (two, actually) propaganda show for the criminal Saudi regime on my TV, have a McMahon family member as part of Trump's governement and just put racist Hogan's merchandise back on their website just as he was back on TV to honor Mean Gene. So the awfulness is kinda obvious.

Liking "lots of flips" is kinda cute. Why not MOVEZ though ? :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tim Evans said:

So with Joey and MJF being with AEW, does this mean they left MLW or MLW is working with AEW? 

MJF basically disappeared from MLW and the title was vacated because of "injury", but I have no idea if that's a cover up of him leaving or a legit thing. That's what is a bit frustrating with MLW, people seem to come and go and you don't get a sense of a real roster. Strickland, ACH have vanished also (they are NXT bound, aren't they ?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The healthcare stuff is pretty dubious to me.  They are “working on it” until it recedes from the discussion and ceases to earn them goodwill from people who are desperate to have something they can support that isn’t WWE.  It’s a company run by a billionaire.  I can’t help but have a healthy dose of skepticism regarding exactly what the benefits will be.  Considering how long this has apparently been in the works, I would have thought they would have this ironed out if it was going to be used to lure talent.  

I’m also very interested in the freedom of movement for the workers (i.e. Janela continuing to work for GCW, the Bucks going back to PWG, other workers being able to take dates).  If the dates dry up relatively quickly, it could really fuck over some workers in a huge way - similar to when ROH was signing guys to contracts (Steen as one example) five or six years ago and giving them two Saturdays a month and having them on their TV show that no one watches.  Obviously the Bucks and Cody will always get paid well and push themselves to the top of the wage scale, but I am talking about the mid-card talents.  Once you start fucking over the workers, you’re the same as any other large wrestling company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

I’m also very interested in the freedom of movement for the workers (i.e. Janela continuing to work for GCW, the Bucks going back to PWG, other workers being able to take dates).  If the dates dry up relatively quickly, it could really fuck over some workers in a huge way - similar to when ROH was signing guys to contracts (Steen as one example) five or six years ago and giving them two Saturdays a month and having them on their TV show that no one watches.

Or those first Lucha Underground contracts which prevented the workers from working anywhere else. They obviously changed it which is why the Lucha Bros are killing it in MLW and iMPACT. But yeah, if you want to establish relationships with other companies, I guess you'd better manage a certain kind of fluidity for the workers. Maybe if they don't get the whole healthcare deal, then they can be actual "independent contractors" (as opposed to, well, you know).

This is gonna be a fascinating year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

The healthcare stuff is pretty dubious to me.  They are “working on it” until it recedes from the discussion and ceases to earn them goodwill from people who are desperate to have something they can support that isn’t WWE.  It’s a company run by a billionaire.  I can’t help but have a healthy dose of skepticism regarding exactly what the benefits will be.  Considering how long this has apparently been in the works, I would have thought they would have this ironed out if it was going to be used to lure talent.  

Same. It was very noticeable how when pressed for details they didn't confirm they actually would be offering healthcare. In fact from Cody and the Bucks' comments it sounded very much like it wasn't coming anytime soon for the wrestlers, if at all.

In a similar vein, I am dubious about the equal pay claims in a business where there is no pay scale and no transparency. Exactly who would someone like Britt Baker be paid equal to? And are we talking base salary or in total?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Same. It was very noticeable how when pressed for details they didn't confirm they actually would be offering healthcare. In fact from Cody and the Bucks' comments it sounded very much like it wasn't coming anytime soon for the wrestlers, if at all.

In a similar vein, I am dubious about the equal pay claims in a business where there is no pay scale and no transparency. Exactly who would someone like Britt Baker be paid equal to? And are we talking base salary or in total?

They clarified this saying it was based on position on the card. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bradhindsight said:

They clarified this saying it was based on position on the card. 

I know they said that, but that doesn't really tell us anything. I guess details will come out eventually and we'll just have to wait, but I'm very dubious this will be the worker's paradise they're promising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, El-P said:

Indeed. Plus I'm sorry to say, since I feel targeted by Jesse Ewiak's post, I don't do morality check on every pro-wrestling companies owners before watching their shit. I know, it's shocking. That being said, with WWE I don't have to since they put a (two, actually) propaganda show for the criminal Saudi regime on my TV, have a McMahon family member as part of Trump's governement and just put racist Hogan's merchandise back on their website just as he was back on TV to honor Mean Gene. So the awfulness is kinda obvious.

Liking "lots of flips" is kinda cute. Why not MOVEZ though ? :rolleyes:

 

If your position is that all wrestling is carny bullshit being run by likely terrible people, so be it. That's at least consistent. My point was more about the folks who were very very concerned about Vince and Linda's politics, and were very loud about that fact, but seem much less concerned about the Khans, who at best, took until after Trump was elected and they gave him a million bucks to figure out he might not be great. There's also the hilarity of Brandi up there talking about equality as the Jaguars cheerleaders, who like all NFL cheerleaders, are treated like crap by their teams, including a lack of health care, are up on stage with them. 

But hey, if Cody can pull a good con and extract some money from a billionaire's kid for the boys, so be it. I'm sure Big Dust is looking down at him with a smile on his face for finding a great money mark. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, El-P said:

MJF basically disappeared from MLW and the title was vacated because of "injury", but I have no idea if that's a cover up of him leaving or a legit thing. That's what is a bit frustrating with MLW, people seem to come and go and you don't get a sense of a real roster. Strickland, ACH have vanished also (they are NXT bound, aren't they ?).

He had a legit elbow injury, is my understanding, and pulled out of a bunch of dates as a result. I wouldn't put it past him to have worked that once he knew the contract was coming, but those were the reports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Grimmas said:

I really hope Janella is in charge of creative.

There is literally no way he's in charge, but I'd assume he'd be part of the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jesse Ewiak said:

If your position is that all wrestling is carny bullshit being run by likely terrible people, so be it. That's at least consistent.

Well, like it's been said, you can't be a billionaire without doing shady shit. NOAH and WAR had strong ties with the yakuza, who are much less funny IRL than in the movies. Most territory promoters were terrible people. Entitled rich kids who had nothing to do in life but being born are the one who are gonna back pro-wrestling (see also : Carter, Dixie). So yeah, I guess. Like I said, what WWE throws right in my face is just on another level, but it's not like I have any misconceptions about pro-wrestling in general (well, I guess the entertainment industry in general, but pro-wrestling is a special kind of beast). I surely don't watch it for its progressive politics (which is why the fake-feminism of the WWE is so grating)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Migs said:

There is literally no way he's in charge, but I'd assume he'd be part of the team.

Yeah.. I know, part of the team and a big part is what I'd hope for. I'm way more into Game Changer than Elite. Janella is a genius in creative and promoting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, El-P said:

Well, like it's been said, you can't be a billionaire without doing shady shit. NOAH and WAR had strong ties with the yakuza, who are much less funny IRL than in the movies. Most territory promoters were terrible people. Entitled rich kids who had nothing to do in life but being born are the one who are gonna back pro-wrestling (see also : Carter, Dixie). So yeah, I guess. Like I said, what WWE throws right in my face is just on another level, but it's not like I have any misconceptions about pro-wrestling in general (well, I guess the entertainment industry in general, but pro-wrestling is a special kind of beast). I surely don't watch it for its progressive politics (which is why the fake-feminism of the WWE is so grating)...

But how can WWE throw stuff in your face if you’ve boycotted it and don’t watch it?

Anyways back on topic, the one big question I have is how will success be measured?

I’m sure that Double or Nothing will do very well, as the same group of people that supported All In will want to make sure that this is a success. But after that? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Downend2005 said:

But how can WWE throw stuff in your face if you’ve boycotted it and don’t watch it?

Because I started boycotted it after they threw that shit in my face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, InYourCase said:

https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2019/01/09/getting-to-know-owes-strong-hearts/

Info on CIMA and some of the people that will (more than likely) be involved. If anyone has questions on Strong Hearts, please let me know 

Even just scanning some GIFs... this feels like a brilliant, low key move by AEW. The athleticism level and creativity is mind blowing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Migs said:

Even just scanning some GIFs... this feels like a brilliant, low key move by AEW. The athleticism level and creativity is mind blowing.

It's a tremendous move. The four from the DG exodus are top tier wrestlers, and the OWE kids from China, while all rough around the edges, all have terrific potential. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WrestlingFan said:

You know, EL-P, some people would stop watching wrestling if it was a feminist, liberal and progressive business.

Those by and large would be terrible people IMO. Anyone who thinks treating employees fair and offering health benefits is a dealbreaker deserves maximum side eye at the very least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, FMKK said:

Why would you not watch something just because the people on it are paid well?

something something libtards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×