Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 01/14 - 01/20 Bolsonarism is taking us to the Middle Ages

KawadaSmile

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Ricky Jackson said:

I heard she didn't want to drop the strap in her hometown on the way out of the territory, and because she had creative control over her last 30 days they had to shoot the title off her 

I also heard that she didn't shake Taker's hand once while coughing and sneezing right in Vince's face right while he was shaving.

I binged on this week's Raw and Smackdown last night and survived. I loved the hell out of these shows.

It's great that they're trying to rehab Sasha. As long as fans forget how much she lost and how many times she's feuded with Bayley they can accept "The Boss" as a contender to Ronda. And anytime you have more than two or three competitive acts in a division is a bonus.

That three-way was awesome. Seth didn't annoy me and Bobby looked like a killer. When they replayed the clothesline to Dean and the freeze frame was on Bobby's menacing face, muscles tensed, about to come barreling at Dean at 100 mph I thought THAT is the Lashley they should be pushing. Lio being an annoying twerp who can flip and roll away from the faces is a cool part of the whole act.

And Dean sold that spear huge.

The main event was cool and did what it needed to do without going on too long. Drew is a monster, Cena is still somewhat "Super Cena" and Finn is a small guy who can hang with the heavies.

I saw the Rey and Adrade match after hearing everyone hype it for a few days and it was all kinds of awesome. It's great when they let guys have a good, long, competitive match and the crowd is into it. They made the big spots matter and didn't just lucha for lucha's sake.

The main event was inoffensive to me. It was quick and I kinda look forward to seeing what Sheamus and Cesaro do with or to The Miz and Shane at the Rumble.

As far as I can tell they're letting Becky be Becky and Asuka be Asuka and that's OK with me. I'm sure most of Becky's stuff is scripted but she actually comes across like a star instead of most everyone else seemingly at the mercy of the McMahons. I'll gladly take more of this.

I think the reason Becky is shining even if she is being scripted boils down to the fact IIRC Becky is actually a trained actress as well as wrestler. I think she was doing acting at the time when she was retired from the Indies before WWE came calling. That means she is going to know exactly how to be when she does a scripted promo. The WWE folks and all the talents that they have been signing up are people who generally do not have time or does not have the foresight to learn how to act. So Becky stood out for that reason when she was finally given the ball to prove herself.

I didn't get through all of SD, but I did see the opening segment. I don't think Lynch "nailed" any of it - her and Asuka had some pretty cheesy/corny lines and its not like either could be confused with Austin or The Rock in the charisma department. 

But I do think, as others have said before, when you're over and the fans want to cheer you and want to love you, you can get away with imperfect segments and not-so-hot delivery. 

Compare that to guys like Reigns, where part of the audience was just dying to say "What?" at every stop or come online and disparage him, and its clear as day. Is he really that much worse of a promo than AJ Styles? I don't think so. But AJ is over with strong fan support but I nary hear a bad word about his mic skills - which aren't terrible or anything, but as a babyface, he's kinda babyface Bret Hart-level in that he's delivering a to-the-point message, no frills, no comedy, just a clear message of intent. 

If anything, its that "clear message of intent" that WWE would be wise to instruct more performers to pull from. For example, Dean Ambrose doing comedy has made him a guy that fans wanted to cheer (even as a heel) into someone no one gives a shit about, but Dean Ambrose just coached to go out there and be threatening? I think he could pull that off.