Pro Wrestling Only

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

kevinmcfl

bPcgGLA.jpg?1

July 13, 1984

A montage of wrestling and rodeo falls set to music introduces the show.    

From peak to peak and valley to valley we welcome you Rocky Mountain Pro Wrestling.    I am Cowboy Bob Tallman and we are coming to you tonight from the Events Center in Casper, Wyoming.  With me tonight as always is the President of Rocky Mountain Wrestling, the Lawman, Don Slatton.  Well Don, tonight is an historic show here for us.

Don Slatton:  That’s right Cowboy… Rocky Mountain Wrestling is now a member of the All-Star wrestling promotion and has been invited to be an equal member in the AWA! 

Cowboy Bob:  Yee doggie… that is some major happenings here in Rocky Mountain Pro.  What does all of this really mean for our growing fan base?

Lawman Don:  To tell you the truth, things are only going to get better for our fans as a member of the AWA and All-Star Wrestling!   First, the stars you have come to love and hate here in Rocky Mountain Pro will still be here every week.  From Wahoo McDaniel to Blackjack Mulligan to Ron Bass, each show will be action packed. 

Cowboy Bob:  Well that is great as these stars have been packing the houses all throughout the mountain region.  I mean just look at this crowd in Casper tonight!

Lawman Don:  It is truly awesome, but it is going to get even better and better as we are going to be seeing a lot of the great talent to the north coming down to the states from time to time.  Such stars as the British Bulldogs will be here, the Candian Strongman, Jos Leduc and let’s not forget, that our fans will see our stars battling it out for the AWA North American title which is currently held by Bret Hart.

Cowboy Bob:  Speaking of titles and the AWA… we must take you to a video from the Omni in Georgia where it was Hulk Hogan vs Ted Dibiase for the AWA World Title.

MATCH:  AWA WORLD TITLE MATCH

TED DIBIASE DEFEATS HULK HOGAN TO BECOME THE NEW WORLD CHAMP

Cowboy Bob:  That’s right folks, Ted Dibiase is your new world champion and he will be with us right after this break.

COMMERCIAL

Promos for Monday’s show in The Frontier Days Arena in Cheyenne, Wyoming.   

As we come out of break, Cowboy Bob and Lawman Don welcome Ted Dibiase to the set and congratulate him on winning the AWA World Title

Ted Dibiase:  Well thanks… I guess.  I mean I win the title and the first thing they do is send me to Wyoming?  I mean come on, I am the champion.  Instead of getting to party with beautiful women, I get to look at cows and I don’t mean the animals that are roaming the streets here in Casper.

Lawman Don:  Come on now Mr. Dibiase.  We are grateful for you to join us on our first show in the AWA but you do not need to insult our fans.

Ted Dibiase:  Okay, I will try to ignore the smell coming from the audience and I will focus on the talented wrestlers here in Rocky Mountain Wrestling.  Wait a minute, I should have said the lack of talent.  I know the AWA has scheduled me to wrestle Monday night in Cheyenne but I hope after I win in like 3 minutes, they won’t make me come back here again.

Cowboy Bob:  I wouldn’t look past the talent here in Rocky Mountain Wrestling.  In fact, later tonight, we will have a match between two our superstars and the winner will face you on Monday.

Ted Dibiase:  Superstars… oh I bet that means it will be Cow Collector Cal and Milk Man Mike!

Lawman Don:  Okay, Mr. Dibiase, please be respectful.  The match tonight is between Rocky Mountain Champion Wahoo McDaniel and Ox Baker.

Upon hearing these names, Dibiase wipes the smirk off his face and walks away knowing he is in for a fight.

Cowboy Bob:  Well Lawman, I think that finally got Dibase’s attention.  Let’s get to the ring for our first match.

COMMERCIAL

Promos for Monday’s show in The Frontier Days Arena in Cheyenne, Wyoming

MATCH:  Mike Von Erich vs Cal Gordon

Before our next match, Blackjack Mulligan stops by the interview desk with Mike VonErich.  Blackjack explains that he is taking young Mike VonErich under his wing and will help him out anyway that he can.  He reminds everyone how difficult a year it has been for Mike and the entire VonErich family with the death of David.  He goes on to explain that he has been a long time friend to all the VonErichs and that he told Fritz he wouldn’t let anything happen to Mike.  Mike goes on in the very gracious VonErich way to thank everyone for their support. 

We get a rather technical match for about 4 minutes but after Gordon rakes the eyes of Mike, we see that VonErich temper.  The end comes with the Iron Claw as Blackjack is giving him advice on how to really cinch it in!

Cowboy Bob:  A nice debut win for Mike VonErich and who better to teach the Iron Claw than Blackjack

After the match, Sonny King leads out the Rocky Mountain Tag Team Champions, Outlaw Ron Bass and Eric Embry.  All three are good on the mic and the basic summation is that Sonny King has only been here a few weeks, but he has already lead Bass and Embry to the titles.  Bass has his bullwhip with him and is cracking it around as tobacco is spewing from his mouth as he changes the subject to the match we just say with Mike VonErich. 

Ron Bass:  Gawd Dangit…. The last thing we need in this sport is another VonErich.  I mean that’s the reason I left Texas.  I just got tired of all their whining and the biggest baby of them all…. Little Mickey shows up here.  I know our first focus is these tag titles but if I happen to see Mickey… not sure what I will do.  Mulligan you got your hands full by taking that kid under your wings.  He aint got a lick of skill or a lick of heart. He is a yella as his ol man. 

Eric Embry:  1984 has been a great year in the sport of wrestling.  We are already down two VonErichs and if my partner gets hold of Mickey… it will be three.

Lawman Don Slatton:  Why you little punk… get out of here and if I hear talk like that again, you will have to answer to me.

With a smirk and a last spit of tobacco, Sonny King’s men ahead off.

MATCH: 

The Super Samoans (Sakalia & Super Fly Tui) vs Larry Cheatem & The Hangman

These Samoans are typical Samoans in that they are tough as nails but they are also fun loving and come out dancing and the fans adore them.  The match starts slow with some headlocks and shoulder bumps but when the Hangman uses some questionable tactics, the Samoans answer by going wild.  Sakalia, the bigger of the Samoans connect with three big headbutts before following it up with a powerslam.  Sakalia tags in Tui who climbs Sakalia’s shoulders and leaps of like someone called Super Fly would!

WHAM…. It is all over and the crowd goes wild.  A dancing Sakalia and Tui head over to the interview desk where the promise to take the fight to any and all tag teams in Rocky Mountain Wrestling. 

COMMERCIAL

MATCH:  Hillbilly Jim defeats Butch Amos with the Bearhug!

Hillbilly Jim is all smiles at the interview desk but the Lawman warns him that he better be on his toes this Monday in Cheyenne as he will face Canadian Strongman, Jos Leduc in a Win By Bearhug Match.

WHAM… Leduc attacks from behind.

With the surprise attack, he has the early advantage and scoops up Hillbilly Jim and bodyslams him on the concrete.  From here he goes to work on the back and finishes him off by putting him in the bearhug and then ramming his back into the steel ring post.

Hillbilly Jim is down and Leduc is fuming at the interview desk where he vows to hurt Hillbilly Jim if he shows up on Monday night. 

Lawman Don:  Well Leduc… if you are the man you say you are, maybe you will attack from the front next time.

Leduc turns on Slatton but Slatton doesn’t back down.  One thing about Slatton, he is 6’5 and one tough hombre.  He doesn’t mind mixing it up as Cowboy Bob reminds the audience that Slatton was the King of the Texas Death Match and if Leduc wants a real fight, the Lawman will give it to him. 

COMMERCIAL

MATCH:  Ciclon Negro defeats Bucky Brewster with a Brain Buster

While Negro did a nice job of playing the heel, it was his attack on Jay Strongbow that really got the fans angry.  For some reason, Strongbow came out a little early and he crossed paths with Negro.  When Strongbow refused to get out of the way. Negro stepped aside but when Strongbow went by, he got clobbered.  Negro finished this mess with a Brainbuster on Strongbow. 

Match:  Rick McGraw (subbing for Strongbow)  vs Evan Greary

With little time to prepare for this, McGraw didn’t want to waste any time against Greary and the win came in under 3 minutes with the Diving Bodypress.  Cowboy gets word from the back that Strongbow has been checked out by the doctors and it going to be fine.  Strongbow is so mad, he has demanded and been granted a Stretcher Match against Ciclon Negro for Monday at the Frontier Days Arena

COMMERCIAL

Match:  Sweet Brown Sugar defeats Brian Von Ripper with a Missile Dropkick

In the post-match interview, we find out how excited newcomer, Sweet Brown Sugar is to be here in Rocky Mountain wrestling.  Ox Baker, who was on his way to the ring does a bit of a double take as his sees Sugar and it is obvious that these two have some history.

MAIN EVENT:

ROCKY MOUNTAIN TITLE MATCH

WINNER GETS A WORLD TITLE SHOT IN 2 DAYS

Wahoo McDaniel vs Ox Baker

The tomahawk chop vs the Heart Punch!  These are two tough dudes and if either one gets going on Monday night, they could easily become the next world champion.  Ted Dibiase comes back out on set and explains to Tallman and Slatton that a good champion always scouts his opponent even if they are inferior.

As for the match, it is more a street fight then anything else.  Baker seems to have the advantage and goes for the Heart Punch.  The fans breathed a sigh of relief as Wahoo ducked under and he came off the roped like a house afire.  Chop after chop has Baker staggering and a couple of big bodyslams gives him the win.

Just as the ref makes the three count, Dibiase hits the ring and it looks like he is going to try and keep Wahoo from making it to the Frontier Days Arena.

WHAM!  Wahoo was ready for the champ and chopped him so many times that Dibiase staggered backwards and right through the ropes.  Wahoo dared him get back in the ring but Dibiase decided to head for the hills as Tallman hyped up the big card for Monday night in Cheyenne.

Cowboy Bob Tallman:  Well folks, tonight’s wild rodeo has come to a close.  See you next time on AWA Rocky Mountain All-Star Wrestling.  So long from Casper!

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it! I have to say that when I saw announcers named Cowboy Bob and Lawman Don, I was skeptical!! But, I like it!!

Dibiase opening the show by immediately slandering everything about the promotion is perfect, and a great way to make everyone hate him.

A nice win for Mike Von Erich in the opener, and Mulligan mentoring him is a cool touch.

Bass and Embry make a great team, and that comment about losing Von Erich's is going to piss some people off!! (If Kevin and Kerry need to visit, give me a call!)

Hillbilly Jim is a perfect fit for this company, and a nice feud with Leduc will help to make the fans love him even more.

Uggh Strongbow.....

Ox and Wahoo should have been a fun little main event, and Wahoo is the perfect challenger for Dibiase. That will be a great main event for the big show in Cheyenne.

Awesome first show, digging the vibe of Rocky Mountain Pro!!

Thanks for the comment.

Cowboy Bob Tallman is a hall of fame rodeo announcer and the Lawman Don Slatton was the promoter in Abilene in Dory Funk's promotion.  They are a stretch as an announce team but not completely made up.  It was something I thought could work in the West and I did not know of many other announcers left.

I had no idea who they are, but they totally work!

You are right though, other than goofy old Boyd Pearce from Mid-South, pretty much everyone is taken at this point.

I suppose Bill Mercer from World Class, but 1) He was terrible, and 2) Realistically he probably wouldn't leave his Evening News job in Dallas!

Zwho6Q4.jpg?1

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

JULY 13, 1984

Music intro with a montage of all the stars of Stampede Wrestling past and present is shown.

Ed Whalen:  I am Ed Whalen and welcome to another edition of Stampede All-Star Wrestling coming to you from the Corral in Calgary. Before we get to all the action here tonight, we must first take you to the last few minutes of a video given to us courtesy of Georgia and Great Lakes Wrestling from this past week. 

AWA World Heavyweight Championship

Ted Dibiase defeats Hulk Hogan for the World title!

Ed Whalen:  That’s right folks, Hulk Hogan lost the AWA World Heavyweight title this week to Ted Dibiase.  This has been a tough couple week for the fan favorites here in Stampede Wrestling.  Hulk Hogan lost the title to Dibiase.   A distraught Hogan said he has let the fans down and that he needs some time to regroup.  He said he will someday return to Stampede but we do not know when.  On the other hand, Randy Savage, who took a brutal beating at the hands of Ken Patera and Crusher Blackwell, has suffered a serious neck injury and will be out of action for months!

Stu Hart comes out and is a bit depressed by Hogan’s loss but he announces that their will be a 20 Man Battle Royal this Monday in Edmonton and the winner will get a World title shot on August 4th in the Corral.

The crowd begins to boo as Bobby Heenan leads his Family (Ric Flair, Curt Hennig) to the podium.

Bobby Heenan:  Oh come on now Whalen… stop lying to these fans.  You know Hogan ran from Stampede Wrestling the day he heard Nature Boy Ric Flair was coming. 

Ric Flair:  Wooooo! You got that right Bobby.  Hogan knows that I am the best and to be the best, you got to beat the best.  The problem is he CAN’T BEAT ME!  So instead of letting all the Hulk-A-Maniacs down, he decides to run away!  Smart move big boy.  Now Ric Flair is not used to not having a title around his waist.  What do you say Bret Hart?  How about we get it on this Monday in the Sales Pavillion.

Bobby Heenan:  Ric, you know he doesn’t have the guts to face you.  Next … Ed Whalen, you said Randy Savage is out of action for a few months.  Wrong!  His career is over.  I paid Blackwell and Patera to break his neck and that is just what they did.  They snapped it like a twig!  Now on to the traitor… Bret Hart.  Just a bit of advice Bret… Run… Run far away… Follow Hulk Hogan to where ever that chump ran to.  Flair is coming for you and it is just a matter of time until he gets the North American title!

Ed Whalen:  One thing I know for sure, and I have been around Stampede Wrestling for a long time, Bret Hart does not run away from people like you!

Curt Hennig:  Everyone runs from people like us.  We got the talent, the power and the money to do what we want.  I warn the fans of Stampede to hide the women and children as we are coming to take over!

Ed Whalen:  Well I bet Rick Martel will have something to say about that as he beat you in the Saddledome!

Curt Hennig:  My ex-partner got lucky but he won’t get lucky this week in Edmonton.

Ed Whalen:  Well Bobby Heenan, it seems that your family is missing someone.  Where is Bad News Allen?

Bobby Heenan:  In fact, my contract with Bad News Allen was only a 30 day contract to help him prepare for his World title match against Hulk Hogan.

Ed Whalen:  And I guess you failed at that! 

Bobby Heenan:  Watch it birdbrain.  And don’t worry about my family.  We are in Wonderful shape!

(Commercials)

Promos for shows in Edmonton, Saskatoon, Red Deer, Brandon, Lloydminster, Swift Current)

MATCH: Dr. Death Steve Williams & Manny Fernandez defeat the Lumberjacks

At the interview desk, Dr. Death and Manny remind everyone that they were inches from the World Tag Title and that the Road Warriors didn’t beat them.  Ed Whalin agrees and let’s everyone in the Edmonton area know that this Monday. Dr. Death and the Road Warriors are going to face off.

MATCH:  Bob Sweetan defeats Ricky Gibson with the Piledriver

This battle between Sweetan and Gibson has been going on for a while and it seems to have boiled over here as Sweetan gives Gibson another piledriver.  As Ed Whalin is screaming that the piledriver should be outlawed, Sweetan lifts him up for a third piledriver. 

WHAM!  Ray Stevens hits the ring and connects with a big right hand to the skull of Sweetan and he goes down like a sack of potatoes.  Stevens quickly lifts Sweetan up!

WHAM… Piledriver on Sweetan!

(Commercials)

Promos for show in Edmonton, Saskatoon, Red Deer, Brandon, Lloydminster, Swift Current

Bad News Allen is at the interview desk and he is not too pleased that he is not the World Champion.  While he doesn’t blame Bobby Heenan, he does say that he is willing to do whatever it takes to get another World Title shot.  If that means beating Bret Hart … he is ready. If that means beating Ric Flair… he is ready for that to. 

As the interview ends, Whalen says that Bad News means business and that might be bad news for all of Stampede. 

MATCH:  Gama Singh with Sheik Adnan Al Kassie defeats Brian Wildey with the Camel Clutch 

Singh refuses to break the hold and continues to amp up the pressure on the Camel Clutch.  Poor Brian Wildey is screaming in pain as the Sheik is egging on his man.  Even when the ref threatens to reverse the decision it does nothing to stop Gama.  Ed Whalen is screaming about this is why Gama Singh was the most hated wrestler when he was in Stampede Wrestling the last time and it seems like he has picked up where he left off last time.

The crowd pops as Jim Neidhart rushes the ring and Gama exits stage left.

Neidhart is fuming about Sheiks’ new stable and he focuses his anger towards Sheik Sgt. Slaughter.  We find out that it will be Neidhart and the two newest members of the Commonwealth Connection against Skeik Adnan’s men (Slaughter, Pogo and Gamma)

Sheik Adnan and Slaughter rush out to the interview desk and it seems like it is going to erupt right now.  Sheik and Slaughter are demanding to know who they will be facing but Neidhart just smiles at Slaughter.  Slaughter comes back with a few maggot comments and this is getting hot!

As Anvil turns to go, Slaughter hits him with a Cannon Shot to the back of the head.  With Anvil laying face down on the floor, Slaughter grabs the microphone… “No maggot Canadian will ever turn their back on me.” 

Match:  Rick McCord defeats Pat Tunny with the Lou Thesz Press

Ed Whalin introduces McCord to the Stampede crowd and his energy and charisma does a nice job of getting him over here in his Canadian debut.  McCord comes out to the ring in a shinny cut-off jacket and bow tie and is dancing his way to the ring.  Once the match started, McCord was high energy and technically sound. 

(Commercials)

Promos for shows in Edmonton, Saskatoon, Red Deer, Brandon, Lloydminster, Swift Current)

Bret Hart is at the interview desk where he is serious about defending his North American title and it doesn’t matter who he faces and that he is not the least bit afraid of Ric Flair.  Ed Whalen reminds him a Flair’s challenge for this week in Edmonton.  Bret Hart excepts the challenge but Stu Hart comes out and says that he has no problem with Bret beating Ric Flair on Monday but, according to the by-laws of Stampede Wrestling, it can’t be for the North American title as Ric Flair must first move up the ladder to be the #1 contender.    

Match:  Nikita Koloff vs Rick McGraw

While McGraw has a lot of power, he is no match for Nikita.  The Russian Nightmare completely dominated McGraw with the end coming from the Sickle! 

Nikita and Nicolai come over to the interview desk where they are full of insults for the Canadian people.  Nikita also basically guarantees he will win the Battle Royal in Edmonton and then take the World title from Dibiase on August 4th.  

Ed Whalen:  What a great night of wrestling it has been and remember if you are anywhere near Edmonton and the Sales Pavilion this week, get a ticket as it we be a wild night.  So, in the meantime and in the in-between time… that’s it, another edition of Stampede Wrestling. 

Hogan's gone, Savage is out, Bobby Heenan has got to be the happiest man in Canada!

Flair wastes no time calling for Hart and the belt. Meanwhile Hennig is still stuck with Martel.

Oh Shit, Doc and the Bull get The Road Warriors straight up! That will be a war!

Sweetan bullies Ricky Gibson, but Ray Stevens comes out to get him some! Sweetan and The Crippler should be a hell of a fight!

Bad News is gonna fight everyone! I like it!

Slaughter is just endearing himself to everyone these days. Neidhart better have some good back up!

Bret's Daddy saves the title. Naitch ain't gonna like it...

Nikita tears the head off another one, and I don't doubt that he is going to be a force in that battle royal.

Great show, and I am looking forward to Edmonton and seeing who gets the shot!

Rocky Mountain Wrestling kicks off with a bang as new AWA Champ Ted Dibiase immediately gets heel heat.

Blackjack's wisdom will do nothing but help young Mike Von Erich.

Solid debut for the Super Samoans. This team will bring a lot of energy.

Hillbilly Jim could be a huge star in this territory.

Ciclone does a number on Strongbow and might end up sending him home on a stretcher.

Sugar and Ox another round...YES!

Wahoo gets the title shot! Wahoo and Dibiase will be a classic! 

On to Stampede,

Oh man, Flair and Hennig with Heenan! Watch out AWA! 

Williams and Fernandez make sure everybody knows they're still contenders.

Sweetan and Stevens will be a brawl! 

Gama starts off in Stampede right where he left off with massive heel heat. 

Slaughter puts Anvil down but Anvil has some partners ready to go for that big 6 man match.

Fun debut for Ric McCord. 

Nikita dominates and vows to win the big battle royal. 

I hope Dibiase is ready for the variety of challengers all across the AWA. 

Wow...Hogan walks away....Savage is out with an injury...and what a perfect time for Naitch to strut right in the door and grab all the limelight!

Heenan is the hottest manager in the game right now as he's scored big with Hennig (while still young here but a huge star in the making) and the debut of Flair

If Nikita wins the this battle royal Dibiase's title reign is in trouble already

Fernandez/Dr. Death may represent the most serious challenge to the Warriors in the entire AWA

bPcgGLA.jpg?1

JULY 14,1984

FRONTIER DAYS ARENA

CHEYENNE, WY

Mike VonErich defeated Bobby Prisco with the Iron Claw

The Mountain Men (Link & Rex) defeated Cal Stanley & Luke Aduda with a Double Splash on Aduda.

Sweet Brown Sugar defeated Bob Sweetan with a Missile Dropkick

Stretcher Match:  Chief Jay Strongbow defeats Ciclon Negro after the Chief Tomahawk chopped Negro so hard he fell through the ropes hitting his head on the steel barrier.

Must Win By Bear Hug Match:  Hillbilly Jim defeated Jos Leduc after a long drawn out bout that saw multiple Bear Hugs by each man.

Rocky Mountain Tag Title Match:  (Special Referee Blackjack Mulligan) Ron Bass and Eric Embry defeated the Samoans (Super Sakalia & Superfly Tui) as Tui climbed to the top rope to hit a Flying Death Leap on Embry but Bass rushed the ring which distracted the Mulligan.  Sonny King took this opportunity to push Tui off the top rope.  Bass dragged Embry over and made the tag and then hit a Gordbuster on Tui for the win.  Mulligan was obviously upset as he knew that he’d been had.

AWA World Title Match:  Ted Dibiase defeated Wahoo McDaniel with the Figure Four using the ropes for extra leverage.  This match went nearly 45 minutes with each man leaving battered and bruised.  Dibiase learned a lot about Rocky Mountain Wrestling tonight and he also learned that he better be on his toes each night as the other wrestlers are coming with their best stuff as they want that title.

The Mountain Men make for a great tag team for this area!

Sweet Brown Sugar is underrated, I hope to get to see him in the title picture here at some point.

Hillbilly Jim vs. Jos Leduc in a "Must Win by Bear Hug" Match may be the most Verne Gagne thing ever posted here...great job!

Ron Bass and Eric Embry is a very fun pairing....I'm looking forward to seeing them have a good run with the tag belts here.

Dibiase vs. Wahoo is a great World Title match to be one of his first...Dibiase is going to earn that belt with the competition he has lined up in the coming weeks

I like the Rocky Mountain/Stampede split, and as good as Stampede is talent wise, I can’t help but love the Rocky Mountain feel personally. It feels like Stampede is about at the cutting edge of wrestling at this point, we’re as Rocky Mountain is more of a fun old school feel to it, and I’m super digging it.

Also the Bear Hug match is such a hilarious concept to me. I would not enjoy the match, but I love that it exists in the project so much.

And Ted gets his first defense in, doing anything and everything he can to not be “The guy who lost in his first defense” If Wahoo is just the start of his reign, he is gonna be feeling this schedule something awful soon.

Great idea for the Mountain Men.

Sugar defeats Sweetan. Will this end the rivalry?

Oh man, Ciclon took a massive bump as Strongbow wins the match.

LOL, a bear hug match. Love the long drawn out description. 

Bass and Embry win a tough one over the Samoans. I think Mulligan will order a rematch. 

Dibiase retains in a classic over Wahoo. Good showcase here for Rocky Mountain Wrestling. 

bPcgGLA.jpg?1

A montage of wrestling and rodeo falls set to music introduces the show.    

Broadcasting to our local affiliates in New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana and the Dakaotas.   The American Wrestling Association proudly presents Rocky Mountain Championship Wrestling, an All-Star Wrestling Promotion. Coming to you this week from the Colorado State Fairgrounds in Pueblo, Colorado.  

July 20

From peak to peak and valley to valley we welcome you Rocky Mountain Pro Wrestling.    I am Cowboy Bob Tallman and we are coming to you tonight from the Colorado State fairgrounds in Pueblo, Colorado.   With me tonight is the President of Rocky Mountain Wrestling, the Lawman, Don Slatton.  Don let’s get right to the video tape from the Frontier Days Arena in Cheyenne, Wyoming for the AWA World Title Match between Ted Dibiase and Wahoo McDaniel

VIDEO MATCH:

We see the last 4-5 minutes of Ted Dibiase defeating Wahoo McDaniel

Cowboy Bob:  Well Don, we just saw that Wahoo come within an eyelash of being the World Champion but Ted Dibiase survived.

Don Slatton:  That’s right Cowboy… I bet Dibiase won’t take Rocky Mountain Wrestling so lightly next time he is in the region.   Its too bad Wahoo isn’t here but we hope to hear from him later. 

Cowboy Bob:  Oh brother… I should have known we would have been interrupted by you…. Ernie Ladd. 

Ernie Ladd:  First of all, I can interrupt anytime I want.  I am the Big Cat around here.  Second, you know that Injun aint showing up today.  Wahoo McDaniel … he is the biggest farce of a champion in all of wrestling.  He ain’t nothing but a stooge.  He keeps praising himself and adding another feather in his stupid Injun headdress when he beats people like Rick McGraw or Ciclon Negro.  Now we all know these two are nothin but wannabees trying to gain some fortune but they stink.  Now, everyone knew the Big Cat was coming today and that injun went and hid in some honky tonk and got drunk on Snake juice with the rest of them no good stinkin Injun drunks.  I came here for one thing and that is the Rocky Mountain title and when that gutless Injun decides to come back, he better just hand me the title! 

The crowd bursts as Jay Strongbow comes running out in full Indian gear and gets right in the face of Ladd as he takes offense to the way Ernie is talking about Indians.  Ladd just laughs and says that Strongbow must be drinking that same snake juice and he got some drunk brain right now if he thinks he can just walk up and get in the face of the Big Cat.

Before this situation completely erupts, the Lawman steps in and says that the two can settle this in the ring later in the show.  Ladd just simply smirks and slams his hands together.  No frightened heel act here.  Ladd means business.  As we head to break, Cowboy Bob explains that Chief Jay may be brave, but he might have bitten off more than he can chew. 

COMMERCIAL

Promos for Monday’s show in The Albuquerque Civic Auditorium

MATCH:  The Mountain Men (Link & Rex) destroy Buck Homestead & Cal Gordon

In a quick post-match interview, the Mountain Men are all riled up about how come the Samoans (Sakalia and Tui) are getting title shots while the Mountain Men are spending their time beating up no names like Homestead and Gordon.  The Lawman tries to calm the situation by explaining that if they keep winning matches he is sure that they will get a title match.  The Mountain Men don’t accept this answer and want the Samoans in the ring! 

MATCH:  Sweet Brown Sugar defeats Steve Downing with the Missile Dropkick

As soon as the match ends, we see Ciclon Negro hit the ring like a house afire and is brawling with Sugar all over the floor.  Eventually the officials and jobbers rush the ring and separate the two.  The Lawman grabs Sugar for a quick interview to see if he knows what that was all about and Sugar has no idea but that he won’t stand for it and wants Negro in the ring this week in Albuquerque to settle the score.  As the President of Rocky Mountain Wrestling, the Lawman guarantees that he can make that happen.

COMMERCIAL

MATCH:  Superfly Tui defeats Benny Adams with a Top Rope Death Leap

Tui is joined by Sakalia at the interview desk and they quickly let the Mountain Men know that anytime they want a match, they are ready.

MATCH:  Mike VonErich defeats Ricky Davis with the Iron Claw

VonErich came out alone tonight and explained that he asked the Blackjack Mulligan stay in the back as this was something he needed to do for himself.  He begins to discuss last week’s comments by Eric Embry and Ron Bass about his brother David and his father Fritz. 

Cowboy Bob says that he doesn’t really want to show the video from last week but feels that he owes it to the fans who might have missed it.

VIDEO:  Ron Bass:  Gawd Dangit…. The last thing we need in this sport is another VonErich.  I mean that’s the reason I left Texas.  I just got tired of all their whining and the biggest baby of them all…. Little Mickey shows up here.  I know our first focus is these tag titles but if I happen to see Mickey… not sure what I will do.  Mulligan you got your hands full by taking that kid under your wings.  He aint got a lick of skill or a lick of heart. He is a yella as his ol man. 

Eric Embry:  1984 has been a great year in the sport of wrestling.  We are already down two VonErichs and if my partner gets hold of Mickey… it will be three.

Mike VonErich is fuming about who low could people be to insult his poor brother David who passed away this year and now it is his job to hold up the VonErich name.  The Lawman, Don Slatton says that those were some of the most disgusting comments he has ever heard, and he will do whatever Mike feels is needed.

Mike demands that Bass and Embry come out and they oblige.  With obnoxious smirks on their faces and spewing tobacco they come out to the interview desk.  Bass has his bullwhip and hand and they both have the Rocky Mountain Tag titles around their wastes.

Ron Bass:  Ohhhhhh…. Poor Mickey got his feelings hurt.

Eric Embry:  And soon the rest of him is going to get hurt and I am going to enjoy taking another VonErich out of wrestling.

Mike VonErich:  Well, I was thinking more about how tough you two will be acting after my teammate and I take those belts off you.

Eric Embry:  First of all, you and Mulligan have not earned a title shot and we aren’t given that 6’9 giant any title match. 

Mike VonErich:  While Blackjack has taken me under his wing and I appreciate all his help, the amount of people who have called me this week from Texas who want a shot at you is unbelievable.  You two have no place to hide!

Eric Embry:  Ohhh, I am shaking in my boots.  I tell you what… you beat me in Albuquerque this week, and we will give you a tag title match with any partner not named Mulligan!

Mike VonErich:  Deal!

Eric Embry:  Not yet… here is the deal… when I beat you… Ron Bass gives you 10 lashes with the Bull Rope!

COMMERCIAL

MAIN EVENT:  Ernie Ladd vs Chief Jay Strongbow

While Strongbow is game and gets a view big chops in as he went on an early War Dance, Ladd is too big and begins to pound away on Strongbow.  The end came with a Big Boot as Ladd got the win.  The problem was that Ladd then stuck his thumb into the throat of Strongbow and was choking him.  This went on far too long and their way little the ref could do.  Strongbow was in real trouble.

All of a sudden, the crowd exploded as Wahoo McDaniel has finally arrived and he is all over Ladd.  The two are going toe to toe in the center of the ring.  Chops by Wahoo followed by Big Rights by Ladd.  As this brawl is raging, we suddenly run out of time.

Cowboy Bob Tallman:  Well folks, tonight’s wild rodeo has come to a close.  See you next time on AWA Rocky Mountain All-Star Wrestling.  So long from Pueblo!

Oh My! Ernie Ladd shows up and does two things. Gives Rocky Mountain a #1 singles heel, and immediately pisses off everyone! Great Promo!

Nice squash to get the Mountain Men over.

Sugar and Ciclon will be a nice little fight when they meet one on one.

Mike Von Erich picks up a nice singles win, and then calls out Bass and Embry. I am excited to see who he has picked as a partner!

Big Cat picks apart the Italian...I mean Indian in the main event, but here comes Wahoo!! Wahoo and Ladd is gonna be a nasty fight!!

Great show, I am loving this promotion!

IVL0ezX.gif

JULY 21, 1984

Music intro with a montage of all the stars of Stampede Wrestling past and present is shown.

Ed Whalen:  I am Ed Whalen and welcome to another edition of Stampede All-Star Wrestling coming to you from the CHCT Studies in downtown Calgary. We have a ring a ding dong dandy of a show for you today as we are going to be seeing many of the highlights from the major show this past Monday in the Sales Pavilion in Edmonton.  First, we must start with some highlights from the 20 Man Battle Royal where the inner gets an AWA World Title shot on August 4th against Ted Dibiase right here in the Corral. 

VIDEO:  20 MAN BATTLE ROYAL  

Let’s just get to the last three who were left… Nicolai Volkov, Bad News Allen and Nikita Koloff.  These could be the 3 most hated men in Calgary right now and to the shock of some who remember the riot of 83, the crowd seems to be behind Bad News.  As the Russians double-team him, it doesn’t look good for the lone wolf.

WHAM… Enzuigiri Kick by Bad News on Volkoff and he tumbles over the top rope!

Nicolai who is still by the ring takes a swipe at the leg of Allen and Bad News turns to him.

WHAM… Russian Sickle on Allen and he tumbles to the floor.

WINNER:  Nikita Koloff

73U4eL0.jpg?1

After the video is over we see an irate Bad News Allen who is fuming about the interference of one Nicolai Volkoff and he is guaranteeing revenge this Monday right here in the Corral.  The fans are put in a bad spot as they are left to choose between the hated Russian or the man that nearly ended professional wrestling here in Calgary.  Not that he was trying to win them over, but Bad News made a good point when he said he doesn’t care what others think and that he does what is right for Bad News and right not hurting a Russian seems like it is the right thing to do.

w4EzSz8.jpg?1

IN-STUDIO MATCH: Ray Stevens defeats Tom Millison with the Brainbuster

With a quick interview, Stevens is angry over the actions of all the heels here in Stampede and basically declares war on everyone.

(Commercials)

Promos for Monday’s show in Calgary

Ed Whalen:  The conflict between Bad News Allen and the Russians was not the only shocking event to come out of the Sales Pavillion.  I warn you that what you are about to see is somewhat disturbing.

VIDEO MATCH:  Rick Martel vs Curt Hennig

Rick Martel defeated Curt Hennig for the second straight time.  This time Bobby Heenan had tossed and object to Hennig while the ref was down but it was caught by Martel who clobbered Hennig for the win.  Heenan, obviously frustrated starts frantically signaling to the back.  As Rick Martel is celebrating his victory, the crowd gasps as it is none other than…. Paul Orndorff…. Orndorff rushes to the ring and attacks while Martel’s back is turned.  Orndorff really gives it to Martel and with the help of Hennig we see this attack end in a nasty Spike Piledriver on a Steel Chair.  The British Bulldogs rush the ring for the save but it is far too late.

When the video ends, an emotional Ed Whalen announces that Martel suffered severe neck injuries and will be out of action for quite some time.  He reminds us that in recent weeks, Bobby Heenan and his Family has taken out Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage and Rick Martel.

Dynamite Kid, Davey Boy Smith and Bret Hart come out and basically declare war on The Family.

IN STUDIO MATCH: The Road Warriors with Ellering crush Cal Mansun & Hutch Thomas

It is rare to see the AWA Champs wrestle on TV but they got right down to business and pummeled the two jobbers for about 2 minutes with power move after power move.  Animal & Hawk seemed like they meant business here and wanted to remind the fans just how devastating they are.  It is at the interview desk that we understand why they are so angry.  It seems like their title match last week against Dr. Death & Manny Fernandez ended in a draw.

Ed Whalen:  Well, people around the wrestling world are wondering if you were lucky to escape with your titles.

Animal:  Shut up Whalen!  The Road Warriors are never lucky.  Dr. Death & Manny Fernandez know they were in the fight of their life and I guarantee the next time, they will be spending time in a hospital.  Tell um Hawk.

Hawk:  Weeelllllll!  Last week in Edmonton we cracked the skulls of Williams & Fernandez and I guess this time we will have to break their heads.  That’s fine as Animal and I love breaking things… especially, the heads of our opponents.

Ed Whalen cautiously lets the fans know that the Road Warriors will again be facing Williams and Fernandez tomorrow night in Calgary.

phJY5cV.jpg?1

(Commercials)

Ed Whalen:  The action in Edmonton continued to shock us all last Monday night.  Take a look at this. 

VIDEO MATCH: 

Jim Neidart & 2 Mystery Partners vs Sheik Slaughter, Mr. Pogo & Gama Singh 

Neidhart’s newest members of the Commonwealth turned out to be the Sheepherders which shocked the crowd but when they say the Luke and Butch came out waving the Commonwealth flag and they fought like wild dogs against the Sheiks, the crowd quickly forgot about what they didn’t like about the Sheepherders and remembered that these two will leave nothing in the tank and battle to the end.  The match ended in a Double DQ as the two teams brawled all over the arena.

After the video, Neidhart and the Sheepherders are at the interview desk where Whalen expressed his surprise at Neidhart’s choice of teammates.

Jim Neidhart:  When Slaughter joined Sheik Adnan Al Kassie all bets were off and I knew I needed partners who would fight to the bitter end.

Luke Williams and Butch Miller basically yelled, screamed and shook through the entire interview about how the Sheiks disgust them and they will do anything to put an end to their time here in Stampede.

IN-STUDIO MATCH:  Rick McGraw defeats Verlon Biggs with a Powerslam

(Commercials)

IN-STUDIO MATCH: The British Bulldogs defeat Bob Sweetan & Ox Baker by DQ as Sweetan brought a chair into the ring.

After the match, Stu Hart is at the interview desk hyping up the show in Calgary when all of a sudden, Bobby Heenan and “The Family” (Ric Flair, Curt Hennig & Paul Orndorff) interrupt.

Bobby Heenan:  Well Stu Hart… it must be hard to be you.  I mean running a wrestling promotion where your son holds a championship that you know he doesn’t deserve.  I mean, even all you humanoids who were in Edmonton last week saw how easily the Nature Boy beat Bret Hart.  

Ric Flair:  Whoooo.  They say to be the best, you got to beat the best.  Well in one week I beat your son and now you can’t help but give me that North American Title shot!

Stu Hart:  As I told you two last week… Ric Flair will get a title shot if …. And I mean if… he deserves one.  One lucky win doesn’t get you a title shot.

Ric Flair:  Hey… Ric Flair doesn’t need luck.  I am the Rolex Waering, First Class Flying king of this sport.  I beat Bret and now you say I need to earn a shot.

Stu Hart:  That’s right.  Earn it and you will get it.

This angers Flair and he gets in the face of Hart and shoves him.

WHAM… from out of nowhere comes Bret Hart and the Bulldogs attack and the brawl is on.  This time, the emotions of seeing his father get pushed helps Bret get over the top and as we head to break, we see Flair on the floor.  The screen will fade to black as we see The Family vs Stu Hart’s Dungeon in a chaotic fight all over the studio. 

Ed Whalen:  Sorry fans but we are out of time.  So, in the meantime and in the in-between time… that’s it, another edition of Stampede Wrestling. 

I really love the dynamic in the “Bret Hart getting preferable treatment from Stu” setup. As dirty and grotesque the actions of the Heenan Family, if you beat the champ, you should be in line for a title shot. I’d even be on Team Heenan if not for them mercilessly taking out wrestlers left and right. 

Speaking of, poor Martel. The top babyfaces keep dropping like flies in Calgary thanks to the Family.

I also really enjoyed the almost heelishness of the Warriors leading to the Fernandez and Dr. Death matches. The wars those would be man.

And DiBiase might have the hardest challenge yet with Nikita staring him in the face. But the Russians pissed off probably the worst possible man they could in Allen. No sane man would want be on Bad News’s bad side.

Really enjoyable TV there

Props to you for running 2 territories. Amazing work.

Love the Wahoo/Big Cat feud. Ladd's promo was priceless.

Looking forward to the Ciclon/Sugar feud. I'm a sucker for lower/mid card feuds.

Mountain Men mean business.

Embry better watch his mouth. He's got an angry Von Erich after him along with Mulligan! 

Oh snap! Bad News going toe to toe with Nikita! AWESOME! 

WOW! Orndorff shows up and destroys Martel! Big shocker moment! Orndorff will be huge here.

Nice TV match with the Road Warriors.

The surprises continue as Neidhart brings in the Sheepherders! Wild brawl ensues. This feud will be all sorts of crazy.

Flair crosses the line and Bret puts him down. Cant wait for the Flair/Hart match! 

bPcgGLA.jpg?1

JULY 23,1984

ALBUQUERQUE CIVIC AUDITORIUM

Chief Jay Strongbow vs Ox Baker

Ernie Ladd vs Luke Aduda 

The Mountain Men (Link & Rex) vs The Samoans (Sakalia & Tui)

Sweet Brown Sugar vs Ciclon Negro

Ron Bass vs Hillbilly Jim

Blackjack Mulligan vs Jos Leduc

Mike VonErich vs Eric Embry:  If Embry wins, VonErich gets 10 lashes with a Bull Rope.  If VonErich wins, he and a partner of his choice get a Rocky Mountain Tag Title Match

AWA Rocky Mountain Title Match:  Wahoo McDaniel vs Bob Sweetan

IVL0ezX.gif

July 23, 1984

The Corral  

Calgary, Alberta

MX-1 vs The Lumberjack

Ric McCord vs Gama Singh with Sheik Adnan Al Kassie

Handicap Match:  Nikita Koloff vs Rick McGraw & Ted Allen

The Sheepherders vs Ciclon Negro & Ox Baker

Bad News Allen vs Nicolai Volkoff

STAMPEDE Title Match:  Jim Neidhard vs Sgt. Slaughter with Sheik Adnan Al Kassie

AWA World Tag Match:  The Road Warriors vs “Dr.Death” Williams & Manny Fernandez

Ric Flair, Paul Orndorff & Curt Hennig with Bobby Heenan vs Bret Hart & The Britisih Bulldogs

**** THE ONLY WAY TO GET THE RESULTS IS TO BUY A TICKET*****