Pro Wrestling Only

USWA

spaldoni

The Ratamyus - Samoa feud is one of the funner ones to read about as I've been catching up on stuff, and this tag match is a good way to extend things. 

Both of the tag teams are interesting original creations (I'm assuming), and giving The Real Deal the win, allows them to move up the ranks without hurting Regal or Rogers too much, who can be a fun midcard act. 

Speaking of weird stuff like the Ratamyus-Samoa feud, here we go. Give me Mind Controlled Ivan Putski! 

Orton & Brooks can be a fun heel team, and running over the Jayhawks isn't too much of a loss. 

I assume that somehow, the TV belt will be back around Tully's waist sooner than later, even as the company focuses on Memphis more. 

Fun finish to get the Fabulous Ones the win, without totally killing of the Mr. Wrestling II & III. 

Ayala going over makes sense, as he has something resembling a future, while Atlas isn't over the hill yet, but he's beginning to slide down from his peak. Plus, you keep Atlas strong by Ayala needing something even more than at taped fist to win the match. 

Road Warriors win, but the more immportan thing is the "face" turn for Demo - I mean, Decimation. 

Funk getting the win over Tito makes sense, but Tito still has an out, unless he's leaving the promotion via piledriver. 

Only in Memphis could a DiBiase-Jumbo World Title match in '84 not be the main event :) Fun match though, with DiBiase going over, but Jumbo having some good tape when he eventually heads back to Japan. 

The main event was the very definition of Memphis smoke and mirrors, as when the heel side is Honky, Well, and Carl Fergie, you need a lot of them. But I'm sure the crowd was going nuts, especially after Lawler got the win. 

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Summer Blast has had an amazing build and always Spaldoni, you delievered!

Austin Idol wins the TV title in a way that protects Tully despite beating him...great work!

What a creative finish for the Fabs vs. the Mr. Wrestlings...I loved it!

Happy to see Ayala beat Atlas...I think he has a huge upside as a heel that we never really got see outside of Puerto Rico IRL...I look forward to seeing what's next for him.

I'm a big fan of Terry Funk as TNT Champion....so glad to see him retain but I like the inclusion of Tully, can't wait to see where this goes!

The cage match was classic Memphis....very well done!  Happy to see Dundee stay loyal to Dream Machine and Lawler....for now at least.

TNT Wrestling @ The Roanne Fieldhouse, Memphis TN 7-26-84

TN.jpg.2e36f543dc293d122df550faa084a3e9.jpg

A music video opens the show with Summer Blast 84 highlights.

Back live, the camera pans around the arena. Better lightning with the AWA banner hanging in the background and the TNT logo in the middle of the ring.

279019981_usa.jpg.4613b5e5bcdb2c512660b0655a271e87.jpg

Lance Russell: Hello everybody and welcome to the new and improved TNT wrestling here on the USA network. Well, Summer Blast 84 is in the books and joining me now is the commissioner of TNT, Larry the Axe Hennig. 

Hennig: Thank you Lance. First I want to thank the thousands of fans who came out and took part in the history making Summer Blast 84. What a tremendous event that was. I hate to open with bad news but due to the post match assault by Terry Funk, Tito Santana suffered severe injuries and will be out of action for awhile. Tito, get well soon buddy. I have no idea what came over Terry Funk but that assault was uncalled for and...

Boos as TNT Champ Terry Funk makes his way out. 

funk.png.5cf1ed7856415855393878b9fac40059.png

Funk: Listen up real good Commissioner. I told you and all these egg sucking dogs out here that I was going to hold on to this title by any means necessary.

Hennig: Wait a minute, you ended up with the DQ win. Tito had nothing to do with Tully Blanchard's interference.

Funk: See! You're just as dumb as everybody else. Tito set this all up but luckily the Ref saw what happened. But Tito had to suffer the consequences and so I gave him some Texas justice. Now that I'm done with that manipulator, I want to know who's next!

Hennig: Funny you should ask. Tully Blanchard was next in line for a shot but because he interfered in the TNT title bout, I've decided to take away that shot. There will be an 8 man tournament to decide the number 1 contender.

Funk: Fine with me but the only thing the winner of that tournament receives is an ass whipp'n from me!

Funk exits.

Lance: Ok, huge announcement from the commissioner. Larry, I'm looking forward...

More boos as Tully Blanchard storms out!

Tully: What the hell is going on?! That shot was mine! Nothing but more disrespect. First Austin Idol hits me from behind and gets a fluke win for my TV title and now this! The only reason I was out there during that TNT title bout was to scout my future opponent. That's it! I've had it with being mistreated and disrespected. These next words are words I thought I would never say but I QUIT!

Tully storms out.

Commercial Break  

Billy Squire's 'Everybody wants you' blasts over the speakers as the Fabulous Ones make their way to the ring, hugging the woman and slapping hands with the guys. 

AWA Southern Tag Team Champs The Fabulous Ones vs. Gary Williams and Vic Dutro

The fans are cheering as the Fabs go to work. They double dropkick Dutro out of the ring. Keirn swings Williams to the ropes and hits him in the mid section as Lane hits a sunset flip for the pin! 

The fans roar as the Fabs hold their tag titles high. 

The Cuban Assassins led by Ratamyus hit the ring and nail the Fabs from behind! They put the boots to them, pick them up and hurl them out of the ring. Ratamyus points down at the belts and the Assassins pick them up and raise them to the booing fans. 

Commercial Break

Lance: Oh my! It looks like Ratamyus and his Cuban Assassins want a shot at the titles. Speaking of Ratamyus, he will be here next week with Ivan Putski. We all saw that strange occurrence between them at Summer Blast. Well earlier it seemed Tully Blanchard quit TNT. He might just need some time to calm down. We also heard Larry Hennig make the tournament announcement to determine the number one contender. Lot's going on. Please welcome my guest Jerry The King Lawler.

Massive cheers as Lawler walks over wearing his king's crown.

Lawler: Thank you Lance and it's always great to be home! Now that my business with Jimmy Hart and his family is done, I want in that tournament. It's been awhile since the king had some gold....

Bill Dundee walks out.

Dundee: Jerry, I don't mean to interrupt but brother now that our business is done, I also want in the tournament! You're not the only one who wants some gold.

Dream Machine walks out.

Dream: Listen up babay, I loved that beating we put on the Hart Family in the cage but there's no feeling like holding a title and that's exactly what I want!

Austin Idol walks out with the TV title on his shoulder.

Idol: Hold on just one second. It looks to me like I'm the only one here holding gold so if anyone deserves a spot in the tournament it's the Universal Heartthrob Jack!

All 4 men are grinning and staring at each other into the commercial.

Commercial Break  

Special Challenge Match

Mr. Wrestling 2 and 3 banned from ringside

'Downtown' Denny Brown vs. 'The One and Only' Steve O

These 2 have been at each other for quite sometime and look to settle things once and for all tonight. 

Denny controls early with several takedowns. Steve turns the tide with a low kick followed by a snap suplex. Steve angrily stomps away then chokes Denny with his boot and follows with a boot rake across the face. Steve body slams Denny, hops on the middle ropes and crashes down with a knee drop 1..2..Kick Out. Steve berates the Ref then stomps on Denny. Steve swings Denny to the ropes and back drops him. Denny staggers up and Steve puts him down with a running forearm blast. Steve drops an elbow 1..2..Denny gets his shoulder up. Steve picks up Denny, swings him to the ropes and goes for another back drop but Denny kicks him and follows with a clothesline. Both men slowly stagger up. Denny executes an Oklahoma Roll 1..2..3! He got him! Denny rolls out of the ring and celebrates with the crowd as Steve pounds on the mat with anger. 

Commercial Break

Lance: So much going on tonight as it seems everybody wants in the number 1 contender tournament. 

The fans boo as once again Terry Funk comes out.

Funk: Hey Lawler! It seems to me you, Dundee and Dream Machine want to let off some steam. How about next week, the 3 of you take on myself and 2 partners of my choosing. And I'll tell you what, I'll put this TNT title on the line! That's right, if somebody is lucky enough to pin me, they'll become TNT champ. You boys got the guts? 

Lance: Terry Funk must be out of his mind. Let's go back to the ring. 

Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Frank James 

Wait a second, Gene Anderson is leading Tsuruta to the ring! Gene says something to Tsuruta and Tsuruta storms his opponent as the bell rings. Tsuruta swings James into the corner and viciously assaults him with kicks and chops. Tsuruta swings James to the ropes and puts him down with a big boot. Tsuruta picks up James and POWERBOMB'S him down 1..2..3! The fans boo as Gene leads Tsuruta to the podium. 

Lance: Gene Anderson! What are you doing here? 

Gene: Jumbo Tsuruta should be the AWA World Champion right now but thanks to his former and careless manager, he's not! That is an atrocity! I'm here because Jumbo Tsuruta deserves better and believe me, with me in his corner, nothing can stop him...nothing! While I'm at it, Larry Hennig, you better put Jumbo Tsuruta in the tournament! 

Commercial Break 

Gino Brito Jr. is waiting in the ring. Johnny Valiant is at the podium. 

Valiant: Lance Russell, I'm very excited to introduce to you, a man who's going to take TNT by storm, the Golden Boy Jerry Grey! 

grey.jpg.53a335eec8e41ffcd4e5ed0a9ac42e33.jpg

Grey arrogantly comes out combing his blonde hair.

Valiant: We wanted to make a splash in TNT so we handpicked that dummy Brito to be Grey's first TNT win.

Valiant and Grey laugh as they enter the ring. 

Gino Brito Jr. vs. 'The Golden Boy' Jerry Grey w/Johnny Valiant 

Brito hammers away on Grey, swings him to the ropes and drop kicks him down. Grey staggers up and Brito scoop slams him down. Brito grabs a leg and drops an elbow on it, then repeats it 2 more times and clamps on the figure four! Valiant hops on the apron. The Ref goes over and is yelling at Valiant to get down. The fans boo as Richard Charland hits the ring and drops an elbow on Brito. Charland picks Brito up and hits a backbreaker then rolls out of the ring. The Ref turns around as Grey limps up and hits another backbreaker on Brito 1..2..3! Grey rolls out of the ring and the fans boo as Valiant hugs him and raises his arm before exiting. 

More boos as Charland goes back in the ring. He swings Brito to the ropes but misses a clothesline, Brito swings back and clotheslines Charland down. The fans are loving it but WHAM! Brito is clotheslined from behind by Bob Della Serra! Bob stomps away on Brito then helps Charland up. They swing Brito to the ropes and double clothesline him down! The fans cheer as Denny Brown his the ring swinging a chair! Charland and Della Serra get out of there as Denny attends to Brito. 

Commercial Break 

Lance: Wow! Bob Della Serra has arrived and seems to be in cahoots with Richard Charland. Denny Brown and Gino Brito, come on over.

Gino is still feeling the affects as Denny does the talking.

Denny: Gino, I know what it's like fighting against the odds and I'll be damned if I was going to sit back and let that happen to somebody else. Anytime you need my help, you got it. 

Gino nods and shakes Denny's hand. 

Lance: Ok, looks like Denny Brown evens things up. Let's go to the ring, hold on, Jerry Lawler is out here.

Lawler: Hey, Funk wants to shoot off his mouth, we'll let's see if he can back it up. We accept his challenge for next week! 

Lance: There you have it. Lawler, Dundee and Dream Machine go up against Funk and 2 mystery partners and if somebody gets the pin on Funk, they will be TNT champion. Should be a very interesting match for next week. Ok, back to the ring. 

The Continental Cowboys vs. Josh Winters and Clyde Putnam 

Brooks destroys Putnam then body slams him down and tags in Orton. Orton and Brooks hit a double rib breaker for the pin! 

Orton and Brooks cut a promo and say that the Kansas Jayhawks were no competition and they're hoping for better competition in the upcoming TNT tag team title tournament. 

Commercial Break

Lance: Joining me once again is the Commissioner Larry Hennig. Larry, so much going on, my head is spinning.

Larry: You're absolutely right Lance. Next week, I will announce the 8 names who will compete in the number 1 contender tournament. Also, next month in Evansville Indiana on August 17th, the eagerly anticipated TNT tag team title tournament will take place. One night, 8 teams, one team walks out TNT tag champs. If that wasn't enough, I've decided to bring to TNT, the Brass Knuckles Title! So, on Saturday night, August 10th in Nashville, Hercules Ayala will face Cocoa Samoa and the winner will be the first TNT Brass Knuckles Champion!

Lance: Oh my! I couldn't think of 2 better wrestlers to fight for that title. 

Commercial Break

Lance: Before his TNT debut, Art Crews has requested some time.

crews.jpg.00de2bf2baff2f4955fb37a14ffac4c8.jpg

Art comes out sporting a buzz cut and wearing an athletic jacket. 

Crews: Whoa, whoa whoa, you will refer to me as The Ace Art Crews! I'm the Ace because I'm the best at what I do and to prove it I can tell you right now, I will beat my opponent in under 3 minutes. The Ace always calls his shots. 

'The Ace' Art Crews vs. Mark Baines

Art hits a vertical suplex then hops up on the middle ropes. Baines staggers up and Art nails him with a flying dropkick. Art swings him to the ropes and hits a running shoulder tackle for the pin in under 3 minutes! 

Commercial Break

Lance: Fans, up next should be a wild match as Bob Sweetan returns to TNT and his opponent is George Steele! I need to take cover.

'Bruiser' Bob Sweetan vs. George 'The Animal' Steele

The bell rings and the brawl is on. These two hard hitters just go at it. Steele gets the momentum as he bites, chokes and stomps on Sweetan. Sweetan comes back with kicks and punches. They brawl to the outside. Steele grabs a cable and starts choking Sweetan. The Ref warns Steele but Steele doesn't listen. The Ref signals for the bell and Disqualifies Steele. Sweetan struggles and manages to hit a jaw breaker to get out of the predicament. Several Refs come out to make sure things don't go to far. 

Commercial Break 

Sweetan has left but Steele is still going crazy and threatening the Refs. Steele finally starts to head back.

shaw.jpg.f516f204e627d5726c8d1e3100d85dc6.jpg

Mike Shaw comes out and heads towards the ring for his scheduled match. Shaw walks by and looks at Steele. Steele yells and swings his arms towards him. Shaw turns back around and heads to the ring but Steele nails him from behind! Steele then grabs Shaw by his hair and rams him into the steel post, busting him open! Wrestlers from the back come out and help the Refs get Steele out of there. 

Lance: Fans, this has been one chaotic show. Next week should be another wild one as well. See you next week! 

Liking the shiny new logo!!

Your continued portrayal of Terry Funk's turn from happy to be here babyface to paranoid heel Champion is absolutely fantastic.

Tully "quitting" is going to end very badly for everyone involved I do believe....

A tournament to crown a new #1 contender is going to be a lot of fun with the level of talent you have here!

The Fabs pick up a quick victory, but the real story is the Cuban's coming for the belts. I see a bloody war coming, and it's gonna be fun!

and just 1 segment later, 4 huge names have thrown themselves into the hat for the tournament. Terry may get to sit back and watch all of the competition destroy themselves.

Denny Brown finally gets one on Steve O with 2 and 3 banned from ringside.

Oh Shit, what does Crazy Uncle Terry have up his sleeve.....

Tsuruta got himself a new manager, but the same vicious streak, and now he wants in the tournament!

Good little segment with Grey, Brito, Charland, and Brown. I love segments that build angles for "lesser" characters.

Lawler accepts the 6 man, and now some crazy shit is guaranteed to go down. Funk is up to something....

Brooks and Orton continue to kill dudes! I like it!

Hopefully they do so in the upcoming tournament! Ayala vs Samoa for a Brass Knucks Title.... Good Choice!

Nice debut win for Art Crews

Sweetan returns and brawls it out with Animal Steele, then Steele takes out Mike Shaw.

I never got to see much of the unhinged Animal in real life, so I am enjoying it here!!

Another great show man! This tournament is gonna be awesome, and I can't wait to see what Funk has up his sleeve.

The master of the Mid-Card continues with a whole bunch of new blood to keep us on the edge of our seats each week.  

More suspense here... Did Tully really quit? Are Lawler's buddies all going to turn on each other.

The craziness of Ratymus will continue and now can he lead his boys over the Fab Ones.  I would not put anything past him.

The Funk promo was awesome and I can't wait to see who is next in line

Love the Logo.  

Sweetan vs Steele... Love an Animal that is heel-ish

Man, you've done it again...you're awesome at coming straight out of a big show with a big build up and then getting a bunch of fires lit all in one show to get us all hooked right back in again, it's easier said than done....I often have troubled after having a few blow offs on one show getting back up and running again but you did it seamlessly here.

I enjoyed the whole show but the line of the night for me was Tully Blanchard saying "these next words I never thought I'd say, I QUIT!"  Well played...I'm super intrigued to see how this plays out considering the roll he's been on in recent months....either something big is about to happen....or he got traded....we'll just have to wait and see!

The way you've written Terry Funk through this entire run has been tremendous....I'm loving it.

You've got the Memphis style down with Lawler and company....I could just see and hear every bit of this happening in my head as I read it....great stuff!

TNT Wrestling TV @ The Roanne Fieldhouse, Memphis TN 8-2-84

lance.jpg.c6fd74431af551f744015e1da8bdc078.jpg

Lance Russell: Hello again wrestling fans and welcome to TNT Wrestling here on the USA Network. Boy do we have a big show lined up. Jerry Lawler teams with the Dream Machine and Bill Dundee to take on TNT champ Terry Funk and 2 mystery partners. If any of Funk's opponents pin him, then they will become the TNT champ. A rather bold move by Terry Funk if you ask me. A lot of teams are getting ready for the upcoming tournament to crown the first ever TNT tag team champions. We have 2 big tag matches as Polynesian Power takes on Johnny Valiant's Blonde Bombers. Also the Real Deal will face Mr. Wrestling 2 and 3. Ok let's get to the ring as DJ Peterson is set to make his TNT debut. 

DJ Peterson vs. Neil White

DJ works over White with power moves then hits a vertical suplex. DJ hops on the middle ropes. White staggers up and DJ nails him with a flying shoulder tackle for the pin! The fans give a nice pop as DJ heads to the podium. 

dj.jpg.29d27d5cb55d61339a58e6abb3737f16.jpg

Lance: Congratulations on your win DJ and welcome to TNT wrestling. I'm sure you have some goals in mind. 

DJ: Thank you Lance and yes I do. You know I just came from World Class and I was fortunate enough to have tasted some gold there. Once you get a taste of that, well,  you just want more. I'm here in TNT to work my way up and get some more gold. 

Commercial Break 

Lance: Ok, I'm here with the commissioner of TNT, Larry the Axe Hennig who has some announcements to make. 

Larry: Thank you Lance. Ok just a reminder, tomorrow night in Nashville, Cocoa Samoa and Hercules Ayala will battle it out for the Brass Knuckles title. Either one of those men will make quite the brass knuckles champ. On August 17th in Evansville Indiana, 8 teams will go at it in a one night tournament to crown TNT tag champions. And next week at the Louisville Convention center, the tournament to determine the number one contender for the TNT title will take place. I will announce the 8 participants very soon. Should be an action packed couple of weeks in TNT.  

'Polish Power' Ivan Putski w/Ratamyus vs. Gary Williams

Putski is a man possessed as he just demolishes Williams. Putski swings Williams to the ropes and hits him with the Polish Hammer for the pin! Ratamyus enters the ring (wearing his hooded robe) and stares into the eyes of Putski. Putski picks up Williams and hurls him out of the ring. Putski goes to the outside and stands Williams up, then puts him back down with another Polish Hammer! Putski then drops down and starts choking Williams. Ratamyus taps Putski on the shoulder. Putski gets up and Ratamyus leads him to the back. 

Commercial Break 

TV Champ 'The Universal Heartthrob' Austin Idol vs. Chance Evans 

Idol shows off his newly won TV title as he smiles and raises it to the cheering fans. Idol works over Evans then swings him to the ropes and puts him down with a back elbow smash. Idol hoists Evans up and hits a Shin Breaker. Idol clamps on the Las Vegas Leglock to get the submission victory. The fans cheer as Idol heads to the podium. 

Lance: Austin Idol, it must feel pretty good to have that Television title. Hey, what do you think about the former champ Tully Blanchard quitting last week? 

Idol: You know, Tully called my win a fluke. Tully, it was no fluke baby. The fact of the matter is you made a terrible mistake by underestimating the Universal Heartthrob and I took advantage of your stupidity. I'm not shedding a tear for Tully. Now is my time to shine. I'm ready for all challengers and I'm also ready for my name to be included in the number one contender's tournament cuz like I said last week, I'm the one with the gold Jack! 

Idol flexes, holds up the TV title and winks at the camera. 

Commercial Break 

Polynesian Power vs. The Blonde Bombers w/Johnny Valiant 

Both teams will be in the upcoming TNT tag title tournament. Pretty fun TV match. Tio and Tapu control early with body slams, chops and solid double teaming. Blondes come back, as Valiant trips Tio and Tio staggers into a snap suplex by Regal. Regal body slams Tio and tags in Rogers, who comes off the middle ropes with a knee drop 1..2..Kick Out. Rogers hits a backbreaker and follows with a double boot stomp then tags in Regal. They hit a double vertical suplex. Regal follows with a standing leg drop 1..2..Tapu makes the save. Rogers runs in and Tapu punches him to the corner. Meanwhile Regal swings Tio to the ropes and goes for a back drop but Tio kicks him. Tapu knocks Rogers through the ropes. Valiant runs over to help Rogers. Polynesian Power grab Regal, press him up and drop him with a free fall slam. Tio hits a body splash 1..2..3! Huge pop! 

Winners- Polynesian Power

Commercial Break 

Footage from last week is shown as George the Animal Steele attacks Mike Shaw and busts him open by slamming his head into the steel post. 

Pre recorded comments 

Shaw: (bandage on forehead) Hey Steele! I'm not going to be one of your victims. Yea, you busted me up pretty good but it's going to take a lot more than that to take Klondike Mike down. I'm coming for you Steele! 

AWA Southern Tag Champs, the Fabulous Ones are at the podium. Lance shows footage from last week as the Fabs were attacked by the Cuban Assassins. 

Fabs cut a passionate promo and say many teams have tried to take them out and they've all failed! They will be more than happy to put the titles on the line against them and they will be even happier to put a beating on them! 

Fabs exit and Bruiser Bob Sweetan enters. 

Sweetan: I'm back in TNT for one reason and one reason only. To win gold! I want in that tournament and I'm going to win it! 

Boos as Gene Anderson and Jumbo Tsuruta enter.

Gene: Hold on a second Bruiser. That's mighty bold talk. Jumbo Tsuruta will be in the tournament and you can bet he's the one who's going to win it. You were good in your day but those days are long gone. I realized my best days are done hence why I got my manager's license. Maybe it's time for you to do the same before you get hurt. 

Jumbo gives Sweetan a cold hard stare before exiting. 

Commercial Break 

Real Deal (McGhee/Vaughn) vs. Mr. Wrestling 2/3

Once again, 2 teams involved in the upcoming TNT tag title tournament. Solid back and forth match up. Real Deal uses their speed and quickness as Mr. Wrestling 2/3 use their technical skills mixed in with some rule breaking. Tempers flare a couple times as pier six brawls break out. The tide turns a couple more times as neither team can put the other away. 10 minutes isn't enough time as the bell rings, signaling a draw. Both teams stare at each other. Mr. Wrestling 2/3 point and warn the Real Deal that this isn't over. 

Official Ruling- Time Limit Draw

Commercial Break 

Gene Anderson is back out. Lance asks him what's on his mind.

Gene: As I mentioned earlier, I got my manager's license because why not use my wisdom to guide the right wrestlers to championships. Jumbo Tsuruta will be wearing gold. As everybody knows, nobody was a better tag team wrestler than myself. What I want is a tag team to manage. And I found one. Please welcome out the future TNT tag team champions, the Enforcers! 

Richard Charland and Bob DellaSerra walk out sporting matching silver jackets. Fans boo as they arrogantly smile. 

Gene: With my guidance, the Enforcers are going to run over all the so called competition here. Two men who better be on high alert are Denny Brown and Gino Brito. Boys, the Enforcers are coming and you better have eyes in the backs of your heads. 

Lance: Ok, Charland and DellaSerra are now the Enforcers led by Gene Anderson. That could be a very dangerous group. Back to the ring. 

Kansas Jayhawks vs. The Smith Brothers

Jayhawks make quick work as they hit a double clothesline for the win! 

Jayhawks cut a promo and say they're coming to Indiana to win the TNT tag titles and they hope they meet the Continental Cowboys there. Dutch cracks his whip as Jaggers grips his bullrope. 

Commercial Break 

Cocoa Samoa vs. Todd Rooney

Cocoa is all over Rooney. He swings him to the ropes and chops him down. Cocoa swings off the ropes and crashes down with a diving headbutt for the pin! Cocoa is celebrating with the fans when WHAM! He's nailed from behind by Hercules Ayala with a taped fist punch! Ayala puts his knee on Cocoa's chest, grabs his hair and punches away with taped fist punches. Prelim wrestlers hit the ring. Ayala rolls out of the ring and raises his taped fist to the booing crowd. 

These two will meet for the Brass Knuckles title tomorrow night in Nashville! 

Commercial Break 

George Wells vs. Vic Dutro

wells.jpg.d20cce11fdd9ab28b968e62f7f8b9638.jpg

Wells comes out with a new look. He's sporting a bald head and wearing football pants. Wells uses a variety of power moves to work over Dutro. Wells swings Dutro to the ropes and puts him down with a Sphere to get the dominating win! Wells heads to the podium.

Lance: George, I have to say I'm impressed with the new look and what you did in the ring. What's going on?

Wells: Lance, I have to say, I listened to the wrong people and made some mistakes. Losing that cage match forced me to see the light. It was time for George Wells to go back to his roots and find redemption.

There's a stir as Carl Fergie comes out.

Carl: George, I couldn't agree more. It's time we moved on and did things the right way. Good luck to you and brother if you ever need anything, I'm here for you.

Fergie extends his hand. George smiles and shakes it. Fergie pulls him in and clotheslines him down!

Lance: Whoa! What the h....

Fergie: Shut up! He was making me sick to my stomach! What a suck up sell out! George Wells is weak! Mr. Cool, Carl Fergie has been reborn and rejuvenated!

Fergie gives Wells a few stomps before leaving.

fergie.jpg.f93c65b6e22cfcd916c3f46ccfd3c126.jpg 

Commercial Break

TV Main Event 

If someone pins Terry Funk, they will win the TNT title. 

Jerry 'The King' Lawler/Superstar Bill Dundee/Dream Machine vs. TNT Champ Terry Funk and ?? 

The fans are on their feet cheering as Lawler, Dundee and Dream Machine are in the ring waiting. Mega boos as Terry Funk walks out with the TNT strap on his shoulder. Funk smiles and turns to the back. WOW! Out comes Adrian Adonis and Dick Murdoch! 

adonis.jpg.44984636a353e9597a657418e408a2b1.jpg  murdoch.jpg.debfebb3d99ba31fc5837b1d814eabbd.jpg

They hit the ring and a pier six brawl starts! The Ref finally gets control. The match is a back and forth wild fight. Dundee and Funk are the legal men. Dundee staggers Funk with his punches, winds up and punches Funk down. Dundee quickly goes to the top rope and crashes down with the Bomb's Away! Murdoch runs in as does Lawler. Murdoch punches Lawler and Lawler falls on Dundee to break the pin! Adonis and Dream Machine run in and hammer away on each other. Lawler gets up and punches Murdoch through the ropes. 

Dundee gets up, grabs Lawler and swings him around. Dundee is in Lawler's face. Lawler is explaining that Murdoch hit him. Funk staggers up and pushes Dundee into Lawler. Murdoch runs back in and sends Dream Machine through the ropes with a high knee. Murdoch and Adonis put the boots to Lawler and Dundee. The Ref has no choice but to ring the bell and disqualify Funk, Adonis and Murdoch. 

Winners by DQ- Jerry Lawler, Bill Dundee and Dream Machine

Funk quietly rolls out of the ring. He grabs his TNT title and smiles as Adonis and Murdoch continue to stomp away on Lawler and Dundee. Funk goes to the podium. 

Funk: I told everybody that this title stays with me by any means necessary. I'm the smartest champion in the entire AWA! I'm just going to let these idiots beat the hell out of each other. Nobody will beat me. Nobody! 

funk.png.969ae8dd903d66ba64eac48d5846e467.png

OMG...I genuinely popped when I saw Adonis/Murdoch were Funk's partners! That's awesome, I can't wait to see all the chaos they bring to TNT!!

I have a good feeling that DJ Peterson with fair well here, perhaps he will pursue the Television title like in Texas

I toyed with the idea of bringing in Gene Anderson as a manager but never pulled the trigger....I really like him here with Jumbo as a mouthpiece and manager....he will serve the Enforcers well also.

The Cuban Assassins may have the Fabs number but Stan/Steve are tough....this will be interesting to see if they can overcome the Cubans and hold on to the titles

Glad to see DJ in his new home! I have high hopes for him here!

The tag team division here is awesome, and the tournament for the TNT Tag Titles is going to be fantastic.

Glad to see that Austin Idol hasn't let the cheers of the crowd change him!

Speaking of tournaments, with the level of competition lining up to be in the Number One Contenders tournament, it is going to be something to see, and whoever comes out of it as the winner is going to be one hell of a challenge for the Funker.

The Enforcers arrive, a nice win for The Jayhawks, the draw.... Yeah, your tag team division is STACKED!

George Wells has a change of heart and looks to be on the straight and narrow. King Carl will make a nice first opponent, since he has a difference of opinion!

Oh Shit..... Funk found himself some partners....

Adonis and Murdoch hit the scene and shit goes nuts. A wild brawl from start to finish, and now the Lawler/Dundee seeds have been planted.

Terry Funk is the smartest man in the AWA.

TNT House Show @ The Nashville State Fairgrounds 8-3-84

'The Golden Boy' Jerry Grey w/Johnny Valiant defeated Marvin Young

Grey won the match with a Superplex.  

'The Ace' Art Crews defeated 'Downtown' Denny Brown

During a Ref bump, the Enforcers (Charland and DellaSerra) with Gene Anderson ran in the ring. The Enforcers nailed Brown with a double Hot Shot on the top rope. Crews covered as the Ref came to his senses to make the 3 count. After the match, the Enforcers continued to beat down Brown, hurled him outside the ring and double slammed him on the concrete.The Enforcers followed with knee drops from the apron.  Charland then picked up and held Brown as DellaSerra blasted him over the head with a chair, leaving Brown a bloody mess. Brown had to be stretchered out. 

Kansas Jayhawks defeated The Continental Cowboys

Hard hitting match that ended with Dutch and Orton brawling to the outside and Jaggers nailing Brooks in the ring with a Hangman's Neckbreaker for the pin! 

Jumbo Tsuruta w/Gene Anderson defeated Bruiser Bob Sweetan

Gene tripped Sweetan and Sweetan staggered into a kick in the mid section by Tsuruta followed by a Powerbomb for the win! 

Polynesian Power defeated The Blonde Bombers w/Johnny Valiant 

Tio and Tapu nailed Rogers with a battery ram for the pin! 

TV Title Bout 

'The Universal Heartthrob' Austin Idol (C) defeated 'Polish Power' Ivan Putski w/Ratamyus

Chaos broke out as the Cuban Assassins came to ringside but before they could do anything, the Fabulous Ones ran down and brawled with them. During the chaos, Idol caught Putski with a small package for the win! 

For the Brass Knuckles Title

Larry Hennig will present the title to the winner on the next TV show. 

Cocoa Samoa vs. Hercules Ayala

This was one of the most brutal matches ever to hit Nashville. At the 15 minute mark, both men were busted open and bleeding bad. Both men's taped fists were red. Cocoa had things going his way. He slammed Ayala, then went to the top rope and attempted a diving headbutt but Ayala moved at the last second. Cocoa was knocked out. Ayala staggered to his feat, lifted Cocoa up by his hair and knocked him down with a big right punch to get the win and title! 

ayala.jpg.c5833d3387eef59bc5dd45003733e725.jpg

Winner and the first TNT Brass Knuckles Champ- Hercules Ayala

TNT Champ Terry Funk/Adrian Adonis/Dick Murdoch 

Defeated

Jerry 'The King' Lawler/Superstar Bill Dundee/Dream Machine

These guys went hard for nearly 45 minutes. In the end, Funk took advantage of a Lawler/Dundee miscue and nailed Dundee with his branding iron to get the pin! 

AWA Southern Tag Team Title Bout

The Fabulous Ones (C) defeated The Cuban Assassins w/Ratamyus

In a wild ending, the Fabs hit dual sunset flips on the Cuban Assassins to get the win! Ratamyus and Ivan Putski hit the ring and put the boots to the Fabs. Austin Idol runs in and punches away on Putski. The Fabs regroup and put Ratamyus down with a double punch. Fabs then brawl with the Cuban Assassins all around the arena. 

TNT is in a great grove right now!

Love the new titles, especially the Brass Knuckles belt.

The new feuds including Wells and Fergie were nicely set up.

Someday we get to Funk vs Lawler.  Their empty Mid-South Coliseum was a cool idea in real life.

Murdoch and Adonis need some love in this game and I know you do them justice

Looks like Wells will have his hands full with Mr. Fergie

Heck of a 6 man with Adonis and Murdoch as the mystery guys. That match was filled with my faves....

On the house show, with the Fabs and the Cubans working the main, I don't know that I was a fan of seeing them run out during the Idol and Putski match earlier in the show. I get why they did, but being in the main event it seems like they all should have had bigger things to worry about. That said, I'm always happy when Idol Mania gets a win. 

Hoping Denny Brown can turn things around. I have a new found respect for his ability after watching those Bashes that were recently uploaded to the Network from 1986. He had a time limit draw with Steve Regal that was just phenomenal, I recommend anyone check it out. Very underrated and clearly talented when given the ability to shine.

Another couple of fun shows.

TNT Wrestling TV @ The Roanne Fieldhouse, Memphis TN 8-9-84

Footage is shown from Nashville as Hercules Ayala defeats Cocoa Samoa in a brutal and bloody contest to win the TNT Brass Knuckles Title.

Lance Russell: Hello wrestling fans and welcome to another edition of TNT wrestling here on the USA network. You saw at the top of the program, Hercules Ayala is the new Brass Knuckles Champion. Commissioner Larry Hennig will be out later to present the title to Ayala. Well, tomorrow night is the night 8 wrestlers have been waiting for as they will compete in a one night tournament. The winner of that tournament will be the number 1 contender to the TNT title. The tournament will be held in the Louisville Convention Center and here are the 8 names. Jerry Lawler, Bill Dundee, Dick Murdoch, Adrian Adonis, Dream Machine, Bob Sweetan, Jumbo Tsuruta and TV champ Austin Idol. Should be a great night of action. Well, let's get to the ring and see one of those competitors right now.

Dream Machine vs. Gary Williams 

machine.png.e180c5330c37db45d22411e07c479f58.png

Dream swings Williams to the ropes and puts him down with a back elbow smash. Dream body slams Williams then hops up on the middle ropes and drops an elbow for the pin! 

Dream cuts a promo and says he's winning the tournament and then going for the gold! 

Commercial Break 

'Bruiser' Bob Sweetan vs. Kent Stevens 

sweetan.jpg.13dce426d6223b51ed8c74024f966276.jpg

Bob tunes up for the tournament and really works his opponent over. Bob swings Stevens to the ropes and clotheslines him down. Bob hoists Stevens up and finishes him off with a piledriver for the pin! 

Bob heads to the podium and Lance asks him about Gene Anderson's remarks last week.

Bob: Yea, Gene thinks I'm washed up and should follow his lead and get out of in ring competition. Not going to happen! Gene might be done but I'm sure as hell not! I'm here to win the TNT title and my first stop is Louisville to win the tournament. Next stop...the TNT title! 

Commercial Break 

Lance: Fans, I have a big announcement for the card in Louisville. Terry Funk will defend the TNT title against my guest at this time, Tito Santana! 

The crowd pops as Tito comes out and raises his fist to them. 

952669628_tito.jpg.bef461f6971cad18dade05de3b9f5a68.jpg

Lance: Tito, I know you have to be excited to be back and be granted a rematch with Funk. 

Tito: Very pumped up Lance! Terry and I have unfinished business and for the last few weeks, the only thing on my mind has been that beating he gave me after our match. After he shook my hand! Funk! I'm coming for you and this time it's war! The title will be mine. Ariba! 

Boos as Terry Funk storms out. 

Funk: Once again the master manipulator gets his way.  You're a very stupid man Santana! The last beating I gave you was a warning and obviously you didn't learn. Doesn't surprise me as you people aren't very smart. 

Tito BLASTS Funk! The fans go crazy as Tito unloads and hammers away on Funk! Tito tackles Funk and just unloads with more punches. Several officials come out to help. 

Commercial Break

The Enforcers (Charland and DellaSerra) w/Gene Anderson vs. Sam and Sean Smith

charland.jpg.93c648b1eeeace464472486452b7cadf.jpgdellaserra.jpg.ae5c7c5600497d340632a1d3f371bb60.jpg

Total squash as the Enforcers just destroy the Smith Brothers. DellaSerra hits a vertical suplex and Charland crashes down off the middle ropes with a knee drop to get the pin! 

The fans boo as Gene leads the Enforcers to the podium.

Footage is shown from Nashville as The Enforcers interfered in the Denny Brown/Art Crews match. Enforcers severely beat down Brown and he leaves on a stretcher.

Lance: Just a despicable act. Denny Brown was set to team with Gino Brito in the upcoming TNT tag team title tournament. Now Denny will be out of action for awhile. However, I received word earlier this week that Gino Brito will have a partner and they will compete in the tournament.

Gene: (Laughs) We don't care who he gets! The Enforcers are walking away with the TNT titles. Now, Denny Brown stuck his nose in our business and then Denny Brown was carried out on a stretcher. If people want to help Brito then more people will be stretchered out. TNT better duly note that the Enforcers are here!  

Commercial Break 

Dick Murdoch vs. Todd Rooney 

Murdoch looks primed and ready for the tournament as he punishes Rooney. Murdoch easily finishes him off with the brainbuster. 

Murdoch cuts a promo and says the tournament will be to damn easy with sissys like Lawler and Dundee competing. 

Commercial Break 

Lance: Ok, please welcome out Jerry 'The King' Lawler! 

lawler.jpg.7202793afa6a4c006d2626dc2929d3ac.jpg

Huge pop! 

Lance: Jerry, I know you got a lot on your mind with the tournament tomorrow night but I have to ask, it seems you and Bill Dundee have had some miscues of late. Everything ok there? 

Lawler: Like you said Lance, they were simply miscues and nobody's fault. Rest assured I'm coming to Louisville to...

Cheers as Bill Dundee comes out. 

dundee.jpg.13ef523972778f5994d1bfb498397407.jpg

Bill: Lance, Jerry's right, simply miscues. We talked it over and everything is fine. My focus now is winning the tournament tomorrow night and Jerry, daddy, if I have to go through you to do it then that's what I'm going to do. It's for all the marbles baby! 

Jerry: (smiles) Bill, I wouldn't have it any other way. We have the same goal, if we didn't then we wouldn't belong here. Competition is what TNT is all about brother. 

The two shake hands as the fans cheer.

Lance: It will be very interesting if those two meet up in the tournament tomorrow night in Louisville. Fans, big match up when we come back. 

Commercial Break 

George Wells vs. 'Cool' Carl Fergie 

Both men were former  Hart Family cohorts. Last week, Wells came out with his new Football look and said he was looking for redemption. Fergie came out and agreed then decided to clothesline him during the handshake. That brings us to this grudge match.

The bell rings and the fists are flying! Wells gets the upper hand, swings Fergie to the ropes and back drops him. Fergie staggers up and Wells puts him down with a flying head scissors. Fergie staggers up again and Wells drop kicks him through the ropes. The fans are on their feet cheering. Fergie stumbles around and finally gets on the apron at the Ref's count of 8. Wells charges but Fergie hops down and starts yelling at the Ref to back him up. The Ref backs Wells up. Fergie gets on the apron, Wells runs over but Fergie rakes his eyes and snaps his head on the top rope. 

Fergie gets in the ring and hits Wells with several angry stomps. Fergie drags Wells over and chokes him on the ropes. Fergie grabs Well's head and rakes it across the top rope then flings Wells back. Fergie body slams Wells, swings off the ropes and drops a knee 1..2..Kick Out. Fergie berates the Ref then chokes away on Wells. Fergie hoists Wells up and holds him then suplexes him back. Fergie hops on the middle ropes and crashes down with a forearm drop 1..2..Kick Out! The fans cheer Wells on as Fergie tells them to Shut Up! Fergie picks up Wells and swings him into the turnbuckles and charges in but Wells puts his boot up and Fergie hits it face first.

Both men are regrouping and stagger up. Fergie(still dazed) grabs Wells and swings him to the ropes and goes for a back drop but Wells executes a sunset flip 1..2..3! Huge POP! 

Wells stands up and soaks in the cheers.

WHAM! Fergie sends him through the ropes with a high knee! Fergie goes to the outside and grabs a wooden chair. Wells slowly staggers up and Fergie shatters the chair over his head! Wells falls back and down. His head is busted open. Officials and medics come out to assist as Fergie raises his fist to the booing crowd. 

Commercial Break

Lance: Fans, we all just witnessed that brutal chair shot. George Wells is being looked at in the back. I'll try and keep you updated. Let's get back to the ring. 

'Man Mountain' Mike Shaw vs. Jason Rivers 

Shaw has been winning the fans over in recent weeks. A couple weeks ago he was attacked and busted open at the hands of George Steele. He looks great tonight and is set for action. 

Shaw swings Rivers into the turnbuckles and follows with a corner splash. Rivers slowly staggers forward. Shaw grabs him and scoop slams him down. Shaw swings off the ropes and hits the big splash for the decisive win! 

Shaw raises his arms in victory. The fans boo as George Steele hits the ring but Shaw turns around in time and the 2 monsters have a furious exchange! They fight through the ropes and around the ring. The fans are cheering big time as these guys really pummel away on each other and into the commercial break. 

Commercial Break

Lance: Oh my! Quite the brawl between Shaw and Steele. Those two are heading for an explosive match. Fans, lets go to the...wait a minute, it looks like I'll be joined by Art Crews. 

Crews: I'm not going to tell you again Lance. It's the ACE Art Crews! Got it! Now as I've told you, being the Ace means I'm the best at what I do. I'm so good I'm going to beat my opponent in less than 4 minutes tonight. I want every wrestler in the back to watch and learn. 

'The Ace' Art Crews vs. Keith Jergens 

The fans boo as Crews spins around in his jacket and points to the Ace on back. 

Once again Crews comes through on his promise as he finishes off his opponent with a running shoulder tackle in 3 minutes and 12 seconds. 

Lance: Another impressive win for the Ace Art Crews. Fans please welcome out the Commissioner of TNT, Larry the Axe Hennig.

The fans cheer as Larry (gym bag in hand) comes out waving. 

Larry: Thank you Lance. Let me get right to it. (Larry opens his bag and pulls out a championship title belt then holds it to the camera) If Hercules Ayala can come on out. 

Boos as Ayala (bandage on forehead) walks out and looks like an absolute beast. He glares at Lance and Hennig. 

Larry: Ayala, you went through a battle to earn this and it's my honor to reward to you the first TNT Brass Knuckles title. 

Ayala yanks it from Hennig, holds it up and roars! 

Commercial Break 

Adrian Adonis vs. Trent Watkins 

Adonis looks sharp tonight as he tunes up for the tournament. He severely works over Watkins before finally finishing him off with the Sleeper!

Adonis cuts a promo and says he's by far the toughest SOB in TNT and he's the one winning the tournament!

Lance: Ok, it all happens tomorrow night. Who will be the new number 1 contender to the TNT title and who will be the champ, Funk or Santana? Highlights will be shown next week until then, so long fans. 

Tomorrow Night- Louisville KY

8 man number one contender tournament

Lawler, Dundee, Murdoch, Adonis, Dream Machine, Sweetan, Tsuruta, Idol

plus

TNT Title Bout

Terry Funk (C) vs. Tito Santana  

Saturday 8-17-84

8 Team Tournament for the TNT Tag Team Titles

plus 

The Fabulous Ones (C) vs. The Cuban Assassins w/Ratamyus 

That tournament is stacked and should be a lot of fun.

Machine and Sweetan pick up some nice wins ahead of the tournament to start the night.

Tito returns and gets a rematch, but The Funker doesn't like it! That'll be a hell of a fight!

The Enforcers are turning out to be a nasty pair.

It's good to see Dicky Murdoch back in action.

I get the feeling this friendly Lawler and Dundee stuff is just about finished...

Wells picks up the victory over Fergie, but Cool Carl has the last laugh for now.

Shaw and Steele seem to be headed for a bloodbath. That'll be a real good time!!

Digging the Art Crews gimmick.

Adonis picks up a nice win, and it's awesome to see him being used outside of the Adorable gimmick.

Good show! Looking forward to both tournaments!!

TNT @ The Convention Center, Louisville KY 8-10-84

DJ Peterson defeated Kent Hawkins with a flying shoulder tackle from the top ropes to get the crowd going.

8-Man Tournament to determine the number one contender to the TNT Title

1st Round Matches-10 minute time limits

Jerry 'The King' Lawler defeated The Dream Machine 

Dream rolled up Lawler but Lawler kept the momentum going and rolled Dream over to get the pin. Afterwards Dream Machine gave Lawler a quick hand slap before leaving. 

Jumbo Tsuruta w/Gene Anderson defeated 'Bruiser' Bob Sweetan

Gene distracted Sweetan, when Sweetan turned around, Jumbo nailed him with a big boot to get the pin. 

TV Champ 'The Universal Heartthrob Austin Idol and Adrian Adonis fought to a draw.

10 minutes wasn't enough time as these guys battled back and forth. When the bell rang, tempers were still flaring and they kept fighting. Both men are eliminated from the tournament. 

'Superstar' Bill Dundee defeated Dick Murdoch by DQ

Dundee had things going his way until Murdoch nailed him with a lowblow in front of the Ref. 

Semi- Finals-30 minute time limit

Bill Dundee receives a bye into the finals.

Jerry 'The King' Lawler defeated Jumbo Tsuruta by count out 

Both men were fighting on the outside. Jumbo chopped Lawler and threw him back in the ring just as the Ref counted to 10. A furious Jumbo went in the ring and executed a powerbomb on Lawler before leaving. 

Non Tournament Match

Kansas Jayhawks defeated The Continental Cowboys 

During a pier six brawl, Orton sent Dutch through the ropes with a clothesline from behind. Brooks pounded away on Jaggers, then held him as Orton went to the top rope. Dutch staggered up to the apron and pushed Orton off just as Jaggers hit Brooks causing Orton to crash down on Brooks. Jaggers dropped an elbow on Brooks to get the pin! 

Tournament Finals- 45 minute time limit- Highlights

Jerry 'The KIng' Lawler vs. 'Superstar' Bill Dundee

Luckily both men had time to rest before the finals. Started off with a handshake. Match stayed clean for awhile but tempers began to flare as these guys went at it hard. During a spot, Dundee pick up Lawler and spun him around for a slam but Lawler's boot hit the Ref and knocked him down. Dundee slammed Lawler down, then went to the top rope and crashed down with the Bombs Away! Dundee covered but the Ref was still out. Dundee got up and went to wake the Ref up. This allowed time for Lawler to regroup. The Ref cleared the cobwebs just as Lawler began to rise. The match continued for a few more minutes as Dundee couldn't put Lawler away. Lawler got control when Dundee swung him to the corner and charged in but Lawler moved. Lawler picked up Dundee and slammed him down, then hopped on the middle ropes and came down with a fist drop to get the win! 

After the match, Lawler helped Dundee up. Dundee pushed Lawler off him. Lawler held his hands up and was talking to Dundee. After a minute, a disappointed Dundee took a deep breath and extended his hand to Lawler. Lawler nodded and the two shook hands as the fans cheered. 

Winner of the tournament and the number 1 contender to the TNT title- Jerry Lawler! 

lawler.jpg.7202793afa6a4c006d2626dc2929d3ac.jpg

TNT Title Bout- Highlights

Terry Funk (C) vs. Tito Santana 

These two put on a classic that went about 45 minutes. The match was a combination of brawling and scientific maneuvers. At the 40 minute mark, Tito was in control but Dick Murdoch  came to ringside. Tito hit Funk with a flying body press that sent both men over the top rope. On the other side, Murdoch got on the apron and distracted the Ref. Tito was slowly trying to stand as Funk reached over and grabbed a chair. Funk staggered up and nailed Tito's leg with the chair. The Ref turned around just as Funk hurled Tito back in the ring. Funk went in, grabbed Tito and clamped on the spinning toe hold! Tito already in extreme pain had no choice but to submit. Murdoch smiled as he went back up the aisle. 

Massive boos as the Ref hands Funk the TNT title and Funk raises it up high. 

Winner of the Match and still TNT Champion- Terry Funk 

funk.png.5cf1ed7856415855393878b9fac40059.png

Great stuff here in TNT for me to catch up on....I'm happy to see Hercules Ayala take the Brass Knucks title. 

Great tournament action to crown the #1 Contender, Lawler vs. Funk is going to be epic....I don't think Dundee is going to let this go that easy though. 

You my friend are the master of taking midcard or other wise forgotten guys and getting them over in no time.  Art Crews is catching on quick....good stuff.

I'm hoping we see more of Idol vs. Adonis....maybe next time for the TV title.

From the second I read that Ayala would be presented the title, I thought something crazy would happen but him ripping the title from Hennig was the only peaceful thing of this wild and crazy show.

The Enforcers are proving to be a tough team.

Nice win for Wells but Fergie made him pay for it.

From the TV show I had a feeling that we would see Lawler and Dundee in the finals of the tournament and somehow peace prevailed.... for NOW!

Some day I would love to see Murdoch get that big win.  I struggled to make him the superstar that he was in real life when I had him on my roster but he could be Main Event material.

Funk is proving to be THE MAN of TNT.  Santana gave it a good run but Murdoch came out and the numbers game took their toll.  Can Lawler ever take the top spot from Funk?  or is it better to keep them on seperate paths?  Both great choices and I am looking forward to seeing how you play it

TNT Wrestling TV @ The Roanne Fieldhouse, Memphis TN 8-16-84

Show opens with highlights of Jerry Lawler winning the tournament to become number one contender to the TNT title. 

Lance Russell: Hello everybody and welcome to another edition of TNT wrestling here on the USA network. Lot's to talk about tonight. Big main event as Jumbo Tsuruta takes on the Dream Machine. Ok, Jerry Lawler is now the number one contender to the TNT title. Big news as TNT will come to the Memphis Coliseum on Sept 2nd for a big Labor Day card. On that card, Terry Funk will defend the TNT title against Jerry Lawler. We'll be hearing from both men tonight. Another big tournament takes place this Saturday night as 8 teams will battle for the TNT tag team titles. Also on that card, the Fabulous Ones will defend their AWA southern tag titles against the Cuban Assassins managed by Ratamyus. So much happening let's...

The boos reign down. 

tully.jpg.93f8b29e0840b6a92c13994dd155a4ec.jpg

Tully Blanchard struts out wearing a suit. 

Lance: Well this is a surprise. Tully Blanchard is here. Tully, I thought you quit TNT? 

Tully: (Smirking) I actually almost missed you Lance. I went away and took a well deserved vacation. While I was sitting on a beach clearing my head it just hit me. For the past few months the higher ups in TNT have done nothing but disrespect me. That jackass of a commissioner Larry Hennig took away my TNT title shot. Yea, I got mad and I quit and I was right in doing that. So, you know what I decided to do? I went to the top of the AWA chain and had a long talk with Verne Gagne. Yea, that's right, I went way over Hennig's head. Right here in my hand is a signed contract which says on September 2nd at the Memphis Coliseum, Tully Blanchard will be wrestling Ted Dibiase for the AWA world title!!! 

Lance: Oh my, may I took a look at that?

Tully: (sticks it up to his face) See the signatures? Take a good look with all four of your eyes because it's a done deal! (laughs) I don't need TNT to get what I want. And when I beat Dibiase to win the world title, then I'll be calling the shots in the AWA. And believe me, Larry Hennig, you're going to wish you never disrespected me. AHHH today is a great day. 

Lance: Ok, what a blockbuster announcement. AWA world title will be on the line on September 2nd. Unbelievable. 

Polynesian Power vs. Sam and Sean Smith 

Tio and Tapu tune up for the TNT tag tournament. They look more than ready as they work over the Smith brothers with chops and slams. They finish off Sam with a battery ram to get the pin! 

Commercial Break 

Lance: Well we just saw Polynesian Power in action. They'll be competing in the TNT tag title tournament, Saturday night in Evansville Indiana. Couple of things to address regarding the tournament. As we all saw last week, the Enforcers injured Denny Brown. Brown was to team with Gino Brito in the tournament. Brito says he will have a partner. Also, Mr. Wrestling 2 was recently injured in a match. Mr. Wrestling 3 opted not to team with anybody else. Taking their spot in the tournament will be the team of Dick Murdoch and Adrian Adonis. Should be a great night of action to determine the first ever TNT tag team champions. 

Cuban Assassins w/Ratamyus vs. Curtis James and Frank Waters

Total squash as the Assassins just obliterate their opponents. They finally put them out of their misery with a double rib breaker to get the pin! 

Cubans cut a promo and say their not only going to take the titles from the Fabulous Ones but they're going to beat them within an inch of their lives! 

Commercial Break 

Real Deal vs. Gary Williams and Vic Dutro 

vaughn.png.197b919c0e8a67a4c75f889d2e525a90.pngscott.jpg.3f6f76d87ca20d78f14a6aaf81d3dbd4.jpg

Vaughn and McGhee tune up for the tournament and look sharp tonight as they work their opponents over with quick tags and high offensive maneuvers. They finish comes when Vaughn puts Dutro down with a missile dropkick and McGhee follows up with a German suplex for the pin! 

Real Deal cut a promo and say winning the TNT titles would be a dream come true and it's exactly why they came to TNT. 

Commercial Break 

'Polish Power' Ivan Putski w/Ratamyus vs. Harold Hollis 

putski.jpg.ab3ae2d168e653424cf434b709eed305.jpg

Ratamyus points to Hollis and looks at Putski. Putski storms over and just beats down Hollis. Putski swings him to the ropes and finishes him off with the Polish Hammer! Ratamyus gets in the ring and stares at Putski. Putski lifts Hollis up by his hair and hurls him over the top rope. 

Commercial Break

Footage is shown from Nashville as Terry Funk hits Tito Santana's leg with a chair then applies the spinning toe hold to retain the TNT title. 

Back live, Putski and Ratamyus are still in the ring. 

Lance: My guest at this time is Tito Santana. Tito, I know you must be disappointed but first how's the leg? 

Tito: The leg is in pretty bad shape but I should be back in action in a couple wee....

Ratamyus and Putski walk to the podium.

Putski: Tito! You're weak! I cant believe we were once friends. Why don't you get out of my way and limp on out of here while you still can. . 

Tito: Ivan, just what is going on with you? Don't let this man get in your head. Since when did you need somebody in control over you? I know the Ivan Putski I once teamed up with is in there. Ivan, let's go talk. Leave this man behind.

Ratamyus looks at Putski. Putski stares then turns to Tito and just rushes him! Putski mows Tito over then starts pounding away on him. Putski grabs Tito's injured leg and snaps it then drops an elbow on it. Ratamyus gets a chair and hands it to Ivan. Ivan slams the chair several times on Tito's leg before officials run out to stop this. 

Commercial break 

Lance: Fans, Tito Santana had to be stretchered out of here. His leg suffered tremendous punishment at the hands of Ivan Putski. I will keep you posted on his condition. Another wrestler who was viciously attacked last week was George Wells. He took a brutal chair shot from Carl Fergie after he just pinned Fergie. Wells suffered a concussion but will be back in action very soon. That's great news and I want to wish Tito a speedy recovery as well. Fans joining me now is the commissioner of TNT, Larry Hennig. Larry, how about what we heard earlier from Tully Blanchard?  

Larry: I already talked with Verne and he thinks Tully deserves a world title bout since he just had a long TV title reign. I didn't appreciate this happening without my consent but what's done is done. I'll be having a face to face meeting with Verne later this week to get some things squared away. Next up on my agenda, there's been a recent amount of chaos here on TNT television as we just witnessed. Things will get settled in the ring. As soon as George Wells is cleared he will have a match with Carl Fergie. Same goes for Tito Santana. He will get Putski one on one. While I'm here, next week there will be a 10 man battle royal. The winner of the match will get a TV title match with Austin Idol on September 2nd. This Labor Day card is turning into something special. 

Lance: It certainly is, fans back to the ring. 

Blonde Bombers w/Johnny Valiant vs. Kent Jackson and Todd Rooney 

goldie.jpg.de2b3237bf2c457a4122c4ab14451ef8.jpgregal.jpg.2ff6d726c52458291650af6b018ca399.jpg

Another match showcasing another team in the tournament. Regal executes a suplex on Jackson, then tags in Rogers. Rogers executes a backbreaker then goes to the middle ropes and crashes down with a double stomp to the chest to get the pin! 

Valiant cuts a promo and says his team is the future of TNT therefore it only makes sense that they win the tournament and TNT titles! 

Lance: Big win for the Blonde Bombers and big words from Johnny V. Joining me now is Mr. Wrestling 2 along with Mr. Wrestling 3. 

Wrestling 2: As everybody heard I suffered a knee injury in a match this week and will be out for awhile. Now, I know I'm getting up there in years and physically might not be what I once was but what I still have is knowledge and it's time to pour all this knowledge into Jessie Barr of course now known as Mr. Wrestling 3. He's the only man in TNT worthy of that name and mask. Mr. Wrestling 3 will be in the battle royal next week and then he's going to win the TV title. It's as simple as that. 

Commercial Break 

DJ Peterson vs. Trent Watkins 

DJ overpowers Watkins with a series of power moves. The fans boo as Killer Brooks comes to ringside. DJ glances at him but continues to work over Watkins. DJ slams him down then goes to the top rope. Watkins staggers up and DJ puts him down with a flying shoulder block to get the win! Brooks points up at DJ and gives him some kind of warning. DJ is a bit puzzled as he raises his fist in victory. 

Commercial Break 

AWA Southern Tag Champs The Fabulous Ones vs. Stu Jersky and Paul Killian 

Fabs look great tonight as the fans are on their feet cheering them on. Lane nails Stu with a supekick that sends him into a back suplex by Keirn for the pin! The Fabs are celebrating when the Cuban Assassins hit the ring! The Fabs are ready and the teams have a furious exchange into the commercial break. 

Commercial Break 

Lance: Wow, things are heated tonight. Those teams will face each other Saturday night in Indiana for the AWA Southern tag titles. Also that night will be the 8 team tournament to crown the TNT titles. Fans, it's time for our main event, should be a dandy. 

Jumbo Tsuruta w/Gene Anderson vs. The Dream Machine

Hard hitting match up as these guys have a slugfest to get things going. Jumbo chops away as Dream fires back with punches. Jumbo gets the upper hand as he chops Dream into the corner. Jumbo swings Dream into the opposite corner and follows with a running clothesline. Jumbo hip tosses Dream. Dream staggers up and Jumbo puts him down with a high knee 1..2..Dream gets his shoulder up. Jumbo swings Dream into the corner and charges in but Dream catches him with a back elbow and follows with a clothesline of his own. Both men are regrouping. Jumbo staggers up against the ropes, Dream charges with another clothesline that sends them both over the top rope. Both men are down as the Ref starts the count. Dream slowly rises but Gene nails him from behind! The Ref signals for the DQ. Jumbo staggers up and stomps away on Dream. Jumbo picks him up and powerbombs him on the concrete! The Ref is yelling at Jumbo. Gene shews him away, then escorts Jumbo out of there as the boos reign down. 

Winner by DQ- Dream Machine

Commercial Break 

Lance: My goodness! What is going on tonight? Another casualty as Dream Machine was seriously hurt. Boy did he take a hard hit on that concrete. I really hope he's ok. Well, please welcome out Jerry....

Boos as TNT Champ Terry Funk comes out with the title around his waist. 

Terry: Lawler! Get out here you egg sucking dog! 

Massive cheers as Lawler comes out. He stands across from Funk at the podium. 

Funk: All week long, I've been hearing Lawler this and Lawler that. Lawler's the king and now Lawler is going to win this title. Listen up Lawler! I wont ever call you King! This title says I'm the king around here. You're nothing Lawler! And there's no way in hell you're going to take this title from me! 

Lawler: Hold on Funk. What's your problem anyways? You were a champion I respected but recently you've proven nothing except that you're a paranoid coward! I am coming for you and in my hometown I'm going to beat you for that title. Plain and simple! 

As the fans cheer, Lawler acknowledges them. WHAM! Funk sucker punches Lawler! Funk goes crazy and pounds away on Lawler then drags him to the ring and hurls him in. Funk grabs a chair and starts to climb into the ring. Cheers as Bill Dundee grabs Funk and pulls him down and starts pounding away on him. Funk gets out of there and heads to the back. Dundee gets in the ring and helps Lawler as the show ends. 

Saturday Night, Evansville Indiana 

8 team tournament for the TNT tag team titles

Real Deal, Blonde Bombers, Polynesian Power, Kansas Jayhawks, Continental Cowboys, Enforcers, Brito and ?, Adonis/Murdoch

Also

Fabulous Ones (C) vs. Cuban Assassins w/Ratamyus 

Labor Day Card, Mid South Coliseum 9-2-84

AWA World Title Bout

Ted Dibiase (C) vs. Tully Blanchard 

TNT Title Bout

Terry Funk (C) vs. Jerry 'The King' Lawler 

Big night in TNT as all of the tag teams are gearing up for the tournament! I am rooting for the Jayhawks, but the smart money has to be on Adonis and Murdoch.

Fabulous Ones and the Cubans is going to be a war, and the Fabs are going to be lucky to make it out of that one in one piece, let alone with the belts.

Tully secures himself a shot at Dibiase, and good god, that's a match I'd like to be sitting front row for. I knew Blanchard wasn't going to take shit sitting down, and I get the feeling that the mind games with The Axe aren't done yet.

Man, Putski took out poor Tito, and I think he's spent most of his time here in TNT on the shelf. But when he comes back, he'll be fired up, and it should be one heck of a fight.

I'm as confused as DJ Peterson about what Killer Brooks wants, but Brooks is a crazy bastard, so DJ better watch himself.

Good Lord, Jumbo powerbombs Dream Machine on the concrete! The dream is over. Yikes.

and here comes my weekly dose of The Funker! Your paranoid Terry is just amazing, and this feud with Lawler is going to be one for the ages. Great brawl to end the show!

Looking forward to the tag tournament, and the Labor Day show is already shaping up to be a blockbuster.

• spaldoni changed the title to USWA