goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Is there enough freely available talent to build a division around? I suppose they could establish a working relationship with Stardom or the like.

Yes, way more than enough. There is so much talent out there they could do a whole women's promotion.

2 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

OK. So if you were the head of talent relations for AEW, who would you try to sign?

If TNA/ROH/WWE is off limits.

Lots of joshi, too many to name, but there is 15-30 people they could snatch up just from there that would be great.

Mercedes Martinez, Kimber Lee, Kay Lee Ray (maybe she went to NXT, I forget),  Jordyanne Grace,  Tessa Blanchard, Santana Garrett,  Karen Q,  Shotzi Blackheart, Deliah Doom, Penelope Ford, Solo Darling, Team Sea Stars, Willow Nightingale, Twisted Sisters, Kris Statlander, Kylie Rae, Viper (if not in NXT, I forgot if they got Alpha Female or Viper, but whichever if you can), Shazza McKenzie, Faye Jackson, Jessika Havok, Allysin Kay/Sienna, Cheerleader Melissa, Kris Wolf, Kikyo, Madison Rayne, Kaitlyn, Vanessa Kraven

I'm sure there is a ton more if I really put some work into thinking about it. There is a lot of great talent out there.

There is not a women's talent pool that is equal in name value to the Jericho, Bucks, and Cody's. They can build one up, and Martinez could be a BACKBONE but in the current landscape, it is hard to put together a women's division that doesn't come off as second rate in comparison to WWE's.

For context, there isn't this supreme wealth of overall talent out there ready to be snatched up. Like...there aren't a whole lot of big "young" talent gets. 

Kay Lee Ray, Viper and Karen Q are all supposedly WWE bound.  Given KLR appeared on the UK Takeover I would imagine that's a done deal, while Viper dropped her two titles to Utama Hayashishita on the Stardom 8th Anniversary show just a couple of days ago also adding to the likelihood.  Additionally Viper and KLR are real friendly and do tend to follow each other about a fair bit.

The fact that WWE can easily fill up the Mae every year, including alternates, tells me that AEW won't have a problem finding good women.

Famous women? Maybe not. But if they're not in the business of building stars, they won't go far anyway. I think they'll be just fine in that regard though.

Kia Stevens (Kong/Kharma) would be the first person I'd go after. She has legit fame and cred from GLOW, not to mention wrestling cred - especially with AEW's audience.

6 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

Pretty sure Grace and Blanchard are signed to TNA, Karen Q, Twister Sisters, and Madison Rayne all work with RoH, and Cheerleader Melissa may still be locked up with Lucha Underground.

Otherwise, that's a good list.

But if the rumors are true and that AEW is open to work with Impact Wrestling, this wouldn't keep them from using the women on their roster. And how can you not build around Tessa Blanchard anyway?

6 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

But if the rumors are true and that AEW is open to work with Impact Wrestling, this wouldn't keep them from using the women on their roster. And how can you not build around Tessa Blanchard anyway?

If they could get Grace, Blanchard, and DemonXBunny they are off to an amazing start.

6 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

and Cheerleader Melissa may still be locked up with Lucha Underground.

Ivelisse just posted about how she has wanted out for the last year and LU won't give her her release. How isn't she allowed to work elsewhere when Penta, Fenix & Mack do ? Anyway, the LU people seem to be locked, and although I have really loved the promotion, these practices kinda suck when they aren't even sure to film a S5.

6 minutes ago, El-P said:

Ivelisse just posted about how she has wanted out for the last year and LU won't give her her release. How isn't she allowed to work elsewhere when Penta, Fenix & Mack do ? Anyway, the LU people seem to be locked, and although I have really loved the promotion, these practices kinda suck when they aren't even sure to film a S5.

They probably have better agents and contracts and/or are more valued by LU's Hollywood execs because they're men. Ivelisse probably signed her indentured servitude deal long before #GiveDivasAChance, #metoo, and the modern "women's movement."

3 hours ago, El-P said:

Penta and Fenix were mainly working for AAA (LU sister promotion) and Impact (who they have a working agreement with). Not sure how MLW works into all that other than they were publically stating they were open to work with anyone. Most likely all their dates were signed off by Dorian since he's the one who decides who stays and goes.

Also they probably want to do whatever they can to keep Penta/Fenix happy since they know they'll get snapped up by someone else the second they get a full release.

Understand all that. Still, it sucks for Ivelisse, who really deserves a break. Would love to see her and Melissa in AEW or iMPACT (well, back on iMPACT for Melissa, the only pro-wrestler ever playing a "babyface" in the US while wearing a hijab, when Amazing Kong turned for a while)

On 1/14/2019 at 8:23 PM, TheDuke said:

I watched the most recent episode Being the Elite that rovert posted above and enjoyed it. It was a fun bit of silliness, not exactly what I was expecting. It reminds me a bit of the little skits wwf used to do on Primetime or Coliseum Home Video. The ones with Heenan and Monsoon or whoever. Not as good as what The Brain used to do, but I think it is a lot better than what they do on Raw with the neverending promos about nothing. I do think the audio quality needs to be improved but maybe AEW will use more expensive microphones. I went back and watched the first episode but its quite different. It seems more like a video blog where they talk about where they have been flying to recently and it is just the 2 Bucks. It really didn't seem too interesting or relevant so I don't think I'll be watching it from the beginning. I went back instead and watched last weeks episode and that was fun. I don't think it's something I would want to sit and binge watch though, but watching a half hour once a week would be okay. I do agree that moving forward for other promotions to stand out they need to break away from the stale Raw formula, and doing an internet show that looks like it's shot with cell phone cameras does give it a sense of immediacy that Raw lacks. I think I prefer the format of Lucha Undergound as far as that goes. I do think having some short matches or maybe some clips of match highlights would help break it up.

The place to pick it up if you prefer the story aspects is the one called "The Bullet Club Gets a Villain." 

In today's "sounds like bullshit" news, WWE is reportedly "FEARFUL" that The Revival is planning to finish up with the company to jump to AEW.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/exclusives/exclusive-wwe-fears-revival-are-finishing-company

Scott Dawson and Dash Wilder have been used like dogshit since being called up, so I really doubt WWE would miss them if they left.

It's a shame, because they are an amazing team that WWE should value.  

18 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

To me, that could be the first "defection" from WWE to AEW that WWE could really regret down the road. If that happens, of course.

WWE doesn't value tag team wrestling, so I doubt they'd ever "regret" it - even if The Revival becomes the top tag team in the world. 

They've been working an angle with the Bucks on Twitter for while, and a few weeks ago one of the Bucks and one of the Revival (I forget which one from each team) tweeted to mark their words that they would face each other at some point. 

I hope they do go, WWE clearly doesn't fit with the old school territory style tag team work they excel at. I have a feeling they might end up being one of those "how did they let THOSE guys go to the competition' types.

It's an interesting development. 

Its definitely a bit of a risky move for The Revival. Sure, they're being wasted - but to be the first defection is a bit of a political statement, especially when I'm guessing that Triple H will be involved in trying to negotiate with them. I think he values them, saw what they meant to NXT, and knows that, even now, with their stock so low, they're still what? At the very least the 4th best team on the roster behind Usos, New Day, and Sheamus/Cesaro? 

The shocker, to me, is that the easy answer is in front of them and they chose to ignore it when, had they done it months ago, the Revival would probably be plenty content. Move them to SmackDown yesterday and put them in the ring with The New Day, who are desperate need of some new opponents but are still the most over babyface team on either brand. I'm a Revival fan, but they're not flashy/over/established enough to be guys who make money. In the words of (I think) Cornette referencing HHH, The Revival are "the guys who work with the guys who make money."

Tessa is in WOW and her gimmick is that she is a 3rd generation badass. She honestly needs to past that. Orton and Rock both moved pass the 3rd generation label and I would like to see Tessa move past that. The women's division can easily be the best outside of WWE without question. With EVE, WSU, Stardom, and others floating around, it's a no brainer.

I have some thoughts on AEW, but I guess the biggest thing is for them to avoid being WWE/Impact lite. Everyone who wants to jump should not automatically be accepted. I would hate for AEW to turn into an episode of WWE Superstars. There has to be a line. Excepting Zack Ryder and The Revival are fine, but I would hate if AEW took a page out of the WCW and Impact playbook and just accepted everyone who had a cup of coffee in WWE.

The problem with Impact especially was not so much accepting everyone from WWE, but by pushing nearly every former WWE guy as better than their own talent. They constantly made their homegrown/non WWE guys look like geeks. 

Zack Ryder doing Zack Ryder level things in AEW would be fine. If he comes in challenging for their title on day one that would be peak Impact. 

• Loss pinned and locked this topic
  • Loss unlocked and unpinned this topic