All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As others have said, considering the level of brand awareness/current lack of TV presence, even 50k would be a huge number.

I can't verify their accuracy but the numbers I came across from TNA ranged from 10k-40k for their PPVs, with an average around 20k (?). 

Despite some bellyaching, the $50 price point does not seem to have hindered sales too much. In fact, the overall positive reception for the show makes it seem like this was well worth the price on PPV. I did not order the show and I have not seen the whole show (I am admittedly more of a "WWE-centric fan" and have limited knowledge/exposure to indie wrestling save for local shows) but based on what I did see and read about it, I'm more likely to buy the next one. If there are another 8-12k fans like me, who were "fence-sitters" this time around, AEW has the potential to do an even bigger number for their next show. From what I've read, I have not seen many fans say they regretted their purchase. 

I'm really hoping they have some streaming option for this Fyter Fest card. I really want to see the six man, Moxley/Janela and Cody/Allin. 

Also, I didn't see much of him but I love Michael Nakazawa and I am all in on whatever they do with that guy. I hope they make a Hardcore Title or something just for him. 

13 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

History has shown that the Veblen effect tends to apply for PPV prices. And Turner and/or B/R Live were really aggressive in shutting down illegal streams.

Has history shown that once an illegal stream gets shut down, people buy the PPV? Anecdotally, I've never heard anyone say "I tried to stream it but I couldn't get it to work so I ended up just buying it even though I was planning to?"

I could see it being a deterrence that might affect the next PPV mind you.

One thing I've learned from working a decade plus for a cable company is that Dave is right when he says people may complain about price, but if they want to watch a show they'll watch it. It happened with every Mayweather PPV fight, people would bitch nonstop leading up how expensive the show was and it would still end up setting record buys. Raising PPV prices were what pulled the WWF out of financial problems in 1997, and while I agree $50 was quite the ask for an unproven entity in 2019 I would say the near unanimous praise the show got probably increased the odds the next one will be the same price. 

39 minutes ago, Al said:

I find that true in a lot of entertainment. People bitch about the high cost of concessions and tickets, yet you still have to wait in long lines for them. People grumble, but they pay.

Not even canny millennials can pirate a live experience?

When a stream gets shut down, it takes about twelve to fifteen seconds to find a new one. No company can ever stop all streams, nor keep up with the speed that new streams pop-up. It's a waste of time, effort & resources.

If someone is internet savvy & committed to watching a show w/out paying for it, they can do so pretty easily in this day & age. 

The Sunday Night Main Event Radio Twitter account tweeted yesterday that AEW approached TSN in Canada for a TV deal and TSN is keeping an open mind on it. TSN showed the Kenny Omega documentary in March and hasn't shown wrestling programming since 2006 when they abruptly ended their TV deal with WWE because of the infamous Edge & Lita Live Sex Celebration.

17 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

The Sunday Night Main Event Radio Twitter account tweeted yesterday that AEW approached TSN in Canada for a TV deal and TSN is keeping an open mind on it. TSN showed the Kenny Omega documentary in March and hasn't shown wrestling programming since 2006 when they abruptly ended their TV deal with WWE because of the infamous Edge & Lita Live Sex Celebration.

It was in 2006, but it was because TSN got the rights to Monday Night Football and wouldn't be able to show Raw live anymore 

I dont have cable but it would be cool if AWE got on TSN. It's not as huge in Canada as it used to be (Sportsnet, which airs WWE programming, is arguably the bigger sports channel here nowadays) but still one of the major channels in the country for sure

19 hours ago, sek69 said:

In news that will make @The Thread Killer happy, SoCalUncensored (the website, not the tag team) reported Joey Ryan turned down an AEW deal. 

I was indeed quite happy to hear that news.  The threat of Joey Ryan showing up has been one of the major factors preventing me from having much enthusiasm about this organization.  I did laugh when I was checking out the wrestling news headlines and saw the following two practically on top of each other:

"Tony Khan says AEW will be a more serious product"  followed by...

"Joey Ryan reportedly turns down AEW contract offer."

I know Ryan did his whole penis druid act at All In, but I had been wondering how much of that crap he would have gotten away with in AEW long term.  I can't see TNT letting him do his full act on television, even in 2019.  And if AEW really does want to present a more serious "won/loss" based type of product, is Ryan really the kind of guy you want on your roster anyhow?

1 hour ago, SirEdger said:

1 hour ago, Ricky Jackson said:

It was in 2006, but it was because TSN got the rights to Monday Night Football and wouldn't be able to show Raw live anymore 

I dont have cable but it would be cool if AWE got on TSN. It's not as huge in Canada as it used to be (Sportsnet, which airs WWE programming, is arguably the bigger sports channel here nowadays) but still one of the major channels in the country for sure

I myself have been curious about what AEW was planning on doing for TV in Canada since we don't get TNT here.  TSN would be a great option as it's a major national network on basic cable so I hope they can work out a deal.  Aside from the fact they are not on basic cable and are basically a specialty channel, The Fight Network is probably not an option - although considering Anthem's open attitude regarding working with other promotions, who knows?  Even though AEW are new, I'm betting they don't consider Impact competition.  Why would they, really?

15 hours ago, Matt D said:

You have to assume that most people who watched it didn't actually pay for it.

Absolutely not. Live at least. They were very proactive on shutting down illegal streams. More than WWE, IMPACT or ROH.

Tony Kahn said it was the most bought non-WWE PPV since WCW closed.

Meltzer said he got more feedback on Double Or Nothing than anything he's covered in the Observer at least PPV wise. More than any Wrestlemania or ECW One Night Stand.

Hi. Watched it live. Didn't pay for it. Will definitely pay for the next one.

A good friend of mine, who only watches non-WWE stuff when I bring it to his attention, went out of his way to watch Cody/Dustin. His direct quote...

I saw the cody match. It was amazing story telling. If they keep this kind of matches and story telling when they get on tv, wwe is in trouble

AE F'N W, boiz