Pro Wrestling Only

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

kevinmcfl

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nikita continues to dominate the Young Lions tournament. 

Looks like Gagne gave Dynamite more than he bargained for as Leduc had to interfere. 

Ox and Sweetan get one over on Sugar and Ware. glad this feud is still going on. 

Sarge and Anvil are gelling well and might be getting into title contention. 

That Hart/Martel match would of given me my money's worth. 

Williams and Fernandez gave the Road Warriors a fight! 

After what happened in the main event we might be on the verge of a Mega Powers/Sheiks confrontation! 

kevinmcfl

AWA ALL-STARS

May 12, 1984

After falling a bit behind here, I have decided to just give a summary of what has been going on in All-Star Wrestling and to pick back up where I left off.

AWA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP: 

Hulk Hogan continues to be the AWA World Champion but he is without his belt.  Frustrated at the referee’s decision a few weeks ago, Bad News Allen left the ring with the belt and said he will not return it as he is the rightful owner.  When Verne Gagne threatened to suspend Allen for not returning the belt, Allen said that he would walk out of the AWA forever and they would never see their historic championship belt again.  This is a wait and see game of cat and mouse that is being played out with the AWA Title.

AWA NORTH AMERICAN TITLE GAME

Bret Hart continues to be the champ with Randy Savage in hot pursuit.  The problem for Savage has been getting a clean win over Hart.  Bobby Heenan is quick to call in reinforcements anytime that Hart is in trouble and even of Rick Martel or Hulk Hogan join in to help Randy, the DQ has already been called for and Hart keeps the title.

AWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE

The question here isn’t so much who the champions are but who they are going to face.  The Road Warriors continue to hang on to their titles but both the Sheiks (Patera and Blackwell) and Dr. Death and Manny Fernandez have given them some tough bouts.  Both sets of challengers continue to go back and forth to see who the #1 contender is and as they beat each other from pillar to post, they might just be wearing each other down just enough to make beating the Road Warriors impossible.  The winners in all of this might just be Davey Boy Smith and Dynamite Kid who continue to rise in the tag team rankings.

AWA YOUNG LIONS TOURNAMENT

The tournament has seen 4 Young Lions rise to the top of this round robin tournament.  Keiji Mutoh is 4-2 with one match left against Davey Boy Smith while Smith, Eddie Gilbert and Nikita Koloff are all undefeated.  Smith must face all three top contenders while Gilbert and Koloff must face Smith and each other.  This tournament has seen the heels outduel the babyfaces and it will be interesting to see who the fans will back.  One thing for sure is that it won’t be the Russian Nightmare Nikita Koloff. 

CANADA DAY:  MONDAY JUY 1: 

AWA All-Star Wrestling has begun to promote its next huge event which will be held in the Saddledome on Canada Day, July 1, 1984.  This event is expected to draw huge numbers at it is just days before the beginning of the Calgary Stampede.  This event is more than a wrestling show as rumor has it, All-Star wrestling is in a power struggle.  Verne Gagne and Stu Hart understand that their future depends on the success of the AWA but they may have different views on how to get there.  Stu Hart’s 6 month suspension from running events in Calgary due to the riot on December 23, 1983 is coming to an end and it seems he wants control of the Canadian city.  Part of the tension between these two is that Verne seems to have reduced the role of both Keith and Bruce Hart.  In fact, many in the industry say he is actively trying to send the two packing.  A Border War seems to be on the horizon! 

AWA STAMPEDE TITLE

Due to the size of the AWA All-Star territory, Gagne and Hart have decided to rotate TV tapings between the Corral in Calgary and the Minneapolis Auditorium. The explanation makes sense, but again, people are wondering if this is due to the rift between Hart and Gagne.  As the roster gets somewhat split between the USA and Canada, Verne and Stu have decided to add the AWA Stampede title.  This would allow them to defend a title in multiple cities on the same day.  Information to follow.

FEUDS THAT REMAIN HOT

Sgt. Slaughter and Jim Neidhart continue to want a piece of the Russians but with Nikita involved in the Young Lion’s Tournament, these teams have not squared off very often.  Instead, we are getting singles matches with either Slaughter or Neidhart facing off with Nicolai Volkoff.  At times, we have seen Ciclon Negro join in this battle which is just fine with the fans as they want to see any Anti-Americans go down.

Curt Hennig and Rick Martel continue to go at each other these two former tag team partners are still hot under the collar.  The problem here is that Martel has to deal with the same numbers problem as Savage has to do with Bret Hart and Bobby “the Brain Heenan masterminds his family.

Sweet Brown Sugar and Koko Ware vs Ox Baker and Bob Sweetan continues to be a midcard feud that sees both teams rotating the victories

Regular shows to pick up soon!

With tensions rising between Verne and Stu, the big Canada Day card should be on epic event! 

Very interested in watching the Bad News/Hogan/Verne title hostage storyline play out. 

Love the addition of the Stampede title and alternating shows. It will be interesting watching certain pushes in certain territories. 

Zwho6Q4.jpg?1

Presented by AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

May 18, 1984

A montage of all the top Stampede Wrestlers of both past and present is shown.

Ed Whalen:  Well fans, what a great day it is.  A great day indeed.  Stampede Wrestling is back and so are your favorite stars including the entire Hart family, Dynamite Kid, Davey Boy Smith and Jos Leduc along with other top AWA stars such as Hulk Hogan and the Road Warriors.  On today’s show we will see Bad News Allen in action, Ox Baker and Bob Sweetan will be taking on Bruce and Keith Hart, Ricky Vaughn will try and get back to his wining ways against the great Keiji Mutoh and in a real ring a ding dong dandy, it will be Davey Boy Smith vs Eddie Gilbert in the Young Lion’s Tournament but first we must bring in face of Stampede Wrestling, Stu Hart.

Ed Whalen:  Well it must be great Stu to be back in Calgary and Stamped Wrestling.

Stu Hart:  Let’s make one thing clear Ed… it is beyond great but I am not back; at least not yet.  My suspension from the promoting in the City of Calgary continues until June 23.  Also, Verne Gagne and myself continue to run AWA All-Star Wrestling and Stampede is just one small part of that great territory.  Verne and I will continue to work closely together but we thought it was best if we kind of divided the region as it was just too big for one man.  I will be running AWA Stampede here in the Prairie Provinces of Canada … Alberta, Saskachawan, and Manitoba and Verne will focus more on Mid-America down in the States.  We will still come together for major events and I excited to announce that the next major event will be on Canada Day on July 1 in the greatest city on earth, Calgary!  This event is going to so big we need the Saddledome to host it.  There will be 4 huge title matches including the first ever Stampede Wrestling Title match.

Ed Whalen:  Wow… what an event and all just in time to celebrate your return to Calgary!  Folks we will get to our first match right after this commercial break. 

(Commercials)

Promos for shows in Edmonton, Saskatoon, Red Deer, Brandon, Lloydminster, Swift Current)

MATCH:  Ricky Vaughn vs Keiji Mutoh

In a bit of a surprise, Vaughn holds his own vs Mutoh in this opening bout.  Vaughn certainly has the body to succeed in wrestling but has struggled in the Young Lion’s Tournament while Mutoh has wowed the crowd at every turn.  Mutoh does pull out the victory here after he followed up a baseball sliding dropkick with a Moonsault.  Ed Whalen hypes up both these youngster’s futures as it was an awesome match to begin the return of Stampede Wrestling.   

(Commercials)

Promos for shows in Edmonton, Saskatoon, Red Deer, Brandon, Lloydminster, Swift Current)

MATCH:  Bad News Allen vs Verlon Biggs

Bad News Allen comes out with the AWA World Title and Ed Whalen explains for those who have not been watching for a while, the Bad News Allen stole the belt from Hulk Hogan and is not the actual champion.  As for the match, Verlon might be big but he is no match for Bad News Allen who destroys his opponent with martial arts, power moves and surprising agility for a man his size!  The end came quick with Allen picking up the pin after the Ghetto Blaster.

At the interview desk….

Ed Whalen:  Well Mr. Allen, I see you have continued your criminal ways from the last time I saw you.  First, you start a riot in Calgary and now you steal the AWA World Title from its rightful owner.

Bad News Allen:  Shut up Whalen.  All you are is a mouthpiece for the authority.  I did not start that riot and I did not steal this title.  I beat Chump Hogan fair and square and Verne Gagne and Stu Hart paid the ref off.  I have no problem meeting Hogan in the center of the ring as long as the rules are fair…. Whoever wins ….  wins by any means necessary … is the AWA Champ.  If that does not happen… the AWA will never see their precious belt again. 

We see a video tape of Hulk Hogan and Verne Gagne threatening Bad News Allen with everything from a beat down to a fine to a suspension.

Bad News Allen is laughing the entire time and says that he knows that Hulk Hogan will be in the Sales Pavillion this week in Edmonton to face Ox Baker and if he is man enough, he should come get his belt back.

(Commercials)

MATCH:  Ox Baker & Bob Sweetan vs Bruce & Keith Hart

While AWA All-Stars has been back in Calgary since the merger between Stu and Verne, the crowd is really amped up here as the Hart’s make their way to the ring.  As for the match, it is speed and technical ability vs power and rule breaking.  We get a nice back and for match that ends up going bonzo gonzo as all 4 men are in the ring.  Baker and Bruce tumble to the outside as Keith surprises Sweetan with a sunset flip and gets the pinfall.  Sweetan and Baker are fuming.  Baker hits Bruce with the Heart Punch and Sweetan recovers to hit a piledriver on Keith.

Ed Whalen:  Oh this is a heinous attack… we need to get some help out here!

The crowd goes wild as Brad Rheingans, Greg Gagne and yes… Jim Brunzell, rush to the ring.

Ed Whalen:  Oh this is going to be great.  It looks like the High Flyers are back together and they mean business. 

WHAM!

Ed Whalen:  Oh no…. A Malfunction at the Junction… Rheingans, Gagne and Brunzell are helping Ox and Sweetan.  Rheingans with repeated suplexes on Bruce while the others pound on Keith!

Eventually, the beating comes to an end, as Bruce and Keith are left laying there and Stu rushes out to help his sons.

(Commercials)

MAIN EVENT: 

YOUNG LION’S TOURNAMENT MATCH

Eddie Gilbert with Baby Doll vs Davey Boy Smith

Whalen hypes up this match as he reminds us that each of the wrestler’s is undefeated so far and the winner of this match has a great chance to get to the finals which will be held at the Canada Day Spectacular right here in Calgary.  The crowd is really unsure as to who to root for.  Smith has been feuding with the Harts for a while now along with the other members of the Commonwealth Connection  and Gilbert and Hot Stuff Inc. don’t seem to be endearing themselves to the crowd either.  With this conflict, the Canadian fans side with Smith.  As for the match, Gilbert and Baby Doll strut to the ring as confident as ever but we soon get Gilbert playing the afraid heel.  After a pretty good beat down by Smith, Gilbert hides behind the ref.  This allows Baby Doll to come in from behind and connect with the LOW BLOW.  Gilbert scampers out from behind the ref and hits the Hot Shot for the win.

Ed Whalen:  Folks, at times what we saw tonight, disgusts me but understand how excited I am to be able to once again bring Stampede Wrestling to you.  So in the meantime and in the in-between time… that’s it another edition of Stampede Wrestling. 

Big debut from Stampede! Stu's "everything is fine, this is perfectly normal" is less than convincing. Will we see a full blown Minneapolis vs Calgary war? Definitely looking that way after a heinous attack on the Harts.

I know he's supposed to be the heel, but Bad News is cool as fuck. Could definitely go an 80s Stone Cold route with him.

The re debut of Stampede arrives! 

The Hogan/Bad News feud is red hot.

Mutoh and Gilbert pull out wins in the Young Lions tournament as it's announced the finals will be on Canada Day. 

The biggest surprise for me was the AWA guys Rheinghans and the High Flyers attacking the Harts. WOW! Did not see that coming. Looks like we might be heading into a territory war. 

Only a matter of time before both Verne and Stu explode. 

I think the only way to settle this is Verne vs Stu in the Hart Family Basement!

Seriously though, interesting stuff. If we are headed for a Minnesota vs Canada turf war, things are gonna get real interesting.

I can't wait for Hogan and Bad News to finally get it on. Got a feeling that one is gonna get nasty!

Kr12e3q.jpg?1

kevinmcfl

May 18, 1984

A montage of all the top AWA Wrestlers of both past and present is shown.

From coast to coast, continent to continent and border to border, we welcome you to AWA Mid-American All-Star Wrestling.    I am Rod Trongard and we are coming to you today from the Minneapolis Armory.  Fans, you might have noticed the new opening to our show and the slight name change, AWA Mid-American All-Star Wrestling.  Let’s bring in the head of the AWA, Verne Gagne to explain all of this to our great fans. 

Verne Gagne:  Let’s make one thing clear Rod… this is a very exciting day in the AWA.  Stu Hart and myself continue to run AWA All-Star Wrestling.  AWA Mid-American Wrestling is just one small part of that great territory.  Stu and I will continue to work closely together but we thought it was best if we kind of divided the region as it was just too big for one man.  I will be running AWA Mid America here in the United States and Stu will focus more on the territory to our north.  We will still come together for major events and I excited to announce that the next major event will be on Canada Day on July 1 in the great city of Calgary!  This event is going to so big we need the Saddledome to host it.  There will be 4 huge title matches including the first ever Stampede Wrestling Title match.  Also, fans stay tuned in the weeks to come as there will be a brand new championship, the AWA Mid-American Championship, added to our list of titles. 

Rod Trongard:  Wow Verne, what a great time to be a part of the AWA and the I promise you that the quality of the matches will not slip one iota.  To prove that listen to what you are instore for tonight… in the Young Guns Tournament, you will see none other than Nikita Koloff vs Keiji Mutoh.  Sgt. Slaughter will be taking on Ciclon Negro.  We will also see Crazy Luke Graham make his return to the AWA against newcomer Ricky Gibson.  That and much more. 

COMMERCIAL

Promos for this week’s shows in St. Paul:  Denver, Salt Lake city, Omaha, Lincoln, Des Moines

MATCH:  Sgt. Slaughter vs Ciclon Negro

Nothing better in 1984 then a little patriotic win vs the hated foreigner and that is exactly what we get here.  Negro attacked before the bell and gave it to Slaughter for a few minutes until Sarge turned the tide and followed up the Cannon Lariot with the Cobra Clutch for the Submission win.  At the interview desk Sarge is fuming and spitting about all the Foreign maggots here in Mid-American Wrestling and how he and Jim “Anvil” Neidhart are looking to start by eliminating the Russian problem here!

MATCH:  Buck Robley & “No Class” Bobby Bass vs Joe Stark & Jim Kent

The veteran heel team makes there debut here in All-Star and trie to set a record for rule breaking but they were so good and hiding it from the ref that they got away with it and made quick work of Stark and Kent. 

COMMERCIAL

Promos for this week’s shows in St. Paul:  Denver, Salt Lake city, Omaha, Lincoln, Des Moines

MATCH:

YOUNG LION’S TOURNAMENT

Nikita Koloff with Nicolai Volkolff vs Keiji Mutoh

Mutoh has performed well in this tournament to date but has a tall order in front of him.  In order to win the tournament he needs to beat the Russian Nightmare tonight!  Mutoh does wow the crowd early and is able to keep Koloff off balance with his speed and aerial tactics.  The problem was that he was always just one mistake away from being decapitated by the Sickle.  That problem came after Mutoh ducked under one sickle and came off the ropes with a flying cross body block only to be caught by Koloff and slammed to the ground.  The Sickle came next and it was all over. 

After the interview desk, Gene Okerlund congratulates Nikita and informs him that if he beats Davey Boy Smith in two weeks, he will face Eddie Gilbert for the Young Lions Tournament Championship.  The Russians are less then humble and are enjoying the fact that Americans are soooo stupid that they might believe that Eddie Gilbert could actually defeat the Russian Nightmare!

MATCH:  Luke Graham vs Ricky Gibson

This is the first match for both men in All-Star since the fall of the NWA but they are no strangers to the wrestling fans.  Graham is a bit past his prime but his size, antics and experience make him very dangerous.  Gibson on the other hand must use his speed and skill to stay in this match and he does just that as he ducks a big right hand by Graham and simply rolls him up for the pin.  As Gibson celebrates in the ring we hear …

Rod Trongard:  Oh no… this could only mean trouble.

Buck Robley and Bobby Bass are back in the ring and together with Graham, they really work over Gibson.  Eventually they attack comes to an end as the heels head to the locker room as Gibson is left laying in the center of the ring.

COMMERCIAL

Rod Trongard:  Fans, I do not know what that heinoius attack was all about nor do I understand the relationship between Luke Graham, Buck Robley and No Class Bobby Bass but I am sure Verne Gagne will not stand for such actions here in All-Star Wrestling.  We hope Ricky Gibson will be ok and be back in action real soon….

Bobby Heenan comes out to the interview desk and Trongard wonders aloud if things could get any worse today. 

Bobby Heenan:  Well hello to you to Trongard.  I am getting sick and tired of you, Verne Gagne and all the humanoids out there not giving my family the respect they deserve.  I was listening earlier tonight to Bad News Allen…. Now there is a man who should join “The Family” …. But that is a conversation for another day… anyway Allen threatened to disappear with the AWA World Title.  Well if Verne Gagne doesn’t want Bret Hart to do the same with the North American Title, he better stop granting Randy Savage title matches.  I mean even the fans are getting bored of watching Bret beat Savage to within an inch of his life. 

Verne comes out to a loud ovation and you can tell that he is fuming from all that has gone on around here tonight…. Between Bad News Allen, the arrival of Graham, Robley and Bass and now Bobby Heenan.

Verne Gagne:  Let’s get one thing correct.  I am still the match maker around here and in terms of who gets the title matches around here, those decisions are made by myself and the AWA Board of Directors.  Nothing has changed around here since you were a regular in the ring. 

A little light seems to go off in Verne’s head.

Verne Gagne:  In fact, Heenan… it has only been a few months since you were a regular in-ring wrestler and I remember you getting a lot of being time matches.

Bobby Heenan:  That is because I deserved them.  I am one of the best in the business.

Verne Gagne:  Exactly!  And since you are one of the best you will be able to prove that Randy Savage is not.  If you beat him cleanly…. TONIGHT…. Randy Savage will have another title shot but if he wins… Savage is still the #1 contender.  Also, Heenan … if any one interferes from your family… Bret Hart will be stripped of the title!  That match is NEXT!

Heenan acts like he has seen a Ghost but he has once again put his foot in his mouth.

COMMERCIAL

MATCH:  Randy Savage vs Bobby Heenan

As you would expect, Heenan is scared out of his mind and Savage is like a wild animal.  Savage is beating Heenan from pillar to post and Trongard reminds us that there is nothing the Family can do about it.  The problem comes when Savage is getting ready to finish off Heenan and Sheik Adnan Al Kaissie rushes to the ring with Patera and Blackwell.  It looks like Heenan has found away around Vern’s stipulations but from out of nowhere come Dr. Death and Manny Fernandez.  As two of the top tag teams in all of wrestling are going at it outside the ring….

WHAM….

Savage crashes down on Heenan with the top rope elbow drop for the win.

Rod Trongard:  Well folks… what a wild, first night of Mid-American All-Star Wrestling.  So long from the Armory in Minneapolis.

Graham, Robley, and Bass is an awesome stable of mid-card heels to tear shit up in Mid-American.

Nikita takes out Mutoh, and we inch closer to Gilbert having to pull a rabbit out of his ass to win the tournament.

Poor Bobby Heenan.....

Great ending, great show.

Liking the split.

I like this territory split. Verne and Stu are playing nice right now but for how long? 

The Young Lions tournament is winding down and it looks like we might get a Nikita/Gilbert final. That match will be very interesting. 

Gibson gets a debut win over Crazy Luke but Luke has aligned himself with Robley and Bass as they beat down Gibson. LOL, I like this trio.

What an ending! Heenan tries to pull some tricks but Williams and Fernandez stop the Sheiks. Savage puts Heenan down!  

I'm all for more Savage/Hart matches.  

Zwho6Q4.jpg?1

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

May 25, 1984

A video of last week’s attack on Bruce & Keith Hart ny Greg Gagne, Jim Brunzell and Brad Rheingans is shown after the musical intro. 

Ed Whalen:  Well fans, as you just saw, last week’s return if Stampede Wrestling ended on why disgusting attack by Greg Gagne, Jim Brunzell and Brad Rheingans.  Bruce and Keith are still recovering from this incident and will not be with us in studio but we will here from the Patriarch of Stampede Wrestling, Stu Hart.  We will also being seeing Greg Gagne in action today so by hook or by crook, we will get to the bottom of all of this.  We will also being seeing the self-proclaimed AWA World Champion, Bad News Allen in action tonight.  Ox Baker will also be taking on Ricky Vaughn and in the main event, it will be the British Bulldogs vs Koko Ware and Sweet Brown Sugar with the winner getting a shot at the Road Warriors and the World Title.  Before we head to the ring, let’s bring out Stu Hart.

Ed Whalen:  So Stu, what was behind that violent attack on your boys all about last week.

Stu Hart:  To be honest Ed, I have no idea.  Vern Gagne and I agreed to split the All-Star wrestling territory and then one week later his son does this.  The one thing I can tell you is that Bruce and Keith will not take this lying down.  I also know that they have been raised in the Hart Dungeon and have been taught to stand up for themselves.  I will not get involved …. Yet!

Ed Whalen:  Well folks, there you have it.  This war has begun and Stu Hart is going to just sit back and watch the highlights.  We will get to our first match right after this commercial break. 

(Commercials)

Promos for shows in Calgary Regina, Medicine Hat, Winnipeg, Lethbridge and Moose Jaw

MATCH:  Ox Baker defeats Mike Stone with the Heart Punch

Ox Baker and Bob Sweetan are at the interview area and the are both white hot!  First, Baker goes off on Hulk Hogan who he says cheated to get a win against him last week in Sales Pavillion in Edmonton.  Ed Whalen quickly says that Hogan did no such thing and that in fact, it was Sweetan who broke the rules by getting involved in a match that he had no business being involved in.  Sweetan now takes over the interview and we get to the crux of the problem which is the fact, that their nemesis, Sweet Brown Sugar and Koko Ware are facing the British Bulldogs later tonight and the winner gets a shot at the AWA World Champs… the Road Warriors.  Sweetan is saying that the title shot should be theirs and if the Road Warriors were hear right now, they would prove it to them.

The crowd erupts as none other then the Road Warrios come out….

Animal:  We are getting sick and tired of people throwing our names around saying they want a piece of us.  Nobody can handle that.  If you two over the hill, out of shape hasbeens want a piece of us… lets get it on.  Tell um Hawk!

Hawk:  Weeeellllllll, we got nothing to do right now.  If you two losers got the guts…. Let’s rumble!

Baker and Sweetan back down as they say they it would be unfair to make Ox fight back to back matches but they are looking forward to a title match very soon.  The crowd really heckles them and calls them cowards as they head back to the locker room. 

(Commercials)

Promos for shows in Calgary Regina, Medicine Hat, Winnipeg, Lethbridge and Moose Jaw)

MATCH:  Bad News Allen makes quick work of Hutch Thomas

Bad News stops by to speak with Ed Whalen while still carrying the AWA Title which he stole from Hulk Hogan.

BNA:  I told all of you last week that if Chump Hogan wanted his title back that all he would need to do was come see me in Sales Pavilion up in Edmonton last Thursday.  Well, Hogan was in Edmonton and survived by barely beating Ox Baker and then when I came out of the locker room all I saw was the back of some blonde guys head as he was running to his car.  Hogan is not a champ.  He is a coward and this belt will stay with me until I get a NO DQ, Falls Count Anywhere Title Match!

Ed Whalen:  Well there you have it… Bad News is holding to his demands and we will see what Verne Gagne and Hulk Hogan decide to meet his demand.  We will be right back!

(Commercials)

Promos for shows in Calgary Regina, Medicine Hat, Winnipeg, Lethbridge and Moose Jaw)

Match:  Greg Gagne vs Lumberjack #1

Gagne is joined by Jim Brunzell and Brad Rheingans and together the three strut out as Rheingans is basically antagonizing the fans with his Olympic Medal in their faces.  We see a much more aggressive Gage who throws a few closed fists and kicks to the gut here.  As the ref admonishes him, Brunzell and Rheingans take some liberties with Lumberjack #1.  Lumberjack tries to hold his own but eventually the numbers game is too much and Gagne slaps on the Sleeper and gets the Submission win. Gagne argues with the reg after the match as he is refusing to wake up the Lumberjack.  Just before the decision is reversed, Gagne gives a nasty slap to the back of the neck of the Lumberjack and he jolts back to life.

The three Americans strut over to Ed Whalen.

Ed Whalen:  Okay guys… I have known you all a long time and have always respected your actions in and around the ring.  After last week’s attack on the Hart brothers, I am not sure if I can say that anymore.

Greg Gagne:  What do I care if some stupid Canadian respects me.  I mean all you guys can do up here is make ice and even for that you people forgot the recipe a dozen times.  All I know is that Stu Hart was playing games with my father’s company and I had to make him pay.  I called up my brother Jim Brunzell and he came running back to All-Star when he heard we were going to go after Stu Hart. 

Jim Brunzell:  That’s right.  Every time an American comes up here, Stu pretends to have a clue and brings him over to the Dungeon where he has his snot nose kids triple team them and tries to humiliate them.  Well all I know is that when the sides of the fight are even, it is Stu’s sons on the bottom of the pile.

The crowd explodes as Stu Hart comes out.  You can tell he is fuming!

Stu Hart:  Don’t you dare come in here talking about my kids.  What you three did last week has to be paid for.  I am not going to fine you.  I am not going to suspend you.  I am going to take your right to wrestle any from you.  Greg Gagne… your father and I came up with some rules when we divided up this territory a few weeks ago.  Anyone who shows up for the TV show must wrestle in that territory that week.  This was to cut down on travel but now it is to get you out of All-Star Wrestling for good.  This Thursday  in the Corral right here in Calgary, you and Jim Brunzell are going to face Bruce and Keith Hart in a Loser Leave Town Steel Cage match where the loser will be banned from both areas of All-Star Wrestling.  Oh… and to make sure this jerk to my left…. Brad Rheingans…. Doesn’t get involved.  He will be handcuffed to ME!

The crowd explods as Whalen hypes up the card at the Corral.

(Commercials)

(Promos for shows in Calgary Regina, Medicine Hat, Winnipeg, Lethbridge and Moose Jaw) 

MAIN EVENT: 

The British Bulldogs vs Sweet Brown Sugar & Koko Ware

Just a great match that shows a lot of athleticism and technical skill.  In this back and forth context, one thing that is noticeable is that the Bulldogs are not breaking nearly as many rules as they have in past weeks.  In the end, Dynamite Kid catches Koko Ware with a powerslam and Davey Boy stops Suagar from making the save.  While the Bulldogs win this one, it is a match that the fans could watch over and over again.

Ed Whalen:  Folks, if you anywhere near Calgary Thursday … get to the Corral as it will be Bruce and Keith Hart vs The High Flyers in a Loser Leave Town Still Cage Match with Stu Hart handcuffed to Brad Rheingans.  You will also see the British Bulldog taking on the Road Warriors for the AWA Tag Team Titles.  I have been around this business for a long time but I do not think I have ever seen a person like Greg Gagne become so hated in such a short period of time and hopefully this will be the last we see of him in Stampede Wrestling.  So in the meantime and in the in-between time… that’s it another edition of Stampede Wrestling. 

Stu says his boys will be back and now is slowly getting involved. Things are getting to a boiling point. 

LOL, Ox talking smack about the Road Warriors then backs down when they come out. 

I cracked up when Brown said all he saw was a blonde hair man running to his car. Bad News makes the demands as he challenges Hogan to a anything goes match! This is one of my favorite feuds in the game. 

Gagne and his AWA boys get some heat. Stu makes the cage match announcement and will be handcuffed to Rheingans! Cant wait to see what happens. 

Fantastic main event as the Bulldogs beat Koko and Sugar to earn themselves a shot at the Road Warriors. Bulldogs might give the Roadies a run for their money. 

Well, I think you just won this little game we are playing as you've done something I didn't think anyone could ever do for me....made Greg Gagne interesting!

I can't wait for Bad News/Hogan. This has been an amazingly built feud, and the blow off should be spectacular.

Like everyone else has said, Bulldogs/Warriors should be very interesting, but very fun.

Enjoying the split, and  enjoying the shows. Great work!

Kr12e3q.jpg?1

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

May 26, 1984

A montage of all the top AWA Wrestlers of both past and present is shown.

From coast to coast, continent to continent and border to border, we welcome you to AWA Mid-American All-Star Wrestling.    I am Rod Trongard and we are coming to you today from the Minneapolis Armory.  Fans, if any of you were watching All-Star Stampede Wrestling last night, you saw some very interesting turn of events.  Somehow, Stu Hart has signed a contract for a Loser-Leave All-Star Wrestling for Greg Gagne and Jim Brunzell vs Bruce and Keith Hart for this week in Calgary.  I cannot imagine All-Star Wrestling without Greg Gagne.  Let’s bring in Vern to get his thoughts of this strange turn of events.    

Verne Gagne:  Rod... All I know is that I am not happy. A couple of weeks ago, Greg and his old tag team partner, Jim Brunzell decided to go up to Stampede to help Stu Hart out and get that promotion going again.  All I know is what I hear from Greg as Stu has not returned my phone calls.  Greg says that from the second they got there, they were mistreated.  The Harts doing some dirty business behind the scenes and Greg, Jim and Brad Rheingans had enough and stood up for themselves.  Now Stu Hart signs this Loser Leave Town match with his kids vs Greg and Jim with Brad Rheingans being handcuffed to Stu.  Not sure how this will turn out but I will say it again, this sure seems funny for a partner to do to his partner.  I have full confidence that Greg and Jim will do just fine but I cannot say I am sure their will be no funny business from the Harts.

Rod Trongard:  Wow Verne, I guess we are in wait and see mode.  One thing for sure is that we have a great show for you tonight and we will get right to the ring with Randy Savage when we return.    

COMMERCIAL

MATCH:  Randy Savage defeats Verlon Biggs with the Top Rope Elbow Drop

Rod Trongard:  Well Randy, last week you destroyed Bobby Heenan in the ring and as a result, you are guaranteed another AWA North American title shot against Bret Hart.

Randy Savage:  OH YEAH….. Soon that belt will be around my waist.  It doesn’t matter to me where but I am ready all week.  I can take that title tonight in St. Paul, tomorrow in Des Moines or this Friday in Denver.  No place to hide Bret Hart.  The title will be mine.

The crowd begins to boo as Bobby Heenan walks slowly out to the interview area in a neckbrace.  He is accompanied by AWA President, Stanley Blackburn.  As Heenan begins to speak he is watching Savage very carefully as he seems to expect another attack.

Bobby Heenan:  Ok Randy Savage… so you beat me last week.  Put me in this neckbrace…SO WHAT!  Last time I checked, I am a MANAGER!  Not a wrestler.  Big deal, you beat me.

Randy Savage with a big grin on his face replies that it is a big deal because it guarantees him a shot at the North American Title.  Savage also wants to know where that will take place this week.

Bobby Heenan is laughing at this and says that is why Stanley Blackburn is here tonight!

Stanley Blackburn:  Ok Randy…. You are right.  You have earned a title shot but it will not be this week.  Bret Hart is already scheduled to wrestle this week in St. Paul against Rick Martel and Bobby Heenan has informed me that he is enforcing the 30 Day rule which says that Bret only has to defend his title once a month.

Randy Savage is fuming as Rod Trongard is accusing Heenan and Hart of ducking Savage.

Bobby Heenan:  Ducking…. No….getting under your skin? Yes!  Oh and by the way… the next time Bret Hart defends his North American title will be on Canada Day in the Saddledome against you, Randy Savage.  That’s right… in Bret’s hometown where his father seems to be making all the rules!  Good Luck.  Oh and by the way… this is your last title shot.

Savage starts to go after Heenan but Blackburn gets in the way.

Stanley Blackburn:  One more thing Mr. Savage… Bobby Heenan is in fact just a manager and any attack on him will lead to your immediate suspension.

It is now Heenan who is mocking Savage as we head to break.

COMMERCIAL

MATCH:

Eddie Gilbert with Baby Doll defeats Marty Jannety with the Hot Shot in a nice 8 minute match.

Eddie Gilbert and Baby Doll are at the interview desk where we find out that Eddie will face the winner of next week’s match between Davey Boy Smith and Nikita Koloff for the Young Lions Tournament Championship that will be held on next week’s edition of Stampede Wrestling.

Gilbert and Baby Doll seem real confident as they seem to know they are the Hottest and Most Perfect Couple in all of wrestling.  The interesting part here was that Rick Rude and Bobby Heenan headed to the ring for the next match and Baby Doll’s eyes seemed to wander to the body of Rude.  Gilbert noticed and did not seem to be the least bit happy with his manager!

MATCH:  Rick Rude with Bobby Heenan defeats Tony Torres with the Piledriver

At the interview desk, Trongard couldn’t help but tell Rude that Baby Doll seemed to be checking him out and that Eddie Gilbert seemed to take offense to it.

Rick Rude (with a little flex):  Now can you blame her.  Even the Perfect 10 wants a turn with the Ravishing One!

COMMERCIAL

MATCH

Last week we saw the arrival of this heel group of old timers in Bobby Bass, Crazy Luke Graham and Wild Buck Robley.  While it did not go so good for Graham as he lost to Ricky Gibson, the trio really worked Ricky over after the match.  In tonight’s match, Bass is trying to beat Gibson by playing dirty but Gibson is holding his own.  In fact, when he takes control of the match, the Evil trio has seen enough and the attack comes.  For the second week in a row Gibson is under siege with a 3-1 attack.  The crowd explodes as Crusher hots the ring and is throwing haymakers as only Da Crusher can.  This week, Gibson not only gets the win but is left standing in control of the ring with the iconic Crusher at his side.

At the interview desk, Crusher takes over the show where he is talking about cracking the heads of the three clowns who were just in the ring.  When asked by Trongard why he came out to help Ricky Gibson, Crusher responded…

Crusher:  Come on Rod… that’s easy.  Those three clowns claimed to be the best old timers around… No come on… we all know that is me.  And another thing, have you takin a look at this guy with me right now.  He is so good looking that he is going to make it easy for me to get close to all the Dollies down on Halsted St. next week in Chicago.

COMMERCIAL

MAIN EVENT:

Dr. Death Steve Williams vs Ken Patera with Sheik Adnan Al Kassie

Tonight we see Williams and Patera going at in a singles showdown but Trongard reminds us that Williams and Manny Fernandez have been challenging Patera and Crusher Blackwell to be the #1 contender for the AWA World title currently held by the Road Warriors.

This match begins with a test of strength that Willima seems on the verge of winning until Patera kneed him in the gut.  Patera took this opportunity to wrestle or beat from the top.  Patera even locked in the Full Nelson but somehow Williams made it to the ropes forcing the break.  Eventually we see the tides turn and Williams hits the Oklahoma Stampede.  The problem here was that Sheik Al Kassoe called for reinforcements and Blackwell hit the ring.

This 2-1 attack did not last long as Manny Fernandez seemed to be on notice and he was real quick to hit the ring.  This two teams fought each other long enough for the crowd to get into it as it was still going hot when Trongard signed off