Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

Reading comprehension, anyone? Has anyone "shit talked" Excalibur as an announcer? Anyone at all?

Gordon Solie was a tangible and proven draw as a wrestling announcer--many complaints to TBS after Black Saturday were from fans wanting not Georgia or World Championship Wrestling back, but their "Gordon Solie wrestling." I'm not sure JR is all that far off from the level of '80s Solie, especially if he's used properly.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I loved Jim Ross during his WCW stint when he was working with Jesse Ventura. Probably my favorite duo commentary team ever. I was never super high on him in WWF though, especially when teamed with Jerry Lawler. Since then, he's just gotten worse. Honestly, it feels like he's lost a lot of the passion for it, which certainly makes sense at this point. 

I agree that Jim Ross can probably bring something to a promotion. He's been around wrestling for so long, seen & done so much & has to have a great brain to pick. But if you listen to his podcast or read a lot of his tweets (or even read the grouchy JR thread here) you can see that he might have some opinions/ideas that get some negative feedback. So, I don't know. As part of a creative team, certainly, but I don't want him as a commentator anymore or as someone with a lot of influence.

Since the constantly on-air authority figure roll doesn't seem like it is ever going away, why not put J.R. in that position.

It allows them to use his fame with casual fans, call an occasional match,  be around enough to justify a contract, and if they are really on TBS they can say that the Network Execs had previous dealings with him, which is how he got the position.

As for Excalibur, the guy is hands down the best commentator in the game right now, and... the visual of a dude wearing a suit and a lucha mask is cool as fuck. You want something different from WWE, there you go. Then with that image, Excalibur is a fine name for a dude in a suit and a lucha mask! 

I just hope they have Chuck Taylor on color commentary.

37 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

Since the constantly on-air authority figure roll doesn't seem like it is ever going away, why not put J.R. in that position.

Please, no. No authority figure, no JR, no old used up WWE tropes on AEW, please. Let us have something fresh, for a change. Hell, iMPACT doesn't have any authority figure and it's soooo much better.

9 hours ago, sek69 said:

Solie was known for being in "no condition to perform" on more than one occasion, compairing him to JR is more than apt.

Since when does J.R. have a drinking problem? I've never heard that.

4 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

As for Excalibur, the guy is hands down the best commentator in the game right now, and... the visual of a dude wearing a suit and a lucha mask is cool as fuck. You want something different from WWE, there you go. Then with that image, Excalibur is a fine name for a dude in a suit and a lucha mask!  

Use him as the authority figure then - or don't, because as someone else pointed out, that shit is old and tired.

That could end up being Brandi's role anyway, since they already gave her Steph's title and everything. 

1 hour ago, Grimmas said:

Yes.

Not about NJPW, but J.R. has addressed and denied it in the past.

“I got criticised on Twitter by some little gutless pissants that wanted to say, ‘JR looked either stoned or drunk.’ I can assure you that you don’t get stoned or drunk when you visit Saudi Arabia unless you’re really looking forward to meeting Omar at the prison. I ain’t interested in that.”

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2018/05/05/jim-ross-addresses-gutless-pissants-thought-stoned-greatest-royal-rumble/

Call me crazy, but I believe him. 

3 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Not about NJPW, but J.R. has addressed and denied it in the past.

“I got criticised on Twitter by some little gutless pissants that wanted to say, ‘JR looked either stoned or drunk.’ I can assure you that you don’t get stoned or drunk when you visit Saudi Arabia unless you’re really looking forward to meeting Omar at the prison. I ain’t interested in that.”

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2018/05/05/jim-ross-addresses-gutless-pissants-thought-stoned-greatest-royal-rumble/

Call me crazy, but I believe him. 

Yeah, I was talking about NJPW not the GRR.

I didn't watch GRR, but him simply putting out a statement doesn't make it true. I think working for WWE on air would be the better defense in that situation.

39 minutes ago, C.S. said:

“I got criticised on Twitter by some little gutless pissants that wanted to say, ‘JR looked either stoned or drunk.’ I can assure you that you don’t get stoned or drunk when you visit Saudi Arabia unless you’re really looking forward to meeting Omar at the prison.

And get eventually murdered, dismembered and oh wait... wrong thread. Anyway, I dunno why, but this bit about "looking forward to meeting Omar at the prison" doesn't make him look good at all...

47 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

Yeah, I was talking about NJPW not the GRR.

I didn't watch GRR, but him simply putting out a statement doesn't make it true. I think working for WWE on air would be the better defense in that situation.

And working for NJPW isn't? Not like that's a 24-7 frat party.

I just don't believe that J.R. would ever be unprofessional enough to get drunk on-air. 

This really feels like ridiculous "sleaze thread" overreacting to me.

10 minutes ago, El-P said:

And get eventually murdered, dismembered and oh wait... wrong thread. Anyway, I dunno why, but this bit about "looking forward to meeting Omar at the prison" doesn't make him look good at all...

Agreed. That's some Rush Limbaugh-esque bullshit right there.

Basically since his wife died JR's been more or less self medicating, it's understandable due to the circumstances and it's hard to point it out without sounding like an asshole. There's  been times on his Twitter feed where it seems like he's a different person (he doesn't seem like the type of guy who would have a social media intern posting on his accounts either)  well as his falls recently where he's injured himself. It's one of those deals where everyone kind of references it indirectly and is all "y'know it's been rough for JR lately" type stuff.

23 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Basically since his wife died JR's been more or less self medicating, it's understandable due to the circumstances and it's hard to point it out without sounding like an asshole. There's  been times on his Twitter feed where it seems like he's a different person (he doesn't seem like the type of guy who would have a social media intern posting on his accounts either)  well as his falls recently where he's injured himself. It's one of those deals where everyone kind of references it indirectly and is all "y'know it's been rough for JR lately" type stuff.

This is heartbreaking. :(

7 minutes ago, WrestlingFan said:

Drunk people are funny. I can rely to JR, I used to have issues because I was sometimes drunk in college.

This is...something.

So something more AEW related I noticed.....

When word started to spread that there was a member of the wrestling media working for AEW, nearly everyone jumped on guys with obvious connections and/or possible conflicts of interest with great fury.

Then it came out the person in question was Chris Harrington, who's the Bobby Eaton of wrestling  media in terms of everyone liking him and no one having any negative opinions about him. Everyone was happy for him, and as far as I've seen no one has questioned it.

Now, that's not to say anything untoward happened, I just finished listening to the last (for now) episode of Wrestlenomics where he stated once he was offered the gig he made sure to steer clear of discussing anything that would give the impression that there was any conflict of interest. Mookie's as clean as it comes and deserves all the love/success he gets.

However it's clear a LOT of people were chomping at the bit hoping they had some justification for the hate boners they held for other people in the field.

Cody Rhodes has been saying a lot of things that I'm a fan of hearing lately. Until it comes to fruition, of course, it's just words... but I like what I'm hearing. Tony Khan talking about health coverage is great, but again, it's just talk at this point. Make it a reality, and it'll change the industry. Cody is talking about wins/losses mattering & potentially having some sort of ranking system again along with wanting to present a more sports-like feel to the program. That's pretty much exactly what I want.

I think AEW will live or die (with me) on what they do with the women. If they integrate them in like Beyond or Chikara they are very smart, if they treat them as a huge part of the show like NXT does (sometimes) they are good enough. However if they are just one match on the show and and it feels like a token match or a filler, then I have no use for AEW.

16 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

I think AEW will live or die (with me) on what they do with the women. If they integrate them in like Beyond or Chikara they are very smart, if they treat them as a huge part of the show like NXT does (sometimes) they are good enough. However if they are just one match on the show and and it feels like a token match or a filler, then I have no use for AEW.

With the equal pay promise, it sounds like the women will have a major role. Who knows though. 

• Loss pinned and locked this topic
  • Loss unlocked and unpinned this topic