Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

3 hours ago, El-P said:

Yeah, they are terrific together.

But who are the "undercard trash tag teams" already ? Dark Order is a bad gimmick, but the guys underneath look awesome. What else ? Angelico & Jack Evans ? They are terrific. SCU ? They are terrific. So much potential for tons of cool tag team matches in the futur, especially when you throw in the Lucha Bros & Young Bucks at the top of the mountain.

I guess he's freelancing, but damn I would love to hear Schiavone & JR call some Rhodes matches in the futur. And Tully has a manager for Shawn Spears against Cody ? Now that's an awesome idea. 

In Tully's case, if I understood AEW's press release, his position as "Executive Advisor" for Shawn Spears isn't a one-off. Which is great news. The longer Spears can be associated to Tully, the better it will be for him in the long run.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Angelico & Evans team are particularly awesome. They can obviously pull off some amazing stuff in the ring, but they also stand a chance of breaking out as characters.

Angelico has a certain understated swag, and Jack has PLENTY of charisma to keep the both of them covered anyhow. I hope they get a chance to make a serious run as a top-tier team.

2 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy are the best kind of goofy. Instead of tryhard stuff, they embrace the over the top, colorful characteristics of mid to late 80s and early 90s WWE. I mean, they wouldn't look out of place in Rock 'n Wrestling. The fact that they can go and have the right intensity and look only helps.

Cornette, probably to the shock of many, praised both of them to the heavens on his FTFF review.  

14 hours ago, El-P said:

Yeah, they are terrific together.

But who are the "undercard trash tag teams" already ? Dark Order is a bad gimmick, but the guys underneath look awesome. What else ? Angelico & Jack Evans ? They are terrific. SCU ? They are terrific. So much potential for tons of cool tag team matches in the futur, especially when you throw in the Lucha Bros & Young Bucks at the top of the mountain.

I guess he's freelancing, but damn I would love to hear Schiavone & JR call some Rhodes matches in the futur. And Tully has a manager for Shawn Spears against Cody ? Now that's an awesome idea. 

He didn't really phrase it like the reddit poster said, he just said they should be reserved for the top tag teams because they belong in that company.

Cornette isn't a fan of the Dark Order. He ran through the same story he's been telling for several years about when he was in charge of ROH, the Super Smash Bros was this cult favourite tag team that were horrible everytime he booked them. He thinks the gimmick is a 'popcorn fart' but he was quite complimentary of Stu Grayson. He thinks he's somebody worth persevering with because he knows how to work. Cornette had nothing nice to say about Dionne, hates the physique and his style.

He also isn't a big fan of Angelico and Evans. He believes they're both painfully thin, the fluro green attire is silly and the only thing they understand is how to flip.

He didn't bring them up, but he's been critical of the Best Friends in the past. He hates the hugging gimmick and has nothing nice to say about Chucky T. Like Grayson, he actually has a high opinion of Trent but he just doesn't like them as a pairing.

Jim is actually a big fan of SCU and has a lot of time for Daniels and Kazarian. He hasn't seen a lot of Sky, but enjoyed his work on Double Or Nothing.

He actually seemed to enjoy Fight For The Fallen than most fans and was genuinely happy that AEW were improving with each show. He did skip the pre-show though, which was his big grievance with Double Or Nothing.

I don't mind Cornette's reviews. Jim may not be in the target demographic for these shows, but he's somebody who's been around the business when it was popular and he can pick up on details that would pass others by. I'm sure many on here will find that the stuff he complains about isn't that bad or merely a sign of the times but every now and then he'll phrase something beautifully that I find myself adopting it. There's definitely limitations to his perspective, but as long as you take it for what it is and don't treat it like gospel I think it just adds to the conversation surrounding the company.

Jim is too old fashioned to be given the book in any company but there are few better people around with an eye for details and running ideas past him to get those extra little elements wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I find myself agreeing with more of what he says about these shows than I initially expect.

6 hours ago, Big Pete said:

Cornette had nothing nice to say about Dionne, hates the physique and his style.

He also isn't a big fan of Angelico and Evans. He believes they're both painfully thin, the fluro green attire is silly and the only thing they understand is how to flip.

This is such a dated opinion, honestly. I have seen Dionne (which I guess is Evil Uno) exactly *once*, wearing a shitty mask, and he struck me as very charismatic. As far as Angelico & Evans, the fluo attire look cool and totally fit their style, and as far as "they only know how to flip", well, Corny lowering himself to "lol movez" level of understanding the workers is pretty sad.

7 hours ago, Big Pete said:

He actually seemed to enjoy Fight For The Fallen than most fans and was genuinely happy that AEW were improving with each show.

That actually shows how far off he is, because Fight for the Fallen was pretty much received as the lesser of the three shows, and although I loved Omega & CIMA and think it was a great match, the show overall was nowhere close to Double or Nothing or even Fyter Fest, which did not had any "great" matches but the average level was higher and more consistent than this one.

The Road to All Out ep1 was tremendous. The way they have built the characters and issues for the big matches with these very short Youtube shows is very encouraging when you think about their futur TV product, because it's obvious this is the direction they are going (BTE being its own thing). 

I always have time for Cornette and his thoughts. I don't always agree, but there's almost always something valuable to be found in his reviews.

I don't take anyone's OPINIONS as the gospel - not Cornette, certainly not Meltzer, nobody.

There are times when some of my own reflections line up perfectly with Corny's, and then there are some things we couldn't possibly be any further apart on. I cringe any time I hear him talk about the greatness of Seth Rollins or the alleged missed opportunities with Matt Morgan, etc.

It's particularly a pretty bad look that he praises the work of Rollins and Davey Richards while condemning the work of Angelico & Evans. If anything, Jack is twice as smart as Davey and Seth because he's actually learned the value of incorporating character & personality into his matches.

That's a lesson neither Seth nor Davey have ever learned. I don't give a fuck how good their cardio is, or how many move variations they have in their arsenal. They still have remarkably low in-ring IQs, and it astounds me whenever I hear someone with Cornette's knowledge give them any kind of shine or praise.

I was thinking it might be clever to have Cody bring in Baby Doll as a counter to Shawn Spears having Tully as his manager (since she has ties to both him and Dusty), but based on her Facebook posts she probably doesn't want to do business with a company that donated to victims of gun violence.

So apparently Tony Schiavone okey-doked MLW. Court's claiming he's still under exclusive contract and didn't know Tony did anything for AEW until he read about it in the Observer.

I suppose there's also the possibility that Court's just lying out his ass here, but "I'm clueless about what other promotions and also my contracted people do until I see it in the WON" isn't the best look either.

12 hours ago, sek69 said:

So apparently Tony Schiavone okey-doked MLW. Court's claiming he's still under exclusive contract and didn't know Tony did anything for AEW until he read about it in the Observer.

I suppose there's also the possibility that Court's just lying out his ass here, but "I'm clueless about what other promotions and also my contracted people do until I see it in the WON" isn't the best look either.

Hell yeah, Tony.

On 7/19/2019 at 6:09 AM, FMKK said:

Jim is too old fashioned to be given the book in any company but there are few better people around with an eye for details and running ideas past him to get those extra little elements wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I find myself agreeing with more of what he says about these shows than I initially expect.

I think Cornette is really good at telling you what's wrong with a show and things you should communicate to the audience. Like I think when he was critical of Excalibur's commentary, he had some points but he went off the mark with the mask. I think where Cornette goes wrong is creating something to appeal to a modern audience. I guess what I'm saying is Cornette would be a good editor now.

12 hours ago, El-P said:

The more I read about court Bauer (this, Callihan supposedly "destroying" stuff in a match but that was edited out, the twitter post David Starr made about his shitty contracts), the more he comes off like a carny douchebag.

I never understood why he was gaining all this credibility online several years ago as some wrestling genius. It was like people had forgotten how the first MLW went.

3 hours ago, rovert said:

That's a lot of moving parts on the Tony situation. But expect Tony to be signed by WWE once everything shakes out. 

Whatever deal Tony ends up with is well deserved. (Deep cut - he's been on Dan St. Germain's Total F'n Marks podcast a couple of times recently and he's been a joy.)

8 hours ago, rovert said:

That's a lot of moving parts on the Tony situation. But expect Tony to be signed by WWE once everything shakes out. 

Unless he gets a Maria-like stupid money deal, I honestly would be shocked to see him go there. He didn't seem to enjoy working there the last time (granted it was forever ago but it's not like it isn't the same guy still in charge) and he seems to really enjoy calling baseball games. 

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

Unless he gets a Maria-like stupid money deal, I honestly would be shocked to see him go there. He didn't seem to enjoy working there the last time (granted it was forever ago but it's not like it isn't the same guy still in charge) and he seems to really enjoy calling baseball games. 

This.  I've heard Tony Schiavone say in multiple interviews and podcasts that calling baseball is his main passion and #1 priority.  I think he really likes Pro Wrestling, but he loves Baseball.  I can't see him taking a gig that wouldn't allow him his summers off to work for the Braves Triple A team.  Having said that - to quote Ted DiBiase, everybody has a price.  I'm sure if Vince backed up the old Brinks truck, Tony would listen.  However, if Bruce Prichard is to be believed (and that is a big if) Vince didn't even like Schaivone, Tony only got the job because Linda hired him and Vince was glad to see him go.  Apparently, he was too "southern." So I can't see Vince paying Tony enough to get him to quit doing baseball when Vince didn't even like him to begin with. 

Then again, this is 2019.  If you'd have told me a year ago that Bruce Prichard, Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff would all be working behind the scenes again in WWE, I would have laughed in your face.  So anything is possible, I suppose.  I can see Schaivone doing some sort of gig on the WWE Network that doesn't take up too much time. I've heard him say he'd love that kind of job. 

Moreover, if hiring Tony Schiavone meant we might get Michael Cole or Mauro Ranallo away from the microphone, then in the name of all that is good and decent, pay that man whatever he asks for.

17 hours ago, sek69 said:

Tony dedicated an entire WHW episode to his time in WWF. IIRC, he enjoyed and only really left due to money. There might have been some other factors, I can't remember at this time, but overall it was a positive experience for Tony.

His replies when asked on Twitter if he'd ever be put in the WWE HOF seemed to indicate he didn't think they'd ever want him back, but it seems like Vince's plan is to throw piles of cash at anyone even slightly associated with AEW (which by the way has been quite the tell that he's way more concerned about them than any other attempt at competition since WCW).