flyonthewall2983

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/8/2019 at 1:18 PM, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

I just see it as a night in which an assortment of people who were once employed in the wrestling business get to talk for a while about their careers. I especially like hearing who they thank. I really liked Torrie giving a shout-out to Fit, and then people like Candice and Michelle McCool. Or Waltman thanking Bret for the Raw match they had. Remember when Lita just had a huge list of people to thank? "Manami Toyota.... I never met her".

Agreed Lita's was one of my favorite ever HOF speeches, great stories and Torrie was right up there with her.  Love all the shouts and the emotions of them when they show in crowd.

2 hours ago, El-P said:

Wait. So, Vince fired the writer who helped Bret put together his HOF speech because he mentioned his name ? Really ? What the fuck are these people smoking ?

The story now is that the writer (RD Evans, aka Archibald Peck/Mixed Martial Archie/probably some other crap in Chikara) quit. Apparently, Vince kicked Evans out of Gorilla after hearing Bret say his name, then Evans said that he'd do Vince one better and quit on the spot. Granted, that's not much better.

Notice the pattern here; in both cases, it's Vince's behavior that drove them both to their breaking point. At some point, you're gonna have to wonder which people's reaching their breaking point to change his attitude. Is there a Superstar who could rattle Vince's cage the way that Austin could do or Cena could? Has Roman reached that level?

4 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Notice the pattern here; in both cases, it's Vince's behavior that drove them both to their breaking point. At some point, you're gonna have to wonder which people's reaching their breaking point to change his attitude. Is there a Superstar who could rattle Vince's cage the way that Austin could do or Cena could? Has Roman reached that level?

I would say Roman is probably at that level, but he strikes me as a "I'm happy to be here, this company's employed my family for a long time and I don't want to rock the boat" guy. 

Austin's really the last top guy I remember who flat out told Vince he wasn't going to go with his stupid ideas (like when they wanted Austin to do a job to Coach). 

I'm sure Vince is an absolute nightmare of a boss, but none of this is new behavior. Anyone who takes a writing/producing gig knows this going in, which limits my sympathy for the HoF guy and Road Dogg. Tigers don't change their stripes - Vince is not going to stop changing scripts at the last minute, or having weird rules about what can and can't be said. 

3 hours ago, sek69 said:

I would say Roman is probably at that level, but he strikes me as a "I'm happy to be here, this company's employed my family for a long time and I don't want to rock the boat" guy. 

Austin's really the last top guy I remember who flat out told Vince he wasn't going to go with his stupid ideas (like when they wanted Austin to do a job to Coach). 

The answer is Brock.

Brock pretty much calls his shots and carries himself in the old Austin manner. If he doesn't want to do something, he isn't doing it.

And if he's doing anything, he's going to negotiate the fuck out of it.

Brock has been fed up with the wrestling carnival since as early as the winter of 2002, and he's had no fucks left to give ever since. Dude's been vocal in interviews, his book, etc. talking about how he's in it to make money, doesn't buy into the typical lifestyle bullshit, and doesn't want to become some zombie who can't walk away at anytime he pleases.

Say what you will about dedication or whatever, but I don't fault the guy. He recognized the red flags early and mapped out an escape plan as soon as it became an option.

28 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Road Dogg certainly knew what he was getting into, but there's no way Pat McAfee would have any prior knowledge since his prior gigs were NFL punter and Bad Take Sports Talk Guy. 

I can't really blame someone for blowing up at McAfee. Common sense should tell you that the biggest event of the year of the company that just hired you isn't the time to be fashion-forward.

12 hours ago, sek69 said:

Road Dogg certainly knew what he was getting into, but there's no way Pat McAfee would have any prior knowledge since his prior gigs were NFL punter and Bad Take Sports Talk Guy. 

That was Michael Cole, which is why I didn't mention him. (Besides, wearing shorts with a suit is objectively stupid no matter which NBA star was photographed once wearing them.) And given the stories nobodies like us hear, I would imagine McAfee has heard far more, and far worse.