Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 02/04 - 02/10 Bolsonaro is all abouth death squads baby

KawadaSmile

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rusev and Lana were on Lillian Garcia's podcast and while I didn't hear the full context, the bits I read sounded just heartbreaking. You can google it but here's some lowlights:

"It feels like I'm the only one who cares about [the US] title and I wanted to make it bigger. I wanted to make it what it was back when we wrestled John Cena for it. But it seems like every time someone else has it, nothing happens and now they're lost. The title is probably going to get lost again and I'm going to get lost too."

"I always want to see myself on the card...But I feel like, the more you hang around, the more you're forgotten. It doesn't matter how good you are...It doesn't matter what I do, I kinda end up with the same thing."

"I do want to look my best...I do want to be on top. I don't want to be forgotten...I do all these things but nothing changes...What am I supposed to do?...I'm just trying to do something to catch Vince McMahon's eye...We go, we pitch, we talk, he just never comes to anything."

"...when the whole Rusev Day [thing] started and everything. I thought it was my time...I keep talking to everybody, but nobody wanted to do anything. It's very frustrating. But still, as frustrating as it is, I'm like, alright, let's go to the gym. Let's get better, let's do whatever he can." (He goes on to joke that he's even begun Crossfit!)

I know Jericho tweeted that AEW isn't interested in every disgruntled talent in the WWE lockerroom, but man, Rusev is so good. And, at one point, he was one of the most over acts in the company. Those Rusev Day Chants, at various times in 2018, were louder or as loud than I've ever heard a crowd sound for Rollins. Its a shame that, for whatever reason, they don't see him as a top guy because I'm not sure what box he didn't check. 

Rusev and Lana is a star pairing. They can get over in AEW, can - and did - get over in WWE and there's absolutely no reason he wouldn't get over in ROH or NJPW or AJPW or NOAH.

He looks good, is intimidating when needed, has insane agility and is stronk. Him against Joe Doring or against the BJW big bois would be great stuff.

37 minutes ago, El-P said:

Rusev & Lana is definitely an act that would get over huge in AEW I believe. Of course the WWE would never let them go at this point, despite doing absolutely jackshit with them. The toxicity of this company has been established many many times.

I wonder when their contracts are up. Or if they can buy themselves out in some way.

I would assume it's pretty much a given Rusev's leaving when his deal is up, if not for AEW for anywhere else but WWE at this point. He tries to be upbeat on social media but you can see his frustration leaking through there as well. 

The cynical side of me thinks Vince is still mad his attempt to break him and Lana up didn't work (plus they had the nerve to get married IRL when they were split on TV). 

2 hours ago, El-P said:

Rusev & Lana is definitely an act that would get over huge in AEW I believe. Of course the WWE would never let them go at this point, despite doing absolutely jackshit with them. The toxicity of this company has been established many many times.

Rusev has been throwing out subliminals about his frustration with WWE creative long before AEW. He knows how good he is and how over he is with the audience. He needed to get out of the WWE Environment 2 years ago. He might primarily be a product of WWE system but he is a very good worker, he would do well in Japan. This also tells me that guys are more open to bring up Ideas to Vince himself.  People like New Day and other talent have talked about how they had stuff shut down by Vince and creative when they were trying to  get over. On that Austin podcast Vince gave the narrative that guys weren't taking initiative to get over and its obvious not true, I'm sure overall there are talent less likely to speak up and just go with the flow but its definitely not the entire locker room that is complacent.

As far as complacency among the talent goes, the example of Zack Ryder remains instructive. WWE went out of their way to kill him dead for the sin of getting over without permission. Dave has said that other wrestlers constantly point to him as a cautionary tale. As for Rusev, I can definitely see AEW as an option. It was Dusty who put Rusev and Lana together in the first place, so I figure he's tight with the Rhodes family.