All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TBS would be sweet for me, just for nostalgia sake. Especially if AEW were to try to present itself in a similar vein to how WCW used to. Tony Khan did say he was a big WCW fan.

That being said, I hope they get away from the comedy stuff. Like at All-In. Just don't even bother with Joey Ryan at all...

25 minutes ago, sek69 said:

There's a place for everything in wrestling I think. Comedy's fine as long as it's not the central focus, or grade school poop joke nonsense like Vince seems to prefer. 

Is there really a wide expanse between poop jokes and dick jokes?

11 hours ago, Matt D said:

Is there really a wide expanse between poop jokes and dick jokes?

Taint that big a difference....

In all seriousness though, I don't think giant penis costumes would get past Turner's Standards and Practices unless they've chilled out quite a bit over the years anyway.

Comedy wrestling is fine, in the right dosages. Santino and R-Truth are massively over in part because they are very good at comedy - being actually good wrestlers sure helps too. Even former main eventers like Angle and Austin had their comedic segments, and that didn't hamper them.

However to go from that to giant penis druids is quite the leap. If they manage to write comedy skits and comedy matches in the right doses, they can only benefit from it.

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

Any idea what the commentator situation is going to look like? It's not going to be Conrad, is it? Any inside scoop there?

I wonder if this Conrad-AEW association means no Season 2 of Something Else to Wrestle With on WWE Network? Or does Bruce Prichard go at it alone or come back with a new co-host for the Network version of the show?

9 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Apparently, looks like it's gonna be JR at commentary but I don't know who'll be on color with him.

He is soooo terrible on NJPW.  Hope they hire someone different. Hoping for Excalibur.  Probably will depend on how much content they are making.

Nothing screams "new, hip, social media compatible, inclusive or whatever # millenials love" than good ol' JR... Schiavone would be a much better choice at this point, if you really want to have an old-school touch, he's doing a really solid job in MLW. Hey, the Bucks should contact Corny, ah ah ah.

10 hours ago, El-P said:

Schiavone would be a much better choice at this point, if you really want to have an old-school touch, he's doing a really solid job in MLW.

I had this same thought. Tony still sounds really good. JR seems like his heart isn't in it anymore. At least it wasn't when he was doing New Japan. Plus Jim has had a tough last couple of years.

I would prefer someone new entirely or Tony Schiavone.

17 minutes ago, rovert said:

It is a clash for sure. 

I will say also there's a lot of rumor and conjecture about JR's participation in AEW Meltzer has lightly alluded to it. But so the story goes Jim thought he would have more control over AEW than he's being offered. 

Nobody is so fucking stupid as to give JR a bunch of control in 2019.

I'd prefer J.R. over Schiavone any day of the week, but they really should try for new voices and a new look.

If they have to lean into nostalgia, J.R. is the obvious choice because he was the soundtrack of a winning organization at its height. 

I have no idea who or what Excalibur is, but holy fuck, what a dumb, credibility-killing name. For all the flack Vince and co. get for changing names and gimmicks, it makes sense in certain cases. "Their main commentator's name is...Excalibur" would be an instant punchline. 

• Loss pinned and locked this topic
  • Loss unlocked and unpinned this topic