Pro Wrestling Only

WWE/NXT 2010s MOTD List

Stiva

There's probably a more elegant way to phrase it than the thread title but I feel that this could be a pretty great ballot list if we had enough people committed to it. The 10s have to be the most consistent decade for WWE in-ring work ever, right? Granted, thanks to the sheer amount of TV/PPV/Network time they've accrued in the past decade, that's easier than it's ever been but still, it's a decade of work that is insanely stacked and I'd love to see a ton of people ordering lists and discussing things as the dust settles. Obviously, there's the whole of 2019 to go but this year seems like it's not going to let up so why not start now?

My early, obvious contender for #1 is the Wyatts/Shield 6-man from Elimination Chamber 2014 but I think this could be a hell of a rewarding deep dive.

Punk/Lesnar has been my WWE MOTD (and overall MOTD) from the moment I saw it, and I can't imagine anything that would compel me to reconsider that view. Cena/Lesnar from Extreme Rules is my #2. I'm not sure what my order would be after that, but Bryan/Sheamus 2/3 falls, Bryan/HHH, Lesnar/Reigns from WM31, Bayley/Sasha Ironman, DIY/Revival 2/3 falls, and Lesnar/Styles would all definitely make my top 10.

1 hour ago, Stiva said:

Wyatts/Shield 6-man from Elimination Chamber 2014 

17 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Punk/Lesnar

Cena/Lesnar from Extreme Rules

Bryan/Sheamus 2/3 falls

Bryan/HHH

Lesnar/Reigns

Bayley/Sasha Ironman

DIY/Revival 2/3 falls

Lesnar/Styles

These are all solid nominations. I would add the Rhodes Family vs. The Shield from Battleground 2013, The Shield vs. Team Hell No & Ryback TLC, Bryan-Lesnar, and Punk-Cena from RAW.

The Ronda Rousey debut at Mania is somewhere in the mix too.

1 hour ago, peachchaos said:

These are all solid nominations. I would add the Rhodes Family vs. The Shield from Battleground 2013, The Shield vs. Team Hell No & Ryback TLC, Bryan-Lesnar, and Punk-Cena from RAW.

The Ronda Rousey debut at Mania is somewhere in the mix too.

All solid picks that line up with my thinking.  I would have to throw Gargano vs Almas from last year NXT as well.

I think Bryan vs Cena at Summerslam 13' has aged very nicely and it's a good nomination too.

Punk vs Cena at MITB is an obvious contender imo.

Ciampa vs Gargano at Takeover: NOLA

Sasha vs Bailey at Takeoveerr: Brooklyn

Sami Zayn vs Shinsuke Nakamura at Takeover: Dallas

I'd have to rewatch Cody & Goldust vs The Shield at Battleground 2013, I remember it being pretty damn special though.

On that note, are any of the Cesaro vs Zayn matches are worthy? What about Bryan vs Wyatt at the Rumble? Seems like a nice project for some rewatches, but if I'm honest I'm just too lazy to do it.

Bray Wyatt vs. Daniel Bryan was a pretty great match but not a MOTD contender imo, more remarkable for that Bray hasn't had a singles match anywhere near as good ever again. Cesaro vs. Sami Zayn at NXT: Arrival is more worthy of consideration.

If I had to do a Top 20 ballot for the decade here's what it'd look like:

1. Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena - Extreme Rules 2012
2. CM Punk vs. John Cena - Money In The Bank 2011
3. Andrade Cien Almas vs. Johnny Gargano - NXT Takeover: Philadelphia
4. AJ Styles vs. John Cena - Royal Rumble 2017
5. The Shield vs. The Wyatts - Elimination Chamber 2014
6. Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena - Summerslam 2013
7. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks - NXT Takeover: Brooklyn
8. DIY vs. The Revival - NXT Takeover: Toronto
9. Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns - Wrestlemania 31
10. Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk - Summerslam 2013
11. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks - NXT Takeover: Respect
12. Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H - Wrestlemania 30
13. Sami Zayn vs. Shinsuke Nakamura - NXT Takeover: Dallas
14. AJ Styles vs. Roman Reigns - Extreme Rules 2016
15. Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn - NXT Takeover: R-Evolution
16. AJ Styles vs. Brock Lesnar - Survivor Series 2017
17. Johnny Gargano vs. Tommaso Ciampa - NXT Takeover: New Orleans
18. Becky Lynch vs. Sasha Banks - NXT Takeover: Unstoppable
19. CM Punk vs. The Undertaker - Wrestlemania 29
20. Charlotte Flair vs. Sasha Banks - Raw 11/28/16

Sheamus' matches against The Big Show (Hell In A Cell 2012) and Daniel Bryan (Extreme Rules 2012) just miss out but are certainly worth checking out.

From memory, the true greatest match I've seen in the WWE in this decade were :

Andrade Cien Almas vs. Johnny Gargano

John Cena vs AJ Styles (from Rumble)

Sami Zayn vs Nakamura (from Takeover Dallas)

I had loved that first women HITC match (Charlotte vs Sasha), but I have no idea how it would hold up today, I kinda fear it was a bit rated on a curve back then.

2010 - TBD

2011 - CM Punk vs. John Centa (MITB)

2012 - John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar (Extreme Rules)

2013 - CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar (Summerslam)

2014 - Daniel Bryan vs. HHH (WrestleMania)

2015 - TBD

2016 - Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar (Survivor Series)

2017 - TBD

2018 - TBD

2019 - Rey Misterio Jr. vs. Andrade (Smackdown - 1/15)

These are the matches I'd consider candidates for MOTD.  All of these would make my list of top all time matches and come in at 4.75 or 5 stars.

Cena vs. Punk -- MITB 2011

Cena vs. Lesnar -- Extreme Rules 2012

Bryan vs. Cena -- Summerslam 

Bryan vs. HHH -- Mania 30

Bryan vs. Reigns -- Fastlane 2015

Reigns vs. Lesnar -- Mania 31

Sasha vs. Bayley -- Iron Man

Reigns vs. AJ -- Extreme Rules 2016

Revival vs. DIY -- Takeover Brooklyn

Revival vs. DIY -- Takeover Toronto

Gargano vs. Almas -- Takeover Philadelphia

Cena-Lesnar: Extreme Rules 2012

Bryan-Cena: Summerslam 2013

Bryan-Triple H: WrestleMania 30

Brock-Cena-Rollins: Royal Rumble 2015

Sasha-Bayley: Takeover: Brooklyn

Sasha-Bayley: Takeover: Respect

Zayn-Nakamura: NXT Takeover: Dallas

A.J.-Roman: Extreme Rules 2016

#DIY-Revival: NXT Takeover: Toronto

A.J.-Cena: Royal Rumble 2017

Gargano-Almas: Takeover: Philadelphia

Gargano-Ciampa: Takeover: New Orleans

Gargano-Ciampa: Takeover: Chicago II

8 hours ago, El-P said:

I had loved that first women HITC match (Charlotte vs Sasha), but I have no idea how it would hold up today, I kinda fear it was a bit rated on a curve back then.

This is exactly the kind of discussion I want. The WWE house style has moved on so much since the start of the decade that I think matches like Christian vs Big Zeke may hold up stronger because of the distance than Charlotte vs Sasha in the cell. Either way, I'd love us all to dive in and make a phenomenal comp-worthy list.

With it being almost five years removed from Bryan-Triple H, I think I'm honing in on the fact that it's my favorite modern match. The face/heel dynamics, the picture-perfect storyline heading in, combined with flawless execution of a technical masterpiece all leading into a universally feel good moment make it hard to beat for me. Seriously, the crossface chickenwing? 

Cena-Punk MITB has the WMVII feel good finish to it too, but Punk's journey just doesn't have the weight for me personally. Would have been amazing if he had just left wrestling at that point. Bryan at 30 is the closest I've seen to Terry Funk in All Japan in terms of emotional investment that connects with me. 

So many other great matches from this decade though. Crazy to think of what's in store for us in 2019. 

On 2/16/2019 at 8:11 AM, Jmare007 said:

On that note, are any of the Cesaro vs Zayn matches are worthy? What about Bryan vs Wyatt at the Rumble? Seems like a nice project for some rewatches, but if I'm honest I'm just too lazy to do it.

Bryan-Wyatt I think is a great match that often gets overlooked and doesn't get enough love.

17 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Nobody's mentioned any matches before the Summer of Punk. HBK/Undertaker is an obvious candidate, but what else? Bryan/Miz at Night of Champions was probably their best match together, but I don't know if it's MOTD level.

Rey/Taker at Rumble is better than the Michaels rematch. Rey/Punk from Extreme Rules is solid. Best early Daniel Bryan is probably Bragging Rights against Ziggler. Don't think any of them are serious contenders really.

Bryan vs. HHH (WrestleMania 30)
Bryan vs. Lesnar (Survivor Series 2018)
Styles vs. Lesnar (Survivor Series 2017)
Zayn vs. Nakamura (NXT TakeOver: Dallas)
Shield vs. Bryan, Kane & Ryback (TLC 2012)
Bryan vs. Cena (SummerSlam 2013)
Cesaro vs. Zayn (NXT ArRival)
Wilder & Dawson vs. Ciampa & Gargano (NXT TakeOver: Toronto)
O'Reilly & Strong vs. Seven & Bate (NXT TV 06/11/18)
Michaels vs. Taker (WrestleMania 26)
Bryan vs. Sheamus (Extreme Rules 2012)
Punk vs. Cena (MITB 2011)
Ohno vs. Regal (NXT 2013)
Cesaro vs. Regal (NXT 2013)
Cena vs. Lesnar (Extreme Rules 2012 & SummerSlam 2014)
Strowman vs. Reigns (Payback 2017)

^ Off the top of my head, those would be my picks, but obviously I would need to re-watch quite a lot to actually put the list into order & all.