Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 02/04 - 02/10 Bolsonaro is all abouth death squads baby

KawadaSmile

I suspect this isn't being talked about elsewhere because it doesn't tie in with popular internet narratives, but the huge drop in female viewership the last few months coincides almost exactly with Roman Reigns leaving the show. Raw losing its Very Handsome top male star being the main cause seems pretty logical to me.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Do we believe the Slaughter AWA-ESPN story?

That it came down to the AWA and Mid South to be on ESPN and they picked the AWA because they recognized Slaughter and no one in Mid South?  I believe it. An exec from ESPN in the mid 80s would have certainly been familiar with Sarge from his WWF run, and would not have known anyone from Mid South unless they read the Apter mags or subbed to the Observer.  Plus it's been almost entirely forgotten Sarge was popular from his run as a character on GI Joe at the time too. 

1 hour ago, Kadaveri said:

I suspect this isn't being talked about elsewhere because it doesn't tie in with popular internet narratives, but the huge drop in female viewership the last few months coincides almost exactly with Roman Reigns leaving the show. Raw losing its Very Handsome top male star being the main cause seems pretty logical to me.

I was thinking that as well but I think Dave has talked  about the loss of female viewers while Roman was still active

2 hours ago, Kadaveri said:

That's interesting and it's something not considered at all. It's almost like they were justified in pushing him all along.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

Coincides with the interest in Total Divas dropping way down apparently.

Get Nikki on the phone and start shilling her damn wine brand on Raw immediately

2 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

In the rematch at the Rumble, she loses fair and square without even a hint of controversy. Later that night, she weasels her way into the Rumble match and wins. She decides to run from Asuka and use her title shot to go after Ronda instead. And the WWE powers that be, who sat back and allowed her to enter a Rumble she had no business being in, are now trying to screw her for some reason. If you didn't already know and like Becky and weren't inured to WWE's storytelling incoherence, would you find any of this even remotely compelling? It'd be beside the point if she were bringing in new fans the way Hogan and Austin were, but there's zero evidence that such is the case.

I'm definitely less interested in Becky being this huge threat to Ronda Rousey considering she just tapped out to Asuka like that. I would love to see Ronda/Asuka at some point.

5 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Let's recall that Becky's current storyline arc began with her turning on Charlotte at Summerslam because she was upset about her constantly receiving title opportunities she didn't really earn (and even then, Charlotte did more to earn a title shot at Summerslam than Becky did to earn a slot in the Rumble). They feud for the title, which Becky wins. They then reconcile for no real reason other than it being the time of year when Smackdown wrestlers face Raw wrestlers in a series of matches that mean nothing and are never mentioned again. Becky loses the title to Asuka at TLC when Ronda interferes. In the rematch at the Rumble, she loses fair and square without even a hint of controversy. Later that night, she weasels her way into the Rumble match and wins. She decides to run from Asuka and use her title shot to go after Ronda instead. And the WWE powers that be, who sat back and allowed her to enter a Rumble she had no business being in, are now trying to screw her for some reason. If you didn't already know and like Becky and weren't inured to WWE's storytelling incoherence, would you find any of this even remotely compelling? It'd be beside the point if she were bringing in new fans the way Hogan and Austin were, but there's zero evidence that such is the case.

Um, this is a really shitty interpretation.

Nia Jax weaseled her way into the men’s rumble because she attacked someone who wasn’t expecting it and took there spot. Zayn weaseled her way into the last Rumble with him and Owens taking out Dillinger. Becky didn’t attack Lana. Lana got hurt in something unrelated and was attacked by someone she had a personal beef with during the match. Becky didn’t “weasel” into anything, she noticed an opportunity and took it. Resourcefulness isn’t a heel exclusive trait. And she chose Ronda because she has personal beef with Ronda.

Your take is bad.

The fact that your objection is rooted in semantic quibbling says it all.

Guys, there's nothing wrong with admitting that you're willing to overlook typical crappy WWE booking because it's (hopefully) leading to a positive end result for a change. There's no need to bend over backwards to insist that Bad Storytelling Is Actually Good.

9 hours ago, Alucard said:

I'm definitely less interested in Becky being this huge threat to Ronda Rousey considering she just tapped out to Asuka like that. I would love to see Ronda/Asuka at some point.

I'm fully in support of the Becky push but, in my post in the last page, made sure to note that the booking of it hasn't been perfect. To me, the clean loss to Asuka (and decision not to challenge her at Mania) is the one thing that is really hard to defend. I understand that Asuka needed the win, but considering they ended the Women's Rumble with a knee injury angle, they could've had Becky injure her knee against Asuka and lose by ref's decision that she can no longer compete (or count-out). Later in the show, you cut backstage and maybe have Rousey walk by Becky as she is being checked by a doctor and Finlay. Ronda doesn't need to say anything. Just a smirk in Becky's direction would be enough to get over the idea that these two still have beef and Becky is furious, wants into the Rumble, and has more personal animosity against Rousey than Asuka*. Having Finlay there to witness the interaction would subtly imply his respect for the fighting spirit of Becky and foreshadow his decision to let her into the Rumble later. 

* In this scenario, Asuka doesn't injure Lynch's knee intentionally with repeated strikes or submissions. Its more like Lynch lands badly out of the ring - the kind of injury that isn't meant to lead to a revenge storyline and is sold more like an occupational hazard that could've happened to anyone regardless of opponent.

16 hours ago, DMJ said:

I'm fully in support of the Becky push but, in my post in the last page, made sure to note that the booking of it hasn't been perfect. To me, the clean loss to Asuka (and decision not to challenge her at Mania) is the one thing that is really hard to defend. I understand that Asuka needed the win, but considering they ended the Women's Rumble with a knee injury angle, they could've had Becky injure her knee against Asuka and lose by ref's decision that she can no longer compete (or count-out). Later in the show, you cut backstage and maybe have Rousey walk by Becky as she is being checked by a doctor and Finlay. Ronda doesn't need to say anything. Just a smirk in Becky's direction would be enough to get over the idea that these two still have beef and Becky is furious, wants into the Rumble, and has more personal animosity against Rousey than Asuka*. Having Finlay there to witness the interaction would subtly imply his respect for the fighting spirit of Becky and foreshadow his decision to let her into the Rumble later. 

* In this scenario, Asuka doesn't injure Lynch's knee intentionally with repeated strikes or submissions. Its more like Lynch lands badly out of the ring - the kind of injury that isn't meant to lead to a revenge storyline and is sold more like an occupational hazard that could've happened to anyone regardless of opponent.

I agree. I think the clean tapout was the absolute last outcome they should've went with where just about anything would've been better and still give Asuka the big win whether it's a flash pin, passing out in submission but not tapping, or a countout or ref stoppage as you mentioned. But tapping out right before challenging Ronda Rousey sucks. Felt like a real momentum killer and then winning the Rumble by coming out last after Charlotte worked 45+, just blah.

On 2/6/2019 at 7:26 PM, El-P said:

Coincides with the interest in Total Divas dropping way down apparently.

Maybe Roman being gone made them too sad to watch anything WWE-related.

But seriously, I don't know why anyone would expect women's wrestling to draw in female viewers. I can't think of any sport where the women are more popular than the men even among female fans. I guess stuff like gymnastics and figure skating.

On 2/7/2019 at 5:40 AM, FMKK said:

But it isn't bad storytelling 

OK, lay it out for me then. If I'm somewhat new to WWE and aren't thoroughly familiar with the histories of Becky Lynch the character or Rebecca Quin the person, how is all this supposed to get me behind her and want me to see her succeed? Honestly, the only way it even begins to make sense is if it's leading to Charlotte being added to the match, but nobody seems to want to address that elephant in the room.

9 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

But seriously, I don't know why anyone would expect women's wrestling to draw in female viewers. I can't think of any sport where the women are more popular than the men even among female fans. I guess stuff like gymnastics and figure skating.

It has always bummed me out that all female indie shows in the US/UK/Europe are attended by less women than standard indie Wrestling shows. Pro Wrestling Eve in London leans very hard on feminism, left wing politics, inclusion etc but gender diversity wise their crowds are only slightly better than SHIMMER. 

Intergender Wrestling seems to resonate more with the female indie Wrestling fans that I know.

15 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

But seriously, I don't know why anyone would expect women's wrestling to draw in female viewers.

Well, yeah, that too.

_Zenjo in the 80's was pretty much all female (and schoolgirls mind you) audience (because Chiggy drama).

_Zenjo in the 90's was pretty much a male audience (because workrate and idol looking workers).

_Old territories with zilch women's wrestling had tons of female viewers (because blow-job babyfaces).

The idea that women absolutely want to watch women because #feminism #empowerment #whateverthefuckhastagoftheday is kinda simplistic (to stay polite) indeed, really. Maybe people in general, whatever their genres and sexual preferences, just want something that actually interests them in some degrees and aren't obsessed with identity politics, ya know.

39 minutes ago, Stiva said:

Regardless of whatever the hell is happening here, Steph doing her husbands trick of latching on to anyone who is hot is disappointing but not completely unexpected.

This is the thing now and forever though, right?  Since Austin vs. McMahon, these guys have convinced themselves that a Main Event level storyline can't really be interesting to the fans or compelling, unless they are somehow involved.  Remember the Main Event of Wrestlemania 2000?  A Fatal 4 Way with The Rock, Triple H, The Big Show and Mick Foley for the WWF Championship wasn't good enough...there had to be a "McMahon in every corner!"  I'm not a huge Mick Foley fan, but I found it interesting in his book The Hardcore Diaries when he talked about pitching stories and angles to Vince and the Creative Team, only to find that the sole focus of Vince and everybody else was the angle between Vince & Shane vs. Hunter & Shawn. Nothing else deserved attention, because come on...three McMahons in one angle!  And when the roster was beat up and there was nobody to fight The Undertaker a few years ago, don't bother elevating somebody into that spot to make a new star...no!  We need Shane back.  Whenever anything starts to gain momentum or get popular, it's now pretty much a foregone conclusion that it's only a matter of time until a McMahon shows up to insert themselves.  I honestly think these people have deluded themselves into thinking that is what the fans really want to see.