All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Randy Orton in AEW would have been interesting to me for a couple of reasons. Firstly, his obvious star power. He's like a 40 time world champion in WWE or some shit. Secondly, DDP is around in AEW. So they could do some sort of Diamond Cutter/RKO thing. And third, I wanted to see how much Orton towered over the majority of the AEW roster, despite not seeming huge in WWE. Like when Billy Gunn went to Impact. Sometimes it's easy to forget how big some of these fuckers are. 

The main reason is just that AEW needs more big name stars. Jericho was huge. Punk would have been great. Orton would have been great. Moxley was huge. But I still feel like they need more while they build up their guys like Cody, Darby, Luchasaurus, etc.

I think Orton as a character peaked in 2004 with the young cocky little shit who was every bit as good as he said he was shtick. His subsequent face turn and the consistently weak booking with Triple H killed his momentum and he never fully recovered.

His run this decade is a big negative for me because he genuinely came across as a black hole of charisma who dragged down all his programs. Although I did enjoy him starting Mark Henry's hall of pain world title run. 

Yeah, honestly, Orton would have been a bad fit for AEW. Someone still in his prime or not used right in WWE coming over is fine, but a guy like Orton whose career is basically entirely behind him coming over totally would have that TNA syndrome of WWE veteran coming to cash up a paycheck. Plus, I don't think there's anyway you can undo 20 years of WWE. Moxley came from the indies (pretty much like most notable and ground breaking worker of the last 20 years), he just had to push a switch to become someone else.

About the video, yeah, how can anyone hate on these guys ? Some really fun stories told here. I hope the Bucks get some women on this show, because it really help showcase real-life personnality and I love it. I wish Dynamite would have a bit more of this and BTE taste (because the more "sports oriented" product with JR blabbing about "physicality" every two minutes because he doesn't know the moves or the names of the people is not my favourite thing about AEW), but as long as they still do it on Youtube, I'm fine with it.

11 hours ago, Coffey said:

The main reason is just that AEW needs more big name stars. Jericho was huge. Punk would have been great. Orton would have been great. Moxley was huge. But I still feel like they need more while they build up their guys like Cody, Darby, Luchasaurus, etc.

I'd agree with you if those guys haven't been more entertaining in 6 weeks than the "big name stars" have for 10 years.

Kevin Nash didn't draw on top for Vince but ended up being a big deal in WCW so it depends on a lot of factors. I do think Orton jumping might have got some curiosity viewers for the first couple of weeks but he would quickly settle down into being the same boring old guy and interest would fade.

Jericho's run as ace of AEW is up there with the best ace runs I have seen in the last 20 years. It's been a lot of fun to see him run with the ball. Jericho absolutely losing his shit and acting as if his entire world has come crashing down after Scorpio Sky pinned arguably got Sky as over as all the high-flying matches,  because not only did he lose, he acted as if the loss meant a huge deal. He's like the anti-HHH in that regard. 

1 hour ago, El-P said:

The idea of AEW programs taped from the Jericho Cruise, on the boat, is so awesome. It takes Club LaVella Nitros to another level. Can't wait. I hope AEW does a bunch of this kind of different stuff.

Darby Allin is going to coffin drop from the top of the ship onto a crowd. It'll be like New Jack's balcony dives but crossed with the guy hitting the propeller in Titanic.

9 hours ago, MoS said:

I think Orton as a character peaked in 2004 with the young cocky little shit who was every bit as good as he said he was shtick. His subsequent face turn and the consistently weak booking with Triple H killed his momentum and he never fully recovered.

His run this decade is a big negative for me because he genuinely came across as a black hole of charisma who dragged down all his programs. Although I did enjoy him starting Mark Henry's hall of pain world title run. 

The RKO meme is more entertaining than anything he has ever done.

3 hours ago, FMKK said:

Kevin Nash didn't draw on top for Vince but ended up being a big deal in WCW so it depends on a lot of factors. I do think Orton jumping might have got some curiosity viewers for the first couple of weeks but he would quickly settle down into being the same boring old guy and interest would fade.

Nash has charisma and personality - two things Orton is lacking in spades.

Plus, different time. Being the WWF Champion still meant something then. It was still a big deal. The belt really did make the wrestler back then. When he went back to WCW, he was going there as one of the top guys in the history of wrestling.

In the WWF, Nash was expected to draw against big cartoon stiffs and never got to work with anyone worth a damn until the Bret feud, which ended up being some of his best work there. In WCW it was more personality driven which was directly in his wheelhouse. 

I mean, the nWo wasn't exactly rocket science. You get three great promo guys at the start and let them run wild, the checks write themselves. 

19 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Nash has charisma and personality - two things Orton is lacking in spades.

Dude, seriously? We're going to pretend that Randy Orton doesn't have charisma now? C'mon, man... You can dislike him, not enjoy his character/booking or think that he's been treading water for awhile now but let's not be ridiculous. Statements like this are going to make people ignore anything you ever say.

I always say this about Orton: 

He's a wrestler that I never seek out.  I've never sat down with the intent of watching a Randy Orton match.  I have, however, happened to watch a number of his matches and really enjoyed them.  That said, I still won't seek out one of his matches.  

Weird, right?

16 minutes ago, Coffey said:

Dude, seriously? We're going to pretend that Randy Orton doesn't have charisma now? C'mon, man... You can dislike him, not enjoy his character/booking or think that he's been treading water for awhile now but let's not be ridiculous. Statements like this are going to make people ignore anything you ever say.

I totally agree that Orton has zero charisma. The reason he's over with the crowd is because he's been there forever and pushed to the moon forever since the very start. To me he's the more forced pro-wrestler ever. He's walking down the ramp and just nothing happens at all. He's sucking my will of watching anything from him by the sheer force of his inner void. When I first stumbled back onto WWE programs in the mid 00's and I saw this guy, I immediately knew modern WWE was not for me, as there was nothing to see. No charisma, no discernable look (just a bunch of bad tribal tatoos) and a final move that he basically lifted from DDP (the move and the act). And then there's the Viperrrrr Randy Orton. Wanna talk about bad acting, forced drama, goofy as fuck maneurism and robotic shit ? This is it. the whole hitting the ground with his fist. I tried and tried and tried, during the Cena days and those million awfully boring, neverending matches they had together. I gave Orton the Black Hole moniker and I stand by it. The fact Foley worked a miracle match with him is a testament to his genius, because otherwise, there's nothing to remember from this guy, ever. It's like he never happened.

The fact he gets a pass despite the accusation of sexual harrassement, being a total douchebag with the Divas back in the days and apparently racist posting blows my mind too.

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

Here you go...

https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/ignore/

1 hour ago, El-P said:

I totally agree that Orton has zero charisma.

Je vous remercie!