• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/27/2019 at 2:19 PM, Microstatistics said:

How is Vader STILL not in?

some other seemingly obvious guys have taken forever to get in, but i have another theory...

possibly overreacting, but he's had sexual harassment accusations against him and Prichard's podcast talked a good bit on how he fancied himself a ladies' man and often got handsy with them.  wonder if they'd be scared of that in this climate, considering other recent events like the backlash to Nolan Bushnell winning an award

I hope that's not the reason. 

Not to say that if the accusations are true, they should be ignored. If they're true, by all means, keep him out.

But I searched "Vader Leon White sexual harassment" and "Vader Leon White sexual" and then I threw in the words "handsy" and "allegations" and everything else I could think of and...there were zero hits. I tried as hard as I could to dig up this dirt (which I'd never heard before) and couldn't find anything about it. It doesn't mean its not true or that if he was inducted, we wouldn't hear more about it...but where there's no smoke, there's no fire?

Aside from whatever Bruce described on his podcast (which does sound pretty damning), its not like there are infamous road stories about Vader's sexual appetite. Those stories would be easy to track down. The internet is full of them - some directly from the horse's mouth (search "Scott Levy Raven sex" - but not on a work computer - if you need proof). A couple years ago we all got video evidence of some of the consensual debauchery young wrestlers get into. But of all the road stories about Vader out there, none describe him as sexual aggressive.

So, if that is what is keeping him out, I'd be surprised.

On 3/25/2019 at 2:51 PM, C.S. said:

I am guessing he isn't in this year, because they started the HOF announcements with DX and ended with Hart Foundation. Seems like appropriate bookends. Beefcake being announced after would be weird.

I eagerly look forward to being quoted when I'm wrong though. :P

Edit: I wonder if Harlem Heat got the spot rumored/planned for Brutus "the fucking Barber" Beefcake? That would make sense, because I don't think there were any rumors about Harlem Heat going in before it happened, were there?

I'll quote myself. ;)

Good to see Honky, Anvil and Brutus both go in this year and get closer to filling out the 80s guys that deserve to be recognized. 

It's also a great year for the NWO.  I've kind of thought to myself that even though the big 3 didn't get a second induction yet, it seems like every inductee has NWO ties.  Started with Syxx and HBK, then Stevie and Booker, then Bret and now the Disciple! NWO 4 Life

32 minutes ago, funkdoc said:

wow yea, ridiculous that Lauper still isn't in.  she seems to be on good terms w/ them so don't think there's a deeper story there either

She might have some heat over comments she once made about how she thought getting involved in wrestling hurt her career.

LT would have been a perfect pick for the celebrity wing this year, but he's another one with sexual misconduct issues.

Going into the Legacy Wing this year, according to PWInsider:

-Bruiser Brody

-Wahoo McDaniel

-Luna Vachon

-SD Jones

-Professor Toru Tanaka

-Primo Carnera

-Joseph Cohen (MSG Network founder)

-Hisashi Shinma (former WWF President)

-"Playboy" Buddy Rose

That's (besides Carnera) quite a young group for the legacy wing. The youngest person (or rather the person with the latest birth date) so far was Hiro Matsuda, who was born in 1937. Most of those people were younger then him (in the case of Luna by 25 years). I suppose they won't put any wrestlers, who have passed away, into the hall of fame anymore, unless they were huge names (for the younger fans, that is).

5 hours ago, Robert S said:

That's (besides Carnera) quite a young group for the legacy wing. The youngest person (or rather the person with the latest birth date) so far was Hiro Matsuda, who was born in 1937. Most of those people were younger then him (in the case of Luna by 25 years). I suppose they won't put any wrestlers, who have passed away, into the hall of fame anymore, unless they were huge names (for the younger fans, that is).

Yeah, I been surprised by a lack of Luna, even posthumously, before this.

6 hours ago, Robert S said:

Cohen and Shinma are still alive, first ones not to be posthumously honored.

I imagine Cohen has moved on from The Garden, but that does seem rather odd to honor him in Barclays.

Also Cohen is second inductee without a Wiki page (one of last years who was from the 19th Century).  Can’t wait for “snarky” videos or whatnot mocking him, when its possible he was instrumental in getting the house shows televised on the network or something like that!

Weird that Shinma got in before Jack Tunney.  I mean I can see he had more IRL impact on the product, but due to the explosion of TV in the Rock ‘n Wrestling era, I’d thought Tunney would be the first kayfabe figurehead (yeah Gorilla, Sarge, Stooges, Shawn, and Trips (yet anyway, that’s part of his own eventual solo package) are not in based on any sort of kayfabe figurehead for TV and live event purposes positions) to be inshrined.

20 minutes ago, SteveJRogers said:

Can’t wait for “snarky” videos or whatnot mocking him, when its possible he was instrumental in getting the house shows televised on the network or something like that!

He was, which is why it's well deserved IMO. He also had a major hand in the USA Network, which is another reason why a lot of those Northeast house shows got simulcasted or aired via tape delay on there too.  I'm honestly kinda shocked he doesn't have a Wikipedia article because so many late 70s/early 80s sports television/programming moves have his fingerprints all over them, and he's the person who created the first ever national cable sports broadcasting contracts for the NBA, NHL, etc.  You'll hear very little bad words about him, he's a well regarded people person.

To bring it back to wrestling, later on he moved over to Los Angeles' Z-Channel to help with their re-haul and wanted to make a pay station for Los Angeles-area sports. One of his first moves was to get televised house shows to air on there too.  It didn't last long but he did get Jesse Ventura to do guest commentary spots on random matches throughout the shows.

He absolutely warrants inclusion and I'm glad he made it in but also kinda surprised about it.

I don't normally get to watch the Hall of Fame in full and might miss it this year too but I will absolutely set aside time to watch if they do a video on him (and SD Jones... and Buddy Rose... and... :D).  Do they do anything for the Legacy inductees?

23 minutes ago, CarpetCrawler said:

I don't normally get to watch the Hall of Fame in full and might miss it this year too but I will absolutely set aside time to watch if they do a video on him (and SD Jones... and Buddy Rose... and... :D).  Do they do anything for the Legacy inductees?

They each get a small narrated video.  At his age, unless he’s a NYC area resident, I don’t see Shinma showing up, but it would be interesting if Cohen is there to accept the honor live.