All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, that's is a total WTF moment ! Yeah, I figured the guy was a WWE lifer. I hope they fucking call him the Giant ! :lol:

Hey, a special appearance here and there and put people over, why not. But let's not get the way of the Stinger, who has been diminishing returns each and every week thus far (well, until his ass got powerbombed, that was unexpected)

Yeah, lots of things he can do that don't involve comedy or having him wrestle weekly. Also, while a comparison to Sting is somewhat apt, I kinda think there's more you can do with Big Show based - paradoxically - his size and versatility. 

It looks like he's on-board as a commentator, which is fine. They have that second show starting sometime, right? He can't be any worse than JR. Speaking of JR, I'd kinda like to hear Show and Excalibur together, though I worry they're going to put Big Show with JR and have Tony and Excalibur as the other 2-man booth. Dropping JR entirely would be, to me, addition by subtraction. 

If he does get in the ring...I know its been close to 15 years, but one of my favorite Big Show runs was his Extreme Giant phase. He did a backbreaker that looked like a finish. I'm not sure he can still perform any or many moves, but the WWE did successfully make his Big Right Hand a death move, there's no reason his Chokeslam can't be treated like a death move, and you don't really need him to do much else. Less has always been more with him. Plus, I think his tag runs with Jericho and The Miz showed that he's perfectly suitable to be the Andre to someone else's Haku. Big Show may not be as mobile as he once was, but he still looks like a guy that can eat the Young Bucks for breakfast, throw Darby Allin halfway to the moon, and toss the Lucha Bros around with ease. Making him someone's heater - like a Sammy Guevara or Ricky Starks (I know this wouldn't make storyline sense now but just offering examples) - and its easy to envision there's some gold to mine there. 

And, like someone else said, he's got value outside the ring too. He's a "name." I doubt they're breaking the bank hiring him either as I've always gotten the feeling that Big Show was paid handsomely and given lots of accommodations, but maybe didn't feel fully appreciated at times. At one point, didn't he leave to attempt to get a big boxing pay day? That strikes me as not something a content WWE employee independent contractor would do.

1 hour ago, PeteF3 said:

Or to bring back a hot Internet newz rumor of the day, "Titan."

"The titanic has sunk"

8 minutes ago, Loss said:

More than anything, it seems to go against their image of being different than WWE. 

Yeah, it's not like he had a hot stint elsewhere in-between like Jericho, so basically it's a guy who was in WWE from 1999 until last year. Odds on JR calling him The Big Show as early as tomorrow ?

49 minutes ago, Loss said:

Not sure I get his value to AEW. More than anything, it seems to go against their image of being different than WWE. We'll see how it goes, but it doesn't make much sense to me at first.

The impression i get is a non-joke version of the WWF Lawler role, i.e. commentator who does the occasional Special Attraction Match

That might be wishful thinking, though

THIS IS THE BIGGEST SIGNING IN THE HISTORY OF OUR SPORT, GUYS!

Seriously though, I am genuinely shocked.

I also think there's no way he was signed just to commentate a second YouTube show.

I wonder what would've happened if Netflix hadn't cancelled his WWE Studios show, The Big Show Show.

Did Netflix just literally change the course of wrestling history? (Okay, I'm being a bit dramatic in my wording there.)

Was Show's last match technically the main event of WrestleMania (he wrestled Drew right after the Brock match and it aired on Raw) or was there another one after?

8 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

I think from just a PR and charity work stand point he adds value to a company. 

I think this is the best perspective. It's the one thing we *know* is going to work out.

He won't provide much in terms of in-ring work, even if he had a late-stage revival with some enjoyable matches. He's 49, y'know? While he might be the best giant in wrestling, age and wear and tear must have taken their toll on him. I would be down for a match against Shaq just for the fuckery, but I don't see him doing much more, sadly.

Is he going to provide great insight on commentary? I don't recall him ever being put on the guest spot at WWE, too.

One of the best things about Tony is that he might be a DVDVR shitposter and a PWO lurker, he might be extremely anoying due to his online presence like a lot of superonline wrestling fans are...but he doesn't bullshit us. He is not a bullshit artist. Maybe he knows that all of us wrestling nerds wouldn't buy into his hypothetical bullshitting, but that makes it even better, cuz he just never insults our intelligence. He really is one of us