goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, FMKK said:

If the secondary show is a place where they can stretch out a bit and air some of those great promo packages that have mostly been consigned to youtube, that would be great. Those, some studio-style promos and two lower midcard matches would be the perfect format. 

From what I have heard, that seems to be the plan. Basically, migrating Dark onto the network, focussing more on up and coming wrestlers, and airing more vignettes and such. That sounds good to me. I was a bit worried they were going to add another hour or two of matches every week. With Dynamite and Dark and BTE and WotRGRS already on my viewing list, adding another AEW wrestling show would be edging into WWE-esque "it's getting to be a chore to keep up with everything" territory.

4 hours ago, sek69 said:

AEW has sold 10,000 tickets for the 3/25 Dynamite show in Newark

First of all, the fact that anyone voluntarily goes to Newark still blows my mind. But that place is the new Meadowlands so things have changed. Also, that's drawing the New York/ New Jersey/ Philly fanbase who of course are gonna turn out.

Meanwhile, in Colorado....Dynamite is coming here to Broomfield at the First Bank Center, a place I've seen concerts and WWE House Shows that holds 6,500. And there are still lots of tickets available. I got my ticket the day they went on sale, because here in Denver and the surrounding area, RAW and Smackdown at the Pepsi Center sell out because it's TV , but house shows at The FBC and The Budweiser Center in Loveland never sell out.

AEW got a lot of local media coverage the day they announced here, but there's been no local presence as far as ads on TV, but they might have radio spots, though. I haven't seen a billboard in Denver, which surprises me. 

It's all part of finding an audience out here in the West and I love it, but I really thought the place would have sold out by now. Walk up won't be a thing really, since The FBC isn't in a city or town. It's an exit on US- 36.

5 minutes ago, C.S. said:

No show thread this week? I didn't even have any desire to tune in. Is the bloom finally off the rose?

Cody vs. Dustin deserved that MOTY though, and man, what a swank plaque. 

It seems like every week someone makes a comment like that when it's clear no one gets around to it lol. 

Personally I thought it was a decent little show, I liked The Hybrid 2 with their tribute skeleton gear and Jack Evans doing the La Parka dance down the ramp in tribute. 

3 hours ago, C.S. said:

No show thread this week? I didn't even have any desire to tune in. Is the bloom finally off the rose?

Cody vs. Dustin deserved that MOTY though, and man, what a swank plaque. 

They are doing better numbers than they were in December, and they have settled into a nice pattern. I am really enjoying following it week to week. I think they will become more must-see as we get closer to their PPV. Next week MJF will lash Cody, and he will be in Alabama, so there's probably an over/under on whether he makes an incest joke. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 12:32 PM, NintendoLogic said:

In case you were wondering whether Val Venis has terrible opinions on Nyla Rose and the transgender community in general, you can rest assured that he does.

http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2020/02/16/ex-pro-wrestler-val-venis-loses-it-on-twitter-after-trans-wrestler-nyla-rose-is-crowned-womens-champion/

I had Val as a Facebook friend (this was back when I found it novel to add wrestlers for no good reason), and he was totally loony tunes. I eventually had to unfriend him.

9 hours ago, sek69 said:

Cody's so good he can get people jobs in other companies now. He mentioned in a media call yesterday he was looking at Chris Bey when asked about AEW signing more wrestlers of color, and later in the day Impact announced they signed him. 

The rising tide of AEW is lifting a lot of boats in wrestling at the moment.

The best match I saw live last year was the New Japan Cup match between Archer and Ospreay. Archer was great, beating the hell out of the much smaller Ospreay and tossing him around in genuinely dangerous-looking ways and then believably bumping and selling when it was time for the little guy to make his comeback. 

Do you think a guy like that might be a good fit in AEW? I think so.