goodhelmet

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

Reading now that Fenix is fine and will be wrestling tonight.

How does he go from a leg injury to fine?

Worked injury?

Or ignoring the injury and working through it with a combination of booze and pain pills because of any or all of the following?

- "The bidness comes first, BROTHERRR!"

- "I can work through the pain, DADDY!"

- "I don't miss a shot, but I've missed weddings, funerals, my kids' lives, etc., JACK!"

3 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Are you suggesting that AEW could basically prevent MJF to work MLW in the future? 'Cause if that's the case, that'd be a pretty big blow for MLW.

That they can't do, at least for the length of whatever contract he has with MLW. But they can probably prevent guys from taking random indies (Janela, for instance, is doing a farewell tour at the moment because he won't be doing indies after October). 

On 8/23/2019 at 8:08 PM, sek69 said:

The Attitude Era had JR and Lawler were a combined 90 or so and DX was cutting edge for the time. It's what's presented in the ring that attracts the fresh alternative.

Plus having an older voice to call the action is a staple of the type of wrestling AEW is going for. You had Gordon Solie, Bob Caudle, Lance Russell, and so forth being the ones telling the audience what was going on in a manner that wasn't dumbed down or presented in a way that presumed the viewers were all victims of a traumatic brain injury. 

Besides, so far we've had far more of the Mid South/JCP/WCW era Jim Ross rather than the WWE "BAH GAWD" style. 

Personally I disagree. It's not necessarily Ross or Tony I have a problem with in isolation, it's more the referential nature of both appointments. 

I'm not trying to discredit either's ability, but I think if you're trying to portray something as a cutting edge, fresh product, then using old tired names to present the product will work to your detriment. Oh well

I hope I'm proved wrong tbh but it just feels a bit old

6 hours ago, Dale Wolfe said:

Personally I disagree. It's not necessarily Ross or Tony I have a problem with in isolation, it's more the referential nature of both appointments. 

I'm not trying to discredit either's ability, but I think if you're trying to portray something as a cutting edge, fresh product, then using old tired names to present the product will work to your detriment. Oh well

I hope I'm proved wrong tbh but it just feels a bit old

They also have a commentator in a lucha mask. As silly as that is, you're not looking at the full picture if you're acting like only Ross and Tony are there. 

Has it even been confirmed that Tony will be doing commentary?

Excalibur ought to be solo- he's that good. I thought the criticism of Alex Marvez was too harsh- he is learning and trying. 

I get that Good Ol' JR was first hired for NJPW and then AEW because he is the most respected old school announcer and a good face for a company, but the feedback on him was bad for NJPW (where it was night and day between him and Kevin Kelly) and just as bad for AEW. He's been moody, drunk, inaccurate, politically incorrect, does not know the new moves, and acts like a cliched 67-year old Baby Boomer. Should stick to interviews. Tony would be an upgrade since he doesn't go into business for himself, but the two of them? Only if you are addicted to nostalgia.

I've said it before, I take Tony at his best vs JR at his best any day. And honestly in 2019, I take Tony over JR in a heartbeat. To me JR has been mighty fine in AEW thus far, much better than he has been on NJ, but Tony's work in MLW shows how dynamic he still is today (plus I feel like he enjoys the modern product more), and he doesn't have that grumpy side good ol' JR can showcase at times (moreso on his podcast than on AEW broadcast thus far though). JR still is the Name, so he's valuable for that reason only.

On 8/26/2019 at 12:43 PM, El-P said:

I've said it before, I take Tony at his best vs JR at his best any day. And honestly in 2019, I take Tony over JR in a heartbeat. 

I agree with both of these points. I like JR but I enjoy Tony's delivery quite a bit more. Tony is the best at making something feel important. 

On 8/24/2019 at 11:18 PM, C.S. said:

Has it even been confirmed that Tony will be doing commentary?

TV commentators will be JR, Excalibur, and that Goodboy guy who did Fyter Fest. Everyone seemed to enjoy their work.

Tony will basically be a utility guy and do what he can between Georgia sports and MLW commitments. I would love to see him do segments like the "WWF Magazine" ones Mean Gene used to do where he would recap feuds/angles. 

15 hours ago, kid dracula said:

I was genuinely bummed out to hear about Moxley's injury. He was so great in the G1 and I was very much looking forward to seeing him with Omega. Can anyone comment on how Pac has looked since leaving WWE?

Can't comment on his Dragon Gate stuff, but his first forays back onto the Indie scene, especially here in the UK got very mixed reviews from people. I think people were hoping he would be able to let loose, but instead in a lot of his matches it seemed like he was too intent on getting over his 'bastard' character to the detriment of the match. A lot of the negativity was more though that he never seemed like he could lose due to being a title holder in Dragon Gate, so you had matches against the likes of Zack Sabre Jnr and Will Ospreay where the matches themselves were good to great but had dodgy finishes, that the crowd knew was coming. 

Over the last few months though he's been much more impressive, in particular finding a really good formula when in their with some younger names where they've actually managed to take the crowds perceived belief he wont lose and manipulate this into creating real drama. As good examples see his matches with Michael Oku in RevPro and Cara Noir in Riptide, the latter of which is I think on Youtube. Cautiously optimistic that he's getting back into the groove now and finding the right balance between character and in ring.  

So tonight on TNT, they aired a special on All Out going over the main matches. Mostly Cody/Spears and Hangman/Jericho. I have only seen like one AEW match so I'm not that plugged into the angles and stuff. I thought they did a great job on Cody vs Spears. The Spears interview with JR was really good. I had my doubts after the chair shot that they could tell the story but I was wrong and they hit a home run with the backstory. And it's great that Tully Blanchard will be on tv in 2019.

I thought the Hangman stuff was pretty laughable. I know people here hate Seth Rollins but I sensed a lot of similarities between the two.  Hangman's interview was very Seth like and just sounded fake. I'm guessing he's winning the title which I guess is better than Omega winning it. Speaking of Omega, I thought out of all the executive vice presidents, he sounded the best and most professional. I"m sad that he vs Mox isn't happening because they did a decent job building to that. The bucks looked the opposite of professional and looked like little kids that found money to run a promotion. 

Overall, I think they did a good job building to the ppv but I'll wait till the tv starts to watch the company.

I tried to watch the TNT teaser show with an open mind as perhaps a first time viewer. 

I am torn on the use of Moxley, Cody and Jericho.  I can see people getting a TNA-lite feel from them as former WWE talent are pushed to the top.  The same thing goes for million year old JR, and Schiavone. Plus we got cameos from Billy Gunn and Dustin. 

Hangman Page and Kenny Omega are visually similar. One or the other might want to alter their look a bit to help a new fan differentiate. 
       https://i.ytimg.com/vi/MrnNea1zfvg/maxresdefault.jpg

The Young Bucks continue to look like geeks.  The muscle poses (with no bodies) and awkward promos, combined with a Hardy Boyz vibe just doesn't work for me. 

I think one issue for me is I grew up during an era of bulky fighters, where as a younger fan has come up in a world where MMA has shown us even the small guys are tough and talented.  It is a disconnect I have yet to recover from. 

Shawn Spears and Tully owned this show.  Realistic promos building to a match with an effective background and build. Cody learned from his Dad to write the show to build up his angle as much as possible as Cody/Spears had multiple segments split up throughout. 

They built Jericho up strong. Page almost has to win the title now based on the build. I don't think Jericho should be saying he has almost 29 years in the business. He keeps his look fresh, so he doesn't feel stale. Exposing his patina doesn't really aid his cause.

She went on the shelf after Double or Nothing with an unspecified medical issue, deleted her Twitter account a few weeks ago, and now this. I saw some vague thirdhand gossip on the F4W board that something unfortunate happened that derailed her career but it wasn't a mental breakdown or anything scandalous. Still, it is a concerning chain of events. Does rovert have the scoops?

On 8/31/2019 at 7:26 AM, BruiserBrody said:

I don't think Jericho should be saying he has almost 29 years in the business. He keeps his look fresh, so he doesn't feel stale. Exposing his patina doesn't really aid his cause.

To be fair, this isn’t 1993 and “youngster Carlos Colon” anymore.  Anyone with access to a good search engine can find stuff going back to pre-ECW on Jericho.  

To say nothing about Jericho’s Raw debut is on any WWE “top debut” compilations, and that is hitting its 20th Anniversary this month (wouldn’t surprise me if this time it gets trotted out with some fun poking intent).

I get the point that Jericho himself shouldn’t call attention to it, but at the end of the day, it is pretty common knowledge that he’s been around since, well, before WCW was the name of a promotion!

1 hour ago, El-P said:

I warned there was a lot of moving parts I didn't just say Tony was going to WWE. The key moving part was Tony's MLW contract which ultimately he wasn't let out of so he couldn't join WWE.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

He had the scoop on Schiavone going to WWE though. He even quoted himself having the scoop...

Troll harder: