goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Loss said:

I don't think Jericho will be allowed back on the WWE Network anytime soon.

If that's what did it (and it might have - unopposed nights in the past haven't ascended nearly that high), thisĀ could be a real inflection point in the story of the company.

The Bucks being established as full-blown heels in the first 5 minutes of the show probably helped. No more conflicting emotions, staring at hands, reluctant tweener bullshit. This was a refreshing development and it is nice to finally have a promotion that actively listens to fans

It had Mike freakin' Tyson.....

Damn impressive #.Ā  #2 on cable IIRC and beat the NBA games.Ā  When Dave & Bryan were speculating earlier in the week neither of them were convinced it would even hit a million due to the audience declining recently and the product cooling off a bit

Too early after one week, but it will be interesting to see the politics if they start consistently beating the NBA on Wednesday nights, given Turner's longstanding relationship with the league and the league booking the schedule to make Thursday the marquee night for the league.Ā  They cross promote....but it is kind of weird to be competing against ESPN/NBA on one night and it being your marquee programming the next

Well a lot of sports are on different networks, it's always a little weird to see the NFL on say Fox promoting games that will be on CBS/NBC/ESPN but that's the nature of how sports works these days.Ā 

If anything, AEW beating the NBA on ESPN is going to make the NBA look sideways at ESPN since they are supposed to be the end allĀ  and be all for sports programming.Ā 

I realize nobody can answer this but...Why did most of all the top level or starĀ womenā€™s talent have only a ā€œcup of coffeeā€ with early AEW events? Ā In the first year or so Tenille Dasheood, Chelsea Green, Kiley Rae, Ā Priscilla Kelly, Bea Priestley, Mercedes Martinez, Allyson KayĀ andĀ Tessa Blanchard all worked a show or two but never stay any longer. Ā They have Awesome Kong but she is injured(?) or coaching(?). Ā Which takes another name out of the talent pool.

The difference between last July and now is enormous in the womenā€™s division since I went in on a gamble and eventuallyĀ resumedĀ following AEW religiously again.Ā  Last year was just Nyla, absentee Riho, Big Swole, injured Britt and all those students.Ā Fast forward to today and some of those ladies have blossomed into Anna Jay, Red Velvet, Tay Conti along with Lady Stud Jade Cargill - who is greener than green but has the ā€œitā€ factor few rookies ever have. Ā They even have a mid card with KiLynn King, Madi Wrenkowski, TeshaĀ Price, Dani Jordyn, Alex Gracia, Leyla Hirsch and most regulars not named Penelope Ford, Shanna, Nyla, Swole, Britt, DiamantĆ©, Rosa and a few that straddle the tiers between the women.

It isnā€™t anywhere as loaded as any WWE roster of their ladies. The depth in WWE is superfluous at best though. Ā Stockpiling talent is bad for the talent! Ā They lose years off their best potential years just so they donā€™t get exposure anywhere else. Ā This handicapsĀ the potential and eventual talent ceiling of the men or women they either underuse or donā€™t use at all.

16 hours ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

I realize nobody can answer this but...Why did most of all the top level or starĀ womenā€™s talent have only a ā€œcup of coffeeā€ with early AEW events? Ā In the first year or so Tenille Dasheood, Chelsea Green, Kiley Rae, Ā Priscilla Kelly, Bea Priestley, Mercedes Martinez, Allyson KayĀ andĀ Tessa Blanchard all worked a show or two but never stay any longer. Ā They have Awesome Kong but she is injured(?) or coaching(?). Ā Which takes another name out of the talent pool.

Chelsea Green - was on All In, signed with WWE before AEW properly got going

Tessa Blanchard - was on All In, was locked up with Impact and then has completely dropped off

Kylie Rae - the official story is she freaked out at the pressure and quit; given the similar thing that happened with Impact, I'm inclined to believe that

Mercedes Martinez - signed with WWE

Bea Priestley - seemed like a safety/attitude issue?

Priscilla Kelly - no clue. Maybe her relationship with Darby ending had something to do with it?

Allysin Kay - no clue, I think she'd be an asset

I honestly don't remember Tenille doing anything with them, but frankly she's been pretty terrible every time I've seen her post WWE, so I don't think she's a loss.

2 minutes ago, GSR said:

Thought it was because she was living in Japan and couldn't get into the country.

That may have been part of it too. Even before, they were using her kinda sporadically, but yeah, makes sense thatĀ the Japan thing probably cut it off for good.

2 minutes ago, Migs said:

That may have been part of it too. Even before, they were using her kinda sporadically, but yeah, makes sense thatĀ the Japan thing probably cut it off for good.

Didn't she get into some sort of shooty thing with someone on one of those early shows? I remember there being an incident and her usage went way down.

9 minutes ago, joeg said:

@sek69Ā What makes Tessa unemployable? She's supposedly straight out of Mean Girls but she's so fucking good does that really matter?

Her recent antics with the Impact World Title would hurt her future employment. Promotions will forgive being an asshole but I don't think they'll take a chance on people that might steal your belt.

2 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Didn't she get into some sort of shooty thing with someone on one of those early shows? I remember there being an incident and her usage went way down.

She concussed Britt Baker with a kick and then yeah, there was some weird thing after a match that I'm forgetting the details of. That's what I meant when I initially said it may have been an attitude issue.

Tessa was scheduled to drop the title at Slammiversary on July 18. The problem was that her contract expired on June 30. They tried to get her to drop the title several times beforehand, but they couldn't reach an agreement. She also refused to send it taped promos, which forced them to re-edit several episodes of Impact. I get where she was coming from, but the reality of the situation is that when you have the kind of baggage she does, you have to play ball.

57 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

She didn't want to travel because of COVID, which is fair, but then she wanted 150k for returning the belt.

Both false stories. She crossed the border several times during COVID. I always remember a few months ago WrestlingInc reporting that garbage while Tessa was conducting a signing in New York.

1 hour ago, joeg said:

@sek69Ā What makes Tessa unemployable? She's supposedly straight out of Mean Girls but she's so fucking good does that really matter?

As she throws tantrums and fights backstage and occasionally in the ring. Hates losing on TV or losing to women at all.Ā 

NXT and AEW's locker rooms don't want to work with her. A lot of talent will actually walk. She pissed off everyone in NXT with any decision making power individually in individual situations. And I know know Tony Khan put his foot down.

Women's Wrestling has passed her by. I don't see why AEW or NXT NEED her as Rhea, Raquel and Cargill now exist. She good but not that good and her run as Champion on IMPACT didn't draw.

AEW just let go of a similar narcissistic headcase inĀ Ivelisse. Why add another?