All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really good short matches from a really loooooong episode of Elevation.  My first thought after all them there matches tonight is just how good at play-by-play Schiavone is...again.  WCW really crushed his enthusiasm and professionalism after all those years of chaos.  He took eighteen years off in between gigs.  It wasn’t even AEW that brought him back from the doldrums of his past.  I’m not sure which came first, the podcast or his stint in MLW but he is almost time travelling back to before Herd, Ole, Frye, Bischoff and Russo killed his love of wrestling for some time.  He is enthusiastic and sincere sounding in most of his delivery.  He still drifts in and out of Robo-Caller announcing on occasion during Elevation.  

As an announcer for so long he has earned an arsenal of silly small talk and short cuts wrapped in wrestling jargon.  He, unlike JR, still has a dedication to getting the wrestling over regardless of his personal feelings or not.  Also unlike JR, Tony S has even LEARNED a thing or two from his new colleague - the unsung outside the WON Excalibur!  JR sometimes adds a lot to big matches in AEW.  

At this point all JR has left is his character credibility and his own spins on wrestling jargon.  Most nights JR could be replaced by the sound board of JR clips from older wrestling games that he has appeared in.  He is as detached as Schiavone seems connected to AEW.  

Tony S even developed his own  bits of “business” in AEW.  The friendship he has with Dr. Britt is pretty cute to see unfold onscreen over the time AEW has been running.  JR has no “business” with anyone in all of AEW.  THAT is a pun INTENDED...for once.

In all honesty a guy like Jim Ross doesn’t need to prove his announcing credentials with any fans.  I wish he would just accept the role of backstage sit down interviewing-guy.  He doesn’t need to prove anything to us...but it would be GREAT if he could either a) actually LEARN about your wrestlers and some modern wrestling history or b) at least TRY to hide your disdain for wrestling in 2021.  Just a little effort in those areas and he would be a lot more enjoyable to hear quip up every now and then.  

I made this post to compliment Schiavone, not downgrade his more acclaimed (yo yo yo) colleague.  The difference between the two announcers from the 1990s to today is astonishing.  Who thought we needed a comeback from Tony “Best Night in Our Sport” Schiavone in the 21st century?  The first two and a half years of AEW has shown that WE badly needed it...Skeevone probably appreciates it as well.

How much does Lois need to watch out for that possible home wrecker, Britt Baker?  Tony S gets about as flirty as a father of six(?) who is happily married for more than forty years - can get.  Hopefully it stays where it is...in Adam Cole’s nightmares.

5 hours ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

Really good short matches from a really loooooong episode of Elevation.  My first thought after all them there matches tonight is just how good at play-by-play Schiavone is...again.  WCW really crushed his enthusiasm and professionalism after all those years of chaos.  He took eighteen years off in between gigs.  It wasn’t even AEW that brought him back from the doldrums of his past.  I’m not sure which came first, the podcast or his stint in MLW but he is almost time travelling back to before Herd, Ole, Frye, Bischoff and Russo killed his love of wrestling for some time.  He is enthusiastic and sincere sounding in most of his delivery.  He still drifts in and out of Robo-Caller announcing on occasion during Elevation.  

As an announcer for so long he has earned an arsenal of silly small talk and short cuts wrapped in wrestling jargon.  He, unlike JR, still has a dedication to getting the wrestling over regardless of his personal feelings or not.  Also unlike JR, Tony S has even LEARNED a thing or two from his new colleague - the unsung outside the WON Excalibur!  JR sometimes adds a lot to big matches in AEW.  

At this point all JR has left is his character credibility and his own spins on wrestling jargon.  Most nights JR could be replaced by the sound board of JR clips from older wrestling games that he has appeared in.  He is as detached as Schiavone seems connected to AEW.  

Tony S even developed his own  bits of “business” in AEW.  The friendship he has with Dr. Britt is pretty cute to see unfold onscreen over the time AEW has been running.  JR has no “business” with anyone in all of AEW.  THAT is a pun INTENDED...for once.

In all honesty a guy like Jim Ross doesn’t need to prove his announcing credentials with any fans.  I wish he would just accept the role of backstage sit down interviewing-guy.  He doesn’t need to prove anything to us...but it would be GREAT if he could either a) actually LEARN about your wrestlers and some modern wrestling history or b) at least TRY to hide your disdain for wrestling in 2021.  Just a little effort in those areas and he would be a lot more enjoyable to hear quip up every now and then.  

I made this post to compliment Schiavone, not downgrade his more acclaimed (yo yo yo) colleague.  The difference between the two announcers from the 1990s to today is astonishing.  Who thought we needed a comeback from Tony “Best Night in Our Sport” Schiavone in the 21st century?  The first two and a half years of AEW has shown that WE badly needed it...Skeevone probably appreciates it as well.

How much does Lois need to watch out for that possible home wrecker, Britt Baker?  Tony S gets about as flirty as a father of six(?) who is happily married for more than forty years - can get.  Hopefully it stays where it is...in Adam Cole’s nightmares.

I second all of this. If I have to credit Conrad Thompson for one thing (I did really enjoy his podcasts too for a long while, let's be honest), that's bringing back Tony Schiavone the the fold. He sounds like he's having the time of his life and is actually loving the new shit. That was actually the one thing MLW had, Schiavone calling matches for the first time in 17 years and legit marking out at indy guys doing crazy indy shit. The first watch-along stuff with ECW was kinda revelatory as far as Tony's enthousiasm for stuff he is not familiar with. Such an open mind from an old-school guy is so refreshing.

Double or Nothing is being shown in select Cinemark theatres for $20, which sounds intriguing but there's no showings anywhere around me listed yet. Dr. Britt would not be pleased if her hometown gets shut out of this, lol. 

46 minutes ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

I know the circumstances are different this time around because AEW is it's own company, but will the recent news of AT&T selling off WarnerMedia affect their place on the TNT lineup at all?

I suppose you can say that.

Pro wrestling is back on the muthaship, daddy. They'll also have quarterly specials on TNT. This is a great move for AEW since TBS is in more homes and they'll no longer have to worry about being preempted by NBA games. Also, having TNT specials to build toward in between the PPVs will hopefully lead to more focused booking.

8 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I suppose you can say that.

Pro wrestling is back on the muthaship, daddy. They'll also have quarterly specials on TNT. This is a great move for AEW since TBS is in more homes and they'll no longer have to worry about being preempted by NBA games. Also, having TNT specials to build toward in between the PPVs will hopefully lead to more focused booking.

What system carries TBS but not TNT?

What's the average viewership and demo figures for TBS as compared to TNT? Everyone is rightly talking about the pay bump and da mothership, but if TNT is the more hip network (if you weeel), then I am not sure this is a good move for them

The demo figures are a little higher on TNT, but a lot of that is due to NBA games. TBS has a tiny bit more homes, but it's basically a lateral move viewership wise and now they don't have to worry about tons of pre-emptions due to sports so it's a net gain for AEW. 

I’m with Mos on this one. At best it is a lateral move for AEW. For all the talk from certain outlets (Voices of Wrestling) on how the only number that matters is THE DEMO, the fact that AEW is moving to TBS is interesting. The other caveat is that we don’t know if Dynamite is staying on Wednesdays. 

No doubt the move to TBS is in no small part because Turner threw a shit ton of money at the NHL. Even though their DEMO numbers aren’t as strong as AEW’s, $$$ talks.The Friday night slot for Rampage sounds like death. We could be looking at a Nitro/Thunder situation, along with the over saturation of programming if you include the YouTube shows. If the plan is to sell all that programming in 2022 to get an NHL or WWE style payout from a broadcaster, we’ll see. 

11 hours ago, Enforcer said:

Hopefully this does not affect TSN’s airing of Dynamite and I hope that they pick up the new show and the specials. 

As a fellow Canuck, this also was the first thing that popped in my mind when I heard of the news today.

7 hours ago, SirEdger said:

As a fellow Canuck, this also was the first thing that popped in my mind when I heard of the news today.

With RDS not renewing their contract with IWS/ROH, maybe they should look into showing the new Rampage show. I would be down to hear Marc Blondin again.

5 hours ago, Enforcer said:

With RDS not renewing their contract with IWS/ROH, maybe they should look into showing the new Rampage show. I would be down to hear Marc Blondin again.

Yeah, that one sucked. It was fun to see some ROH PPV matches on TV monthly.

FWIW, John Pollock on POST Wrestling wrote that he already inquired about Rampage being carried in Canada, as well as the monthly specials.

7 minutes ago, Enforcer said:

Unrestricted with Tay Conti so worth the listen. She is hilarious. They should have her talk like this every week on Dynamite and she will become one of their biggest star. 

I don't think there's a woman more loveable on their roster than Tay Conti. Her IG is filled with joyful moments and smiles. How can you not root for her?