Pro Wrestling Only

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

kevinmcfl

Good grief what a show! A night filled with non stop action, twists and turns! 

Sweet Brown Sugar and Koko Ware get things going with a high energy win. 

Gilbert gets ahead in the Young Lions tournament but Mutoh ends up spraying Precious. Friction in Hot Stuff Inc. 

The feud between Commonwealth and The Harts continues as they battle to a double DQ.

Damn, the Russians looked absolutely dominating tonight! 

WOW! Hennig turns on Martel and Rude gets a huge win! Heenan scores a major coupe with Hennig.

Savage and Bret have an all time classic until Heenan gets involved and pushes Savage off the ropes! Big Shocker here! Where does Bret fit in all this? 

Road Warriors win the titles!!! Man, who's going to take the straps off these guys???

The Loser Leaves town cage match went beyond expectations as Bad News and Stomper have a bloody war. Bad News ends up winning but Stomper can leave with his head high. 

Now the big one. The AWA title main event delivers as Lawler and Hogan put on a great match. Then chaos ensues as Sweetan and Ox come out but are stopped by Savage! Hogan wins the title!!! 

Great job! Lot's of new intriguing storylines have started with the Heenan Family, Sweetan and Ox, Road Warriors as champs and the Mega Powers might be aligning. 

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kevinmcfl

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING:  March 30, 1984:  WGN TV:  Milwaukee Auditorium

The show starts with a VTR of the last few minutes of Hulk Hogan’s match against Jerry Lawler where he won the AWA World Heavyweight Title for a second time.

From coast to coast, continent to continent and border to border, we welcome you to AWA All-Star Wrestling coming to you from the Milwaukee Auditorium.  I am Rod Trongard and it has been just seven days since our ESPN Spectacular and we have so much to talk about.  That night really changed AWA All-Star Wrestling forever and we have so much to talk about.  As you saw in our opening, Hulk Hogan is the new AWA Champion!  We will be seeing a taped interview from Hulk a little while later as he is off defending the World Title.  Let’s get our show under way.

STORYLINE #1:  FALL OUT FROM THE ESPN SHOW

Trongard reminds us that the ESPN show was full of twist and turns and that tonight, we will get to the bottom of the questions that remain from the other night!  Since Bobby Heenan is at the center of many of those twist and turns, he is brought out first to the interview desk.

Gene Okerlund:  First, I must say that your actions the other night leave something to be desired.  Somehow, you got Curt Hennig to help you and your man, Rick Rude get a win against Rick Martel by hitting him with a chair and then you come out and push Randy Savage off the top rope costing him the AWA North American Title!

Bobby Heenan:  I must say it feels good to fool all of you Humanoids!  I have been listening to all you dummies asking me if Randy Savage was the newest member of the Heenan family.  I mean are you that stupid.  Would I ever have a psycho like Savage in my stable.  He is a maniac who nobody can trust.  I told you that I was going to sign somebody that would shock the Verne Gagne and Stu Hart and I did just that. 

To the interview desk comes none other than Bret Hart where he and Heenan embrace.

Gene Okerlund:  Oh I am going to be sick.  Why Bret… Why?

Bret Hart:  That’s the same question my father asked me and the answer is simple. To be the best… I must be with the best.  I have listened to these fans… to my brothers… and to my father for years and it got me nowhere.  I listened to the Brain here for one night and I defeated one of the craziest men in the entire sport.  With Bobby by my side, this AWA North American title will be mine for as long as want. 

And now comes Rick Rude and Curt Hennig

Bobby Heenan:  And here comes the rest of the greatest stable in the history of professional wrestling… and together we will rule the Sport of Kings!

Gene Okerlund:  I got to ask Curt… You and Rick Martle where so close to the AWA World Tag Title… How could you turn on your partner.

Curt Hennig:  Turn on him?  I think you need to go back and check your facts.  Rick Martel is all about Rick Martel and I got sick and tired of it.  I carried him for the entire time we were partners and I got tired of it.  I had to do so much of the work that I actually got hurt because Martel is a useless partner who only cares about himself.

Gene Okerlund:  Oh come on Curt… he took on the Sheiks all by himself because you claimed you were hurt.

Curt Hennig:  And what did he do?… He Lost.  That’s all he ever did when I was not there.  Now… he better watch his back as Rick Rude and myself are coming after him!

MATCH:

CURT HENNIG WITH BOBBY HEENAN DEFEATS VERLON BIGGS WITH THE CRADLE SUPLEX

STORYLINE #2:  So Who is Next for Hulk Hogan…

MATCH:

BAD NEWS ALLEN SIMPLY DESTROYS BUCK ZUMHOFE 

At the interview desk:

Bad News Allen:  There is only one man in All-Star Wrestling who has not lost this year and that is me!  I took care of that No-Good Mongolian Stomper and he is lucky I didn’t hurt him as badly as I did his son.  Now it is time for Verne Gagne and Stu Hart to give me what is rightfully mine… A world title shot with Hulk Hogan.   

MATCH: 

BOB SWEETAN DEFEATS RICKY VAUGHN WITH THE PILEDRIVER 

Sweetan is joined by Ox Baker at the interview desk and they both say that they were sent her by the Colonel to take care of Hulk Hogan and that is exactly what they plan to do.  When asked who the Colonel was, they saud that everyone will find out soon enough! 

MATCH:

NICOLAI VOLKOFF DEFEATS BUBBA DOUGLAS WITH THE RUSSIAN BACKBREAKER

Volkoff does his best to anger the fans by insulting not only their country but their incompetent World Champion… Hulk Hogan

Who is the biggest threat to Hulk Hogan and his new title… only time will tell!

STORY LINE #3  So Why did Randy Savage come out to prevent Hulk Hogan from being attacked by Sweetan and Ox Baker in his World Title Match Against Jerry Lawler?

In an interview with both Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage we find out that apparently Hogan went to Savage after he was attacked by Heenan in his AWA North American Title Match with Bret Hart.  Hogan consoled Savage and explained that he has been dealing with the Weasel Bobby Heenan for a long time and that the two of them should join together to watch each other’s back!  When Randy Savage rushed out to stop Sweetan and Baker from their attack on Hogan, it was the first time that this alliance was in effect but Heenan and all of the rest of the Heels in the AWA better beware!

STORYLINE #4:  What is the current status of Hot Stuff Inc.!

Trongard reminds us that in recent weeks we have seen Precious give Eddie Gilbert a kiss which seemed to anger Jimmy Garvin and then Precious was sprayed with some sort of green mist after she taunted Keiji Mutoh.

Eddie Gilbert, in a quick interview, admits that he has not seen Precious or Jimmy Garvin sense the ESPN show and believes that Jimmy Garvin has left All-Star Wrestling and taken Precious with him because he was jealous of Eddie Gilbert.  Gilbert doesn’t seem very concerned and says Hot Stuff Inc. is about to get an upgrade! When asked what that meant, Gilbert simply smiled into the camera and says Hot Stuff Inc. is about to be Perfect!

STORYLINE #5:  YOUNG LIONS TOURNAMENT

MATCH

NIKITA KOLOFF CRUSHES BART BATTEN WITH THE RUSSIAN SICKLE

MATCH:

DAVEY BOYS SMITH DEFEATS MARTY JANNETTY WITH THE RUNNING POWER SLAM

STANDINGS:

Eddie Gilbert                     1-0:  2 Points                                    Bart Batten:                      0-1:  0 Points

Nikita Koloff                      1-0:  2 Points                                    Marty Jannety                   0-1:  0 Points

Davey Boy Smith              1-0:  2 Points                                    Kendall Windham             0-0

Keiji Mutoh                       0-1:  0 Points                                    Ricky Vaughn                   0-0

STORYLINE #6:  AWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE:

Match:  The Sheiks (Patera & Blackwell) with Sheik Adnan defeat Mr. Wrestling II and Jules Strongbow as Adnan interferes to help get the pin on Strongbow.

OTHER MATCHES:

Sweet Brown Sugar & Koko Ware defeat The Turk and Ciclon Negro with the Double Drop Kick

Mr. Wrestling II defeats Larry Cheatum with the Millon Dollar Knee lift

Rick Martel defeated Jos Leduc by DQ as Dynamite Kid interfered when Martel had Leduc in the Boston Crab

Questions are answered! The Heenan Family looks pretty impressive with Hart, Hennig and Rude. 

Hogan is the champ again but it looks like there's a lot of contenders lining up. Hogan has a plan and the Mega Powers are serving notice! 

Garvin and Precious are gone but Hot Stuff has something in the works. 

Young Lions tournament continues to roll. I'm still picking Nikita. 

All Star Wrestling is on fire as new alliances are formed and ready to rock! 

I've always wondered what could've been IRL if Bret Hart had been a part of the Heenan Family. Looks like I'm gonna have my answer here. Honestly, I love that move. This makes Bret, in my eyes, your top heel, simply by being associated with Bobby Heenan.

Hart, Henning, and Rude as The Heenan Family is fantastic. You add a John Studd type to round things out and you have one hell of an unstoppable force.

Looks like the vultures are lining up for there shot at Hogan, but the most dangerous guy is probably the one he has chosen to watch his back. Though I have to tell you, the fan in me is excited to see Bad News with a legit shot at the Hulkster!

and Gilbert better have something BIG up his sleeve if he has any hope of getting past Nikita in the Young Lions!

kevinmcfl

The Rosemont Horizon:  Chicago:  April 4th, 1984

1.       Koko Ware & Sweet Brown Sugar defeats Buck Zumhofe & Jules Strongbow in a match that ends with a handshake following the Double Drop Kick on Zumhofe 

2.       YOUNG LIONS TOURNAMENT:   Kendall Windham defeats Ricky Vaughn with the Running Bulldog 

3.       Ox Baker defeats Mr. Wrestling II as Bob Sweetan hit Wrestling II with a piledriver when the ref was knocked down.   

4.       AWA LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH:  Dynamite Kid defeats Greg Gagne with help from Jos Leduc who distracted the ref and allowed Kid to catch Gagne with a foreign object 

5.      Crusher defeats Ciclon Negro after a wild brawl  

6.      Bruce Hart & Jim Neidhart defeat Jos Leduc and Davey Boy Smith as Gagne came to ringside and got the attention of Leduc.  This allowed him to get in an Anvil Powerslam. 

7.       Nicolai Volkoff defeated Brad Rheingans with the Bear Hug.   

8.      $10,000 20 MAN OVER THE TOP BATTLE ROYAL 

Winner:  The Sheiks:  After disposing of many of the other wrestlers, Jerry Blackwell and Ken Patera found themselves to be the last two standing.  It appeared that they were going to fight it out to see who was the best but Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie got them both to leave the ring through the middle ropes and share the victory.

9.      Randy Savage & Rick Martel defeated Bret Hart & Curt Hennig when Bobby Heenan accidentally hit Hart with a chair which allowed Martel to cover him.  Rick Rude rushed the ring and Heenan’s family ended up leaving Savage and Martel laying in the ring.

After that post handshake double dropkick, Sugar and Ware look to be turning heel. That could be really interesting.

Young Kendall gets a win in the always exciting Young Lions tournament. 

Sweetan and OX are causing a lot of trouble. Mr. Wrestling 2 is their latest victim. 

Leduc helps Dynamite retain over Gagne but Gagne gets some payback later and costs Leduc his tag match.

Crusher and Ciclon have a fun brawl as Crusher prevails. 

Russia gets the best of USA tonight as Nikolai defeats Rheingens.

Sheiks come back from their tag title defeat and co win a battle royal. Good way to get their heat back.

Savage and Martel is a great combo and they end up with the win over Hart and Hennig thanks to Heenan LOL.

The Rosemont Horizon delivers another money making card! 

kevinmcfl

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING:  April 7, 1984:  WGN TV:  Winnipeg Arena

From coast to coast, continent to continent and border to border, we welcome you to AWA All-Star Wrestling coming to you from the Winnipeg Arena.   I am Rod Trongard and what a show we have for you tonight.  Let’s get ready our first match.  As the camera starts to focus on the ring, the cameraman gets stuck starring and one hot lady and it is like he can’t help himself.  It seems to happen over and over again throughout the show.

STORY LINE #1:  AWA WORLD TITLE

MATCH:  Bad News Allen defeats Jules Strongbow with the Ghetto Blaster

At the interview desk, Bad News is still claiming he is the only undefeated wrestler in All-Star Wrestling and he deserves a World Title Shot but Verne Gagne is afraid to make the match because he knows that chump Hulk Hogan can’t beat him.

Verne Gagne comes out and says that he never gives into the demands of a wrestler but the facts are the facts and the AWA Board of Directors has declared Bad News Allen the #1 contender for the AWA World Title.  So Bad News, your title shot will be on April 25th in the Coral in Calgary against whoever the World Champion is.

Bad News is rolling his hand in a fist and slamming it into the other as he is already amped up for a match that is over 3 weeks away.  Trongard wants Gagne to explain what he meant by the statement whoever is the champion as we all know the champ is Hulk Hogan. 

Verne Gagne:  You are corrected Rod but Hulk has a lot of matches all over the AWA over the next few weeks and he actually has a match against Bob Sweetan this week in the St. Paul Civic Center!  If Hogan does lose any of those matches, Bad News Allen will face the new champion. 

w4EzSz8.jpg?1

MATCH: 

Bob Sweetan with Ox Baker defeats Marty Jannety with 2 piledrivers…

(Ox also added a Heart Punch for effect after the match was already over)

When asked why he gave young Jannety a second piledriver, Sweetan responded, “Just to show that chump Hogan what is going to happen to him this week in St. Paul.  They don’t call me Mr. Piledriver for nothing and when I am done with him, they will introduce Hogan as the 2 time former AWA champion!  He cheated his way to the title from Jerry Lawler and now I am going to prove that cheaters never win.

vsQzihn.jpg?1

Interview with Hulk Hogan later in the show:

Okerlund is so excited to welcome in the new AWA Heavyweight Champion, Hulk Hogan. 

Hogan is real humble in the fact that he owes a lot to the fans and to Randy Savage for stopping Ox Baker and Bob Sweetan from interfering in the match he won the title against from Jerry Lawler. He Hulkamaniacs and the Largest Arms in the World… Bad News Allen will no longer be undefeated. He then turns his attention to Bob Sweetan and his match in St. Paul this week and he gets real serious and warns Sweetan that he has truly angered the Hulkster and that means Bad News for him!

STORY LINE #2:  YOUNG LIONS TOURNAMENT

MATCH:  Young Lions Tournament

Nikita Koloff vs Bart Batten

It takes all of 30 seconds for Nikita to connect with the Russian Sickle and gain the victory.  The problem was that Uncle Nicolai on the outside of the ring wanted more so Nikita pulled Batten up at the count of two and hit another Russian Sickle!

1…. 2…

Rod Trongard:  Oh Come on.  Koloff has pulled Batten up again.

Irish Whip and Russian Sickle #3!  Finally we get the three count as Battan is completely out of it.  

2JrE4cL.png?1

Just as Nikita and Nicolai exit the ring with the victory, the crowd explodes as Sargent Slaughter hits the ring! 

Trongard can’t believe Sarge is back in All-Star Wrestling and he is sounding confident that Sarge will find away to fix the Russian problem around here.

Slaughter is pointing at Nikita and daring him to come back in the ring.  Nikita is game but Nicolai convinces him to walk away and fight another day.

Sargent Slaughter with Gene Okerland:

Sgt. Slaughter:  Enough is Enough.  I have watched these Commie maggots for the past few weeks and they seem to have one goal.  Injur wrestlers from the great U.S. of A.  Ffrom now on, they are going to have to go through me.  I have already got Verne Gagne to sign the match and this week it will be me in Volkoff in the St. Paul Civic Center and when it is over… it will be the Red White and Blue leaving with the victory.

MATCH:

Keiji Mutoh defeats Ricky Vaughn with the Superkick

(Once again, Mutoh’s martial arts and aerial tactics wow the crowd!)

STANDINGS:

Eddie Gilbert                     1-0:  2 Points                                    Bart Batten:                      0-1:  0 Points

Nikita Koloff                      1-0:  2 Points                                    Marty Jannety                   0-1:  0 Points

Davey Boy Smith              1-0:  2 Points                                    Kendall Windham             1-0:  2 Points

Keiji Mutoh                        1-1:  2 Points                                    Ricky Vaughn                     0-2:  O Points

ANGLE 3:  THE AWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE:

MATCH:  The Sheiks (Jerry Blackwell & Ken Patera) crush Tom Stone & Micky Brady

At the interview desk, Sheik Adnan Al Kassie is all hyped up about his two men being the last two standing at last week’s $10,000 Over the Top Rope Battle Royal in the Rosemont Horizon.  He goes on to demand another shot at the Road Warriors and the AWA Tag team title.  He says there is no team in professional wrestling that can match size and strength and the soon the titles will be around the waist of the rightful champions.

All of a sudden, Rod Trongard is shocked as Dr. Death Steve Williams and Manny Fernandez make their first appearance in All-Star Wrestling and get right in the faces of the Sheiks and say that the #1 contenders to the AWA Tag title will now go through them and there is nothing the Sheik’s money he can do about it!

ShSo9nu.png?4

To the surprise of everyone around, this really tense situation remains nonviolent but you can tell Blackwell and Patera are not the least bit intimated.  This is a situation that we will have to keep our eyes on and there is no doubt that the Road Warriors have some real competition here in All-Star Wrestling.

STORYLINE #4:  THE HEENAN FAMILY

Gene Okerlund interviews the entire family (Heenan, Hennig, Rude and the North American Champion Bret Hart)

Gene Okerlund:  It seems to me Bobby Heenan, your “family” is getting real good at ducking the competition.

Bobby Heenan:  ok… listen to me you bald headed fruit cake. The wrestler’s I manage would never duck anyone.  I mean in just a few minutes, the Ravishing One is going to wrestle Tupper Ware

Trongard:  You mean Koko Ware

Heenan:  What ever, nobody will know his name when Rude is done with him.  Also, this week in St. Paul, Bret Hart will defend his title against none other than the boss’s son… Greg Gagne.

Gene Okerlund sees Bret Hart laughing at that one and Okerlund wonders why?

Bret Hart:  Give me a break… first Verne Gagne steals my father’s company and then he thinks his unathletic son deserves to be in the same ring as me.

Greg Gagne comes rushing to ring and is fuming about Bret Hart and the camera catches him yelling to the interview area for Bret Hart to come to the ring now if he thinks he is so good!

Bret Hart with a smirk on his face heads to the ring and the rest of the family follows.  While there is no referee in the ring, Hart enters and goes right after Gagne who ducks under Bret and rolls him up for what is an obvious three count.  While this is going on, we see Randy Savage and Rick Martel rush out to the ring to even the sides.

Bret Hart finally kicks out and rolls to the floor with the rest of the family as Gagne, Martel and Savage control the ring.

The “Family” is fuming and the crowd loves that Bobby “the Brain” Heenan was finally outsmarted for once.

Later in the show… Heenan who is all business leads Rick Rude to the ring for his match against Koko Ware.

MATCH:  Rick Rude vs Koko Ware

A really good tv match that goes nearly 10 minutes.  We see Rude use his power to his advantage but there where plenty of times that Koko was just too fast for Rude and was able to control the action.  Ware hit Rude with three big headbutts and climbed to the top rope and was about to fly but Heenan was able to shake the ropes causing Ware to lose his balance and Koko fell into one of those obviously painful splits across the top rope.  Rude recovered… executed a big piledriver and gained the win.   

Later we find out that Verne was so mad at “the families” comments about him and his son that he added a match for the St. Paul Civic Center.  It will be Randy Savage against Bobby Heenan!  As the crowd goes nuts, Heenan comes running out and is screaming about the injustice and how it isn’t safe to get in the ring with a Wildman like Savage. 

This time, it is Verne who smirks and simply walks away.

STORYLINE #5:  HOT STUFF INC.

The crows is interested to see who comes out with Eddie Gilbert as Rod Trongard reminds us that Gilbert promised a new and improved Hot Stuff Inc. after Jimmy Garvin left All-Star Wrestling because he was jealous that Precious liked him more. 

As Eddie Gilbert walks out he is alone but he is in a sleeveless tuxedo like he is going to give out an award…

Eddie Gilbert:  Being as perfect as I am… I mean who else is soon going to be the AWA Light Heavyweight Champion and the 1984 Young Lion of the Year, I knew Hot Stuff Inc. needed the perfect manager. I need someone who could come to the ring and knock someone out if I needed.  I needed someone who could articulate the needs of Hot Stuff to Verne Gagne when he is keeping us down. In other words, I needed someone who is as Perfect as me!

Rod Trongard:  Oh brother!  Come on Gilbert.  Do you have a new member of “Hot Stuff Inc.”

All of a sudden that hot lady from the crowd gets up and simply steps over the railing and comes over to the interview desk.  She is like 5’10 and looks like she could handle any situation that may arise as she has the body to do anything!

Eddie Gilbert:  No… I have the Perfect 10 as my new manager!  Welcome to All-Star Wrestling Baby Doll!

The duo lock arms and strut away!

rlXRSxj.jpg?1  c2BVYLj.jpg?3

OTHER MATCHES: 

Bruce Hart defeated Dynamite Kid by DQ in a Light Heavyweight Title match as Davey Boy Smith pushed Hart off the top rope as he was going for a top rope elbow drop.  Keith Hart rushed out but he also succumbed to the 2-1 attack.  We find out later that it will be the Hart Brothers vs Kid and Davey Boy Smith in the St. Paul Civic Center.

The Turk Ali Bey defeats Bubba Douglas with the Camel Clutch

Really enjoying the push of Bad News here....looking forward to seeing him challenge for the World Championship

Sarge vs. Volkoff will be a great draw but the real fun will be when Slaughter faces off with Nikita one of these days

Dr Death/Fernandez showing up will really shake up the tag team scene!

Baby Doll is a perfect fit for Gilbert, this should be a lot of fun moving forward.

Great debut for Slaughter! Volkoff holding Nikita back, and Slaugter facing Vokoff first is all great build for the inevitable war.

Dr. Death and The Raging Bull against Blackwell and Patera should be an awesome fight.

The Hulkster vs Bad News will certainly have me rooting for a new champion!!

1 hour ago, Captain Redneck said:

The pic of Bad News Allen is actually Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown.
I really like the Bulldogs as heels.
Savage/Martel = money!
Dr. Death & Fernandez are a stiff team. Patera & Blackwell will be potatoed for sure.
Mutoh is dynamic

Sorry for the pic.  Will fix it.

All-Star Wrestling keeps on rolling.

Cant wait for Bad News vs. Hogan! But first Hogan has to get through Sweetan and he better watch out for Ox as well. 

Nikita with a brutal and dominating win over Batten. Things are going great for the Russians until Sgt. Slaughter arrives! Nothing sold tickets in the 80s like a classic USA vs. USSR feud. 

Sheiks are on a roll right now as is the entire tag team division. And now,  Dr. Death and the Raging Bull are here! 

LOL, Heenan is great. Loved that entire segment. Hart makes some insulting comments towards the Gagne's and now Heenan has to face Savage! Great stuff.

Solid match between Rude and Ware. Rude gets the win after a tough fight. 

What a way to close the show as Gilbert introduces the Perfect 10 Baby Doll! No doubt these two will cause some trouble.

That St. Paul card looks like a big draw.

ST. PAUL CIVIC CENTER:  April 11th, 1984

1.      YOUNG LIONS TOURNAMENT:  Kendall Windham defeats Bart Batten with the Running Bulldog.

2.      Dynamite Kid & Davey Boy Smith defeated Sweet Brown Sugar & Koko Ware after Jos Leduc bodyslammed Koko Ware on the cement floor and Ware couldn’t make It back in the ring.

3.      Dr. Death Steve Williams & Manny Fernandez crushed The Turk & Ciclon Negro with the end coming when Williams hit the Oklahoma Stampede on Negro

4.       Randy Savage defeated Bobby Heenan with the Top Rope Elbow Drop but suffered a bit for it as Rick Rude and Curt Hennig attacked after the match until Rick Martel made the save

5.       Jerry Blackwell & Ken Patera defeated Keith & Bruce Hart by Submission when Patera locked in the Full Nelson on Bruce

6.      AWA NORTH AMERICAN TITLE:  Bret Hart with the help of a trip by Bobby Heenan defeated Greg Gagne with the Northern Lights Cloverleaf.

7.      Sgt. Slaughter defeats Nicolai Volkoff after he recovered from a huge Backbreaker from the Russian and hit the Cannon Lariat followed by the Cobra Clutch

8.      Rick Martel & Curt Hennig wrestled to a DDQ as they brawled all over the ring.

9.      AWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE:  Hulk Hogan defeats Bob Sweetan when he followed up the big right hand with the Leg Drop. Ox Baker had tried to interfere but was knocked down with the Big Boot to the face by Hogan

Like that Bulldogs/Sugar-Ware match up. 

Williams and Fernandez make a statement with that win. 

Savage gets some revenge on Heenan but suffers a post match beating from the Family.

The Sheiks are looking as devastating as ever. Every since losing their titles they've been on a serious roll.

Bret retains against Gagne with a little help from Heenan. 

Slaughter wins round 1 against the Russians with a win over Nikolai. 

Looks like Martel and Hennig will continue their feud. 

Hogan retains against Sweetan and then puts Ox down. Hogan is looking strong as AWA Champ. 

Great card for St. Paul.

Bulldogs vs. Koko/Sweet Brown Sugar was probably a potential show stealer!

Sweetan makes for a good challenger for Hogan IMO.....Ox Baker is on his last legs here but still a great potential challenger for Hogan...especially on tv.

Perfect way to handle Heenan...losing to Savage and popping the crowd but leaving with his heat when the Family gets revenge on the Macho Man

The Sheiks look even stronger as challengers than they did as champions, great work quickly rebuilding them and keeping the heat on them.

kevinmcfl

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING:  April 14, 1984:  WGN TV:  Winnipeg Arena

From coast to coast, continent to continent and border to border, we welcome you to AWA All-Star Wrestling coming to you from the Salt Palace in Salt Lake City, Utah.  I am Rod Trongard and joining me in the interview area is Gene Okerlund.  What a show we have for you tonight.  Let’s get ready our first match. 

STORY LINE #1:  AWA WORLD TITLE

MATCH:  Bad News Allen defeats Tony Torres with the Ghetto Blaster

At the interview desk, Bad News is real serious about how bad he is going to hurt Hulk Hogan on April 25th on Calgary as he takes the AWA World title.  As the interview goes on, Bad News just keeps punching his right hand, which is covered in a black glove, into his left hand. 

As the interview ends, we find out that it will be Hulk Hogan in a rare TV match tonight where he will defend the World Title against Ox Baker.

Later in the show in the Main Event:

MATCH:  AWA WORLD TITLE MATCH

Hulk Hogan vs Ox Baker with Bob Sweetan

Ox is waiting in the ring for Hogan who is slapping hands with the fans on his way to the squared circle.  Ox wastes no time as he attacks the champ before the bell.  This allows Ox to control the first 3 or 4 minutes before Hogan begins his adrenaline-lead comeback.  Hogan blocked the Heart Punch which Trongard told us would have given Ox the title if he connected with it.  From here, we know what is coming as Hogan hits Ox with the big right hand followed by the Big Boot.  The Hulkster hits the ropes and is going for the big leg drop.

Rod Trongard:  Oh no… Here we go.  Sweetan trips Hogan and is in the ring.

Hogan just turns his attention to Mr. Piledriver who he just beat in the St. Paul Civic Center.  Hogan knocks Sweetan down with the Big Fist followed by another big boot.  As Hogan goes for the legdrop, Trongard warns us all that Bad News Allen is coming to the ring.  The crowd is booing as loud as they can but this means nothing to Allen. 

WHAM…. Hogan Leg drop on Sweetan and he is down…

WHAM…. Bad News connects with that right hand covered by the black glove to Hogan as the champ turned around!

Hogan simply crumbles and is out cold.  The show ends as Bad News is standing with one foot across the chest of Hogan as he is making the belt sign around his waist.  Trongard wishes us all a good night as he wonders what is up with that black glove! 

STORY LINE #2:  YOUNG LIONS TOURNAMENT

MATCH:  Young Lions Tournament

Nikita Koloff destroys Ricky Vaughn with the Russian Sickle

It takes all of 30 seconds for Nikita to connect with the Russian Sickle and gain the victory. 

Nikita and Nicolia Volkoff with Gene Okerland:

Volkoff:  Sgt. Slaughter thinks he can stick his nose into our business.  Well Mister Sargent Slaughter… I warn you that you will not survive a war with us just like your stupid President… Ronald Reagan would not win a war with Mother Russia. 

While the interview was going on, Nikita Koloff kept contorting his face into wild positions as he flexed his huge traps.

MATCH:

Keiji Mutoh defeats Marty Jannetty with the Moonsault

(Once again, Mutoh’s martial arts and aerial tactics wow the crowd!)

MATCH:

Eddie Gilbert with Baby Doll defeats Bart Batten with the Hot Shot

Baby Doll gave Batten a huge smack prior to the match and when asked about it at the interview desk after the match Baby Doll responded, “Look at me and then look at him.  I am the Perfect 10 and he doesn’t deserve to be in my presence and then that disgusting loser had the nerve to look at me.  He got what he deserved!  She also hyped up the fact that Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert is in first place in the Young Lions Cup. 

STANDINGS:

Eddie Gilbert                     2-0:  2 Points                                    Bart Batten:                      0-2:  0 Points

Nikita Koloff                      2-0:  4 Points                                    Marty Jannety                   0-2:  0 Points

Davey Boy Smith              1-0:  2 Points                                    Kendall Windham             1-0:  2 Points

Keiji Mutoh                        2-1:  4 Points                                    Ricky Vaughn                     0-3:  O Points

ANGLE 3:  THE AWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE:

MATCH:  Dr. Death Steve Williams & Manny Fernandez crush Tom Stone & Micky Brady as Williams hits the Oklahoma Stampede on Stone

At the interview desk, Williams & Fernandez hype up the fact that no matter what the Sheiks say, they are the team who deserves a title shot against the Road Warriors.

Sheik Adnan Al Kassie, Patera & Blackwell interrupt the interview and just like last week, we have a

tense situation between these two teams.  Unlike last week though, this one erupts into a brawl!  Even though it was 3-2, Dr, Death and Fernandez held there own as Rod Trongard quickly took us to break.

Later in the show, Paul Ellering, Animal and Hawk come to the interview desk where they make it clear to both the Sheiks and Williams and Fernandez that it makes no difference to them which team they face as they are in the business of hurting people and both teams will make great victims.   

STORYLINE #4:  THE HEENAN FAMILY

MATCH:  Rick Rude with Heenan defeats Sweet Brown Sugar as Heenan tripped Sugar allowing Rude to connect with a Piledriver.

At the interview desk, Heenan is fuming that Savage dared to put his hands on Heenan last week in St. Paul and then showed the video of all of Heenan’s Family (Rude, Hennig and Bret Hart) attacking Savage!

Bobby Heenan:  Let all of the humanoids in tv land know and all of the jealous wrestlers around here know that nobody can outsmart the Family and were ever you see one of us, you will see the rest of us!

Verne Gagne comes out and explains that he is sick and tired of Heenan and his family attacking whenever they have the numbers advantage.  He goes on to explain that Bret Hart seemed to enjoy attacking Randy Savage last week.  When Hart agrees, Verne says that is great as this week in the Denver Auditorium it will be Bret Hart vs Randy Savage for the AWA North American title.  Hart is fuming at this announcement but Verne said he was not done as he needs to make sure the Heenan family is controlled so the match will be a No DQ Steel Cage Match! 

As we go to break, you can tell the Family is real mad!

OTHER MATCHES: 

Sgt. Slaughter defeated Ciclon Negro with the Cobra Clutch

Dynamite Kid defeated Buck Zumhofe with a powerslam in an AWA Light Heavyweight Title Match

Rick Martel defeated Jos Leduc by DQ as Davey Boy Smith interfered. 

Gilbert had best enjoy his lead in the Young Lions tournament, because there is a Nightmare in his future. Sgt. Slaughter is gonna be able to tell him all about it real soon.

Hart and Savage in a Cage!! That is going to be sweet!!

Hulkamania was running wild on Ox and Sweetan, but Bad News made short work of the Champ. Have to assume the glove is loaded, but now he is in the champs head. The beer bellied share cropper may be in trouble on the 25th!!