goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

MSG has much higher ticket prices, but high ticket prices have traditionally helped wrestling ticket sales, not hurt it. Plus MSG is at Penn Station in Manhattan, the heart of NYC, while Arthur Ashe is in Flushing in Queens, which is definitely not nearly as famous or accessible. It takes a lot more effort to reach and plan for Arthur Ashe than it does for MSG

There are multiple things we can say to excuse WWE's weak MSG sales, but if Vince is anything like the Vince of old, none of that would matter and he would be absolutely furious. 

The #ForTheBrand WWE stans are going to have their work cut out for them to come up with excuses that aren't "AEW is a hot product and WWE is an ice cold product run by an old man who actively fights his fanbase". 

I suppose that "but scaplers!" will still be their standby, despite the fact that WWE shows generally have a higher percentage of tickets on secondary markets. 

3 hours ago, sek69 said:

The #ForTheBrand WWE stans are going to have their work cut out for them to come up with excuses that aren't "AEW is a hot product and WWE is an ice cold product run by an old man who actively fights his fanbase". 

I suppose that "but scaplers!" will still be their standby, despite the fact that WWE shows generally have a higher percentage of tickets on secondary markets. 

On Twitter the go-to right now seems to be "but they had to do the CoVid protocols to get into the WWE show!"

I've also seen people claim that Tony himself is buying tickets to make sure it sells out, which.....okay Jan.  

What's funny is that it's not like WWE is doing poorly selling tickets. Tonight's Smackdown, the PPV, and I believe Raw on Monday are all either sold out or so close to it it might as well be a sellout. Both companies have shows that are doing great and ones that aren't. 

It does occur to me that part of the reaction to AEW selling better in NYC than WWE is that it's been 20+ years since WWE ever came in second in any meaningful metric that there's a generation or more of fans who don't seem to think it's possible for it to happen without some kind of shenanigans behind it. 

The fact that it's NYC is what makes the apologists mad. NYC is WWF territory. It has belonged to the McMahons since before there was a WWF. Couple that with WWF's history in MSG and it makes for an embarrassing situation. It is strictly symbolic, but symbols do matter. Plus, Vince Sr. used to say "The way the Garden goes, so goes the business" and it was a dictum that Vince honoured till the attitude era at least. 

Fightful is reporting that CM Punk is in talks to return to the ring and WWE higher-ups think AEW is his most likely destination. That's obviously huge if true, but you have to consider the source. It's likely WWE sources who are leaking this since AEW runs a tight ship when it comes to keeping surprises under wraps. It's entirely possible they have no idea how close Punk and AEW are to an agreement and they're putting it out there because they couldn't come to terms with him on a deal. If it happens, they'll have lessened the impact by spoiling the surprise. If it doesn't, it'll feel like a letdown.

Well the only companies that would be able to afford his asking price are WWE and AEW,  so it would be easy for WWE to leak this out of spite. Funny thing is that if they are doing that, AEW can just turn around and hype his debut to make it that much bigger. 

Another thing to consider is that not only does Colt Cabana work for AEW, but they clearly wanted Punk back when they were launching the company and he big leagued them to the point of calling Cody unprofessional for trying to talk to him via text. I'm sure  the EVPs can suck it up because it's good for business, but I can't imagine Colt would be thrilled to work with the guy who tried to ruin him. 

37 minutes ago, strobogo said:

I have a feeling CM Punk in 2021-2022 would have a similar vibe to Ultimate Warrior in 1996-1998.

I mean, Warrior was pretty over when he came back to the WWF. It was only when Hogan wanted his win back in WCW that things got wonky. 

If anything, Punk has similar vibes to someone who worked in OVW when it was WWF developmental who had all their passion for pro wrestling beaten out of them. 

Just the name value & promos alone would be worth it. Punk is still also five years younger than guys like Matt Hardy or Christian, with a lot less mileage on him I would imagine, and those guys just wrestled against each other on Dynamite last week. 

I mean, if fat, drunk Chris Jericho is an AEW main eventer, CM Punk is going to look like goddamn Lou Thesz. 

But I wouldn't put it passed AEW to pay Punk $7 million dollars just to come in & have Cody-uh, ya know, cut a promo on him, brother. 

Now if AEW can some how get both Punk & Bryan... yeah. I was disappointed Joe went back to WWE, I was hoping they would get him too. 

I feel their biggest issue right now, since they're back to having fans again, is that they have to move on eventually from the stuff they've been doing at the top of the card. It can't be The Elite forever. It can't be Inner Circle Vs. Pinnacle forever. It can't be Chris Jericho; Main Eventer, forever. Ya know? They bring in all of this talent, like Miro, Andrade, etc. & they're basically in limbo because there's no way to move up because AEW already feels bloated. Not to mention when their own stars start getting over, like Darby, Jungle Boy, Britt, etc. There's just not enough room for everyone.

1 hour ago, strobogo said:

I have a feeling CM Punk in 2021-2022 would have a similar vibe to Ultimate Warrior in 1996-1998.

Pretty sure Punk can still cut a dope promo and if motivated, making his program something memorable. How good can his matches be is definitely a big question but when everything else can click, a "just ok" match hurts less.

This is a great example of the difference and expectations of the two big companies right now. AEW can bring someone in and even if they might have lost at step, I generally feel they will find some way to make it work. Even if it doesn't work at first (hi Miro), they usually find a way to right the ship and get it right.