AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

kevinmcfl

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solid opening round matches on TV. 

Love Landel! 

Rude advances but Heenan seems to be more focused on Bad News and his upcoming match with Hogan. 

Big Jim impresses with a win over Ox. 

Neidhart advances with a hard hitting win over Sweetan. 

High Flyers continue to get massive heat and gets involved in the big LH title rematch. Would love to see Brad and Dynamite take on the High Flyers. 

Kr12e3q.jpg?2

AWA MID-AMERICA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

June 17, 1984

A montage of all the top AWA Wrestlers of both past and present is shown as the intro music is played. 

From coast to coast, continent to continent and border to border, we welcome you to AWA Mid-American All-Star Wrestling.    I am Rod Trongard and we are coming to you today from the Minneapolis Armory.  Fans, I just want to take a moment to show you how last week’s show ended. 

A video of last week’s week match between Eddie Gilbert and Curt Hennig is shown where Rick Rude comes out and gives Baby Doll a good stare down which upset Gilbert.  Gilbert went after Rude but was surprised by Nikita Koloff who came out from behind the curtain and hit Gilbert with a Russian Sickle.

When the video is over, we see Baby Doll with Eddie Gilbert at the interview desk.

Gene Okerlund:  Well Eddie… it seems like Nikita Koloff is doing his best to make sure you do not make it to the Canada Day Spectacular and the finals of the Young Lions Tournament.

Eddie Gilbert:  Every week we hear Nicolai Volkoff talking about how unbeatable Nikita is.  Well if he was so tough, he wouldn’t be hiding behind curtains trying to take me out.  On July 1,  I plan on taking out that big Russian and showing everybody that Hot Stuff Inc. is truly best the in the business.

Gene Okerlund:  Speaking of Hot Stuff … Baby Doll you seem to be getting some real attention from Rick Rude.

Baby Doll:  Not only getting some but I have been giving him some attention right back. 

Eddie Gilbert:  WHAT!

Baby Doll:  Listen Eddie… we have a business relationship and nothing else.  I was brought in her to run Hot Stuff Inc. and make sure that it is a business worthy of my time. 

All of a sudden, Rick Rude struts out and Gilbert is white hot and starts to go at Rude.

Baby Doll:  HOLD ON, EDDIE… you do not want there to be any problems between the NEWEST MEMBER OF HOT STUFF INC!

Baby Doll and Rick Rude give each other a big hug and kiss… one that seems more that a boss-worker relationship.

Eddie Gilbert:  What are you talking about?

Baby Doll:  If you have not noticed lately… Rick Rude has been wasting away in Bobby Heenan’s “Family” so I was able to make a deal with Bobby to bring Rick into Hot Stuff Inc and one thing is for sure… He is HOT enough.

Eddie Gilbert is fuming and storms off while Rick Rude simply smirks.  Baby Doll says that Eddie better get over this real quick as she has challenges Nikita Koloff and Nicolai Volkoff to a tag match TONIGHT!  

COMMERCIAL

Promos for this week’s shows in St. Paul:  Denver, Salt Lake city, Omaha, Lincoln, Des Moines

MATCH:  The Sheiks (Patera-Blackwell) with Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie crush Tony Torres & Luke Aduda

Sheik Adnan:  Hala Gene Okerlund.  Assalum Alaikum.  Insha Allah Masha Allah.  Ahlan Marhaba Wa Sahla…. Verne Gagne…  You think you have found a way to stack the deck against my men and rid All-Star Wrestling of the greatest tag team in wrestling today.  On July 1 in the Saddledome… it will be the Sheiks vs the Road Warriors vs Dr. Death and Manny Fernandez.  The winners get the tag titles and the losers leave All-Star Wrestling…. Gene look at these two men…Ken Patera with muscles popping over every inch of his body and the Mountain to his right…. Sheik Jerry Blackwell.  It is obvious to all except that stupid Verne Gagne that the tag title will be mine!

COMMERCIAL

Promos for this week’s shows in St. Paul:  Denver, Salt Lake city, Omaha, Lincoln, Des Moines

Before we head back to the ring, Dr. Death and Manny Fernandez came out to Gene Okerlund and had a real different idea as to how the AWA World Tag title match was going to go compared to what Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie said a minute ago as they were just as confident that they would come out on top.

MATCH:  Randy Savage vs Ciclon Negro

Ciclon Negro tried every dirty tactic but could not slow down Savage as Trongard hyped up his upcoming North American Title match against Bret Hart in the Saddledome.  Just as Savage climbed to the top rope for the Elbow drop… Bret Hart, along with Bobby Heenan, and his newest acquisition, Bad News Allen, rushed out to attack Savage.  While Savage did his best to defend himself, he fell victim to the numbers game. 

Rod Trongard:  Oh he we go…. It is the AWA World Champion, Hulk Hogan coming to the rescue. 

As soon as Hogan hit the ring, the heels headed for the hills to live to fight another day.

Savage and Hogan were fuming at the interview desk where Verne Gagne came out and said that he could do nothing to add another title match before the Saddledome for Hogan to get at Bad News Allen and for Savage to get at Hart but he could get them together for a tag match this week in the St. Paul Civic Center.  Savage and Hogan quickly accepted this and then went on to explain what they were going to go to Heenan’s Family.

MATCH:  Buck Robley defeated Mario Palumbo with a taped fist to the head

Robley spends a minute at the interview desk where he let’s everyone know that he and his clan of “No Class” Bobby Bass and Crazy Luke Graham do not care when, where or how…. But they want to get their hands on Ray Stevens, Da Crusher and Dick the Bruiser.

Gene Okerland does a good job of warning them to be careful about what you ask for. 

COMMERCIAL

MATCH: Rick Martel defeats Marty Jannety in a true wrestling match between two babyfaces

At the interview desk, Martel lets everyone know that he can win any type of match.  He loves to wrestle and he loves to brawl and nobody knows that better then his old tag partner Curt Hennig.  He reminds everyone that they did just that as a team but since Hennig joined Bobby Heenan’s Family he has taken every match into the gutter and come July 1… Canada Day Spectacular… Martel is going to throw Henning right where he belongs… the Gutter.

The crowd boos as Bobby Heenan comes out and he seems very calculated and says that it always seems to be Martel who throws the first punch…. As he asks the crowd to remember just a few weeks back we Martel actually punched Heenan. 

Martel just laughs

Bobby Heenan:  Don’t laugh at me you, pompous punk.  You know it is true and if you want to prove it… next week right here on TV how about you wrestle me in an Olympic Style Greco Romain Style match.  I guarantee you that you can’t beat me if you don’t cheat.  In fact, if you beat me without throwing a punch, I will give you $10,000.  In fact, I am so sure that I am going to win that if I break any of the rules, I will also give you $10,000.

Martel smiles as he accepts this challenge.  He is sure that he is going to be $10,000 richer in just a week but Gene Okerlund isn’t so sure as he knows Bobby Heenan can’t be trusted.

COMMERCIAL

MAIN EVENT:

Eddie Gilbert & Rick Rude with Baby Doll vs Nicolai Volkoff & Nikita Koloff

The match starts with a bit of a surprise as Gilbert actually holds his own against the Russian Nightmare.  Trongard is hyped up by this as he thinks Gilbert may have a chance in the Young Lion’s Championship in the Saddledome.  As the match progresses, we have a few momentum changes which seems to frustrate the Russians.  It seems like Gilbert and Rude are doing a decent job of coexisting even though there seems to be some tension.  Nikita, who is in the ring versus Gilbert, takes a cheap shot and knocks Rude off the apron down onto the floor.  Baby Doll rushes over and seems to be massaging Rude from the blow.  This not only seems to anger Gilbert but it definitely distracts him….

WHAM… Russian Sickle!  And the Russians win the bout.

Rod Trongard:  I guess that it is going to take some time for Hot Stuff Inc. to gel. So long from the Minneapolis Armory

Good promos from the Sheiks, Manny and Williams for the upcoming triple threat tag title match.

OH SNAP! The Mega Powers vs. Hart and Allen will be a mega draw in St. Paul. 

Robley is confident him and his boys will take out the tough legendary vets. 

HMMMM, Heenan defiantly has something up his sleeve. He seems way to confident. 

Rude is in Hot Stuff Inc. Gilbert doesn't like it but they seem to gel well until the end. Nikita-Russian Sickle-Game Over. Gilbert better stay focused on Nikita or he could get it even worse in the Saddledome. 

Zwho6Q4.jpg?1

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

JUNE 23, 1984

Music intro with a montage of all the stars of Stampede Wrestling past and present is shown.

Ed Whalen:  I am Ed Whalen and welcome to another edition of Stampede All-Star Wrestling coming to you from the Corral in Calgary. Before we get to all the action tonight, we must first show you a video of the highlights from this past week in the Sales Pavilion in Edmonton where the last 4 matches of the first round of the Stampede Heavyweight Championship tournament took place.

1.      Jos Leduc wins by DQ as he had Brad Rheingans locked in the Bear Hug when the High Flyers hit the ring and attacked Leduc.

2.       Sgt. Slaughter beat Ciclon Negro with the Cobra Clutch

3.      Nicolai Volkoff defeated Marty Jannety with the Backbreaker

4.      Greg Gagne defeated Davey Boy Smith with a blow from a foreign object as Jim Brunzell distracted the ref.

Ed Whalen:  I must say this tournament is shaping up to be a really an amazing event and tonight we are in for a real treat as we will be seeing the four second round matches.  Don’t forget fans, that the finals of this tournament will be one of the highlights of the Canada Day Spectacular in the Saddledome on July 1st. 

(Commercials)

Promos for shows in Edmonton, Saskatoon, Red Deer, Brandon, Lloydminster, Swift Current)

STAMPEDE HEAVYWEIGHT TOURNAMENT MATCH: 

Greg Gagne vs Jos Leduc

Gagne is accompanied to the ring by Jim Brunzell and Brad Rheingans as Leduc is waiting in the ring.  The High Flyers and the Olympian really bring down some heat on themselves which they seem to relish.  Before the match, Stu Hart comes out to a huge ovation as he mandates that Brunzell and Rheingans leave ringside. He also says that if they come back out for any reason during the match, Greg Gagne will be disqualified.  No matter how much they protest, it is to no avail as Hart means business.

With the sides evened out, the match doesn’t go well for Gagne as his shenanigans are no match for the power of Leduc who eventually catches Gagne in the bearhug for the submission win.  After the win, Brunzell and Rheingans rush out to either help Gagne or attack Leduc but we will never be sure which one as Leduc scooped up Gagne, pressed him overhead and tossed him from the ring to the floor on top of his attackers who are left in a pile of mangled bodies on the outside of the ring.

As Gagne and his cronies gather themselves and head back to the locker room Leduc is joined by Dynamite Kid and Davey Boy Smith at the interview desk where Ed Whalen congratulates Leduc on his win but then changes the focus to how last week’s show ended.

Ed Whalen:  For those of you who were not with us last week, we want to show you another disgusting act by Greg Gagne which took place during the AWA World Light Heavyweight Championship between Brad Armstrong and Dynamite Kid. 

AWA World Light Heavyweight Championship

Brad Armstrong vs Dynamite Kid

The match… it is a display of pure wrestling and skill and Ed Whalen keeps putting over the fact that these are two of the best in the world. Unfortunately, after about 8 minutes, Gagne and Brunzell hit the ring and attack Kid.  The ref calls for the bell but in a display of great sportsmanship, Brad Armstrong comes to the rescue of Dynamite and after a minute or two of a wild brawl, Armstrong and Kid are in control of the ring while the High Flyers are out on the floor and heading to the locker room with their tails between their legs.

Ed Whalen:  Well folks, you saw it… another disgusting display from the High Flyers. 

Dynamite Kid:  Thanks Ed, two things are for sure.  First the High Flyers are classless.  Week after week they come after me, Stu Hart or any other member of the Commonwealth Connection.  But notice one thing… the only time those cowards attack is when they have the numbers advantage.  The other thing that is for sure is Brad Armstrong is a stand-up guy.  He could have easily walked away when Gagne and Brunzell attacked me but his father raised him right.  Unlike Verne Gagne down there in Minnesota where if it doesn’t help a Gagne,  then forget about.  Bullet Bob Armstrong taught Brad to help out his fellow man.  To do what is right and I thank him for his help.  I also want to say that Stu Hart… who is like a second father to me, has done right in this situation as it is going to be Brad Armstrong and myself against the High Flyers in a steel cage match in the Saddledome on the Canada Day Spectacular.

Ed Whalen:  Well Dynamite, that is great news as that makes sure nobody will interfere.  Fans, that is going to be one spectacular show and if you are anywhere near Calgary on July 1st, get to the Saddledome. 

(Commercials)

Promos for shows in Edmonton, Saskatoon, Red Deer, Brandon, Lloydminster, Swift Current)

MATCH:  Buddy Landell vs Big Jim

This second round match of the Stampede Tournament is a contrast in styles.  Buddy Landell has a lot of technical skill but loves to bring the match to the gutter while Big Jim is all about the power moves.  He  is also a bit of a happy go lucky guy that seems to be smiling all the time.  Ed Whalen is really rooting for Jim as Landell has promised to leave Stampede Wrestling if he doesn’t win a title in 30 days and this Stampede Tournament is his last chance. 

As for the match, Landell is able to take control after a dirty break in the corner as he goes right for the knee of Jim.  After working on the knee, Landell whips Jim into the ropes and Big Jim accidently takes out the ref.  As Big Jim goes to check on the ref, Landell cracks a chair into Jim’s knee.  Landell locks in the Figure 4 and amps up the pressure by using the ropes for leverage.  The ref recovers and calls for the bell as Big Jim submits.  Ed Whalen is disgusted by Landell and hopes that Jim is not hurt to bad.

At the interview desk:

Buddy Landell:  Ed Whalen…. Stampede keeps lining up the opponents and I keep knocking them down.  It doesn’t matter how big they are, they are not match for the one and only Nature Boy.  In just 8 days, I will be the first Stampede Wrestling Champion. 

Ed Whalen:  The bigger they are, the harder they fall.  Hmmm, I wonder if they would fall if you didn’t use a chair. 

Buddy Landell:  Are you insinuating that the real Nature Boy would need to chair to beat a hillbilly like Big Jim. 

Ed Whalen:  I am not insinuating anything.  We have the video to prove it if you want to see it. 

Buddy Landell:  Come on now Ed… these fans are not smart enough to watch a video.  I will see you next week for my semi-finals win!

(Commercials)

MATCH:  Sweet Brown Sugar & Koko Ware wrestle defeat Verlon Biggs & Luke Aduda

This was a fast-paced fun match that seemed to settle the fans down after they were so hot and bothered by Landell in the last one. 

Jim “The Anvil” vs Nicolai Volkoff

Nothing brings the heat in the 1980’s more than a flag bearing Russian who wants to sing the Russian National Anthem before the match.  The Anvil wants no part of this and attacks as soon as Volkoff hits the first chord.  From here on out it is a brawl beyond belief.  The end sees the Anvil in control but the Russian Nightmare, Nikita Koloff hit the ring.  The crowd pops as Eddie Gilbert is in hot pursuit and pushes Koloff through the middle ropes so he doesn’t get the Anvil.  Gilbert and Koloff are brawling out on the floor as Anvil whips Volkoff into the ropes and catches him with a powerslam and gets the three count to move onto the semifinals.  Nikita and Gilbert are separated by about a dozen jobbers and when decorum prevails, the Anvil grabs the house mic and as soon as the crowd hears the first note, they all join in.

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all of us command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee

(Commercials)

Sgt. Slaughter vs Rick Rude with Baby Doll

Before we get to this match, Ed Whalen explains that he believes that Sgt. Slaughter did not come to the rescue of his tag partner, Jim Neidhart, a few moments ago because he was preparing for this match.  He went to explain that he is not so sure about Rude and Baby Doll not helping Eddie Gilbert as Hot Stuff Inc. seems to be in in disarray.

As for the match, we get a back and forth match where Whalen is surprised that Rude is holding his own against Sgt.  Eddie Gilbert, who is walking slowly to the ring due to the scuffle he just had with Koloff, goes right up to Baby Doll and plants a big kiss on Baby Doll.  Rude seems distracted.

WHAM…. Slaughter with the big Cannon Lariat.  He locks in the Cobra Clutch as Eddie Gilbert simply walks away.  Baby Doll is frantically trying to figure a way to help Rude but it is to no avail as he goes unconscious and the ref calls for the bell!

Whalen hypes up the fact that it will be Buddy Landel vs Jos Leduc and Sgt. SLughter will face his own tag partner, Jim “the Anvil” Neidhart in the semifinals of the Stampede Heavyweight Championship tournament and that those matches will be seen right here in the Corral next week.

Ed Whalen:  Well what a night it has been.  We have so many things taking shape as we are just 8 days away from the Spectacular in the Saddledome.  So, in the meantime and in the in-between time… that’s it, another edition of Stampede Wrestling. 

Ha Ha! Rude learns the hard way that you don't mess with Hot Stuff.

Armstrong and Dynamite against the High Flyers in a cage! That is gonna be an awesome match!!

Buddy Landell picks up another win over Big Jim, and seems primed to deliver on his promise. He also helpfully points out that Canadians aren't smart enough to watch a video, which was tremendous!

The Gilbert/Koloff skirmish during the Volkoff/Neidhart match sounded fantastic.

The whole tournament is shaping up nicely.

Still very much enjoying the two company split. Good stuff all around.

High Flyers continue to get massive heat but now have to face Dynamite and Armstrong in the cage! 

LOL, I have to admit, I'm rooting for Landel. I love his character here.

Anvil advances over Volkoff as Gilbert and Nikita have a wild brawl.

Sarge gets the win over a distracted Rude. Gilbert gets some payback here but better watch out for Rude during his upcoming match with Nikita. 

Next week's semi finals will be very interesting. Landel vs. a red hot Leduc and Anvil takes on his partner Slaughter! 

Armstrong/DK vs. The Heel Flyers in a cage is going to be awesome!

Nice win for Budro, his confidence continues to build...

Things are heating up between Gilbert/Rude with Baby Doll stuck in the middle...this continues to get more and more interesting.

Speaking of interesting Sarge vs. The Anvil in the title tournament certainly will be!

Kr12e3q.jpg?2

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

June 24, 1984

A montage of all the top AWA Wrestlers of both past and present is shown as the intro music is played. 

From coast to coast, continent to continent and border to border, we welcome you to AWA Mid-American All-Star Wrestling.    I am Rod Trongard and we are coming to you today from the Minneapolis Armory.  Fans, I want to take you to the last few moments of the main event this past week in the St. Paul Civic Center as it was Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage vs Bret Hart and Bad News Allen.

VIDEO TAPE:  Hulk Hogan/Randy Savage vs Bad News Allen & Bret Hart with Bobby Heenan

The tape picks up the action with all four wrestlers out on the floor and no ref to be found.  Bad News Allen has a chair in hand and clobbers Hogan across the back.  Savage and Hart are squared off but Allen comes over and hits Savage with another chair shot.  The heels roll Hogan and Savage back to the ring as the camera picks up Bobby Heenan unlocking a briefcase from his wrist and when it opens, we see Heenan hand the stolen AWA World Title to Bad News.  Bret Hart is seen getting his AWA North American Title belt from the table.

WHAM…. Allen nails Hogan with the World title and Hart nails Savage with the North American belt.

DING…DING… DING.

The ref has stumbled into the ring and called for the bell as he DQ’s Heenan’s men.

After the video, Heenan is at the interview desk with Gene Okerlund…

Gene Okerlund:  Well Bobby Heenan… I must say you have done a lot of low down, dirty things but I can’t believe you orchestrated an attack on Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage on the same night.

Bobby Heenan:  An attack?  You must have lost your brains when you lost your hair.  I am a manager and my job is to prepare my men for their matches.  Bad News Allen has a NO DQ… FALLS COUNT ANYWHERE… AWA WORLD TITLE MATCH in just 7 days in the Saddledome where clocking Chump Hogan with the World title belt will be perfectly legal.

Gene Okerlund:  Oh come on Heenan

Bad News Allen:  Watch your mouth Okerlund.  Hogan is in for a world of hurt and I bet you that after I am through with him, you will never see him again in All-Star Wrestling!

Bret Hart:  And I promise that that in my father’s first major show in Calgary in over 6 months, I will make sure I will do anything in my power to walk away with my North American Belt.

As Heenan and his men walk off, Okerlund hopes that Bobby gets a beating later tonight as he will be taking on Rick Martel in a Greco Roman Olympic Style Wrestling match. 

COMMERCIAL

Promos for this week’s shows in Chicago, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Sheboygan Rockford and Duluth

MATCH:  Rick Rude with Baby Doll defeats Tony Torres with the Piledriver

Baby Doll has her arm around Rude as they are joined by fellow Hot Stuff Inc. member, Eddie Gilbert.  As was the case when Rude was under the management of Bobby Heenan, he seems to be ignored during this interview as Trongard wants to hear from Eddie Gilbert about his upcoming Finals of the Young Lion’s Tournament Championship against Nikita Koloff.

Rick Rude seems to be fuming and interrupts.

Rick Rude:  Okay… enough of this!  I am Rick Rude and I would be the one in the finals of this tournament except for one thing.

Eddie Gilbert:  And what could that be?  You are not good enough?

Rick Rude:  No…no…little Eddie.  I am a man and I don’t need to wrestle young boys to make me look good.  You might be trying to be a Young Lion but I am trying to be a World Champ and by the look in the eyes of Baby Doll here… she knows who the only real man is in Hot Stuff Inc.

Gilbert comes after Rude but Baby Doll gets in the middle and starts screaming at her two men. 

Rod Trongard explains that this group can’t seem to get on the same page and hopes that Gilbert is more focused when he meets the Russian Nightmare in the Saddledome. 

COMMERCIAL

Promos for this week’s shows in Chicago, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Sheboygan Rockford and Duluth

Quick interview from Hogan and Savage about how they can’t wait for the Saddledome and how Hogan is going to not only beat Bad News Allen and take back the title that Allen stole from him but he is going to be in All-Star Wrestling for a long, long time and put an end to the Heenan family.

Randy Savage:  Ohhhhh yeeeeaaaahhhh! 

MATCH:  The Road Warriors with Ellering defeat Buck Robley & Luke Graham with a Doomsday Device

During the match, “No Class” Bobby Bass was at ringside trying everything he could to help Robley and Graham but it was to no avail.  He foolishly rushed into the ring after the match and was nearly decapitated for his actions.

At the interview desk, we get Animal hyping up the Three Corner title match for the AWA World Tag title in the Saddledome between The Road Warriors, Sheiks and Dr. Death and Manny Fernandez where the winners get the belts and the losers leave All-Star Wrestling.

Hawk:  Weeeellllllll… you know Rod Trongard… we will not be the ones leaving as we are going to be crackin heads and takin numbers!  The Sheiks will be in body bags on their way back to Sandland and Dr. Death may be just that… DEAD!

Out come Dr. Death and Manny Fernandez and we have 4 of the toughest guys in all of wrestling starring each other down!

WHAM….. from behind, Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie leads the Sheiks (Blackwell & Patera) out to the interview area and they attack.  With the element of surprise, they get the jump on the other two teams but soon we have a 3 way brawl that is scattering bodies all over the arena floor.

The only way this one ends is with a commercial break!

COMMERCIAL

This segment was the quiet before the storm.  Everyone in the Armory was waiting to see Rick Martel crush Bobby Heenan but that would have to wait.

MATCH:  Ox Baker defeated Brian Garrett with the Heart Punch

Say what you want about Baker, but his size and appearance make him one scary dude.  That along with his intensity and willingness to antagonize the fans puts everyone on edge.  At the interview desk, Baker was not at a lost of words and seemed to be calling out anybody who would except his challenge. 

MATCH:  Koko Ware defeated Verlon Biggs with a Top Rope Dropkick

As scary as Ox Baker was a few minutes ago, Koko was energetic.  His dancing and enthusiasm were contagious and the fans were really into this one.  Koko Ware seemed all too eager to except the challenge of Ox Baker as he claims they have unfinished business.

COMMERCIAL

MAIN MATCH

Nikita Koloff was scary good against Marty Jannety with the end coming by way of the Sickle. 

All Trongard could do was hope that Eddie Gilbert could somehow pull a rabbit out of a head and find a way to beat the Russian Nightmare in the Saddledome.

MAIN EVENT:  Greco Roman Olympic Style

Rick Martel vs Bobby Heenan

The crowd couldn’t wait for this one and it started with a good laugh as Heenan came out in a ridiculous looking singlet.  As the match started, Trongard reminds that this was strictly wrestling and if either men broke the rules, they would be DQ’ed.

As the match started, it was all Martel.  He was completely in control and hit some huge moves on Heenan.  Heenan somehow poked the ref in the eyes as he was checking to see if Heenan’s shoulders were down for the count.  As the ref was down for minute, Curt Hennig rushed to the ring and hit Martel with a few haymakers before scrambling out of the ring.  Martel did not know Curt had left the ring and when Heenan came up behind him, Martel turned and threw a big right hand.  Unfortunately, the ref saw this and called for the bell and give Heenan the win!

This turned out to be unimportant to the “Family” as Heenan’s stable (Hennig, Bret Hart and Bad News Allen) hit the ring.  They somehow manage to get Martel caught in the ropes by his neck.  It appeared like he was hanging himself.  Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage rushed the ring and chased Heenan and his goons away and then went to the aid of Martel.

Rod Trongard:  This was all of setup… We should have known that Heenan would do anything to keep Martel from getting to the Saddledome to face Curt Hennig.

As Trongard was signing off for the week, we could here Hogan frantically calling for a doctor.

Rod Trongard:  So long from the Minneapolis Armory

The Mega Powers/Allen-Hart tag match was a great set up for their Saddledome matches. All hell is going to break loose! 

LOL, love the dissention between Rude and Gilbert over Baby Doll's attention. I agree with Edger, Rude and Baby Doll just fit so well together. I have a feeling all of these distractions will be to much for Gilbert as he faces Nikita.

Road Warriors, Fernandez/Williams and the Sheiks have a wild brawl as they get ready to meet in a triple threat match.

Ox and Koko look strong as they head into their match with unfinished business. 

LOL, I could just imagine Martel throwing Heenan all around the ring. Of course this was all a set up but it looks like Martel has some friends of his own willing to help. 

The Saddledome card has been built up really well. Cant wait! 

Perfectly booked television to set up the Saddledome show!

The ending of Hogan/Savage against Allen/Hart really fires everyone up to see them clash for the singles titles!

The Rude/Baby Doll/Gilbert triangle has been so well done....looking forward to seeing where this leads.

Classic Heenan! I love it!!

kevinmcfl

CANADA DAY SPECTACULAR

JULY 1, 1984

SADDLEDOME

CALGARY

AIRED LIVE THROUGHOUT THE U.S. & CANADA

STAMPEDE HEAVYWEIGHT TOURNAMENT SEMIFINALS

Buddy Landell vs Jos Leduc

Landell struts his way to the ring as Ed Whalen reminds everyone that Landell has promised to leave All-Star Wrestling if he doesn’t win the Stampede title tonight.  Jos Leduc, the thick Canadian, comes out to a huge ovation and gets right in the face of the “Nature Boy.”

Landell does a great job of playing the frightened heel in the beginning as he hides behind the ref and exits in and out of the ring to avoid Leduc.  Luduc eventually gets Landell and shoves him into the corner.

WHAM… No clean break here as Leduc hammers away on Landell.  While Leduc is acting the heel, the crowd loves seeing Landell get what he deserves.  Landell is one of the best at playing dirty and eventually uses an eye rake to take the momentum.

The match goes back and forth for a while.  At one point, the ref tries to push Leduc back as Landell stepped between the ropes looking for a break.  As this happened, Landell reached into his trunks and loaded up his fist.

WHAM… Leduc goes down like a sack of potatoes.  No matter how much the crowd tries to tell the ref what happened, he has no luck in finding the object. 

Buddy Landell:  Now we go to school.

The Nature Boy locks in the Figure 4 on the knocked out Leduc and the ref makes the 3 count!

Ed Whalen:  I can’t believe the ref did not see Landell cheat again.  I really hope this is the last victory we see for Landell and that tonight will be the last time we see him in All-Star Wrestling.

STAMPEDE HEAVYWEIGHT TOURNAMENT SEMIFINALS

Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart vs Sgt. Slaughter

The second semi-final of the tournament pits two tag team partners facing each other.  While these two are both crowd favorites, Anvil gets the louder ovation here in Canada.  The bout starts with a handshake but since neither of these wrestlers are much for the scientific stuff, it soon erupts into a brawl.  Ed Whalen wonders if their friendship can survive this brutality.  We see bodyslams and forearms! Backbreakers and suplexes!  As Slaughter whips the Anvil into the ropes, Neidhart ducks under a Cannon Lariat by Slaughter and comes off the ropes with a big forearm smash that knocks Slaughter the ground.  Anvil picks him up, whips him into the ropes

POWERSLAM by Anvil and he gets the three count to move into the finals to face Buddy Landell.

Anvil helps Slaughter to his feet and the two partners shake hands.

WHAM…. Cannon Lariat by Slaughter.

Ed Whalen:  Oh no… I was afraid of this.  Slaughter is laying the boots to Anvil.

Slaughter really roughs up Neidhart here with blow after blow including more Cannon shots.  With Neidhart completely out of it, Slaughter locks in the Cobra Clutch and Neidhart goes unconscious.  Slaughter eventually leaves the ring and the ref is left to wake Neidhart out of his sleep.  As medics tend to the Anvil, Ed Whalen wonders if Neidhart will even be able to wrestle again tonight in the finals of the Stampede Championship.

STEEL CAGE

Dynamite Kid & Brad Armstrong vs The High Flyers

As the cage is being lowered, Ed Whalen explains that if 6 months ago, you said that these 4 wrestlers would be in a steel cage mouth everyone would have said you were crazy but with the High Flyers behavior of late, this seems like this is the logically choice.

For a steel cage match, there was a lot more technical wrestling then you would expect.  The High Flyers do bring this match to gutter with a low blow by Gagne on Kid.  From here on out, the violence picks up.  Eventually Kid, who did a great job of playing the face in peril, escapes and tags in Armstrong who goes wild.  He rams Brunzell’s face into the cage and quickly follows that up by crushing the mesh across Gagne’s forehead. Both High Flyers are busted open as Kid joins the fight.  We see Armstrong connect with a Face Forward Russian Legsweep on Brunzell as he goes face first into the mesh.  Dynamite Kid has climbed to the top of the cage…

He Leaps…. Diving Headbutt on Gagne

1…2…3.  Armstrong and Kid win the match as the High Flyers are left a bloody mess in the center of the ring

RICK MARTEL VS CURT HENIG with Bobby Heenan

Heenan has been heel #1 in All-Star Wrestling for a while now and tonight he hears the boos to prove it.  Martel, who doctors warned not to wrestle tonight, comes to the ring wearing a neck brace.

Ed Whalen reminds us of the heinous attack by Heenan’s family on Rick as they tried to make sure Martel never made it to the Saddledome.  As for the match, we are reminded that these two men can do it all.  They can wrestle, brawl, sell or bump and it is all on display tonight.  This match is an instant classic where we see Martel give it his all.  Unfortunately, it is tough enough dealing with Hennig but throw in the dirty deeds of Heenan and this becomes almost impossible.

Almost…. As sometimes Heenan outsmarts himself.

With the ref down, Heenan grabs a chair as Curt hooks Martel from behind!

Ed Whalen reminds us that if Heenan connects with the chair, it could spell the end of Martel’s career as his neck is already injured!

WHAM!

Martel escapes at the last second and Hennig is out.  Martel covers Curt just as the ref staggers to his feet.

1…2…3.  The look on Heenan’s face is priceless as Martel gets the victory as the crowd goes wild for the Canadian on Canada Day!

YOUNG LIONS TOURNAMENT FINALLY:  EDDIE GILBERT WITH BABY DOLL VS NIKITA KOLOFF

There is a very crowded ring here as Rick Rude joined Gilbert and Baby Doll and Nicolai Volkoff came out with Nikita.  Volkoff gets a little extra heat as he is waving the Russian flag around.  Eddie Gilbert has been teetering the fence of late between heel and babyface but he is definitely the crowd favorite tonight.  Ed Whalen reminds us that these wrestlers are currently 7-0 and have run the gauntlet in the 1984 Young Lion’s Tournament and that the winner of this match will receive the trophy.  He does add that Nikita is the overwhelming favorite and he has decimated each opponent he has faced.

As the match begins, we see Gilbert use his speed to negate Koloff’s power.  The problem was that Gilbert’s moves had little to no effect on Nikita as the Russian Nightmare kept coming.  Eventually, Koloff gets his hands on Gilbert and the second segment sees Koloff connect with power move after power move but he couldn’t gain the pinfall.  As it appeared that Nikita was setting up Gilbert for the Russian Sickle, Gilbert somehow managed to escape to the floor.

As he fell through the ropes, he landed at the feet of Baby Doll.  As it looked like she was going to help him, she was restrained by Rick Rude who had his arms around the Perfect 10. This enraged Gilbert who quickly had enough adrenaline to get up and shove Rude.  Ed Whalen warned Gilbert to stay focused on the task at hand but it was too late.  Gilbert and Rude were shoving each other on the outside as Whalen wondered if Gilbert was going to beat the count back in.

Baby Doll, seemingly lost control of Hot Stuff Inc., threw her hands up in the air and simply walked away from the ring.  Rude and Gilbert saw this also and stopped their nonsense.  Gilbert made it back in the ring at the count of 9 but turned to see Baby Doll disappear behind the curtain.

WHAM… Russian Sickle by Koloff and he goes for the pin.

Rick Rude tries to get up on the apron but he is caught by Volkoff who locks in the Backbreaker on Rude as the ref makes the three count.  The fans are so angry with Gilbert and Rude as they now have to watch a Russian celebrate with the trophy.  Ed Whalen admits that Baby Doll is a beautiful women but he has never seen men completely lose their focus as they do when in her company.  He wonders if we have seen the last of Hot Stuff Inc. or if Rude and Gilbert can learn to get along. 

STAMPEDE HEAYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

Buddy Landell vs Jim “the Anvil” Neidhart

We see a different Buddy Landell then we did in the first match as he knows his prey is injured.  Landell, no longer playing the frightened heel, is on the attack from the beginning but he has underestimated the heart of the Anvil.  The Anvil gives it all he has and is doing a decent job of sharing the momentum.  It all seemed to go bad for him though as he scooped up Landell and his legs gave out.  He was just to sore from the beating that Slaughter gave him earlier.  Landell now goes to school and eventually hooks in the Figure Four. 

Ed Whalen:  Well I don’t believe it.  Buddy Landell is going to be the first ever Stampede Heavyweight Champion and all of us here in All-Star Wrestling will be stuck seeing his smug face week after week.

Landell uses the ropes to amp up the pressure and the Anvil is writhing in pain.  For once the ref catches the Nature Boy and forces him to break the hold.  The ref goes to check on Anvil to see if he can continue.  Buddy takes this opportunity to reach into his trunks and pull out that foreign object that he has been using of late.  As he closes in on Neidhart and begins to clock that right hand, he is once again caught be the ref who hooks his arm and prevents him from hitting Neidhart.

WHAM… Neidhart forearms Landell right in the chops and follows that up by whipping the “Nature Boy” into the ropes.

WHAM…. Powerslam by the Anvil and he covers Landell

1…2…3.

Ed Whalen:  Jim Neidhart is the first ever Stampede Heavyweight Champion and we will just have to wait a week to see if Buddy Landell is a man of his word and if he will leave All-Star Wrestling?  God, I hope so!

AWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE TRIPLE THREAT MATCH:  LOSING TEAM LEAVES ALL-STAR WRESTLING

Road Warriors w/ Paul Ellering vs The Sheiks w/ Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie VS Manny Fernandez & Dr. Death

As could be expected with these 6 heavy-hitters in the ring, there is very little wrestling going on and we are in an all-out brawl from the opening bell.  The problem was that no matter how devasting the move was, there was still three other wrestlers to make the save.  On and on we went…  Full Nelson by Patera on Dr. Death, Flying Clothesline by Hawk on Blackwell, Oklahoma Stampede by Williams on Animal… it didn’t matter, there was always someone there to make the save.  Eventually we have chaos as all 6 are in the ring at once.  Williams hit Blackwell with spear and Blackwell went right through the middle ropes.  Dr. Death went after him while Patera was squaring off with Animal.  Many Fernandez came in and went to scoop up Hawk he quickly connected with a short-arm clothesline.  With Manny now down, Animal and Hawk were left alone on Patera.

Animal scoops up Mr. Olympia on his shoulders as Hawk climbs to the top.

WHAM… Doomsday Device on Patera.

1…2…3.

Ed Whalen:  My God… what a brawl!  The Road Warriors remain the AWA World Champs and the Sheiks must leave All-Star Wrestling!  

Sheik Adnan Al -Kassie is seen shaking his head in disbelieve as he has lost his cash cows!  Dr. Death & Manny have lived to fight another day and after this wild brawl, everyone thinks they might just be the team to take the titles!

AWA NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH:  BRET HART VS RANDY SAVAGE

Savage comes out to a hug ovation and it is obvious that he is really pumped up.  Bret Hart struts out with the AWA North American belt strapped around his waist.  Surprisingly, when Hart raises the title to show it to the crowd, he gets a huge cheer.  Ed Whalen reminds us the impact that the Hart family has had on wrestling in the Calgary area and that even though Bret has aligned himself with Heenan, there are still a lot of fans here who adore him.  In fact, it seems to be about 50-50 on who the crowd is rooting for.  Heenan seems to be carrying a briefcase which Ed Whalen has no idea of what the contents are. 

This match has been in the works for a while and lets just say, it does not disappoint.  Both Savage and Hart are two of the best in-ring technicians and that don’t mind throwing the fists so this much has a little of everything.  We get about 30 minutes of back and forth when the action spills outside.  Savage seems to have things under control as he scoops up Hennig and drops his throat first across the metal barrier separating the fans and the wrestlers.  Savage rolls back into the ring to break the 10 count and then climbs to the top rope as Ed Whalen explains that it looks like he is going for the Top Rope Elbow Drop all the way to the arena floor.

Heenan rushes over and shakes the ropes causing Savage to fall awkwardly to the fall.  Heenan starts to wave frantically to the back and Ed Whalen wonders what is going on.

All of a sudden, Ken Patera and Jerry Blackwell rush out from the back. 

Ed Whalen:  What are these two doing out here.  They are supposed to be out of All-Star Wrestling.

Patera scoops up Savage and rams him into the ring post as the ref calls for the bell.  Patera rolls Savage into the ring and Jerry Blackwell climbs to the top rope.  As Ed Whalen praises the agility of the big man, he also criticizes his actions as he leaps down across the neck of Savage.  Whalen is really concerned for the long term health of Savage as Heenan is screaming to Patera

“Break it!  Break his neck.”

Patera locks in the swinging neckbreaker and he refuses to break the hold.

Finally, the hold is releases and Heenan opens up the briefcase displaying a large amount of money which he gives to Patera and Blackwell who leave with their payoff.   Medics rush out to both Hart and Savage but Savage is much worse off as they actually put him on a backboard and carry him off.  Heenan helps Hart to the back but he seems to be okay.  Ed Whalen wonders if Bret even knows what occurred and he doubts that any member of the Hart family would condone such a disgusting act as the one orchestrated by Bobby Heean

AWA WORLD TITLE MATCH:  HULK HOGAN VS BAD NEWS ALLEN

NO DQ-FALLS COUNT ANYWHERE

Even though Bad News Allen is claiming to be the champion as he has the belt, Ed Whalen reminds us that he simply stole the belt from Hogan.  Again, Bobby Heenan comes out carrying a briefcase which Whalen wonders if it is another payoff to someone in the back to help his man become AWA World Champion.  It turns out that the briefcase simply holds the belt which he hands to Allen who thrusts it in the air.

Hulk Hogan comes out to a huge ovation and gets right in the face of Allen.  Bad News does it mind this and the two engage in a little shoving match before the bell.  Once we get officially under way, we are in an all-out war.  What is obvious to those in the know, Allen has more technically skill and has more of a repertoire which seems to be keeping Hogan off balance.  Hogan is able to stay in this match simply because of his pride and no matter what Allen throws at him, Hogan will not give up!

The match has its fair amount of action out on the arena floor and we even head over to the concession stand for a bit as the two use any object they can against their opponent.  As the action heads over to the announce table, Bad News Allen picks up the AWA World Title and clocks Hogan who is know a bloody mess. 

We are at the point in the match that we have all seen before.  No matter what Allen does to Hogan, Hulk just shrugs it off like it is a mosquito!  Hogan begins to No Sell everything and Allen is in shock.  Bobby Heenan starts to frantically jump up and down and is waving to the back!

Ed Whalin:  No…. I can’t believe my eyes.  Crusher Blackwell and Ken Patera are heading back to the ring.

WHAM!  Bret Hart from behind takes the knees out from Crusher!

WHAM!  Hart with a running bulldog on Patera and Patera’s head bounces off the entrance ramp!

WHAM!  Hogan with a big right hand to the head of Bad News Allen.  He whips him into the ropes and catches him with a Big Boot.  Hogan off the ropes… Leg Drop.

The ref covers Allen.

1… 2… 3.

Ed Whalin:  Hogan has done it!  He has survived the toughest match of his life and he owes it all to … can you believe it… Bret Hart!

Hogan and Hart embrace in the center of the ring as it seems like the Prodigal Son has returned home to Calgary.  The fans are chanting Bret…. Bret…. Over and over again.  The question is… after the beating Hogan just took, will he be able to survive a tough week of title defenses that includes none other than Ted Dibiase.

Ed Whalen:  Well what a night it has been.  We have so questions that need to be answered.  Make sure you turn in to All-Star Wrestling this week as we try to answer some of them.  That’s all from the Saddledome in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  So, in the meantime and in the in-between time… that’s it.    

Great Show!!

Landell cheats his way to victory in the opener just to make sure the crowd is fired up from the beginning!

Sarge and The Anvil have a good old fashioned hoss fight between friends which Neidhart wins, then Sarge decides they aren't friends anymore! An American Patriot in Canada as a bad guy, Perfect!

The cage match sounds awesome as those four would put on a show and save the dirty stuff for the end.

Martel/Hennig was well played, but BOO! Never did like Martel.

Nikita wins his tournament, and now I have to believe someone with championship gold is in trouble!! Gilbert and Rude are two ego's that can't co-exist. Either Baby Doll is gonna ditch them both, or they are gonna fight for her.

Oh Buddy..... You had it all, and you lost it. Neidhart overcomes the odds and wins the gold! It was good knowing you Naitch.

The Road Warriors maintain there death grip on the belts! The Sheiks are out of a job! Someone keep Patera away from McDonalds!

Oh, nevermind, Patera got paid! Heenan pays off the Sheiks, Savage is hurt bad and Bret remains champion. That's not gonna go over well with management.

Hogan and Bad News is the one we've been waiting for and has been built perfectly.

Heenan tries the same move twice and Bret ain't having that shit!! Hulkamania runs wild, Hogan retains, Bret is back on the side of good, and all is right in Canada!!

Again, great show! Lot's of stuff blown off, lot's of stuff built too. Interested to see where it all goes!

Well built show that really delivered on everything we hoped it would going in.

Great win for Landel to start things out....I really thought he was going to pull it off....but it was not to be.

What a tag team Brad Armstrong and Dynamite Kid makes......hope we get to see more of them together.

The Road Warriors seem unstoppable......is there any team in the entire AWA that can stop them???

Just when it look like the Sheiks had hit rock bottom with that loss.....they make their presence felt in the final two matches....although they failed in their 2nd attempt you can bet they've got Hogan and Bret's attention.

The Saddledome card arrives and brother it delivers!

Landel starts the night by taking Leduc to school.

Anvil beats Sarge but Sarge turns on him!!! I think Slaughter will draw mega heat as a heel in Canada.

Dynamite and Armstrong win the cage match and leave the High Flyers a bloody mess.

Martel and Hennig put on a classic. In the end Heenan's actions backfire and Martel scores the win.

Well, I think we all knew this was going to happen. Gilbert just couldn't stay focused and in the end the distractions were just to much as Nikita wins with the Sickle! Can Nikita be stopped???

WOW! Anvil beats all odds and wins the Stampede title. Landel was finally caught cheating LOL. Will Landel be gone? Looks like Anvil has a ready made challenge in Slaughter.

Road Warriors retain in a wild and hard hitting 3 way match! Sheiks are gone (maybe LOL) and Williams/Fernandez will fight another day.

Savage and Hart go at it until Blackwell and Patera come in and put a beating on Savage! Heenan may be a brain after all. Man, they put a hurting on Savage! 

The long awaited Hogan/Brown match is here! What a match! Brown tries everything but the power of Hulkamania prevails! Once again Patera and Blackwell head to ring but are stopped by Bret Hart!!!!! Hart and Hogan stand tall and leave the fans more than happy. 

Great job and really appreciate all the hard work you put into this show and it's build. 

• 2 weeks later...

kevinmcfl

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

JULY 6 1984

With so many questions left unanswered after the special event on Canada Day from the Saddledome, this show will be spent answering them.

The relationship between Verne Gagne and Stu Hart: 

While the TV audience thinks these two are at odds as the High Flyers have caused havoc in the Calgary area of late, these two have become great friends.  Verne saved Stu Hart, the patriarch of Stampede Wrestling who was on the verge of being out of the wrestling business due to his legal issues in Calgary as he was suspended from running any events in this city for 6 months due to the riot last December. The riot occurred when Bad News Allen announced to the crowd that he hoped Stomper Jr. died!

Are there changes coming to the All-Star Promotion

While the AWA brand has been thriving, there is an upstart promotion, Rocky Mountain Pro, that has been gaining some momentum in the west.  Blackjack Mulligan and Don Slatton, the former promoter out of Abilene,  are its main investors and while it started slow, it has been picking up more and more TV markets each week.   First and foremost, Verne wants the AWA to be the most powerful wrestling organization in the world and doesn’t want anything to get in his way.  Verne, Stu and Blackjack had a sit down where Verne offered Blackjack an offer he couldn’t resist.  The deal essentially will unite Stu and Blackjack in All-Star Wrestling.  Stu will work the Calgary region and control Stampede All-Star Wrestling and Mulligan and Slatton will run Rocky Mountain All-Star Wrestling.  Verne, who is giving up control of Denver in this deal, explained that it will make travel easier on his stars and allow fans in St. Paul and other major cities in the Great Lakes region to see all their favorites on a more consistent basis. 

Buddy Landell:  The Nature Boy had promised for the past 30 days that if he did not win a title within a month, he would leave All-Star Wrestling.  In the Saddledome, he lost the finals of the Stampede Heavyweight Championship to Jim “the Anvil” Neidhart.  Surprisingly to some, Landell proved to be a man of his word and has left the area.

What was with the Sheiks (Blackwell & Patera) coming out twice to help Bobby Heenan after losing their shot at the AWA World Tag titles and being forced to leave All-Star Wrestling?

We must go back awhile and remember that Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie bought Patera and Blackwell from Bobby Heenan and made him a very rich man.  In fact, it was that deal that allowed Heenan to purchase the contracts of Bret Hart, Bad News Allen, Curt Hennig and Rick Rude.  Heenan, when he made the exchange with Sheik Adnan, told Blackwell and Patera that he would love to help them out somewhere down the road as they all parted ways as friends. 

Once the Sheiks lost the loser-leave town tag match earlier in the evening, Heenan went to them and made them a very lucrative offer of $10,000 to help his stable out as he knew that both Stu Hart and Verne Gagne could do nothing to them as they were not employed by them any longer.  Blackwell and Patera gladly accepted and this is the reason they rushed out to and attacked Randy Savage preventing him from winning the AWA North American title.  They also tried later in the AWA World title match later in the evening but more on that later.

Sgt. Slaughter turns on Jim Neidhart?

Once it became known that these two tag team partners where pitted against each other in the Semi-Finals of the Stampede Heavyweight Championship tournament, it seemed obvious that one of them was likely to turn on the other.  The wrestling style of both of these men is that of a brawler and whoever lost would most likely hold a grudge so once Slaughterwent down, many in the audience warned the Anvil not to shake Sarges hand.

What was not expected was how much heat could come from this angle in just a short time!

What is Sheik Adnan Al Kassie to do as Blackwell and Patera are out of All-Star Wrestling?

Well Sheiks Anti-American nonsense changed to Anti-Canadian nonsense as he turned up in Calgary at the Corral and Stampede Wrestling.  He quickly drew the ire of the ground as he introduced his new stable….  First out comes the Japanese Assassin, Mr. Pogo.  With his face painted and his nun-chuck routine, he is one frightening guy who the Sheik promises will bring havoc to Stampede.  As Sheik Adnan then calls out the next member of the stable and one of the most hated wrestlers of all time in Calgary comes out…. Gama Singh!  The crowd is fuming now as Sheik promises to take out the entire Hart family.

What happens next, will truly be etched in the memories of the audience for ever…. The third member of my new stable is….. Sheik Sgt. Slaughter!

Slaughter comes out and is spitting mad and calling everyone from the fans to Canada to Jim Neidhart a bunch of no good maggots!

Ed Whalin knows this group is going to be causing some serious problems!

HOT STUFF INC?

Last we saw, Baby Doll had walked out of the Saddledome as she was frustrated by the lack of comradery between Rick Rude and Eddie Gilbert.  Rude and Gilbert were shoving each other during Gilbert’s finals match of the Young Lions Tournament against the Russian Nightmare.  As Baby Doll walked out, Gilbert was crushed with the Russian Sickle and lost the match.

Baby Doll had a post-match interview where she announces that she is in search of a real man as Rick Rude and Eddie Gilbert proved to be mothing more than little boys.  She says she is going to be selling their old their contracts to other territories in the AWA.  When asked what her plans were going forward she had the quickest answer…

Baby Doll:  I am the Perfect 10 and I always have a Wonderful Plan… and you will see it in just a few weeks. 

BRET HART’S ACTIONS

We start with a quick video of the end of the main event from the Canada Day Spectacular where we see Ken Patera and Crusher Blackwell try to help Bad News Allen take the AWA title from Hulk Hogan until Bret Hart made the save and kept the Sheiks from getting to the ring.

When asked why he made the save, Bret Hart explained that he had no idea that Heenan had the Sheiks help him defeat Randy Savage and retain the AWA North American title.  When he went back and saw Patera and Blackwell playing with the money that Heenan had just paid them for there interference, Hart was fuming.  He explained that it was like Heenan had no confidence that he could beat Savage on his own and that just mad him angry.  He said he quickly understood why people said Heenan was such a bad guy and when he saw Heenan try to the do the same move in the World title match, he could not just sit back and do nothing.

Bret goes on to say that he is sorry for turning his back on the fans and hopes they can forgive him.  He also promises to make sure he is a try fighting champion and that both Stampede at Mid-American fans will see plenty of the AWA North American title.

BOBBY HEENAN’S RESPONSE TO BRET HART

Bobby Heenan:  Brett Hart… You ungrateful little punk.  I took you out of the frozen tundra and made you the AWA North American Champion.  Do you think you would stand a chance of beating Randy Savage without my help… Not an Ice Cube’s Chance in Satan’s home town.  I saved you… I saved your title and how to you repay me?   You ruin the Family’s chance and Bad News Allen’s chance at winning the AWA World Title!  Well I hope you are happy with yourself. 

Now does Bret Hart think he can hurt the family… maybe put us out pf business?  Well if he thinks that, he really is a dumb as he looks.  It took one phone call and the Heenan Family has regrouped.  In fact, better then regrouped.  We went from great to unstoppable.  With my newest member of my organization, WE WILL TAKE THAT NORTH AMERICAN TITLE FROM BRET HART AND PUT HIM OUT OF WRESTLING FOR GOOD!

Gene Okerlund:  Your new family?

Bobby Heenan:  Ohhhh, did I forget to introduce you to the newest member of my stable…. Well let’s bring out the next AWA North American Champion and soon to be the next AWA World Champion…

Gene Okerlund:  Oh my…. It’s the Nature Boy

WHOOOOOOOOO!

I enjoy these shows where you bring everything up to speed and really define the "state of the union" if you will in All Star.

Sheik Sgt Slaughter may turn out to be the biggest most hated heel in the game after these despicable actions....I like the swerve as I'm sure I can't be the only one who thought it was a forgone conclusion that Anvil would be turning heel.

I love the tease of Flair making his debut, looking forward to seeing that he has to say about joining up with the Brain!

Love this format and explaining the aftermath. 

Blackjack unites with Stu and works a pretty good deal out with Verne and the AWA.

He aint the Brain for nothing LOL. He got the Sheiks to do some dirty work but now he has Bret Hart coming after him. I'm sure the fans will have no problem forgiving Bret. 

Sheik Adnan regroups! Slaughter is the ace here but I really like the addition of Gama, especially in Stampede. Talk about heel heat! 

Oh man who is Baby Doll going to recruit???

With all the regrouping and recruiting, the Brain might be getting the biggest acquisition of them all...WHOOOOO! 

Things just got real! 

Fun angle with Hart and Savage. Dynamite and Armstrong were impressive over the High Flyers and I really like that pairing. Hennig vs. Martel was a real treat for purist fans and Bobby Heenan always makes the best choice of seasoning to add flavor to any match. Can't go wrong there. Buddy Landel lucks his way into everything! The Sheiks are on their way out of the promotion, or maybe not??? and Baby Doll also appears to be on her way out... of Hot stuff Inc that is. Should be interesting to see where that leads...

Slaughter proves to be the sore loser as he shows his true colors to the Anvil, and they're not red, white and blue. Solid challenger for the Hulkster in Bad News. Fun show top to bottom.

Lots of commotion going on up and down the card with many questions.