Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

55 minutes ago, rovert said:

She's wrestling Diamante as she's one of her few friends. A pet opponent basically. Things will get really interesting if she gets over and then gets to wrestle people she had past with or friends of people who she had a past with.

If anything draws in 2020, is it real life heat?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, El-P said:

Speaking of people who haven't surfaced anywhere after LU, surprisingly to me, where the hell are Marty The Moth and Cheerleader Melissa ?

I don't know about Cheerleader Melissa (here's someone who should have a bigger spotlight - so should LuFisto, but that's my Quebec bias speaking here) but I believe Marty The Moth is more focused on an acting career. At least, last time I checked. He worked a few indies since the end of LU but that's pretty much it.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/nba-playoffs-force-three-aew-dynamitetnt-schedule-changes-316761

Most interesting is a late night Dynamite show after the games and Inside on the 26th, followed by a live show at 8pm the next night.....with both said to be "loaded up" ala Bash at the Beach or Fyter Fest.  Using the first night to promote the second is booking 101

Huge basketball fan but not having cable I follow thru alternative methods.....now I'm curious how TNT has been promoting them during the games and how much they'll ramp it up during the playoffs.  It's a great sign for AEW if their ratings go up during this stretch

So, that Women Battle Bowl thingy : Veda Scott announcing with Schiavone, Shaul Guerrero doing ring announcing, Madusa doing the introductory speach.

And then Allie totally cheated to get to team with Brandi, which was a really fun take on the old wrestling trope of "OMG ! what luck !". So, this should be fun...

So, The Nightmare Sisters beat Penelope & Mel, you guessed who did the job. Allie vs Penelope was solid. Brandi is akin to Mongo : great personality, excellent promo, bless her heart in the ring. BTW, she's turning heel *again*, but this time I believe it will make more sense because I got the feeling a Cody heel turn is coming too at some point. I'd love to see the Cody & Brandi heel duo machine again.

Ariane Andrews sure got character. And yeah, she screwed up one spot. One or two, ok... She also did the job and was KOed by Nyla afterward. Nyla sold her knee like a champ, that girl can do anything, she's got so much potential to become great eventually. Anna Jay & Tay Conti can be a fun team, Conti kicking Nyla square in the face was a highlight, that girl also got tons of potential. She really sounds brazilian when she speaks English too.

Not getting any classics from that stuff, but a fun 40mn Youtube show, plus it gets the women some more in-ring time too.

From what I'm hearing, Anna Jay looked like a million bucks again - which is pretty telling of her potential. AEW might have found the girl to build the division around for the future.

I was considering skipping this but knowing that Veda is doing commentary with Tony Schiavone and Shaul Guerrero is doing ring announcing duties, I might give it a look after all! Just good to see Shaul involved again in some capacity in the wrestling business.

So with Vickie full time and Shaul coming in for this I wonder if we'll see husband Aiden English (or whatever his non WWE name is) come in at some point.

I'm expecting AEW to ramp up on bringing people in again since Cody indicated the second show will be starting soon* and they want it to focus on people not regularly on Dynamite.

*all the clickbait sites were reporting it as Dynamite going to 3 hours but Cody was clear it's a separate third weekly hour, not an extension on the existing show. 

7 hours ago, sek69 said:

So with Vickie full time and Shaul coming in for this I wonder if we'll see husband Aiden English (or whatever his non WWE name is) come in at some point.

I'm expecting AEW to ramp up on bringing people in again since Cody indicated the second show will be starting soon* and they want it to focus on people not regularly on Dynamite.

*all the clickbait sites were reporting it as Dynamite going to 3 hours but Cody was clear it's a separate third weekly hour, not an extension on the existing show. 

English seems like a good utility guy to have around.

The one tough thing for them, particularly with COVID now, is that I think they'd probably want guys to get indy runs to freshen up between them and WWE, but it's really not an option now. The reason people care about Cody is he evolved an incredible amount in his time outside WWE before he was on a large national stage again.

I get what AEW were intending with the paid tier for female fans, but it was a bad idea that is rightfully being criticised. Asking female fans to pay money to be part of a group does not address any systemic issue with sexism in the industry, and it just comes across bad. 

5 minutes ago, Superstar Sleeze said:

I have another 1.5 hours in my night shift. What's the Brandi Rhodes controversy about?

She started basically a fan group for women called AEW Heels with the stated goal of being a place for women to talk about wresting and be inclusive and whatnot, which is cool but they were charging $50 for it and that rubbed people the wrong way. I suppose she got so much criticism over it she shut her Twitter down.

My first thought when I saw them advertising that was, "how many creepy guys will sign up pretending to be women?"  Just a bad idea all around IMO....

Another strong Dynamite episode this week.  AEW has been must see for me for a while now, which I didn't think would be possible early on in the pandemic.  They've adjusted and the shows have a unique energy and feel to them that actually makes me forget that it's essentially an empty arena show.  Daly's place is the perfect venue, but from top to bottom I think they've done a hell of a job under extremely difficult circumstances.

Honestly, all things considered in a making lemonade sort of way I think we'll probably look back at this period of time as to when AEW really found it's footing as a promotion, if it hadn't already.  I think there's going to be even stronger brand loyalty and affinity for AEW from fans for continuing to put on a strong product while WWE circles the drain....

Honestly that's why I think the pay wall is smart. It is a good deterrent for creeps and trolls. Yes there are sadly creeps and trolls that will still join, but at least you will exclude the cheap ones. She is providing a service by building a community for these ladies so they can talk. It is not ridiculous to charge. If she really got bullied off Twitter for having the audacity to charge people that's pretty fucking ridiculous.  

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

She started basically a fan group for women called AEW Heels with the stated goal of being a place for women to talk about wresting and be inclusive and whatnot, 

Actually, a fan group "for women" is exactly the definition of "exclusive". :lol: Also, not all women are fans of heels (like, not at all)... And I mean, "paying" for being in a group fan to do what exactly ?

8 hours ago, El-P said:

Actually, a fan group "for women" is exactly the definition of "exclusive". :lol: Also, not all women are fans of heels (like, not at all)... And I mean, "paying" for being in a group fan to do what exactly ?

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/aew-launches-female-focused-online-wrestling-community-316911

There's at least theoretically a $50 annual value there. 

(It's basically a networking group combined with a fan club, which is an interesting idea.)

I think a lot of it was bad timing, having a safe place for women to hang out and discuss the rasslin' on the heels ( no pun intended) of #SpeakingOut rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and made it sound like AEW was saying women should pay them to avoid the creepers. Which clearly wasn't their intent I don't believe, but shit happens and apparently Brandi can't keep from showing her Steph-like tendencies when facing criticism,