Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

7 hours ago, Superstar Sleeze said:

I popped for the Maryland State Athletic Commission fining them for juice. Some things never change. Also Kenny Omega's real name is Tyson Smith...I mean I dunno...he just doesnt seem like a Tyson. I guess I always thought Ken/Kenny was his real first name.

Not the first time a wrestling name has been the better one to fit a person. Is Hogan really a Terry? Rock really a Dwayne?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This PPV has a snakebit feel to it already, with three people getting injured during the go-home show. 

Well, Janela is a ladder match is not the worse choice, but I was under the impression Fenix could win the whole thing. Plus really, getting injured now, after months of getting back in shape, really sucks.

Speaking of injury and taking time off and as far as the mystery guy goes, I'd bet on Brian Cage, since he was supposed to sign with AEW months ago. If they get him hopefully they sign Melissa Santos too and use her the proper way.

The July show was set to be their London debut and would feature the debut of Anthony Ogogo apparently. I was planning to travel for whatever show they’d put on over here so that’s unfortunate but obviously not unexpected at the moment.

Yeah, it may come off really tone death in this context (making the thing about her and all), but the point she makes about being put in a double-bind situation by her "own community" all the time I totally get. This is totally real, especially for women who date/marry "out of their community", sadly... 

Agree about the timing. But that's the trick about being in a double-bind situation though, you're fucked either way. But in trying to explain why she hasn't spoke up earlier, she comes off pretty cringy just because of the timing, indeed.

Can't wait to have someone twist that into "Another proof AEW is awful"...

7 hours ago, MoS said:

The point she is making is not invalid, but like, the absolute worst possible time. 

This. Folks marrying outside their "people" tend to get shit from all sites over it, but that was the most Stephlike way to do address it.

All she had to do was say she was struggling to get the words right or whatever.

I kind of dislike the pressuring celebrities into making public statements like this though, if only because it makes it into an empty PR exercise when they figure out that they need a well worded social media post in good time.

9 minutes ago, joeg said:

Isn't Jericho pretty much always working when on social media? 

Yeah, but he also lets a lot of shit heads get time on his podcast too so I'm not gonna buy "I was just working" as an excuse here. 

Honestly, hashtags are stupid, whatever they are. It only produces sheep mentality and polarization. Don't think about the complexity of the issues of the world, just post a hashtag with the "right" opinion, whatever you think it is, and there you go, you've done the right thing and you can feel good about yourself for the day.

Anyway. Let's not make this thread about something other than its topic though. PWO.

I remember when I saw Fozzy at a festival I was at a few years back when he was still with WWE and I thought he was one of the greatest workers ever because plays the character of a washed-up rockstar so well (this was just after he started growing his hair and getting those godawful tattoos). Looking at how he's been the last few years, it's become evidently clear that he's not been playing a character. He's had coronavirus deniers and Donald Trump Jr. on his podcast recently, I'm not surprised he's an #AllLivesMatters guy. Guy isn't working at all. 

A lot of the EVPs and even Tony Khan displayed a lot of the worst signs of their personalities or what the public perceives as their personalities this weekend.

In my opinion, AEW showed that they are still a very young company by not recognising the significance of this weekend and AEW's exposure to potential criticism. Tony displayed a lack of leadership by not calling an emergency conference call with his EVPs in how to handle things and displaying a uniform message.

That said AEW is also the most over-analysed Wrestling company on social media. And there's a portion of social media who know how to game and/or weaponise the app and/or turn even the most thoughtful statement against you.  

This is PWO and this is as far as I'll go and you are free to disagree. 

My response would be that AEW is not above mistakes. I think people are more forgiving because most of the time when they make them, they quickly learn from them and correct for the future. They don't have the stubborn streak of WWE where they think they are always right and never have to apologize or change course on anything. I am pretty lenient with any wrestling company that makes mistakes -- sometimes even major ones -- if they also have a track record of learning from those mistakes.