Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

6 hours ago, Herodes said:

It’s odd that people are talking about this promotion as a thing with its own characteristics when they have only run two shows. Two shows down and the Memphis weekly loop wouldn’t have even hit Louisville yet let alone Evansville (assume Nashville start on daturdays) Over 5% of all the promotions matches thus far have featured the legendary  JEBAILEY. 

To be fair, Herodes only like stuff pre-1966.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Honestly this is like young people saying Memphis is shit because they don't understand the context of the wacky stuff that went on there sometimes. 

And that's fine. Just don't get upset when the people who do know what all that means point it out to you. 

I’m being serious, I have no idea what a jebaited emote is, no idea what a twitch is and the last time I played a video game was street fighter 2 on Super Nintendo in around 1994.

19 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Honestly this is like young people saying Memphis is shit because they don't understand the context of the wacky stuff that went on there sometimes. 

And that's fine. Just don't get upset when the people who do know what all that means point it out to you. 

I knew what it all meant.  I still thought the execution was shit and made the pre-show look bad. 

Just now, Herodes said:

I’m being serious, I have no idea what a jebaited emote is, no idea what a twitch is and the last time I played a video game was street fighter 2 on Super Nintendo in around 1994.

Not to sound like Dave here, but that just exposes you have no idea what the point was to run an event at CEO was and it makes you sound like one of the dummies on Twitter who thinks the greatest wrestlers in history all came after 1996.

Jebailey wasn't just some geek to that crowd, he's a star. So was Justin Wong, and him handing over a fight stick to use as a weapon was a pop moment for that crowd. 

I really don't see anything wrong with working for the crowd you're in front of. If they start doing some WCW shit and make him champ, that's different.

The more I hear & read from Jim Ross, the more I don't think he really fits in with AEW at all. Not even necessarily because I disagree with some of the things that he says, like on the Steve Austin Podcast, but just because he seems to contradict statements that Cody has made in the past. A lot of the times he comes off being grumpy with "well, I don't get it but it's not my business" type one-liners. I'm all for him giving AEW help but it's a bad look when you air that stuff out publicly when you work there.

As an example, Jim Ross was talking about having an established set of rules. Which I agree with. He went on to make the point that you need clearly defined rules so then you know when the bad guys are breaking them. Again, I agree with him. Makes sense. He's 100%.

But he makes those statements after Cody talks about how AEW doesn't want to have heel/face dynamics & they're going to let the crowds decide who they get behind & that the old way of thinking regarding alignment is antiquated. So it both makes it look like Jim Ross is antiquated & makes it look like he's contradicting Cody.

I don't think it's that far fetched to believe that Jim Ross won't be with AEW in a long-term role because I feel like drama will start to arise. AEW is trying to be the new, young, hip thing & Jim Ross is a guy from the old guard. They're going to clash.

2 minutes ago, Coffey said:

I don't think it's that far fetched to believe that Jim Ross won't be with AEW in a long-term role because I feel like drama will start to arise. AEW is trying to be the new, young, hip thing & Jim Ross is a guy from the old guard. They're going to clash.

Parting with JR in the near-future wouldn't surprise me in the least, although I'm sure they really want to have him for TV. Although as much as I enjoy the more modern style and presentation of AEW thus far, I definitely think it would be wise if Cody and co. take heed of the old guard's advice of having clear face/heel dynamics and established rules. 

I couldn't disagree more about JR. I think it is absolutely imperative you have somebody of his stature there to give them a credibility they wouldn't have as a new company without him. During DoN, it was so refreshing to see an old man, a dude in a mask and a frumpy middle aged guy as your announce team. I think it is also refreshing he is making his opinions known and not towing some corporate line. It is so refreshing in this day and age of branding and staying on message to have somebody just shooting the shit. 

I think it was a Tony Khan interview or the Observer that said in order for AEW to get a timeslot, they needed to bring certain people into the fold. I think Jericho and JR were part of that package. JR isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future. 

23 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

I couldn't disagree more about JR. I think it is absolutely imperative you have somebody of his stature there to give them a credibility they wouldn't have as a new company without him. During DoN, it was so refreshing to see an old man, a dude in a mask and a frumpy middle aged guy as your announce team. I think it is also refreshing he is making his opinions known and not towing some corporate line. It is so refreshing in this day and age of branding and staying on message to have somebody just shooting the shit. 

Totally agree about all of this. He talked about the Fyter Fest pre-show during the GAB 90 episode and it was cool to hear his genuine thoughts.

43 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

If you part ways with JR, you replace him by who? Joey Styles? Who could make a suitable replacement at commentary for JR?

Why replace him? Just let the other two guys do it & don't try to do a 3-man team. 

You can even hear some of the old guard stuff of his slip through on commentary sometimes. It's very noticeable. 

He is the last person on that announce team that should be dropped. For the record, I don't think you should drop any of them, even Marvez. Throughout all of wrestling, and even sports, the most iconic announcers are old dudes. Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler were older than the entire roster when they were at their peak. Lance Russell was old. Gordon Solie was old. Heenan and Gorilla were old. John Madden and Pat Summerall were old. Howard Cosell was old. Marv Albert is old. That super old dude from boxing is old. Old, familiar voices make wrestling (and sports) better. 

Agreed, @goodhelmet. In the case of hiring J.R., this is one instance where I'm glad AEW ignored the millennial "movez" fans. J.R. makes everything better and adds a credibility to AEW that money can't buy. Excalibur is very good too, but my God, that mask is goofy. I have a soft spot for Marvez because I read his "insider" column as a kid long before I knew what a Meltzer was. 

Found this on Reddit:

Am I the only one shocked by this?

I think they're awesome, but I would never have expected Corny to think so too.

BTW, there are some good responses about the terrible Dark Order gimmick in that thread. Guess PWO isn't the only one who thinks they come across as jobbers.

Yeah, they are terrific together.

But who are the "undercard trash tag teams" already ? Dark Order is a bad gimmick, but the guys underneath look awesome. What else ? Angelico & Jack Evans ? They are terrific. SCU ? They are terrific. So much potential for tons of cool tag team matches in the futur, especially when you throw in the Lucha Bros & Young Bucks at the top of the mountain.

9 hours ago, SirEdger said:

So many layers behind that move. From the historic Dusty/Tully rivalry to Tully being linked to another Perfect 10.

And is Tony Schiavone now full-time with AEW or is he freelancing?

I guess he's freelancing, but damn I would love to hear Schiavone & JR call some Rhodes matches in the futur. And Tully has a manager for Shawn Spears against Cody ? Now that's an awesome idea. 

Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy are the best kind of goofy. Instead of tryhard stuff, they embrace the over the top, colorful characteristics of mid to late 80s and early 90s WWE. I mean, they wouldn't look out of place in Rock 'n Wrestling. The fact that they can go and have the right intensity and look only helps.