Pro Wrestling Only

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

kevinmcfl

Nice win for Nikita in the battle royal especially taking out Bad News at the end.

Great choice for the Anvil's partners....bringing wild cards like The Sheepherders on board illustrates just how out of control things have gotten with Slaughter and company.

Solid card coming up for the Corral....especially those last four matches!

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bPcgGLA.jpg?1

JULY 28th

A montage of wrestling and rodeo falls set to music introduces the show.   

From peak to peak and valley to valley we welcome you Rocky Mountain Pro Wrestling.    I am Cowboy Bob Tallman and we are coming to you tonight from the Colorado State fairgrounds in Pueblo, Colorado.   With me tonight is the President of Rocky Mountain Wrestling, the Lawman, Don Slatton.  Don, what a show they had down in Albuquerque last Monday. 

Lawman:  That’s right Cowboy and before we get to the ring tonight, we must take a look at the video tape. 

VIDEO MATCH:

Mike VonErich vs Eric Embry: 

If Embry wins, VonErich gets 10 lashes with a Bull Rope.

If VonErich wins, he and a partner of his choice get a Rocky Mountain Tag Title Match

We pick the match up where Eric Embry seems to be having his way with Mike VonErich.  He is basically tossing the young Von Erich from pillar to post and we are seeing and hearing Ron Bass warming up that bull-rope!  It gets to the point where Embry is just toying with his opponent.

The crowd begins to stir as a man in a long coat and big cowboy hat over his eyes is heading to the ring.  He comes right up behind Bass and drops the coat and hat.

It is none other than Gentleman Chris Adams!

Wham… Superkick to the head of Bass and he is down.

Embry sees this and the look of shock on his face is priceless.  He can’t believe Adams is here.

Mike Von Erich from behind…. Rolls up Embry… 1….2….3.

When the video is over, we see Blackjack Mulligan, Mike VonErich and Chris Adams at the interview desk.

Mulligan:  Oh what a night it was in Albuquerque.  Two weeks ago we heard that snot-nosed punk, Eric Embry, say disgusting things about David VonErich and Fritz.  All it took was one phone call and Chris was on his way.

Chris Adams:  That’s right Blackjack.  The VonErichs gave me almost everything I have in this business.  Kevin brought me over here from Britain and ever sense then they have had my back.  Well now it was my chance to return the favor.  Knocking Ron Bass out was a great feeling but seeing Embry’s shoulders pinned to the mat was even better.

Mike VonErich:  That pin of Embry was only the beginning.  This week Blackjack, Chris and myself are going to take out Bass, Embry and that so-called manager of their Sonny King in Denver in a Steel Cage Match and then in two weeks it will be Chris and myself taking those Rocky Mountain tag belts off them outlaws in the Salt Palace in Utah!

Cowboy Bob: Let’s get to the ring for our first match.

MATCH:  Sweet Brown Sugar defeats Lee Mathews with the Missile Dropkick

As soon as the match ends, we see Jos Leduc hit the ring like a house afire and is brawling with Sugar all over the floor.  Eventually the officials and jobbers rush the ring and separate the two.  This is the second week in a row that Sugar was attacked.  Last week was by Ciclon Negro and this week was by Leduc.  The Lawman grabs Sugar for a quick interview to see if he knows what that was all about and Sugar has no idea but something is going on as he is getting attacked by people he had no real previous problems with.  This week Sugar asks the Lawman for a match with Leduc and again his wish is granted as it will be Sweet Brown Sugar vs Jos Leduc in the Denver Auditorium.

COMMERCIAL

Promos for Monday’s show in The Denver Auditorium  

MATCH:  The Samoans (Sakalia & Tui) beat Buck Homestead & Cal Gordon

Sakalia and Tui have the fans excited with Sakalia’s power and Tui’s high flying arsenal.  The end comes when Sakalia hits a powerslam on Gordon and then tags in Tui for the the Top Rope Death Leap.

At the post-match interview, we find out that nothing was settled last week in Cheyenne between the Samoans and the Mountain Men (Rex & Link) and that the two will meet in a 5 match series over the  next few weeks with the winner getting a tag title shot against whoever the champions may be at that time.  Another stipulation to this series is that the winner of each match gets to name the stipulations for the next match.  The first round will take place this week in Denver.

MATCH:  Grizzly Boon vs Dean Hos

This match ends in under a minute as the 440 pound Boone just crushes Hos.  The end came with a Middle Rope Giant Splash and the ref could have counted to a 100.  Cowboy Bob is not sure what to make of Boone as he seems to be all business but pays no attention to the fans or the interview desk.  He just picks up the big club he carried to the ring and heads to the locker room.

Cowboy Bob:  Wow, Boone is a Mountain of a Man and I hope he is on the side of good or Rocky Mountain Pro Wrestling might never be the same.

COMMERCIAL

When we come out of break, Bass and Embry along with their manager, Sonny King, are at the interview desk.

Sonny King:  First of all, Slatton, I have a bone to pick with you.  You might think you are the Lawman but how dare you put me in a match this week in Denver against Mulligan, Adams and that spoiled brat, Mike Von Useless.

Lawman Don:  First of all, you don’t call the shots around here.  You want to call yourself a manager, Stop interfering in matches and manage your two bandits behind me.  When you interfere, I see you as a wrestler and wrestler’s wrestle!  Good luck in Denver!

Ron Bass:  Luck… we don’t need luck.  We are the Rocky Mountain Tag Champions.

Cowboy Bob Tallman:  And Blackjack Mulligan is 6’9 and he is as mad as rattlesnake sunning himself on a cactus.  He saw that you two were toying with Mike VonErich and inflicting unnecessary punishment on the youngster. 

Eric Embry:  Well at least we did it in the ring.  What was that sneak attack by Chris Adams.  The only thing worse that a VonErich is a friend of a VonErich.  Adams…. Just wait till Denver when we drop you on your big, stuck-up English head!  You cost me a win against Mikey and we didn’t get to give him the 10 lashes his father shouldn’t have given him years ago.

Cowboy Bob:  Not sure what you are complaining about Embry.  You got beat fair and square as “Mikey” seemed to hog tie you right in the center of the ring. 

MATCH:  Ciclon Negro defeats Rick McGraw after a punch with a roll of quarters

Ciclon refuses a post-match interview as the Lawman still wants to get to the bottom of what happened last week we he attacked Sweet Brown Sugar.

MATCH:

Hillbilly Jim defeats Norman Lownd with a Bearhug.

During the match Ernie Ladd comes to the interview desk where we find out that it will be Ladd vs Hillbilly Jim this Monday in Denver.

Ernie Ladd:  Listen up Don Slatten, I am getting sick and tired of chasing Wahoo McDaniel around and every time I show up, he is nowhere to be found.  Now this Monday in Denver, I know I am in the auditorium and I know Wahoo is also there defending the Rocky Mountain Title against Ox Baker.  Now Ox is a quality competitor and if he hits that Heart Punch that drunk Injun will be visiting the big spirit in the sky but what am I doing wrasstlin this stupid, grinning hillbilly for.  I know he is a big ol country bumpkin but come on already.  I am Ernie Ladd!  I can’t wait to wipe that grin off his face by sticking these big size 22 boots right in his teeth.  Hopefully after Monday, when you can’t tell Hillbilly Jim from the roadkill he was eaten for lunch, I will get my title shot!

COMMERCIAL

MATCH:  Ox Baker defeats Bradley Rose with the Heart Punch

Ox Baker hypes up his Rocky Mountain Title shot for this Monday.

V1HRaGU.jpg?1

Ox Baker:  Let me tell you a story… two years ago, I was down in Amarillo, Texas in the Sports Arena.  It was me and Wahoo McDaniel for the Southwest Title.  Before the match… Wahoo paid off two goons to Pearl Harbor me and take my legs out.  I was hurt so bad, I laid in the hospital bed and the doctor told me I would never wrestle again.  I started to feel bad for myself and then I looked down at this huge right hand of mine and remembered, I don’t fight with my legs.  I tape up this big fist and go right for the heart.  Monday night is my revenge, and nobody is stopping me from getting to the ring this Monday night.  And when Ox hits that Heart Punch and Wahoo never gets up again, you all understand why!

Cowboy Bob:  Wow… few things in this world are scarier then Ox Baker and one of them is an Angry Ox Baker.  Wahoo better be at his best. 

Cowboy Bob Tallman:  Well folks, tonight’s wild rodeo has come to a close.  See you next time on AWA Rocky Mountain All-Star Wrestling.  So long from Pueblo!

Oh Damn, Mikey found himself some fantastic back up in the form of Chris Adams! Embry and Bass had better watch themselves or they'll end up getting their teeth superkicked down their throats!

Brown Sugar picks up another win, then gets attacked again. Have to wonder who is behind the assaults.

The new Samoan team is a pretty awesome force and a best of 5 with the Mountain Men should be fun.

Grizzly Boone arrives  in devastating fashion. It will be interesting to see where he falls.

Another fantastic Ladd promo, and he v.s. Jim should be a good big man slugfest.

Loved the Ox promo too! Hyped for Baker vs McDaniel!

Still digging this little promotion man! Great stuff!!

Huge debut for Adams as he arrives and immediately makes an impact. I know Mike Von Erich and Blackjack are very happy men right now.

Somebody who's not very happy is Sweet Brown Sugar as he seems to be a target right now.

Samoans look good. Looking forward to their series with the Mountain Men. That will be all sorts of fun! 

Grizzly Boone  does his talking in the ring. 

LOL, cant wait to see Sonny King in the cage.

Hillbilly looked strong but man does he have a tough task ahead with the Big Cat. Ladd promises to put him down as well as Wahoo.

Great promo by Ox as he gets ready for his shot against Wahoo. 

Great debut for Chris Adams and it's totally logical that he would help out young Mike Von Erich with all the Von Erichs have done for his career.

I'm intrigued to see who is after Sweet Brown Sugar

I've always been a huge fan of Ernie Ladd and you've always done well writing for him in the previous game...looking forward to his match with Hillbilly

Ox is a great opponent for Wahoo...I would have begged my Dad to go see this match when I was a kid despite the fact Ox Baker scared the hell out of me back then!

JULY 28, 1984

Music intro with a montage of all the stars of Stampede Wrestling past and present is shown.

Ed Whalen:  I am Ed Whalen and welcome to another edition of Stampede All-Star Wrestling coming to you from the CHCT Studies in downtown Calgary. We have a ring-a-ding-dong- dandy of a show for you today as we are going to be seeing many of the highlights from the major show this past Monday in the Corral and have 4 big in-studio matches for you.  First, let’s begin with Bad News Allen vs Nicolai Volkoff from the Corral.    

VIDEO:  Nicolai Volkoff vs Bad News Allen

What is interesting here is that the crowd in Calgary is actually behind Allen.  If you would have said that 6 months ago, you might people would have called you insane.  As for the match, both men have their time on top but Allen is able to survive the backbreaker from the Russian and go on the offensive,

WHAM… Ghetto Blaster from Allen. 

As the ref goes for the count, Nikita hits the ring at two and is all over Bad News. 

Allen gets the win by DQ but he takes a pretty good beating that ends with a Sickle by the Russian Nightmare. 

When the video is over, Nikita and Nicolai are at the interview desk.

Nicolai Volkoff:  Bad News Allen… you are just as stupid as the rest of the people around here.  You are just getting in our way and if it continues you will feel the wrath of Mother Russian!

Nikita Koloff:  I hope you all saw what happens to anyone who gets hit with the Sickle.  I hope Ted Dibiase was watching as on August 4th… I will use the Russian Sickle to win the title over another weak Westerner!

Ed Whalen:  Folks, I think Bad News needs some help to deal with this Russian duo and Ted Dibiase better be at his best or the AWA title might be returning to Moscow. 

IN-STUDIO MATCH: MX-1 defeats Tom Millison with the Airplane Drop

This masked wrestler does his best to hype himself and his Airplane Drop move but he is a bit weak on the microphone.  The fans see him as an arrogant man he thinks he is much better than he really is.  We will have to see if anyone can put him in his place in the weeks to come.

(Commercials)

Promos for Monday’s show in Winnipeg

Ed Whalen:  Fans, you are in for a treat now as we are about to see highlights of one of the greatest tag matches ever and it took place last week in Edmonton. 

VIDEO MATCH:  The Road Warriors with Paul Ellering vs Dr. Death & Manny Fernandez

We pick up the match with Dr. Death backing Hawk into the corner and just pummeling away on him.  Referee Rod Hater forces the break but as soon as Williams is backed off, he heads comes back in.  Williams pushes passed Hater and is all over Hawk.  Again, Hater gets in between and forces the break.  Hawk charges Dr. Death. 

WHAM!  Hawk accidently hits Hater with a short -armed clothesline and he is out cold. 

WHAM!  Powerslam by Dr. Death and he covers Hawk but there is no count as there is no ref.

Williams picks up Hawk and hits another powerslam and once again covers Hawk.

Referee Jergen Herman rushes in and begins to make the count.  Animal is aware and rushes in to make the save.

Wham!  Manny Fernandez hits Animal with a Flying Elbow.

1…2…3.

The fans are going wild as we have new World Tag Champs. Herman gives the belts to Dr. Death and Manny.

Ref Rod Hater slowly rises and sees Dr. Death and Manny with the belts and he goes over and rips them out of their hands.  He goes to the ring announcer….

Ed Whalen:  Referee Rod Hater has disqualified Dr. Death and Manny Fernandez claiming that Dr. Death put his hands on him when illegally attacking Hawk in the corner and therefore the Road Warriors are still the champs!

When the video ends, we see an understandable upset Dr. Death and Manny at the interview desk.  They can’t believe that Rod Hater made that decision but the good thing is that the Road Warriors now know that Dr. Death and Manny are the better team and this week in Winnipeg, they will take the titles

Stu Hart comes out to the interview desk and congratulates Dr. Death and Manny on their near title win but also makes it clear that nobody can put their hands on a referee.  Hart doesn’t care about the objections being made by Dr. Death and Manny as he continues.

Stu Hart:  Also, this will be your last title shot.

Now the tag team behind Stu is fuming but he asks them to pay close attention.

Stu Hart:  The reason is that later this summer, Stampede Wrestling will be holding a tournament to crown the first ever Stampede Tag Team Champions and whoever controls those belts, will be the #1 contenders whenever the AWA World Champs are in town. 

As Stu promises more information on this next week, Dr. Death and Manny begin to smile as they believe those belts are as good as theirs!

IN STUDIO MATCH: Ric Flair with Bobby Heenan defeats Jay Strongbow with the Figure 4

This was a good match for TV with some really nasty chops from both men but in the end, Flair was just too dirty and took control after a low blow.  After a few minutes of working on the knees, Flair locks in the Figure 4 and it is all over.  

(Commercials)

When we come out of break, Bobby Heenen and Flair are at the interview desk.

Bobby Heenan:  Ok… I know this is Canada and you all are not too smart up here … but last week in Edmonton, we saw Ric Flair defeat Brett Hart for the second time in a row but still no North American Title shot!  What is going on?  So what does stupid Stu Hart do?  He gives the wrong member of The Family the wrong title shot!  That’s right humanoids in Winnipeg.  Get ready to see Paul Orndorff take the Stampede Title from Jim Neidhart this week.  I guess it is all good because eventually Stupid Stu will have to give a North American title shot to Ric Flair and then the Family will have two titles and then which ever two men I put into the Stampede Tag team title tournament will give The Family control of all of the gold in Stampede Wrestling/

Ric Flair:  I know what is going on.  Stu Hart can’t stand to see the title around my waist.  I mean look at me.  I got it all.  $10,000 robes, rolex watches, private jets and ooooooohhhhhhhh the ladies.  Then Stu Hart takes a look at his son…. Now don’t get me wrong, Bret Hart is not a bad wrestler.  He works hard.  Real Hard!  And that is the problem.  He is not raw talent.  It doesn’t come natural to him but me…. WHOOOOO, I am the Nature Boy!

All of a sudden, Bret Hart comes out.

Bret Hart:  Ehhh… I have heard enough abuttt you and how great you think you are.  You are right, you beat me the last two weeks but you didn’t  mention the goons that helped you.

Ric Flair just laughs.

Bret Hart:  Laugh all you want Flair.  You know you needed the help of Orndorff and Hennig.

Flair is angry now and steps up to Hart.

SMACK!  Hart hits Flair right across the face and heads to the ring where he dares Flair to come to the ring.  Flair is fuming and is in his way but Heenan holds him back and calmer heads prevail.

Ed Whalen:  Well someday soon these two will meet for the AWA North American Title and it will be a Ring-A-Ding-Dong-Dandy!  Let’s get back to the ring and out next scheduled match.

IN-STUDIO MATCH: 

Rick McCord defeats Brian Beck with the Lou Thesz Press 

McCord continues to impress as Whalen hypes up the fact that he might just be in line for an AWA Light Heavyweight Title shot the next time Brad Armstrong is in town. 

(Commercials)

VIDEO MATCH: STAMPEDE TITLE MATCH

Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart vs Sgt. Slaughter

The match ended in a DQ win for the Anvil as Gama Singh and Mr. Pogo hit the ring and attacked Neidhart 4-1 if you include Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie

Ed Whalen:  Well folks… the good news from you just saw is that Jim Neidhart will be okay.  The bad news is that he is still hurting and will not be able to be with us tonight. That means that the Sheepherders will have to go it alone in our main event tonight against Sheiks Army.  Before our main event lets bring in Sheik Adnan Al Kassie and his men.

Sheik Adnan Al Kaissie:  Hala Ed Whalen.  Assalum Alaikum.  Insha Allah Masha Allah.  Ahlan Marhaba Wa Sahla.  I am so very excited that Stampede Wrestling is noticing how dominant my men are.  Tonight, Stu Hart did the right thing for once by setting up a tournament for crown Mr. Pogo and Gama Singh tag team champions of Stampede Wrestling.

Ed Whalen:  Ummm, not sure he did that for you.

Sheik Adnan:  I understand.  We don’t want to say that out loud and let the other teams now they have no chance.  Also, this Monday, it will be Sgt. Slaughter taking the North American Title from Bret Hart.  I can’t wait for the parade all around Saudi Arabia.

Sgt. Slaughter:  That’s right… listen up all of you maggots out there in Winnipeg.  Please don’t cry when I lock Bret Hart in the Cobra Clutch and he goes to sleep and I take his belt.  You people up here in this stickin country bring lots of tissues as I know you will be shedding some tears when your hero is carried out on a stretcher.

Ed Whalen:  Enough of this.  Time to get to the ring.

MATCH:  6 MAN TAG ACTION

The Sheepherders vs Slaughter, Pogo and Singh

The Sheepherders fought just likie you knew they would but eventually the numbers game took over.  Slaughter and his teammates began to punish the Sheepherders.  It looked like the Sheiks men were out to hurt the Sheepherders instead of getting the win.

Just when it looked bleak, the crowd popped as “The Anvil” hit the ring.  We see a wild brawl to end the show that ends with fan favorites in charge of the ring.

Ed Whalen:  Sorry fans but we are out of time.  So, in the meantime and in the in-between time… that’s it, another edition of Stampede Wrestling. 

Normally in a 2 on 1 situation, you wouldn't say this, but.... The Russians should probably leave Bad News alone! Especially with Nikita set to compete for the title. Bad News will make sure that shit doesn't happen!!

Doc and The Bull nearly end the reign of The Road Warriors! But it looks like they may get one hell of a consolation prize. Looking forward to a potential tag tournament!

Flair takes out a fat Italian guy, and then he and Bobby entertain me on the mic! You have Heenan down, and your Flair ain't too shabby either!

Orndorff vs Neidhart should be a good one

The Adnan interview was great! Though the Slaughter heel turn coming this early does deprive me of my favorite G.I. Joe figure as a kid!

Man, I love a good show closing brawl!

I agree, the Russians might have the odds in their favor but messing with Allen before Nikita's world tile match might be bad news for Nikita.

Manny and Dr. Death almost pull it off! Looking forward to the Stampede tag tournament. With your stacked tag roster, this will be damn good. 

Flair and Heenan are confident and say the title will be Flair's. Hart disagrees and gives Flair a good slap. 

Like the build of McCord as he gets in line for a light heavyweight title shot. 

Sheepherders hang tough with  Sheik's men but the numbers game eventually comes into play until Anvil runs out to even things up! 

Great show as lots of storylines are advancing. 

7Yt2GpR.jpg?1

JULY 30,1984

DENVER AUDITORIUM

SHOW REPEATED ACROSS COLORADO THROUGHOUT THE WEEK

(Colorado Springs, Durango, Grand Junction, Pueblo, Fort Collins

Chief Jay Strongbow vs Verlon Biggs

Rick McGraw vs Luke Aduda

BEST 3 OUT 5 SERIES FOR #1 CONTENDER:  The Mountain Men (Link & Rex) vs The Super Samoans (Sakalia & Tui)

Sweet Brown Sugar vs Jos Leduc

Ernie Ladd vs Hillbilly Jim

6 MAN TAG MATCH: 

Mike VonErich, Chris Adamas & Blackjack Mulligan vs Eric Embry, Ron Bass & Sonny King

AWA Rocky Mountain Title Match:  Wahoo McDaniel vs Ox Baker

IVL0ezX.gif

July 29, 1984

The Winnipeg Arena

SHOW REPEATED ACROSS COLORADO THROUGHOUT THE WEEK

(Dauphin, Brandon, Minnedosa, Thompson, Flin Fon)

Calgary, Alberta

Ric McCord vs MX-1

The Sheepherders vs Mr. Pogo & Gama Singh

Bad News Allen vs Nicolai Volkoff

Nikita Koloff vs Davey Boy Smith

Ric Flair vs Dynamite Kid

STAMPEDE TITLE MATCH:  Jim Neidhard vs Paul Orndorff

AWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE:  The Road Warriors vs “Dr.Death” Williams & Manny Fernandez

NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH:  Bret Hart vs Sgt. Slaughter

**** THE ONLY WAY TO GET THE RESULTS IS TO BUY A TICKET*****

bPcgGLA.jpg?1

August 3

From peak to peak and valley to valley we welcome you Rocky Mountain Pro Wrestling.    I am Cowboy Bob Tallman and we are coming to you tonight from the Colorado State fairgrounds in Pueblo, Colorado.   With me tonight is the President of Rocky Mountain Wrestling, the Lawman, Don Slatton.  Don, what a show they had down in Denver last Monday. 

Lawman:  That’s right Cowboy and before we get to the ring tonight, we must take a look at the video tape. 

A video montage from the Denver Auditorium shows

·        Ernie Ladd catch Hillbilly Jim with a Big Boot for the win 

·        The Mountain Men (Link & Rex) take 1-0 lead in their best of 5 Series against the Samoans (Sakalia & Tui) as Rex took advantage of a downed ref and hit Tui with a Walking Stick. 

·        Blackjack Mulligan, Chris Adams & Mike Von Erich defeat The Outlaws (Ron Bass & Eric Embry) along with Sonny King as Mike Von Erich caught Sonny King with the Iron Claw as the other 4 men brawled outside the ring. 

·        Wahoo McDaniel successful defended his Rocky Mountain Title against Ox Baker in a bloody brawl but after the bout, Ox hit Wahoo with the Heart Punch and the champ left the ring on a stretcher.

Cowboy Bob:  Well folks, it was a great night of action and we also have some good news as Wahoo McDaniel is fine and will be with us in just a minute. 

Wahoo McDaniel:  Well Lawman… its bone picking time and I got a few bones to pick.  First of all, Ox Baker… you were out here last week talking about some nonsense about how I paid two guys to jump you down in Amarillo.  Ox… you know that is a lie.  We have rasstled each other many times and I just got your number.  I had it in Amarillo and I had last Monday in Denver.  The problem is you don’t play fair and you hit me with a Heart Punch after the match.  You tried to end my career and I don’t take kindly to that.  I have asked and been granted a match with Ox tonight and trust me Cowboy, this is going to be a backyard brawl.  My next bone to pick is with Ernie Ladd.  The Big Cat has been around talking about how I am afraid of him and how I seem to disappear when he is around.  Ernie Ladd is just like Ox Baker.  A little old and his memory is fading.  When I as done with Baker, I am coming for you Ernie Ladd.  One thing for sure is that I am a fighting champ!

COMMERCIAL

Promos for Monday’s show in The Salt Palace  

SHOW REPEATED AROUND UTAH DURING THE WEEK

(Provo, Green River, Moab, St. George)

MATCH:  The Mountain Men (Rex & Link) beat Buck Homestead & Cal Gordon

The match is a complete squash match as the Mountain Men just throw Homestead and Gordon around.  Rex and Link went over to the interview desk and kind of grunted and screamed their way through it.

Rex:  We told you a couple of weeks ago that we deserved the title shots around here and not those idiot Samoans.

Cowboy Bob:  Well maybe if you didn’t use a walking stick you wouldn’t have won the first match.  Remember, you need to win three matches to earn a title shot.

Link:  And now that we won the first match, we get to pick the type of match the next one will be and we choose A King of the Mountain Match!

Lawman Don:  And what is a King of the Mountain Match?

Rex:  All 4 men in the ring at once and to get the win you must through both of your opponents over the Top Rope to the floor.

Link:  Hey they call that little Samoan, Superfly Tui… can’t wait to the Salt Palace and see how far he flies!

MATCH:  Sonny King defeats Hutch Thomas by Knockout with the Bolo Punch

As King walks to the locker room he goes right past the interview desk even though Cowboy Bob tries to get a word with him.  Bob is wondering if Sonny King is still the manager of the Rocky Mountain Tag Champs (Bass & Embry) as this is the second week in a row that he has been in the ring.  What is really unusual is that this is one time Sonny King has been at a loss for words. 

COMMERCIAL

Before we get to our next match Ron Bass & Eric Embry are at the interview desk hyping up their title match against Mike VonErich & Chris Adams this week in the Salt Palace.  One thing that was really interesting was that when they were asked if Sonny King was still their manager Ron Bass replied by saying right now the General is in control.  When asked by Cowboy Bob who the general was and what was he is control of, the Outlaws simply walked away.

MATCH:  Sweet Brown Sugar defeats Derrick Rowe with a Missile Dropkick

Cowboy Bob can’t believe what he is seeing as Sonny King hits the ring and goes after Sugar.  Lucky for Sugar, King misses with that big bolo punch he showcased earlier in the show.  The problem was that Grizzly Boone was right behind Sonny King!

WHAM… the 440 pounder rammed Sugar right into the ring post then he climbed up to the second rope

WHAM… Giant splash on Sugar!

The crowd explodes as Tony Atlas hits the ring and Sonny King and Grizzly Boone head off to the locker room as Atlas goes to check on Sweet Brown Sugar.  The interesting thing here is that as Boone was heading off, Ernie Ladd came out and gave him a big salute.

COMMERCIAL

Before we get back to the ring, Lawman Don Slatton has demanded Ernie Ladd to come to the interview desk as he wants to get to the bottom of the recent attacks as he feels that Ladd is behind it.

Ernie Ladd:  Listen up Don Slatten, for once in your life, you are right.  When I first got here, this locker room was disorganized and people like Wahoo McDaniel and Blackjack Mulligan were doing whatever they wanted to.  Just look at the crap Blackjack has done the last few weeks.  He brings in Mikey VonErich and within 3 weeks, he has a title shot.  Well this is all going to come to stop.  Rocky Mountain Wrestling will now be run like the military.  This is now Ernie Ladd’s Army!  My first order of business was to find a security enforcer.  I needed someone who was willing to do the dirty work so I said whoever takes out that fool Sweet Brown Sugar gets the job.  I must say I am real happy at how this turned out.  What better enforcer could Ladd’s Army have but a 440 monster…. Grizzly Boone.  Next order of business… protect the gold!  Right now Ron Bass and Eric Embry have the tag titles and the Army will make sure they keep those belts.  Lastly and most important, the Army will get rid of Wahoo McDaniel followed by Blackjack Mulligan

Before we head to the ring, Slatton and Cowboy Bob wonder if Rocky Mountain Wrestling will ever be the same.  During the interview, Grizzly Boone and Jos Leduc come out and wonder in a very threatening way if VonErich and Adams will even make it to the Salt Palace.  Leduc is seeming to be back to his wild and crazy self and that makes him real dangerous.  Somehow, cooler heads prevail as VonErich and Adams head to the ring. 

MATCH:

Mike Von Erich & Chris Adams defeat Verlon Biggs & Ross Mendez as Adams hit a Superkick on Biggs

Adams and VonErich did a great job of showing they are real confident that they will take the tag titles from Bass and Embry in the Salt Palace but all of a sudden, they are interrupted as Grizzly Boone and Jos Leduc come out and wonder in a very threatening way if VonErich and Adams will even make it to the Salt Palace.  Leduc is seeming to be back to his wild and crazy self and that makes him real dangerous.  Somehow, cooler heads prevail.    

COMMERCIAL

ROCKY MOUNTAN TITLE MATCH:  Wahoo McDaniel vs Ox Baker

This brawl starts way before the bell and has nothing to do with wrestling.  It takes only a few big tomahawk chops for the momentum to swing to Wahoo’s side.  After about 10 chops Ernie Ladd and his new security enforcer, Grizzly Boone hit the seen.  It is like Wahoo’s pals had expected this as Blackjack Mulligan and Tony Atlas are not far behind!

As the brawl is raging we hear…

Cowboy Bob Tallman:  Well folks, tonight’s wild rodeo has come to a close.  See you next time on AWA Rocky Mountain All-Star Wrestling.  So long from Pueblo!

ROCKY MOUNTAIN PRO WRESTLING

AUGUST 5, 1984

SALT PALACE

Chief Jay Strongbow vs Luke Aduda

Jos Leduc vs Verlon Biggs

Hillbilly Jim vs Ciclon Negro

Sweet Brown Sugar vs Sonny King

BEST 3 OUT 5 SERIES FOR #1 CONTENDER:  KING OF THE MOUNTAIN MATCH

The Mountain Men (Link & Rex) vs The Super Samoans (Sakalia & Tui)

Tony Atlas  vs Grizzly Boone

Wahoo McDaniel & Blackjack Mulligan vs Ernie Ladd & Ox Baker

ROCKY MOUNTAIN TAG TEAM TITLE:  Mike VonErich, Chris Adams vs Eric Embry & Ron Bass

**** THE ONLY WAY TO GET THE RESULTS IS TO BUY A TICKET*****

Things in Rocky Mountain are boiling! 

Ernie Ladd just might end up taking over but his army have a fight coming with the likes of Atlas and Mulligan. Love the debut of Atlas. 

Great feud going between Adams/Mike and Bass/Embry. 

Sonny King is back in the ring but he might of bitten off more than he can chew with Sweet Brown Sugar. 

Wahoo proves he's still at the top of his game as he comes back from the Heart Punch and vows to take out Ladd. 

This has become a fun territory. 

Zwho6Q4.jpg?1

August 4, 1984

Music intro with a montage of all the stars of Stampede Wrestling past and present is shown.

Broadcasting to our local affiliates in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, the American Wrestling Association proudly presents Stampede Wrestling, coming to you from the CHCT Studios in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. 

Ed Whalen:  I am Ed Whalen and welcome to another edition of Stampede All-Star Wrestling coming to you from the CHCT Studies in downtown Calgary. We have a ring-a-ding-dong- dandy of a show for you today but up first let’s view some highlights from this past week as Stampede visited the great province of Manitoba.

Video Montage of last week’s big matches from the Winnipeg Arena.

STAMPEDE Title Match:  Jim Neidhard defeats Paul Orndorff when he caught him with a powerslam.

AWA World Tag Match:  The Road Warriors  defeated “Dr.Death” Steve Williams & Manny Fernandez after Many was hit with the Doomsday Device.  This was to be the last match between these two teams unless Williams and Fernandez can win the upcoming tournament to crown the first ever Stampede Tag champions.

NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH:  Bret Hart vs Sgt. Slaughter ended in a DQ win for Hart as he had Slaughter caught in the Northern Lights Cloverleaf but Mr. Pogo and Gama Singh hit the ring and made the save.  This ended in a wild brawl as the Bristish Bulldogs hit the ring and we went 3 on 3 until security rushed in.

ED Whalen:  As we just saw, it was some week in Manitoba last week but know we must get ready for tonight and the big event right here at the Corral in Calgary.  Let me bring in the AWA World Champion, Ted Dibiase who has a tough title defense tonight against the Russian Nightmare, Nikita Koloff. 

Ted Dibiase:  Wherever I went, I have been hearing for weeks now there is no chance you can beat Nikita Koloff… The Russian Nightmare is unbeatable.  Well let me remind you that everyone said Hulk Hogan was unbeatable but I beat him.

Ed Whalen:  Hey, what’s going on now!  Wwhat are you two doing out here.  You are not scheduled to be on the show tonight.

Nicolai Volkoff and Nikita come to the interview desk.

Nicolai Volkoff:  Ted Dibiase… one thing you said is right.  Nikita is unbeatable. 

As Volkoff continues, he starts to poke the champ in the chest as the Russians try to intimidate him.

Nicolai Volkoff:  What is too bad for you and the stupid fans here in the Canada is that you think what ever you want you get and then you get your poor feelings crushed.  Just like you will tonight Mr. Dibiase.

As the Russians close in on Dibiase, Ed Whalen calls for calmer heads to prevail.

Ted DIbiase:  I left one thing out before.  People kept warning me that the reason, Nikita couldn’t be beat was that Uncle Nicolai was always around and it was like fighting 2-1.  Well, I solved that with one conversation.  Nikita, just as you have someone protecting you, I have someone protecting me and it is someone you Nicolai, can’t beat.

The crowd erupts as Bad News Allen comes to the interviews desk and reminds everyone that he has a score to settle with the Russians and that he will be in the corner if the World Champ in the Corral tonight.

As we go to break, Whalen really thinks that the for once, the Russians might be in trouble!

(Commercials)

Promos for tonight’s show in Calgary

MATCH:  Dr. Death & Manny Fernandez crush Tim Dobber & Jay Stalworth

The interesting part here was that Stu Hart came out during the match and made a big announcement as he says that Stampede Tag Team Tournament will start tonight in the Corral with Dr. Death and Manny facing off against Paul Orndorff and Curt Hennig who will have Bobby Heenan at their side.  Stu also lets us know that the other six teams will be announced next week.  In the post-match interview, Dr. Death and Manny are excited to get the tournament started and Orndorff and Hennig will just be a stepping stone to the title and a rematch for the AWA World Tag title.  Dr. Death ends the interview with a warning to Bobby Heenan to not get in the way.

MATCH:  Ben Bassarab defeats Ciclon Negro with the Flying Body Press

This is Bassarab’s first match in Stampede since last year and it was obvious from the ovation that he received that the fans missed him.  Ciclon Negro really helped Ben out here as he was bumping and selling all over the place and the young Bassarab really looked good with this winning performance.  When the match was over, there seemed to be some confusion to the timing of what was going on as MX-1 came out to the ring for his match while Bassarab was still shaking hands with the fans.  MX-1 took offense to Bassarab still being there and a bit of a shoving match occurred between the two.

(Commercials)

Promos for Monday’s show in Calgary

MATCH:  MX-1 defeats Pat Burrel with the Airplane Drop

In a quick interview, MX-1 warned Ben Bassarab not to get in his way.

Next, Bobby Heenan leads “The Family” (Flair, Orndoff and Hennig) to the interview desk 

Bobby Heenan:  Ok… Last week I said that I knew this is Canada and you all are not too smart up here … and again Stu Hart proves it.  I mean how dumb can you be.  You start a tournament with the two top teams against each other.  Somebody in the 5th grade should tell Stu Hart that the two best teams should meet in the finals!  I mean for once I feel bad for the fans.  To see your favorite tag team, Dr. Dummy and Manny Burrito, lose in the first round is going to scar some little Canadian kids.

Paul Orndorff:  I have wrestled both Steve Williams and Manny Fernandez and while they both might be tough, they are no Mr. Wonderful. 

Curt Hennig:  They may be tough but they are all brawn and no brains.  Dr. Death can’t even spell PhD! And Manny Fernandez … he is a dumb as the donkey he rode it on.  Those titles are as good as ours.

Ric Flair:  Okay… The Nature Boy is getting sick and tired of this.  Three weeks ago, I was told I needed to win matches to move up the ranks to earn a North American title shot.  For once in my life, I listened to what was told and I went out and beat everyone around this one horse town.  In fact, I beat t Bret Hart twice.  Hart is the donkey with the title and his father is the jackass keeping me from the AWA North American title. 

Maybe it was the jackass comment but Bret Hart comes out waving a piece of paper.

Bret Hart:  Ehhh… I have been listening to you for weeks saying that my father is protecting me from you.  Well, I have heard enough abuttt you and how great you think you are.  In my hand, I have an open contract to face anyone tonight in the Corral for the North American title and I thought I would bring that out here to see if you had the guts to sign it!

Flair who just happened to have a pen in his $10,000 suit, quickly signed the contract. 

All of a sudden, Stu Hart, who has been called all kind of names comes out in a referee shirt on and a big smirk on his face.

Stu Hart:  Ohhh Bobby Heenan.  Actions speak louder then words.  Your words about me being stupid were only words but the actions of you and Ric Flair just now are truly dumb!  I mean you have never heard the phrase…. “Never sign something, you don’t read first.”  Well you didn’t read that contract which states that I will be the referee tonight and it anyone interferes to help Ric Flair, he will be disqualified.

Heenan and Flair begin to object when Stu Hart says there is more.  “If Ric Flair loses, he will not receive a title shot for 90 days!”

Now it is Flair and Heenan screaming and the Harts laughing as we go to break. 

(Commercials)

Ric McCord defeats Doug McEwing with the middle rope sunset flip

At the interview Whalen is praising McCord on how he is moving up the Light Heavyweight ranks and that he might deserve a title shot the next Brad Armstrong is in town.  This brought out the former champ, Dynamite Kid who still thinks that he is the one who deserves a rematch with Armstrong.  In a very peaceful meeting, McCord and Kid agree to have a match tonight in the Corral to decide who the #1 contender would be.  The two shake hands and agree that there will be no nonsense tonight and it will be a true wrestling match. 

MATCH:

Sgt. Slaughter with Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie vs Sheepherder Luke Williams

While this is not the opponent Slaughter wants, he sees this as an opportunity to take out one of Jim Neidhart’s allies and maybe get Neidhart to give him another Stampede title shot.  While Slaughter does lay the boots to Williams, it doesn’t go the exactly the way he wants as Williams gives it as good as he takes it.  Eventually we end the show with Sgt. Slaughter locking in the Cobra Clutch.  The problem was the he refused to release it and this caused Neidhart to hit the ring and Sarge and “the Anvil” brawled until the screen went black.

Ed Whalen:  Sorry fans but we are out of time.  So, in the meantime and in the in-between time… that’s it, another edition of Stampede Wrestling. 

STAMPEDE WRESTLING

August 4, 1984

The Corral In Calgary

Ben Bassarab vs Doug Flynn

MX-1 vs Jay Strongbow

Dynamite Kid vs Ric McCord

1st Rd Match of Stampede Tag Tourny:  Manny Fernandez & Dr. Death vs Paul Orndorff & Curt Hennig

Elimination Street Fight Match:  Jim Neidhart & The Sheepherders vs Sgt. Slaughter, Mr. Pogo and Gamma Singh

NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH:  Brett Hart vs Ric Flair with Bobby Heenan

AWA WORLD TITLE MATCH:  Ted Dibiase with Bad News Allen vs Nikita Koloff  vs Nicolai Volkoff

Well, Dibiase couldn't ask for better backup....if he can trust him.

Doc and Manny against Orndorff and Hennig... I gotta agree with Heenan! How do you open a tournament with that!!

Flair gets his shot, but Stu gets the last laugh. I get the feeling he may not be laughing come match time though.

Neidhart and Slaughter are two tough bastards, looking forward to seeing more of them beating each other half to death!!

You have me stupid excited to see Bad News and Nikita fight!!

Regarding Rocky Mountain, Ladd as he man holding all the cards is a great choice. Him leading an army against Wahoo and Blackjack is a terrifying scenario for the 2 Vets.

As for Stampede, man, I am all aboard in Team Brain! Flair has earned his shot, and opening the tag tournament with Wonderful/Hennig vs. Williams/Fernandez! The Hart’s are crooked I tell ya!

And boy, I can’t see any allegiance between Bad News and DiBiase lasting long. Fortunately, I don’t think DiBiase needs it to last.

Bad News in Dibiase's corner! He couldn't have better back up but Dibiase should be careful. You just never know what Bad News is going to do. Dibiase vs. Nikita will be very interesting. 

DR. Death and Manny lose to the Road Warriors but that didn't seem to stop their momentum as they're ready for Hennig and Orndorff.

Nice set up with Bassarab and MX-1.

With Flair, Hennig and Orndorff, the Heenan Family is stronger than ever. Flair gets his long awaited title match with Bret but finds out Stu will be the referee. How will Flair deal with this? 

McCord and Dynamite will face off in a promised clean match. Should be a dandy. 

Great brawl to end the show between Slaughter and Anvil. That 6 man street fight will be one heck of a fight! 

Bret vs. Flair will deliver between their technical abilities and Flair leading the way.

Doc & Manny vs. Orndorff & Hennig reads like a main event on paper. Another one sure to deliver.

Dibiase seemingly finds himself some backup when dealing with the Russians. Having Bad News to back him up should even the odds a little as he goes into the ring against the Russian Nightmare

Quite the stacked roster

bPcgGLA.jpg?1

August 10

Broadcasting to our local affiliates in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and the Dakatos, the American Wrestling Association proudly presents Rocky Mountain Wrestling, coming to you from the Colorado State Fairgrounds in Pueblo.

From peak to peak and valley to valley we welcome you Rocky Mountain Pro Wrestling.    I am Cowboy Bob Tallman and we are coming to you tonight from the Colorado State fairgrounds in Pueblo, Colorado.   With me tonight is the President of Rocky Mountain Wrestling, the Lawman, Don Slatton.  Don, what a show they had last Monday at the Salt Palace and we will get to some of those highlights a little later in the show but let’s get right to the ring tonight.

MATCH:  Chris Adams defeats Bill Lownd with the Superkick

Cowboy Bob:  Well congratulations Chris on tonight’s win but I know you want to talk about last Saturday at the Salt Palace.  Let’s show all the fans what happened.

VIDEO HIGHLIIGHTS:  Rocky Mountain Tag Team Title

The Outlaws (Bass & Embry) vs Chris Adams & Mike VonErich

In this match, Ladd sent his security enforcer, Grizzly Boone, to attack Von Erich before the match started as Boone crushed VonErich from behind as he walked to the ring.  Boone used his 440 pounds to ram VonErich into the steel barrier surrounding the ring.  Adams turned just in time to see it but could not prevent it.  This meant that Adams had to basically fight the Outlaws by himself and he held his on for awhile before falling to the numbers game as Bass eventually hit the Gordbuster. 

Cowboy Bob:  Well Chris, we all just saw Mike Von Erich get attacked before the match and we know that Ernie Ladd was behind this as he seems to think he is the General of that heel locker room.

Chris Adams:  First of all, I talked to Mike Von Erich this morning and he is doing better and will be back next week.  As for Ernie Ladd, Grizzly Boone and the Outlaws … know one thing… we got a lot of good people around here and we will not take your actions lying down.

Lawman Don:  As the President of Rocky Mountain Wrestling, I want Ernie Ladd and Grizzly Boone to understand that their actions will not be tolerated.  Ernie Ladd has been crying about how he deserves a Rocky Mountain title shot against Wahoo McDaniel but I am telling him right now, he is closer to a fine or a suspension then a title shot.  In fact, this Monday in Albuquerque, he is going to have to answer for his actions as it will be Ladd, Grizzly Boone  and the Outlaws vs Chris Adams, Blackjack Mulligan, Tony Atlas and Wahoo McDaniel in a New Mexican Come As You Are Street Fight!

Adams and the fans are real excited about this and Adams vows revenge!

COMMERCIAL

Promos for Monday’s show at the Albuquerque Auditorium

Show repeated around New Mexico during the week

(Santa Fe, Alamagordo, Carlsbad, Las Cruces and Roswell)

MATCH:  The Super Samoans (Sakalia & Superfly Tui) beat Buck Homestead & Cal Gordon as Tui hits a Top Rope Splash

At the interview desk, Cowboy Bob and the Lawman congratulate the Samoans on their victory this past Monday at the Salt Palace to even up their best of 5 series vs the Mountain Men to become the next contenders for the tag title.  Cowboy Bob shows a video of the ending of this King of the Mountain Match.

It looked like the Mountain Men were going to use their size to take a 2-0 advantage in this series as they were able to toss Sakalia to the floor leaving the 5’8, 220 pound Tui to fight both Mountain Men.  As soon as Sakalia hit the floor, Tui came off the top rope and planted a missile drop kick on Rex who staggered backwards and fell over the top rope. Tui then used the rope as a slingshot and caught Link with another drop kick and Link flipped over the ropes evening this series at one apiece. 

Sakalia and Tui decided the next match would be a Capture the Flag Match where the flag was on top of a pole 10 feet above the tope rope. 

MATCH:  Jos Leduc defeats Hutch Thomas with the Bearhug

At the post match interview Leduc is back to his wild and crazy gimmick.  He is smacking himself in the face and ranting about how much he wants to move up the ranks and he will do anything to achieve this.  When he leaves, Bob and the Lawman explain that Leduc is still upset about not getting the job done when Ladd asked him to get rid of Sweet Brown Sugar.  They both explain that Leduc is dangerous enough when he is in his right mind but right now, they would rather meet a bull in phone both.

COMMERCIAL

Before we get to our next Ernie Ladd is at the interview desk with the security advisor to his army, Grizzly Boone

cajjEZk.jpg?1

Ernie Ladd:  I have only been in this territory for a few weeks, but I am learning that this is just like the rest of the country.  Ernie Ladd is guilty until proven innocent and people like that snake juice drunk, Wahoo McDaniel can do whatever they want as long as the pretend to be on the side of right…. Don Slatton… you call yourself the Lawman … but all you really are is a puppet… a puppet to the fans… a puppet to that big dummy Blackjack Mulligan and a puppet to that puppet champion… Wahoo McDaniel.  You accused me of sending Grizzly Boone out to interfere in the match between the Outlaws and Mickey VonErich.  Do you have any prove?

Lawman Don:  I..

Ernie Ladd:  Shut up before I put my size 18 boot where you will see my toes coming out of your tonsils.  You have no prove but you threaten to suspend me and fine me!  Next, you put me in a match with Blackjack, Atlas, Adams and Wahoo … like this scares me.  Not even Andre the Giant would dare step in the ring with me again and after Monday that quartet of losers may never wrestle again.

As Ladd storms off, Cowboy can’t believe the nerve of Ladd as it is so obvious, he was behind the attack on Mike VonErich.  For once, the Lawman seems to be at a loose for words.  Maybe big Don Slatton was actually a little nervous that Ladd might actually hit him with the Big Boot.

MATCH:  Sweet Brown Sugar defeats Derrick Derringer with a Missile Dropkick

FESdIVW.jpg?2

Sugar is still fuming at being the target of Ernie Ladd and his posse and says he is not done with Sonny King.  All of a sudden, there is some commotion behind the curtain, and we see Ernie Ladd push Sonny King out from behind.

Sonny King doesn’t seem all that excited about this but once he gets the mic in his hands, he regains his confidence.

Sonny King:  Listen up Sugar… you have a right to be upset at the hit that was put out on you but to tell you the truth, there is nothing you can do about it.  You are nothing and you will always be nothing.

Sugar just can’t take it anymore and goes right on the attack and he for once, nobody comes out to stop this brawl.  King is bleeding but ready to fight.  Eventually, officials and jobbers separate the two.

MATCH:  Hillbilly Jim defeats Tom Pacciorek with a Big Bodyslam

A little dancing and playing with the fans takes the place of a post-match interview but it is obvious to both Cowboy Bob and the Lawman that Hillbilly Jim is on a role and is one big and tough dude that should not be crossed. 

COMMERCIAL

Before our main event, Blackjack Mulligan is at the interview desk.

vVSy68X.jpg

BJ Mulligan:  Well Cowboy, some of my greatest memories in wrestling have come in the Salt Palace and I want to say I am sorry to all those fans in Utah.  I dropped the ball.  I said a few weeks ago that I was going to protect young Mike VonErich …that I was going to show him the ropes.  Well, I failed and in the Salt Palace, one Ernie Ladd, used his goon to attack Mike VonErich.  Well this week in Albuquerque, I know it is an 8 man tag match, but I am going to make sure that sometime in that match it will be Ernie Ladd and myself in that ring at the same time.  I am going to catch him in the Iron Claw and when the blood starts to trickle down the side of his head, I am going to look up to the sky… up to David VonErich and say I got your little brother and nothing else is going to happen to him.

An obviously emotional Blackjack heads off and we go to the ring.

MATCH:  Tony Atlas & Wahoo McDaniel vs Ox Baker & Ciclon Negro

w9L13wK.jpg  an0SYcA.jpg?1

This wild match actually ends with a clean win as Atlas pins Negro following a press slam.  Atlas and McDaniel end the show by promising to take a pound of flesh out of Ernie Ladd this week in Albuquerque. 

ROCKY MOUNTAIN PRO WRESTLING

AUGUST 12, 1984

Albuquerque Auditorium

Chief Jay Strongbow vs Ciclon Negro

Hillbilly Jim vs Verlon Bigg

Ox Baker vs Verlon Biggs

Sweet Brown Sugar vs Sonny King

Jos Leduc vs Ted Allen

BEST 3 OUT 5 SERIES FOR #1 CONTENDER:  CAPTURE THE FLAG MATCH

The Mountain Men (Link & Rex) vs The Super Samoans (Sakalia & Tui)

NEW MEXICO STREET FIGHT:  Wahoo McDaniel,Tony Atlas, Chris Adams and Blackjack Mulligan vs Ernie Ladd, Grizzly Boone, Ron Bass & Eric Embry

Zwho6Q4.jpg?1

August 11, 1984

Broadcasting to our local affiliates in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, the American Wrestling Association proudly presents Stampede Wrestling, coming to you from the CHCT Studios in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. 

Ed Whalen:  Hi everybody and away we go with another edition of Stampede Wrestling.  I am Ed Whalen coming to you from the CHCT Studies in downtown Calgary. You may have noticed that the studio behind is empty today and that is because we have a special show for you tonight.  Last Monday, in the Corral right here in Calgary was such a wild and historic show that we thought we would show you some highlights from that event and get you all caught up on the goings on in Stampede.  I promise you that this will be a ring-a ding-dong- dandy of a show as you will not only see the highlights but the fedora-wearing Jim Davies was in both locker rooms after the matches so we will get some emotion filled post-match interviews. 

AWA WORLD TITLE MATCH:  Ted Dibiase with Bad News Allen vs Nikita Koloff with Nicolai Volkoff

This match is really a tale of two bouts.  It was all Koloff in the beginning as Dibiase had trouble dealing with the power of the Russian Nightmare.  The one thing Dibiase did well was not to allow Koloff to hit the Russian Sickle.  It was like DIbiase took a page out of Muhammed Ali’s playbook with a little rope a dope.  He just allowed Nikita to wear himself out.  Eventually, the tide turned and Dibiase took control.  The champ followed up a running knee lift with a suplex and it looked like he was going to get the win.  Nicolai Volkoff saw the chances of a Russian World Champion slipping away and tried to get involved.  Bad News Allen rushed over and clocked Nicolai to prevent any interference as Dibiase locked in the Sleeper and got the win.

Post-Match Interviews with Jim Davies:

Ted Dibiase:  I told everyone that Nikita Koloff was beatable and tonight I proved it.  I also want to thank Bad News Allen for not allowing this to turn this into a 2-1 attack.  I promise down the road when I return to Stampede, Bad News Allen will get a world title shot!

Bad News Allen:  Not that Ted Dibiase needed my help to beat Nikita but just a few weeks ago, Nicolai grabbed my leg and caused me to lose focus allowing Nikita to hit me with the Russian Sickle which cost me this World Title shot.  Tonight, I made sure Nicolai didn’t do this to Dibiase!  One thing I promise is that I am not done with the Russians and I won’t be done until they are out of Stampede.  I have made a phone call to the one man I trust in this sport and when you see who it is, you will know why I trust him.  He doesn’t give a damn about anyone or anything and he just wants to fight for what he believes in … just like me.  Sometimes he is in the right and sometimes he is in the wrong but he always stands up for what he believes in.  He said he will be here this week and we are going Russian hunting and Koloff and Volkoff better be ready.   

Nicolai & Nikita are fuming at Bad News Allen as they must have someone to blame for Nikita coming up short.  They vow to take Bad News out of Stampede!

(Commercials)

Promos for Monday’s show in Edmonton

NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH:  Bret Hart vs Ric Flair with Bobby Heenan

Special Guest Referee:  Stu Hart 

1 Hour Time Limit

This match is a true classic as both men are awesome at bumping and selling and we see both men looking to be at the top of their game.  For once, Bobby Heenan stays completely out of it as he knows Stu Hart is just itching to DQ Flair which will not only cost him the match but guarantee no other title shots for 90 days.  The talent of both wrestlers has the fans on the edge of their seats for the first 45 minutes of the match which is when Flair is able to take Hart’s knees out from under him.  A few minutes of Flair wearing down the legs and it was Time To Go To School!  Flair locks in the Figure 4 and is arching his back as hard as he can to get as much leverage as he could.

Hart is writhing in pain put doesn’t submit.  A few times his shoulders hit the mat and Stu gives a really slow count and Hart kicks out each time.

5 Minutes go by and no change.  Bret Hart can’t do anything about it and you hear Heenan screaming to break his leg.

10 Minutes  pass and the crowd is really concerned that their may be some permanent damage to their idol.  It looks like Bret is just about passed out from the pain but he refuses to give up.  Again, a few more slow counts by Stu prevents any pinfall.

58 Minutes into the match and the British Bulldogs rush the ring and

THROW IN THE TOWEL! 

Ding… Ding… Ding!  The bell sounds and the ring announcer declares Ric Flair the new North American Champion.

Stu Hart … Ric Flair… Bobby Heenan… and most of all, Bret Hart are all stunned.

Jim Davies and Post-Match Interviews:

Ric Flair:  I told you that Bret Hart was a tough wrestler but he was no Nature Boy.  The belt is now where it belongs … and I promise you one thing… the belt… just like my $10,000 robes…. My rolex watches … my Armani suits and my beautiful women… will become something that I am never going to give up!

Davey Boy Smith & Dynamite Kid on why they threw in the towel

“Ric Flair and Bret Hart are two of the greatest wrestlers in the world and tonight was Flair’s night.  We didn’t wasn’t to see Bret Hart’s career come to an end because of one match.  I know that he will be back and that North American title will soon his again.  We are a little surprised that Stu didn’t call for the bell earlier but I guess that North American title means more to him than anything in the world.

Stu Hart:  Tonight is a bad night for the Hart family.  It is like we had something we worked our all lives for taken from us like when lightening strikes and burns your house to the ground.  Bret Hart was trapped in the Figure 4 but it is not like he has not prepared for that all his life.  I mean every day we worked down in the Dungeon and each day in that dungeon would have made Flair’s Figure 4 seem like a mosquito bite.  Bret could have stayed in that hold forever and still be the champ.  The British Bulldogs made a mistake in judgement tonight and it was a big mistake.  I guess they are just not Hart tough!

Bret Hart:  I just want to say I am sorry to everyone.  To all the fans… to all the wrestlers in Stampede who look up to me and most of all, to my father as I let them all down tonight.

When asked about the Bulldogs, Bret Hart just kind of shook his head.  

(Commercials)

STAMPEDE TITLE MATCH:  Jim Neidhart vs Sgt. Slaughter with Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie

Unlike the Bret Hart vs Ric Flair match, this one was nothing about wrestling.  This is a brawl from the opening bell and these two former teammates really go at it.  At one point, Slaughter was able to hit the Big Cannon Lariat and looked to be setting the Anvil up for the Cobra Clutch. The Sheik jumped up on the apron to distract the ref and this is when Slaughter reached into his pants and pulled out some sort of rope which he wrapped around the throat of Neidhart just before he locked in the Cobra Clutch.  This move is tough enough but add in the fact that is was now a pure choke hold and the Anvil went out kind of quickly.  The ref raised and dropped Neidhart’s arm three times and then called for the bell as Sgt. Slaughter became the new Stamped Heavyweight Champion.

Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie:  Hala Jim Davies.  Assalum Alaikum.  Insha Allah Masha Allah.  Ahlan Marhaba Wa Sahla.  I have just been on the phone with King Hussein of Jordan and his people are so excited to see Sgt. Slaughter win the Stampede title.  King Hussein said that are planning a victory parade in many of the countries around the Middle East as I am a legend there.  They are ecstatic that I have convinced Sgt. Slaughter that Allah is the one to look up to and that the ways of the West are corrupt.   For the rest of the wrestlers in Calgary, we will prove that Allah is on the side of those who believe and Sgt. Slaughter will crush all that come after the Stampede title.    

Sgt. Slaughter:  I told all you maggots here in Calgary that I am unstoppable and today I made Jim Neidhart know he is nothing but a private and I am the Sargent. 

Jim Neidhart:  Sargent Slaughter… you know that the only way you could beat me was to choke me with a rope.  I thought people in the marines were supposed to be honorable but all you are is a cheat!  You didn’t win that title fair and square and I will make sure your title reign is short.  As for Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie… I am warning you that if I see you anywhere on this earth, I will tear you to pieces. 

(Commercials)

Promos for Monday’s show in Edmonton

1st Round Match:  Stampede Tag Team Tournament

Dr. Death & Manny Fernandez vs Paul Orndorff & Curt Hennig with Bobby Heenan

A wild one that saw a little of everything.  Hennig was able to out wrestle the opposition but that only lasted a few minutes as this one just turned into a violent brawl with action inside and outside of the ring.  Heenan did his best here to help his team but during a moment of chaos with all 4 men brawling on the floor, Heenan picked up a chair and …

WHAM:  Chair shot by Heenan to the head of Dr. Death.

The problem was that Dr. Death completely No Sold this and turned towards Heean.

Heenan looked like he had seen a ghost and quickly ran to the locker room.

Once the action headed back into the ring, we saw Dr. Death completely go wild and he eventually hit the Oklahoma Stampede on Hennig for the win.

Bobby Heenan on why he left ringside:  Now to all you humanoids out there who never made it to 9th grade biology class… Sometimes nature calls.

Dr. Death & Manny Fernandez:  We told you … it doesn’t matter who you put in front of us… they are going down and we will be the first ever Stampede Tag Team Champs.

Ed Whalen:  Well fans, as you just saw, it was a wild night in Calgary. We have a new North American champion, a new Stampede Wrestling Champion and the tournament to crown the first ever Stampede Tag Team Champions is under way.  In terms of that tournament, Stu Hart was supposed to be here today to announce the other first round matches but he was unable to be here.  He did send in a letter announcing those matches.

STAMPEDE TAG TEAM TOUNRAMENT

The Sheepherders vs Gamma Singh & Mr. Pogo with Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie

Nikita Koloff & Nicolai Volkoff vs Bad News Allen & Mystery Partner

Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart vs MX-1 & Ciclon Negro

The Road Warriors vs The British Bulldogs- AWA WORLD TAG TITLE IS NOT ON THE LINE!

Ed Whalen:  Folks, these matches will take place Monday night at the Sales Pavilion in Edmonton. I do wonder if the British Bulldogs facing the Road Warriors is a little payback for throwing in the towel costing Bret Hart the North American title.  Well, that is not for me to figure out but I do know we are running out of time.  So, in the meantime and in the in-between time… that’s it, another edition of Stampede Wrestling. 

STAMPEDE WRESTLING

August 12, 1984

Sales Pavilion in Edmonton

Ben Bassarab vs Doug Flynn

Taras Bulba vs Art Jones

STAMPEDE TAG TEAM TOUNRAMENT:  1st Round

The Sheepherders vs Gamma Singh & Mr. Pogo with Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie

Nikita Koloff & Nicolai Volkoff vs Bad News Allen & Mystery Partner

Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart vs MX-1 & Ciclon Negro

The Road Warriors vs The British Bulldogs