goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Equal pay is a meaningless concept in an industry with zero transparency in the pay structure. And again, what facts we do have actually point in the other direction. AEW playing up this issue is a way for them to appear progressive without incurring any real costs. In other words, standard corporate feminism.

Britt seems happy. Had ROH work lined up and if she waited things out she would have been signed to NXT around MYC III. She also has a doctorate underneath her.  Yet she signed on the bottom line with AEW without hesitation. 

It is hard to apply in a Wrestling context. But the point person for the female AEW roster to another woman at least.

Even a bad or poorly applied equal pay promise is further than ROH, IMPACT, NXT or WWE has offered. 

On a different note entirely...

I'm talking to a friend now, and we're both wondering if Impact will even appear on the Pursuit Roku app tomorrow. "Probably not" is our guess, which is pure "LOLTNA." (I realize they're also streaming live on Twitch, which isn't on Roku officially, but still.)

This makes me wonder if AEW is smart enough to get a deal with Netflix or Amazon for live or least next-day TV. (I assume Hulu is out of the question because they have a deal with WWE, but who knows.) That would open some eyes, and it seems like an avenue most of the old farts in rasslin' have ignored. Well, you can't accuse Tony Khan, Cody and Brandi Rhodes, and the Young Bucks of being old farts. They all know what Netflix is.  

Dave did say they wouldn't have a wellness policy because most of the guys involved don't even drink, which got a lot of LOLs on the interwebs since Jericho's kind of known for being the fun drunk in public on numerous occasions. 

3 hours ago, rovert said:

Unless something substantial changes AEW will land on TBS.

Kind of surprised about this, if only for how they've spent so much time building up TBS as a comedy type network.  I'd be happy to see it happen though, as wrestling on TBS is one of those things that just should always be. 

Regarding the talk of pay, it seems like a whole lot of talk until people start getting paid. Just because someone is told one thing doesn't mean another thing doesn't happen, right? Furthermore, does anyone expect to see any proof of this "equal" pay?

In all honesty, it seems like a publicity tactic. No one of us are going to be working for them so, why advertise this business of pay equality?? This isn't Indeed, Monster or a classified ad. Its all hype but, certainly we can hope. However talk is cheap, as they say...or more succinctly put:

6 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Equal pay is a meaningless concept in an industry with zero transparency in the pay structure. And again, what facts we do have actually point in the other direction. AEW playing up this issue is a way for them to appear progressive without incurring any real costs. In other words, standard corporate feminism.

A wrestling show on TBS of any kind would be a pretty cool throwback for wrestling fans. I certainly hope that turns out to be true.

7 hours ago, WrestlingFan said:

What the fuck ? Don't tell me Kenny Omega and the Bucks are pussies who don't drink.

If this is a serious post, Fuck You. Alcohol destroys lives and not drinking it certainly doesn't make you a pussy.  Keep your "Real Men Drink Beer" bullshit to yourself. 

Is TBS a big channel? As big as USA? I don't really know a lot about how American TV networks work in comparison to U.K. ones. I'm interested in how they might distribute internationally and how UK fans could see their show.

The most efficient way to expand their distribution rapidly would be to deal with Amazon or Netflix probably. I know Amazon Prime is looking into the live sports arena and has already signed up the men's tennis tour. I think they're looking into Premier League football as well. So it might be the most likely destination if they go down that route.

Content-wise TBS and USA are on the lower tier of attention compared to places like FX or AMC which have a longer history of more acclaimed original programming. TBS got a lot of attention when Conan O'Brien chose them for his new show after leaving NBC, and since marketed themselves much more as a comedy channel though I think they still show some sports (baseball I think?) so AEW wouldn't be too afar a fit I think. 

3 hours ago, FMKK said:

Is TBS a big channel? As big as USA? I don't really know a lot about how American TV networks work in comparison to U.K. ones. 

flyonthewall nailed it with TBS's place in the pecking order, but it's also worth noting that TBS was instrumental in the success of cable television as a concept. They were one of the first big ones and remained there for many years, pretty much until the AOL/Time Warner merger that killed WCW.

If AEW does sign with TBS, I don't see the weekly show being on Saturday night, but you can be damn sure Cody will want at least a special on at 6:05 just to do it.

4 hours ago, Laz said:

flyonthewall nailed it with TBS's place in the pecking order, but it's also worth noting that TBS was instrumental in the success of cable television as a concept. They were one of the first big ones and remained there for many years, pretty much until the AOL/Time Warner merger that killed WCW.

If AEW does sign with TBS, I don't see the weekly show being on Saturday night, but you can be damn sure Cody will want at least a special on at 6:05 just to do it.

TBS is also wildly different to how it was in the 90's, when it had Clint Eastwood marathons every Thanksgiving and Bond movie marathons every so often too. It was also very Atlanta-centric to some degree because it aired Braves and Hawks games as opposed to the more widespread MLB and NBA coverage the Turner networks have now. 

USA is basically the same as it was in the 90's, but less older movies. 

TBS was originally WTBS (or WTCG first I believe), a local Atlanta station that Ted took national. He also had ownership in the Braves and Hawks in the 80s/90s which is why they had their games on there. Wrestling was one of the bedrock shows that he used to take his station nationwide, which is why he never listened to the execs that tried to get him to dump it. He had a loyalty to it because it helped make TBS back in the day.  

The Peachtree network mentioned above is actually the original WTBS that was spun off to remain a local Atlanta affiliate when TBS was turned in to a more "serious" network. 

• Loss pinned and locked this topic
  • Loss unlocked and unpinned this topic