goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, El-P said:

He was a star in NOAH. Assuming he would not have got injured while unlearning to work in NXT, there's no way KENTA would not have got in the G1 earlier (and probably healthier) this decade like Marufuji did. To say that KENTA benefited from his WWE stint in any way shape of form is a huge stretch.

KENTA got injured all the time in NOAH, and both knee injuries he had in 09' and 11' pretty much changed his career as he stopped being a legit "best in the world" level worker (the first one came after he had a remarkable stretch but also a very taxing one in terms of dates and high level of matches). So yeah, it's pretty safe to say he was going to get injured again if he stayed in Japan too, dude is just injury prone. I hope New Japan safes him up for the Dome shows and gives him a soft schedule.

KENTA might've gotten the Nakajima's spot at the 2016 G-1(Marufuji was a lock in that  tourney, he's always getting the interpromotional gigs/spots for NOAH) but after that the New Japan/NOAH relationship went south and we have nothing to base any belief he would've left NOAH for New Japan had he stayed with his home promotion, specially in this scenario were he refused to leave the company in the first place in 2014.

Him going to WWE not only "liberated" him from NOAH but opened up New Japan's eyes to him. You gotta realize NJ never made any effort to book KENTA in any of the long list of interpromotional feuds, angles and matches they had over the years. Once he left WWE he got a better offer than he would've ever received had he stayed in Japan AND he didn't have any stain from the fuckery Maru pulled on New Japan in 2016.

2 hours ago, El-P said:

KUSHIDA was a star in NJ already. Having done everything in the junior division, he could very well have been pushed to the heavies anyway like Ospreay & Shingo in the G1. Again, saying KUSHIDA doing jobs in 205 Live will increase is position in Japan seems like a huge, huge stretch to me (apart from resting his body, assuming he won't get hurt).

I'm just going by history man, the large majority of japanese wrestlers that went to work for a extended period of times in the US, regardless of how shitty their role was, came back to either a bigger role in their home promotion, a bigger role in a rival promotion or to have enough pull to create their own promotion and/or become a high level free lance wrestler when needed.

I don't believe Gedo or New Japan had any plans for KUSHIDA beyond the Junior division, I think that's one of the reasons he left. Once he comes back he's either gonna get a big push in NJ or he's gonna be able to do whatever the fuck he wants as a free lance (and get a lot more money as one as if he would've stayed in NJPW and eventually left for whatever reason).

It was pretty clear KUSHIDA felt he did everything he could as a Junior and there were no plans to move him up, so he left. I wouldn't be surprised if he just used this time as like another overseas excursion like the Young Lions do. Most of the time they do jobs because the point is just to experience a new culture and style, so I could see him looking at this the same way. I'm sure he knows he won't be main eventing Mania.

44 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

I'm just going by history man, the large majority of japanese wrestlers that went to work for a extended period of times in the US, regardless of how shitty their role was, came back to either a bigger role in their home promotion, a bigger role in a rival promotion or to have enough pull to create their own promotion and/or become a high level free lance wrestler when needed.

29 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he just used this time as like another overseas excursion like the Young Lions do. Most of the time they do jobs because the point is just to experience a new culture and style, so I could see him looking at this the same way.

To me these two elements are linked, indeed. And it works for KENTA too. I would agree about the KENTA being "liberated" from NOAH by leaving and making himself basically a free agent when he came back, but to me what is overstated is the WWE factor. The main selling point is "KENTA was gone from Japan, now he's back as a free agent.". He could have gone anywhere, really, especially considering what he accomplished.

Now, if he had become a legit star or even let's say upper-mid card talent in the main roster in WWE, I would say otherwise. Despite the fact WWE probably means jackshit to Japanese fans, they still are the biggest global promotion in the world. But spending your time in NXT or wallowing in 205 purgatory really sounds like a non-factor in Japan, I would guess.

34 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I'm sure he knows he won't be main eventing Mania.

For sure. But maybe some of these guys would actually enjoy the opportunity to perform in front of a large crowd and be appreciated for their own talent and show what they can do. I doubt KUSHIDA will be able to do so very much. In NXT maybe so. In the main roster, no chance in hell. AEW would have been a much better fit considering the audience, but it wasn't even a thing then.

5 hours ago, FMKK said:

So it looks like TV for week two and three has sold out quickly as well. They're on a hell of a run here and if they pick the right markets, there's no reason it's shouldn't continue.

I really hope they hit some home runs on the early TV because that'll set the tone for the dates following. Like you say, they're building some momentum and they just have to hit the right air pocket to keep it up.

2 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

KUSHIDA's thing where people from the main roster come to NXT to fight him and lose kinda tells me they are going to push him considerably.

Having in mind that NXT is moving on to a 2 hour FS1 show, maybe things are going to turn out fine for him.

Dave's reporting WWE is trying to put NXT on USA now,  which to me seems to all but admit that WWE thinks AEW would beat them head to head if it was on FS1.

1 minute ago, sek69 said:

Dave's reporting WWE is trying to put NXT on USA now,  which to me seems to all but admit that WWE thinks AEW would beat them head to head if it was on FS1.

Well, WWE did good numbers for USA when you consider the ratings for other shows, so I guess it could be a win-win situation, although I really don't think NXT would get close to get the ratings RAW/SD did.

NXT on FS1 was supposed to be bonus content to help their new TV partner since FS1 was basically the UFC Channel when Fox had them.  Then it became the means to start Wrestling World War Two once AEW confirmed Wednesdays as their TV day. Now Vince is considering cuckolding them with USA because he doesn't even want his son-in-law's vanity fed to be seen as getting beat by the new guys. 

It's really interesting to see how this is playing out. Vince is still using his Territory/WCW playbook and is coming off as increasingly "gotten to" (as the kids say) that he can't just stomp them out like he did back in the day. Dave even mentioned that Vince was certain Kenny and the Bucks would take the big money deals WWE offered them and was flummoxed that they all turned them down.  

College basketball is an issue. Also, Chrisley Knows Best is all but dead in the water with the tax evasion charges. Plus, the oldest daughter accusing her father and brother for extortion over a sex tape. WWE is the only thing keeping USA afloat as a network and didn't want to lose SDL. Getting NXT covers several problems.

For all the talk of Vince wanting to take down AEW, you'd think Triple H was some innocent being duped by his FIL. If anything, Hunter is relishing this more than Vince.

The two things that are gonna be quite interesting when this war goes on full speed is this :

_first time AEW does something that is not a big success, doesn't sell out, gets a mediocre rating. We're gonna hear the hordes of WWE fanboys and drones go on and on and on about how AEW is dead. You know it's gonna happen.

_if ever AEW beats NXT in the ratings, it's not gonna look good for Trip because it doesn't matter if NXT is the secondary brand, WWE is still the global juggernaut that conquers all, while AEW is the young fresh and new upstart working from under.

Both sides and their fans are chomping at the bit to prove the other wrong. That's just how things go in this social media-driven world. I can only imagine how WWE vs WCW would have played on Twitter 20 years ago.

NXT had 841,000 viewers for the 13 December 2017 special shown on USA as part of that year's WWE Week. It was the 22nd-highest viewed cable show that night in the coveted 18-49 demographic. Based on that, NXT can bring in numbers. The key is to bring in the right numbers in the big categories. The same will be true for AEW.

7 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Both sides and their fans are chomping at the bit to prove the other wrong. That's just how things go in this social media-driven world. I can only imagine how WWE vs WCW would have played on Twitter 20 years ago.

Not to mention workers too. Scott Steiner on Twitter in 1998 ? 

AEW selling out 2 big buildings (7,200 and 10k) in hours is not only really impressive and another sign of how teflon they are right now, but it proves them right in the sense of focusing their efforts to their core fanbase.

One thing I don't agree with some folks here complaining about some of the acts and roster is that at this moment, AEW should be doing what they do best: be a super indy and work from there. Their audience is more than willing to spend money for them, and this first 4-5 months of TV will be a honeymoon period were they can throw stuff at the wall until 1 sticks and becomes a big angle, and once that happens the ball can get rolling for a long ass time.

Like, I don't believe their product is aimed at me and I'll most likely wont watch much of their stuff unless they surprise the fuck out of me (would be awesome), and I don't find much of what they do or much of their roster interesting at all....but I don't think I matter at all for their success. Right now, the casual fans (or older, more "traditional" fans) shouldn't be their focus at all, worry about that stuff after year 1 when they've established that their loyal fanbase will stay loyal no matter what.

I don't buy for a second that gimmicks, feuds and acts on a pre show or the low card that seem to not be working matter at all either. It's fine to not like them and even make an objective criticism about them, but let's not act like it's a big deal at this moment.

18 hours ago, sek69 said:

Or it means that FS1 has college basketball scheduled every Wednesday night from November to March, and that NXT to FS1 on a Wedneday night was never actually a feasible plan.

Conversely the basketball schedule wasn't a big deal since Wednesday wasn't considered a wrestling day until about a month ago.

You can see the pattern:

*AEW announces day*

Vince: We gotta counterprogram!  NXT's already on Wednesdays, put that on FS1!

Fox: OK, but there's going to be a a 5 month gap while we show basketball.

Vince: Goddammit! Get USA on the line!