WWE NXT Takeover Phoenix

KawadaSmile

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As much as people are shitting on Ricochet for being a spot-monkey: is there anything to the War Raiders except high spots?

Bianca Belair should consider getting a new haircut. If you have to hold your braid during every fast sequence, your hair might be becoming a detriment to your work. Seriously, look for it. Once you see it you cannot unsee it. Maybe have a heel cut off here hair.

1 hour ago, Grimmas said:

Maybe next year they should add a NXT Rumble match to this TakeOver?

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

Please, no. Three Rumbles in one weekend would be overkill in the extreme.

I'd love this. No such thing as too many Rumbles IMO. It's one of the few matches that's almost always good.

(The year Bryan came in at #10 and got eliminated quickly was pretty fucking atrocious though.)

Ā 

16 minutes ago, Robert S said:

As much as people are shitting on Ricochet for being a spot-monkey: is there anything to the War Raiders except high spots?

Bianca Belair should consider getting a new haircut. If you have to hold your braid during every fast sequence, your hair might be becoming a detriment to your work. Seriously, look for it. Once you see it you cannot unsee it. Maybe have a heel cut off here hair.

The high spots are more impressive coming from Hanson.

I like Belair's hair. It's unique and gives others the opportunity to pull it, etc. (as we saw in the Shayna match). Still hoping for the spot that one poster suggested with her getting choked out by her own hair.

I'm not exactly afforded a ton of free time around my work schedule right now, so I'm working my way through this show bit by bit.

I loved the gimmicked up War Raiders entrance. I haven't been able to follow any weekly wrestling show in awhile, so this is the first time I've seen them in some time. I dig the "war" chant and devil's horns hand gesture. I'd love it if that got really over & stuck. Their music's a great fit for the act, too.

The tag match was aces. Killer pace, awesome teamwork, and just a hot, crowd-pleasing opener all around. Nothing to overly analyze or criticize here.

I don't want to be a pessimist, but part of me has to worry about how these guys will fare on the main roster. It's all too easy to imagine them getting over like gangbusters, because they looked tremendous here. But it's just as likely that they could be the next AOP. Or, worse yet, the Ascension. Of course there's a canyon of difference in terms of experience there, but I just have such little faith in this company anymore.

I'll be rooting for them though. I've been backing Rowe since I first saw him in my neck of the woods way back in the day, and Hanson is phenomenally fun as Bigelow 2.0.

Riddle/Ohno was okay. Just okay. I think I need to lower my expectations when it comes to Ohno in NXT. I keep thinking I've adjusted accordingly, but I guess I just haven't. Realistically, this won't ever be the Hero of 2015 again, despite how much I want him to show up like that again.

And look. Ohno's put on weight. It's noticeable. He never used to carry any of the weight gain around his face, but even that is starting to round out. I fucking LOVE Chris as a performer, and his body of work belongs among the very best in the business. But it's a tad silly to pretend not to see obvious things. I hate that we're suddenly supposed to not react to things we can plainly see. Yes. Some folks are fat. Yes. Some women are unattractive. People have ugly features. Others might notice them or point them out. This is human nature. Human beings notice attractive features, and they notice unattractive features. You can pretend you don't, but it's simply untrue. You do. We all do. It's just human nature. Plus, we *CAN* appreciate someone's positive attributes and still point out things that are clearly eyesores. One doesn't always directly correlate to the other.

Yes. Hero is fat (and growing). But he's also one of the smartest, most engaging workers of the last 20 years. Is what it is.

Anyway, Riddle's presentation doesn't do anything for me. I realize I may be in the minority on that, but yeah. It just looks, feels, and functions like an unpolished, unfinished act. Everything - from the entrance to the poses to the nickname - just seems undeveloped.

His work is solid and has been excellent at times. But this character and the way he's presented? Woof. Call me crazy, but I believe it'll die a quick death on the main roster if he's called up with this act. It's not a main event gimmick. It's a pre-show gimmick. I could see Vince putting it on par with the Hype Bros or the Fashion Police. It feels like that's the ceiling with this thing. Work will only get you so far on the main roster, and I don't know if it's enough with Riddle to overcome what looks like a truly goofy presentation.

I'm sure some of you will disagree, and that's fine. But seriously. The first time Vince sees him do that silly shoe-kickee spot and then strike that super-dramatic Orton pose on his knees? Fuck me. Game over. Right then & there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 11:28 AM, paul sosnowski said:

Nobody noticed that Johnny Gargano was dressed as Dark Phoenix?

Ā 

17 hours ago, tallmike said:

And Ciampa, who doesn't usually do the cosplay gear, did Wolverine.

This is all pretty rad. But, like, metaphorically it doesn't exactly fit since thankfully they're not being pushed as lovers. Still cool though.