Wrestling Television

WTVY Ch. 4 Studio

Dothan, Alabama

Airing at 1pm on Saturday June 15, 1984

Hosted by Charlie Platt & Ronnie P. Gossett

Interviews: Rick Stewart

AWA Southeastern Commissioner: Les Thatcher

TV Recap:

The show opens with highlights from June Jam 3 as 41,000 fans saw Al Madril defeat Wendell Cooley using a chain to win the Mississippi Championship, Johnny Rich/Steve Armstrong defeating the Nightmares and then shaving their heads much to the delight of the fans, Brad Armstrong winning the AWA World Light Heavyweight championship from Dynamite Kid in one of the greatest matches of the AWA in 1984, and "Bullet" Bob Armstrong pinning "Nature Boy" Ric Flair to win the Southeastern Heavyweight Championship! We then cut to the opening montage…..

Charlie Platt welcomes everyone to the show as Gossett cuts him saying what a disappointment June Jam was with all the "travesties" that took place such as the Nightmares being "stripped of their hair and their dignity while drunken rednecks laughed and cheered"…..the greatest champion in the AWA, Ric Flair being robbed by Bob Armstrong….and "the only upshot was my close personal amigo Alberto Madril beating that dime store wannabe cowboy Dwindle Cooley for the Mississippi title!"  Platt says that's Gossett's opinion and most folks are super excited about what took place in Ft. Payne, Alabama last week.

MATCH #1:

"Wildcat" Wendell Cooley pinned Randy Watson after a running bulldog

Cooley joins Rick Stewart and cuts a fiery promo about getting screwed out of his Mississippi title and said that he spoke to the Commish, Les Thatcher and since Al Madril likes chains so much tonight's championship rematch will be a 'Chain Match'!  Al Madril came storming out saying there's no in hell this is happening and demands to speak to Thatcher….Les comes out and confirms tonight's title match will in deed be a chain match and if Madril doesn't want to do it he can forfeit the title and leave the promotion….Madril clutched his chest…and said "fine, but if anything happens….the blood is on your hands."

COMMERCIAL BREAK

MATCH #2:

Super Ninja w/Mr. Fuji & Skandor Akbar vs. Mike Jackson

Ninja looked to have Jackson beat…..but Fuji kept getting up on the apron telling him to inflict more punishment on Jackson…..after a couple of times….Ninja went over and shoved Fuji…who shoved him back causing him to trip over Jackson who hooked his legs and got the surprise pinfall!!

Post match: Akbar/Fuji are irate…..Akbar gets a microphone and tells Ninja that he's "screwed up for the last time"….Ninja grabbed Akbar by the collar….but One Man Gang hits the ring and attacks Super Ninja…..he hooks Ninja's arms behind him and holds him as Fuji slaps him a couple of times and then pulls the mask off revealing Ron Slinker, they beat Slinker down and leave him in the ring

VTR: The Nightmares who refused to appear in studio today due to their "situation"….appear on this video which appears to have been shot moments after having their heads were shaved as they have towels over their heads and are irate…..they demand to face Johnny Rich and Steve Armstrong in a match where the losers get 'tarred and feathered' so they can experience at least a portion of the humiliation they have getting their heads shaved.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

MATCH #3

U.S. Jr. Heavyweight Championship

"Hustler" Rip Rogers w/Ms. Brenda Britton & Masked Thunderbolt defeated The Blue Cyclone with a swinging neck breaker

Post match: Rick Stewart interviews Rogers who still insists that Masked Thunderbolt is Thunderbolt Patterson and he's incensed that Scott Armstrong has brought out some masked man that stuck his nose in his business….He says that whoever this masked guy is with Scott Armstrong, he's going to be handcuffed to Masked Thunderbolt tonight at the Houston County Farm Center.  Scott Armstrong comes out followed by his masked friend….Scott asks Rogers if he's seriously going to continue this charade that Masked Thunderbolt is Thunderbolt Patterson…..Rogers insists this is no charade, this is Thunderbolt Patterson!  Armstrong replies, "Oh really??"….and with that the masked man with Scott removes his mask to reveal……..THUNDERBOLT PATTERSON!  A wild brawl ensues between all four….that has to be broken up by security….

Just as that situation is being settled down…..Ron Slinker storms out to the desk and grabs the mic….he says that if the One Man Gang wants a piece of him then instead of jumping him from behind, he can "bring his fat butt down there tonight and we'll see what's what."

Promo airs promoting tonight's card in Dothan as well as tomorrow's TAG WAR '84 card in Pensacola, Florida.

MATCH #4:

AWA World Light Heavyweight Champion Brad Armstrong pinned Roy Lee Welch following a 'Russian Leg Sweep'

VTR: Paul Ellering and the Road Warriors are standing in front of a wall with the AWA logo.  Paul Ellering says that Hawk and Animal have not forgotten what Kabuki and Nagasaki did at the June Jam and if they think we're just going to go back around the world defending the tag titles and not come back seeking revenge….they are wrong….dead wrong.  Hawk says "Kabuki signed his death warrant when he spit whatever that was in his face last week……and next week on June 22nd…the Warriors will be in Dothan, Alabama and we're going to have you two in a Steel Cage and maybe I bite Kabuki's head off and spit at Nagasaki!"

MATCH #5:

MAIN EVENT

Terry 'Bam Bam' Gordy defeated "Nature Boy" Ric Flair w/Paul Jones by count out when Flair got mad and walked out on the match saying…."we'll finish this tonight in the six man tag!"

© 1984 Southeastern Championship Wrestling

======================================

Southeastern Championship Wrestling

Houston County Farm Center

Dothan, Alabama

Saturday June 15, 1984

Bell time: 8:30pm

"Exotic" Adrian Street w/Ms. Linda defeated Tommy Gilbert by submission with a Boston Crab

"Cowboy" Don Bass/"Dirty White Boy" Tony Anthony defeated Bugsy McGraw/Brickhouse Brown when DWB pinned McGraw with his feet on the ropes

Ron Slinker w/Tojo Yamamoto defeated One Man Gang w/Skandor Akbar by DQ when Gang shoved the referee down when he tried to break a choke hold

U.S. Jr Heavyweight Title
Masked Thunderbolt handcuffed to Thunderbolt Patterson at ringside

Scott Armstrong pinned "Hustler" Rip Rogers w/Ms. Brenda after a super kick to win the championship

Mississippi Heavyweight Championship

Chain Match

"Latin Lover" Al Madril vs. "Wildcat" Wendell Cooley was stopped due to a medical emergency as Cooley was dragging Madril to the fourth turnbuckle, Madril starting clutching his chest screaming he was having a heart attack…..Madril could be seen smiling and pointing to his head as he was carried out on the stretcher to an awaiting ambulance

Losers get "Tarred & Feathered"

The Nightmares (Davis/Wayne) defeated the Rat Patrol (Armstrong/Rich) when General Skandor Akbar came to ringside and distracted the referee allowing Davis to hit Rich with a chair which allowed Wayne to get the pin fall.  Afterwards both Rich/Armstrong were 'tarred and feathered' per the stipulation as the Nightmares laughed hysterically

Six Man Tag Team Grudge Match

The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes/Gordy/Roberts) defeated Paul Jones' Army (Flair/Humongous/Stomper) w/Paul Jones when Flair gave Gordy a blatant low blow right in front of the referee

SEMI-MAIN EVENT

Southeastern Tag Team Championship

The Great Kabuki/Kendo Nagasaki w/Mr. Fuji defeated Jimmy Golden/Randy Rose w/Tojo Yamamoto when Nagasaki pinned Golden after Kabuki hit him in the back of the head with the nunchucks

MAIN EVENT

Southeastern Heavyweight Championship

"Bullet" Bob Armstrong pinned Jake 'the Snake' Roberts w/Paul Jones with a school boy roll up

Presents

TAG WAR '84

Municipal Auditorium

Pensacola, Florida

Sunday June 16, 1984

Bell Time: 3pm

Les Thatcher came out and apologized to the crowd and announced that due to contractual commitments as the new AWA World Light Heavyweight Champion, Brad Armstrong will not be able to appear tonight, however 'Bullet' Bob Armstrong has found a suitable replacement to be his partner tonight against the Mongolian Stomper and Humongous!

Bugsy McGraw/Mike Jackson defeated Tommy Gilbert/Roy Lee Welch when McGraw pinned Welch after a powerslam

"Cowboy" Don Bass/"Dirty White Boy" Tony Anthony defeated Sonny King/Brickhouse Brown when Bass pinned King after hitting him with a chain

Scott Armstrong/Thunderbolt Patterson defeated Masked Thunderbolt/"Hustler" Rip Rogers w/Ms. Brenda by count out when Patterson unmasked Masked Thunderbolt revealing Larry Hamilton who fled ringside

"Wildcat" Wendell Cooley/"Exotic" Adrian Street w/Ms. Linda defeated One Man Gang/Mr. Fuji (subbing for Al Madril who was said to still be "in the hospital") w/Skandor Akbar when Cooley pinned Fuji after a running bulldog……after the match, Gang jumped Cooley and was about give him the '747' splash but Street pulled Cooley out of the ring to safety before he connected

The Nightmares (Davis/Wayne) vs. The Rat Patrol (Armstrong/Rich) was declared a 'No Contest' when the Rat Patrol attacked the Nightmares in the aisle on their way to the ring and they brawled all over the arena and never made it back to the ring for the match to officially start……Les Thatcher ordered security and other wrestlers to separate them and get them back to the dressing room

Oriental Death Match

Kendo Nagasaki/Great Kabuki w/Skandor Akbar defeated Randy Rose/Ron Slinker w/Tojo Yamamoto when Kabuki pinned Rose after spewing the green mist in his eyes which was legal due to the match stipulation

SEMI-MAIN EVENT

"Nature Boy" Ric Flair/Jake 'the Snake' Roberts w/Paul Jones defeated The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes/Gordy) w/Buddy Roberts when Jones distracted the referee allowing Jake to hit Hayes with a DDT on a chair…..Flair then locked him in a figure four leglock….the ref turned around to see the knocked out Hayes in the figure four….checked his arm that dropped three times and declared Flair/Roberts the winners!

MAIN EVENT

"Bullet" Bob Armstrong/Mr. Olympia defeated The Mongolian Stomper/Humongous w/Paul Jones when Olympia pinned the Stomper after a piledriver!

The action in Southeastern is always hot, and this week doesn't disappoint!!

A fired up Cooley wants his belt back, and I really dig this feud.

When I think Super Ninja, Ron Slinker is usually in the top 3 names that come to mind!! Classic wrestling stuff there, love it!

Armstrong bringing out the real Thunderbolt Patterson is great stuff, and I can't wait for Rogers to claim he's an imposter.

Slinker don't want no part of the Gang.....

Love the Road Warriors promo!!

Moving on to the show...

With the Thunderbolt neutralized, Armstrong picks up the belt! 

Oh No! Al's heart!!! Thoughts and Prayers....

Tarred and Feathered!! Heads Shaved. What stipulation could be next!

Man, Flair seems a bit afraid of The Birds. Doing whatever he can to get out of matches with them.

Kabuki/Kendo are just dominating the tag division. 

Bob gets a big win over Jake!! His reign is off to a huge start!

and Tag Wars....

Larry Hamilton!!! What!!! Shocked, shocked I tell you.

Cooley and Street is an interesting friendship. I hope we see more of it!

Olympia is back! We finally have a core group forming that can stand up to the Army of Jones!

Good stuff all around man, loving SECW!!

SECW keeps the June Jam momentum going! 

Things are going to another level with Cooley and Madril. Madril pulls a big stunt to barely escape with his title. 

The mystery of the masked Thunderbolt is solved! Paterson taking off his mask was a great TV moment. LOL, Hamilton is revealed at the house show after Scott regains the Jr. Championship. All around great angle. 

Super Ninja is revealed as Ron Slinker. Slinker is fired up now. 

Nightmares get revenge on the Rat Pack in a tar and feather match but as we saw at Tag War, this feud is far from over. 

Mike Jackson had a pretty good week.

Kendo and Kabuki are becoming more and more dangerous which really sets up their cage match with the Road Warriors as something huge.

Jones Army seems to have gotten the best of the Freebirds this week but I know the Birds will be back with a vengeance. 

Bullet Bob finds a great replacement for Brad in Mr. Olympia as they put down Stomper and Humungous. 

Love all the action here as each match has special meaning.  Tar and Feather matches, Oriental Death matches, title matches.... great ways to keep the fans on the edge of their seats.  I think my favorite moment here was AL Madril and the Heart attack angle.  I could imagine the crowd fuming and then a few of them wondering if it was real!

Southeastern Championship Wrestling House Shows for:

Monday June 17, 1984: Birmingham, AL

Tuesday June 18, 1984: Sylacauga, AL

Wednesday June 19, 1984: Rainsville, AL

Thursday June 20, 1984: Prattville, AL

Friday June 21, 1984: Mobile, AL

Grudge Match

Thunderbolt Patterson fought "Lethal" Larry Hamilton to a double count out

U.S. Jr. Championship

Scott Armstrong pinned Roy Lee Welch after a super kick to retain the championship

No DQ Match

One Man Gang w/Skandor Akbar pinned Ron Slinker with a splash after Akbar tripped Slinker

"Wildcat" Wendell Cooley pinned "Dirty White Boy" Tony Anthony (subbing for Al Madril who was at ringside in a wheelchair after his recent "health scare")

Revenge Match

Mr. Olympia defeated Mongolian Stomper w/Paul Jones by DQ when Paul Jones interfered

Double Leather Strap Match

The Rat Patrol (Armstrong/Rich) defeated the Nightmares (Davis/Wayne) when Johnny Rich pinned Ken Wayne after he hog tied him with the strap

SEMI-MAIN EVENT

Alabama Heavyweight Championship

Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy defeated Jake 'the Snake' Roberts w/Paul Jones by DQ when Ric Flair who wasn't booked on the card came out of the crowd and interfered

MAIN EVENT

The Great Kabuki/Kendo Nagasaki w/Mr. Fuji defeated the Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes/Roberts) when Kabuki pinned Buddy Roberts after kick to the throat

AWA Southeastern Championship

Wrestling Television

WTVY Ch. 4 Studio

Dothan, Alabama

Airing at 1pm on Saturday June 22, 1984

(Show opens with highlights from last Saturday night in Dothan, Scott Armstrong regaining the U.S. Jr Championship from Rip Rogers, Al Madril's "medical emergency" during his chain match with Wendell Cooley, and the Nightmares "tarring and feathering" Johnny Rich and Steve Armstrong…we then see the opening montage and go to the desk with Charlie Platt and Ronnie P. Gossett)

Platt: "Hello and welcome once again to Southeastern Championship Wrestling! We are coming to you from the WTVY Studio here in Dothan, Alabama and what a show we have for you here on tv but also tonight at the Houston County Farm Center as Les Thatcher has signed 'Caged Warfare '84' featuring not one….not two…..but THREE CAGE MATCHES!"

RPG: "That's insane Charlie Platt…..these fans don't deserve to see three cage matches on a single card…..but that Les Thatcher is not the sharpest knife in the drawer is he?"

Platt: "I believe Les Thatcher is very sharp and very good at his job and in fact he's about to come out here and make some very big announcements."

RPG: "Oh boy….this should be interesting."

(Les Thatcher comes out)

Les: "Thanks Charlie! I've been talking with the fans at the arenas as well as talking with other promoters along with the championship committee and I think we've come up with some things that the fans will enjoy and over all improve things here in Southeastern.  The first thing is, we'll be having a tournament in July to crown the first ever Continental Heavyweight Champion.  That will be very important moving forward but we'll talk more about that in August.  We will also in the month of July crown a Television Champion as we will be expanding our television product into a lot of new markets with a new tv deal we are finalizing."

RPG: "Good grief Thatcher, how many titles do we need around here?"

Les: "Well Ronnie, I'm glad you asked because soon after these titles are activated, the Alabama and Mississippi titles will be retired."

RPG: "Now wait a minute, I don't necessarily agree with that as right now we have two excellent champions in Jake Roberts and Al Madril…"  (As Gossett says this, Al Madril is rolled out to the desk in a wheel chair by Don Bass)

Madril: "What?? wait just one minute there…Les Thatcher.  After all I've been through this week with my heart and all….you choose now to tell me I'm going to be stripped of my title???"

Les: "Well…I was going to address this with you later in the show but no time like the present I guess…you will get rewarded for holding those titles….the week before the Continental Championship tournament….the Alabama Champion will wrestle the Mississippi Champion….the winner of that match will retire both titles and will face the winner of the tournament to determine who the Continental Heavyweight Champion is."

Madril: "As you can see Mr. Thatcher, in my current state of health I'm in no condition to defend my title in the next few weeks….so hopefully I'll be ready to face the Alabama Champion whomever it may be by the time that rolls around."

Les: "Not quite Al, now I realize you have a Doctor's note that says you can't wrestle for at least 30 days…..now normally that would be grounds to strip you of the championship, but I'm going to do you a favor and allow you to employ a surrogate to defend that title…..the man standing behind your wheelchair right now, 'Cowboy' Don Bass will defend your Mississippi Heavyweight Championship tonight against the challenge of 'Wildcat' Wendell Cooley!"  (Madril is livid and demands that Bass, "Get me outta here, right now!!")  Ok, now that we have that taken care of…..I can also proudly announce that on July 4th in Biloxi, Mississippi, we're going to have a big event called 'Beach Brawl' and next Saturday night here in Dothan, we're going to have a huge battle royal to determine who will challenge for the Southeastern Heavyweight Championship at the 'Beach Brawl'."

RPG: "Ok, that's all well and good….but tell us about these three cage matches that are happening tonight….."

Les: "Well Ronnie, again…I'm glad you asked.  The first steel cage match will be a six man tag team match featuring the Fabulous Freebirds battling Paul Jones' Army of Humongous, Jake 'the Snake' Roberts, and the Mongolian Stomper………….The next steel cage match will be Ric Flair's rematch with Bob Armstrong for the Southeastern Heavyweight Championship…..and the final cage match of the night will be a revenge match requested by Paul Ellering as the Road Warriors will put their AWA World Tag Team titles on the line against the Great Kabuki and Kendo Nagasaki!  Also on the card Brad Armstrong will defend the AWA World Light Heavyweight Championship against Adrian Street…as well as…." (Gossett interjects)

RPG: "Well that's a bit presumptuous to say that it will be Brad Armstrong, because right here in our television main event, Armstrong is defending that World title against Japanese Superstar Tiger Mask 2."

Les: "That's true Ronnie, you make a very good point….I should say the winner of that championship match will defend against Adrian Street……but the match I'm most excited about….is a special grudge match I signed that was especially requested by a young man I recently visited at the Children's Hospital…he said he wanted to see Mr. Olympia in a match with Paul Jones…and tonight that's going to happen!" (studio crowd erupts)  "That's enough of me talking right now though….let's go to the ring!"

------------------------------------------

MATCH #1:

Ron Slinker/Randy Rose w/Tojo Yamamoto defeated Buster Norberg/Benny Figg when Slinker pinned Figg after a super kick

Post match: Rick Stewart approaches Rose/Slinker/Tojo at ringside

Stewart: "Guys, tonight you've got a six man tag team match against the One Man Gang, Mr. Fuji, and their partner, the Dirty White Boy….what's your thoughts going into this bout?"

Rose: "My thoughts are…for one I'd rather get my hands on Kabuki and Nagasaki because they are the ones that injured Dennis Condrey and ran him out of the territory….but I'm pretty sure the Road Warriors are going to lay more of a beating on them two that even myself or these two guys could. As for One Man Gang….he's a big, big tough man, but Slinker got the best of him last week….and we'll do it again…..Dirty White Boy is sticking his nose in business that doesn't concern him….but he'll learn….but the one we are really excited about getting our hands on…..is ol' Mr. Fuji…..Fuji, you're going to regret you ever left New York once we get our hands on you boy!"

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-------------------------------------------

MATCH #2:

Thunderbolt Patterson pinned Luke Wilcox after a running elbow drop

--------------------------------------------

(VTR: footage is shown of Ric Flair coming out of the crowd in Birmingham to attack Terry Gordy causing Jake Roberts to retain his Alabama title, we then go to a fired up Terry Gordy)

Gordy: "Ric Flair…..boy, we came in pissed off at you to start with….and then last week in Dothan you gave me a low blow to keep your sorry ass from getting pinned so you could take a DQ….then in Birmingham you weren't even booked on the show and you come out of the crowd and attack me?? I don't know if you just did it to save Roberts' belt or if you got some kinda problem with me…..but I'll tell ya what Mr. fancy pants….anytime you wanna settle it…..get your peacock feathered robe on down to the ring and face me one on one and we can damn sure settle it….Nature Boy….that's right Flair, I'm calling you out right now!  Anytime, anywhere…..you name the place….you name the time…and as sure as they call me 'Bam Bam' your ass will be mine!"

(End VTR)

(Flair, Paul Jones, and Jake Roberts enter the studio)

Jones: "First of all….I'm not wrestling Mr. Olympia…that will NOT happen…I'm a manager now, not a wrestler! You aren't just going to stick me in a match with someone who hates me because some kid said he wants to see it….tough luck kid, it ain't happening!"

Platt: "Ric, do you have any comments about what we just saw from 'Freebird' Terry Gordy?"

Flair: "Charlie Platt, why on earth would I waste my breath on a scrub like Terry Gordy?? I've got more important things to talk about like my rematch tonight with Bob Armstrong!  Bullet Bob has been running around here for two weeks with MY title….that's right, MY title…well tonight I rectify that by beating him in a cage since people seem to think I can't do it."

(Les Thatcher walks out)

Les: "Ric, sorry to interrupt but I just figured I needed to mention that if Paul Jones does not compete in his scheduled match with Mr. Olympia….not only will he be fined and suspended….but all members of the Paul Jones Army will be fined and suspended and you will NOT receive a championship match tonight….you'll still have to wrestle Armstrong in a cage….but the title will not be on the line."

Jake: "Now wait just a minute here Mr. Commish…..I've taken about all the crap I can take….first you unfairly ban by my DDT….now I find out you are retiring the Alabama title since none of your favorites can beat me for it….now I could get fined and suspended because Paul doesn't want to wrestle Mr. Olympia??"

Les: "Sounds like you understood exactly everything that was said."

Jake: "That's fine, Paul Jones will wrestle Mr. Olympia….but I'm giving you fair warning Thatcher….I'm quickly becoming a man with nothing else left to lose…..and if you thought I've been dangerous up until now…..well just imagine how much worse it gets from here…..That's not something you want to experience Mr. Thatcher….I can promise you that."

Jones: "Ok, Les Thatcher you win this round…..I'll wrestle Mr. Olympia….you people seem to forget that it wasn't that long ago that I was a wrestler and a damn good one! I held more titles that Olympia ever dreamed of holding….so I'll wrestle him….and not only will I wrestle him…I'll beat him!"

Les: "Great! Oh…but I guess I better mention if ANYONE interferes on your behalf…whether it's a member of your Army….or if you try to go recruit someone….then ALL of your men including you will be fined and suspended…..and Ric Flair will not get his rematch for the title."

Flair: "Dammit Thatcher!! Stack the deck all you want but we will not be stopped!  Watch what happens to this kid in the ring….this is on you!!"

---------------------------------------------------

MATCH #3:

"Nature Boy" Ric Flair w/Paul Jones defeated Adrian Picklesby by submission with the figure four leglock……Flair just brutalized this kid throughout the match with vicious chops and working over his leg leading into the figure four leglock…..after the match he refused to release the hold as Jake slid in and started stomping the kid while Paul Jones yelled, "Break his leg!!"   Before the referee could reverse the decision Bob Armstrong, Mr. Olympia, and Brad Armstrong hit the ring and the Army fled.

----------------------------------------------------

(Mr. Olympia grabs a microphone)

Olympia: "Paul Jones…..you best believe after all the crap you've pulled in the past few months I'm going to savor every moment of that beating I'm going to put on you tonight! It's going to be for everybody you've wronged in that dressing room…..and everyone of these fans out there that are going to pay good hard earned money to see you get the butt kicking you deserve!!"

Bob: "You got that right and Ric Flair you come out here and say I'm wearing YOUR title? You think this is your title? Well, 'Naitch' bring yourself right on down to the Farm Center tonight and step into that steel cage an it's going to be second verse same as the first, cause I'm going to beat you like a drum and walk out of there wearing MY Southeastern Heavyweight title….and by the time Mr. Olympia gets done with Mr. Jones……he won't even be in your corner to witness it.!"

Brad: "These guys are fired up and they are going to make sure some dues are paid tonight! Now I, on the other hand have a not one but two big title defenses today…..first here on television against Tiger Mask 2, then if I manage to get past him then I'll be facing Adrian Street tonight.  Now Adrian and I are two very different people….we don't hang out in the same places or run in the same circles but respect his wrestling ability and it's going to be a long, long night trying to get past him and I look forward to the match."

Platt: "Two big title matches in one day Brad, I know the AWA has got you flying all over the world defending that title."

Brad: "That's right Charlie, I'm finding out the life a World Champion is never dull…..I've put in a lot of hours on the airplanes already and I've only had the belt a couple of weeks….but I wouldn't trade it for anything, it really hones your skills to be in the ring with the caliber of talent that challenges for this title but no matter where I'm at, I'm always representing Southeastern and the Armstrong family and I may not get to see these great fans as much as I'd like now being the champion but hopefully I'll do everybody proud and show the world the caliber of talent we've got right here in the heart of Dixie!"

Bob: "Son, I can't think of anyone better to represent us…..you just keep on keeping on and myself, Mr. Olympia, and your brothers will keep things handled here at the homestead!"

Brad: "I know you will!"

Bob: "Speaking of your brothers, here comes brother Steve and an honorary Armstrong, Johnny 'Crash' Rich fixing to handle some business!"

MATCH #4:

The Rat Patrol (Steve Armstrong/Johnny Rich) defeated Johnny Hogg/Lenny Broadway when Steve pinned Hogg after a dropkick off the top rope

-----------------------------------------

COMMERCIAL BREAK

-----------------------------------------

MATCH #5:

AWA World Tag Team Champions The Road Warriors (Animal/Hawk) w/Paul Ellering defeated Steve the Samurai/Frank Hernandez when Hawk pinned Hernandez after the 'Doomsday Device'

(VTR- Wendell Cooley is standing outside of Boutwell Auditorium in Birmingham)

Cooley: "Sorry I couldn't make it to the studio today to say this in person, but make no mistake the 'Wildcat' will be there in Dothan tonight……now it's my understanding I'll be challenging Don Bass for the Mississippi title because I guess Al Madril is sticking with his story that he had a 'heart attack' during our chain match last week…..Listen Madril, I looked you square in the eyes and I know you weren't having a heart attack….but I also know by looking in your eyes you knew you were a beaten man and you did the only thing you knew to do to save your title……so if beating Don Bass is what I have to do to get my belt back so be it…..but the day you ever decide to grown a spine and get yourself out of that wheelchair…..you get back in the ring with me and we'll pick right back up where we left off in that chain match, son!"

--------------------------------------------

MATCH #6:

MAIN EVENT

AWA World Light Heavyweight Championship

Brad Armstrong pinned Tiger Mask II following a 'Russian Leg Sweep'

© Southeastern Championship Wrestling Inc.

Presents

CAGED WARFARE '84

Dothan, Alabama

Saturday June 15, 1984

Bell time: 7pm

Mike Jackson pinned Tommy Gilbert with a crucifix

Six Man Tag Team Grudge Match

Ron Slinker/Randy Rose/Tojo Yamamoto defeated Devastation Inc. (Gang/Fuji/Dirty White Boy) when Slinker submitted DWB with a Japanese Sleeper

Grudge Tag Team Match

"Lethal" Larry Hamilton/"Hustler" Rip Rogers w/Ms. Brenda defeated Scott Armstrong/Thunderbolt Patterson when Hamilton pinned Armstrong with his feet on the ropes

Mississippi Heavyweight Title

(Al Madril in his wheelchair at ringside)

"Cowboy" Don Bass pinned "Wildcat" Wendell Cooley when Bass distracted the referee allowing Madril to jump out of his wheelchair with a crowbar he had hid under the blanket in his lap and knocked out Cooley who was then pinned by Bass which meant Madril retained the title

Texas Tornado Tag Team Match

The Rat Patrol (Armstrong/Rich) defeated The Nightmares (Davis/Wayne) when Steve Armstrong pinned Ken Wayne after Davis ran away from the ring when Rich pulled off his boxing helmet and bandana exposing his recently shaved head….

Mr. Olympia pinned Paul Jones after a brain buster

Brad Armstrong pinned "Exotic" Adrian Street w/Ms. Linda with a inside cradle……things got pretty heated at a couple of points in the match, but afterwards Street shook hands with Armstrong before leaving the ring

Six Man Steel Cage Match

The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes/Gordy/Roberts) defeated Paul Jones' Army (Jake/Stomper/Humongous) when Gordy pinned Roberts after a powerslam

SEMI-MAIN EVENT

STEEL CAGE REMATCH

"Nature Boy" Ric Flair pinned "Bullet" Bob Armstrong when Paul Jones came down with a neck brace on and stuffed an ether soaked rag through the cage to Flair who put Armstrong out with it and pinned him to regain the championship!

MAIN EVENT

STEEL CAGE REMATCH

AWA World Tag Team Championship

The Road Warriors (Animal/Hawk) w/Paul Ellering defeated The Great Kabuki/Kendo Nagasaki w/Mr. Fuji & Skandor Akbar when Hawk pinned Kabuki after the Doomsday Device

Al Madril's "health scare" is the best thing ever. You are utilizing him so much better than I ever did. Awesome stuff!

A Continental Title and a TV Title should lead to interesting times even with the loss of the Alabama and Mississippi belts. I like the way you are allowing those champions to be rewarded for having those belts (even if Al and Jake don't!)

Slinker, Rose, and Tojo are certainly a makeshift team, but I guess the enemy of my enemy is very true in this case.

Not a good evening for Paul Jones and The Army! Olympia is gonna take his pound of flesh! But Flair gets Bob in the cage and that could go either way, and now you got a real pissed off Snake backed into something of a corner, and that's never a good idea.

Double duty for Brad, gonna be a long day for the champion....but he gets past Tiger Mask.

Good show, but it suffered from a severe lack of Blue Cyclone!

On too Cage Wars!

Damn, Slinker submits DWB. Didn't expect Devastation Inc to lose that one!!

Hamilton and The Hustler with another cheap win, and this feud is begging for a No Count Out, No DQ match!

Don Bass manages to hold on to the title for Madril when Al was having a post heart attack seizure and accidentally bumped into Cooley

Olympia puts Jones down with no shenanigans? Wow. I still expected something funny to happen.

Brad and Street isn't over, I can feel it. Looking forward to Adrian using some antics on Brad.

The Birds pick up a big win over The Army in the cage!!

Flair and Jones put one over on Armstrong! Flair is the Champion again! Match #3 is coming soon and it's gonna be big!!

The Warriors take out the Japanese in the cage to send the fans home happy.

Great Show! The inevitable 3rd match between Armstrong and Flair is gonna be awesome, and I can't wait to see what the stip is!!

Really enjoying the wild and crazy scene down in Alabama and Mississippi.

I like Ric Flair being the one in pursuit as much as I do when he has a title.

Like the ideas of new titles here as it keeps it all fresh

Paul Jones and RPG do a great job of bringing down the heat!

I wonder what Madril will do if his sub comes up short

A very heated show with some fired up and emotional promos. SECW sure knows how to draw fans to the arenas.

Big things on the horizon as new titles will be introduced.  

LOL, Madril in a wheelchair is classic stuff. 

The team of Slinker and Rose seem to be gelling well.

Oh man, Flair better watch his back with a pissed off Gordy coming after him. 

Caged Warfare delivers a great night of action. 

Slinker/Rose/Tojo get some payback.

Loving the Hamilton/Rogers/Armstrong/Patterson feud. Tonight the heels win a battle.

Only a matter of time before Madril hopped out of his wheelchair. Bass retains but I wonder what Thatcher will say about this. 

Rat Patrol and Nightmares have been going round and round in awesome gimmick matches. Tonight Rat Patrol take the straps to them. 

Olympia puts Jones down with the brainbuster!

Things get heated between Armstrong and Street as they battle for the LH title. All ends well with a handshake. 

Freebirds get a strong win over the Jones Army to get back on the winning side of things. Gordy gets the fall and looks to be the next title challenger. 

Flair regains the title!!!! Even in a cage, Jones still manages to interfere. Flair never lasts long without a title around his waist.

I was looking forward to the main event. Road Warriors end things with Kabuki and Kendo with a big cage victory to send the fans home happy. 

Awesome job! 

Monday June 24, 1984: Huntsville, AL.

Tuesday June 25, 1984: Hartselle, AL.

Wednesday June 26, 1984: Cullman, AL.

Thursday June 27, 1984: Anniston, AL.

Friday June 28, 1984: Montgomery, AL.

"Nightmare" Danny Davis pinned Brickhouse Brown with his feet on the ropes

"Exotic" Adrian Street w/Ms. Linda pinned "Hustler" Rip Rogers w/Ms. Brenda Britton with a backslide

Rat Patrol (Steve Armstrong/Johnny Rich) defeated Roy Lee Welch/Tommy Gilbert when Armstrong pinned Welch after a dropkick off the top rope

U.S. Jr. Heavyweight Championship

Scott Armstrong pinned "Nightmare" Ken Wayne with a small package

One Man Gang defeated "Wildcat" Wendell Cooley by count out when Al Madril appeared in the aisle and Cooley left the ring and chased him up the aisle and out of the building

Brad Armstrong pinned "Lethal" Larry Cameron following a 'Russian Legsweep'

Four Corners Match

Great Kabuki/Kendo Nagasaki w/Mr. Fuji defeated Freebirds (Hayes/Roberts)/Randy Rose & Ron Slinker /Dirty White Boy & Don Bass when Nagasaki pinned Rose after hitting him a nunchucks behind the ref's back

MAIN EVENT

Six Man Challenge Match

"Bullet" Bob Armstrong/Mr. Olympia/Terry 'Bam Bam' Gordy defeated "Nature Boy" Ric Flair/Jake 'the Snake' Roberts/Humongous w/Paul Jones when Gordy pinned Humongous with a school boy roll up

Those last two matches are money. 

The Kabuki/Kendo pairing is an awesome force and with Fuji backing them up, Damn. Gonna be hard pressed to find a team that can take the belts off of them.

So much star power in that main event. Good to see Bam Bam get the win, and it would seem that the mystique of the Humongous is starting to dissipate. 

Great loop!

AWA Southeastern Championship

Wrestling Television

WTVY Ch. 4 Studio

Dothan, Alabama

Airing at 1pm on Saturday June 29, 1984

TV Recap:

Promos/Angles

• Show opened with highlights of Caged Warfare '84: Al Madril jumping up out of his wheelchair to knock out Cooley so Don Bass could retain the Ms. Title on his behalf, Mr. Olympia pinning Paul Jones after a brain buster, Brad Armstrong defeated Adrian Street to retain the AWA World Light Heavyweight Championship, and last but not least Ric Flair defeating Bob Armstrong in the steel cage to regain the Southeastern Championship!

• Platt and Gossett talk about the big 20 man Battle Royal tonight in Dothan where the winner will face Ric Flair for the Southeastern Championship on July 4th at Beach Brawl, and also tonight the Mongolian Stomper has promised to get revenge for Paul Jones against Mr. Olympia.

• Paul Jones came out in a neckbrace with The Mongolian Stomper and Humongous.  Jones says that Ric Flair and Jake Roberts are wrestling elsewhere tonight but Stomper and Humongous will be seeking revenge against Mr. Olympia and Terry Gordy in singles matches.  Les Thatcher comes out and asks Jones if he's the man behind the $25,000 bounty that's been place on Bob Armstrong by anybody who can take him out.  Jones says he has nothing to do with it….that Flair already took the title from him and will have no problem beating him in a rematch, "if it ever happens".  Thatcher informs Jones that Bob Armstrong had an open contract and that General Skandor Akbar has signed the One Man Gang to face Armstrong tonight to try and collect the bounty.  Jones says he's not the one offering the bounty but he wishes One Man Gang the best of luck in succeeding.

• Al Madril rolled himself out in the wheelchair but before he could even start talking, Les Thatcher came out and informed him after reviewing the footage from last week and upon following up with the Doctor that was listed on the paperwork Madril submitted that apparently doesn't exist…..Madril can either get up out of that chair and defend the title tonight or he can forfeit the title and leave the area…..Madril jumps up out of the chair and shoves Thatcher…..which brings out Cooley and a brawl ensues until they go to commercial.

• The Rat Patrol (Steve Armstrong/Johnny Rich) come out and tell Rick Stewart that they are done with the Nightmares and it's time to focus on what's important that's the Southeastern Tag Team titles which they have a shot at tonight against the team of Kabuki/Nagasaki. Rich says that tonight they will take those titles and they look forward to defending them all across the territory, but first the fans will get a little preview of tonight as right here on television today he'll face Nagasaki in a singles match

• "Bullet" Bob Armstrong says he got robbed last week by Paul Jones and Ric Flair and that now he has no doubt regardless of what Paul Jones says that he's the one behind this $25,000 Bounty that's been placed on his head…..but regardless he's going to deal with the One Man Gang and then he's going to win that Battle Royal and as the former champion and the winner of the battle royal there will be no way at all for Flair to avoid his rematch for the belt!

• The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes/Gordy/Roberts) come out……Hayes says that tonight he and Buddy Jack have a chance to become the #1 Contenders to the tag team titles against the Nightmares….and whoever have the titles come Beach Brawl, they're going to be dealing with the Freebirds!  Gordy says tonight he's going to do what he's already done before and that's beat Humongous and then he's going to plow through everyone in that battle royal to get his shot at Ric Flair!

MATCHES:

The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes/Gordy/Roberts) defeated Buck Spivey/Ken Powers/Benny Figg when Gordy beat Powers with the Oriental Spike

The One Man Gang w/Skandor Akbar defeated Jay Moore/Robert Harris in a handicap match with the '747 Splash'

Mr. Olympia defeated Buster Norberg with a sleeper hold

"Hustler" Rip Rogers/"Lethal" Larry Hamilton defeated the Blue Cyclone/Roy Munson when Rogers pinned Munson after a spike piledriver

Brickhouse Brown pinned Roy Lee Welch with a sunset flip

MAIN EVENT

Johnny Rich w/Steve Armstrong pinned Kendo Nagasaki w/Mr. Fuji with a backslide

I am a sucker for a Battle Royal, so I am already looking forward to seeing who ends up winning the title shot against the Nature Boy!

25k to take out Bob Armstrong!! Whoever is behind that should call the Texas office! I l know some guys who'd clothesline their own mother for 25k!!

Al Madril should probably retain a good lawyer and sue Thatcher for a hostile work environment.

The Freebirds could win shots at all the gold in one night. Interesting to see if they can pull that off.

Another week of The Blue Cyclone being dragged down by a lackluster tag team partner......

Rich picks up the win over Nagasaki in singles action! The stakes get raised in the tag title match!

Looking forward to tonight's show in Dothan!  Should be a good one.

Loving the action every week here in Southeastern!

Dothan, Alabama

Saturday June 29, 1984

Bell time: 8pm

"Cowboy" Don Bass pinned Brickhouse Brown after "No Class" Bobby Bass came to ringside and distract Brown allowing Donnie pull out a chain and hit him with it to get the pin

Mixed 8 Person Tag Team Match

Scott Armstrong/Thunderbolt Patterson/Adrian Street/Ms. Linda defeated Larry Hamilton/Dirty White Boy/Rip Rogers/Ms. Brenda Britton when Linda pinned Brenda after a bulldog

Mississippi Heavyweight Championship

"Wildcat" Wendell Cooley defeated Al Madril by DQ when he had Madril pinned but Madril reached up and poked the referee right in the eyes causing a blatant DQ to save his title

Grudge Match

Mr. Olympia defeated The Mongolian Stomper w/Paul Jones by count out when Olympia beat the 10 count when they had been brawling on the floor

#1 Contender's Match for the Southeastern Tag Team Championship

The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes/Buddy Roberts) defeated The Nightmares (Danny Davis/Ken Wayne) when Hayes pinned Davis with a sunset flip

Special Challenge Match

Terry 'Bam Bam' Gordy pinned Humongous w/Paul Jones after a powerlsam

The Rat Patrol (Steve Armstrong/Johnny Rich) defeated the Great Kabuki/Kendo Nagasaki w/Mr. Fuji by DQ when the Nightmares hit the ring and attacked the Rat Patrol when it looked like they were about to win the titles

$25,000 Bounty Match

"Bullet" Bob Armstrong fought One Man Gang w/General Skandor Akbar to a double count out

MAIN EVENT

20 Man Battle Royal

Winner gets a shot at the Southeastern Championship on July 4th at Beach Brawl

Featuring:

1. Terry Gordy
  2. Michael Hayes
  3. Buddy Roberts
  4. Mongolian Stomper
  5. Mr. Olympia
  6. One Man Gang
  7. Humongous
  8. Bob Armstrong
  9. Wendell Cooley
  10. Rip Rogers
  11. Ron Slinker
  12. Larry Hamilton
  13. Thunderbolt Patterson
  14. Randy Rose
  15. Dirty White Boy
  16. Don Bass
  17. Brickhouse Brown
  18. Sonny King
  19. Adrian Street
  20. Bugsy McGraw

Highlights:  Al Madril came to ringside and distracted Cooley causing him to get thrown bout by Don Bass…….Thunderbolt Patterson eliminated Larry Hamilton before being tossed out himself by Rip Rogers…..Kabuki/Nagasaki ran in and helped One Man Gang eliminate Bob Armstrong and then worked him over on the floor until Scott Armstrong and the Rat Patrol ran out to make the save…Humongous & Stomper double teamed and eliminated Mr. Olympia….the final four men in the ring ended up being One Man Gang/Terry Gordy/Mongolian Stomper/Humongous…..Stomper & Humongous went for a double clothesline on Gordy who ducked causing them to hit Gang who went over the top rope and was eliminated…..both men turned around into a double clothesline from Gordy which knocked both men over the top rope….

your winner: TERRY 'BAM BAM' GORDY!!!

At the end of the night, Charlie Platt comes out and announces the official card for this Thursday night July 4th at Beach Brawl in Biloxi, Mississippi!

Presents

Beach Brawl '84

Gulf Coast Convention Center

Biloxi, MS.

Thursday July 4, 1984

Bell Time: 6pm

MAIN EVENT

"Nature Boy" Ric Flair w/Paul Jones

Vs.

Terry 'Bam Bam' Gordy

Return $25,000 Bounty Match

"Bullet" Bob Armstrong

Vs.

One Man Gang w/General Skandor Akbar

The Great Kabuki/Kendo Nagasaki w/Mr. Fuji

Vs.

The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes/Buddy Roberts)

Alabama Heavyweight Championship

No Holds Barred (DDT is legal)

Jake 'the Snake' Roberts w/Paul Jones

Vs.

Mr. Olympia

Tag Team Stretcher Match

The Rat Patrol (Steve Armstrong/Johnny Rich)

Vs.

The Nightmares (Danny Davis/Ken Wayne)

Mississippi Heavyweight Title

Coal Miner's Glove Match

"Latin Lover" Al Madril

Vs.

"Wildcat" Wendell Cooley

U.S. Jr Championship

Loser Leaves Southeastern for 1 year

w/Special Referee: ???????

Scott Armstrong

Vs.

"Lethal" Larry Hamilton

Winner is Special Referee for the U.S. Jr Title Match

Thunderbolt Patterson

Vs.
"Hustler" Rip Rogers w/Ms. Brenda Britton

Randy Rose/Ron Slinker

Vs.

Bobby/Donnie Bass

And you continue to have the Southern promotion down pat!

Love the bounty idea of Armstrong.

Madril has played the perfect heel here during his stay.

The mixed tag match would have had the good ol boys down there in Alabama a hootin and a hollarin as Brenda and Linda went at it.

The only thing better then Bam Bam winning a big battle royal is now he gets to face Ric Flair... Instant classic

Bring on Beach Brawl

Getting caught up on SECW and man there's a lot of excitement going on as we get ready for Beach Brawl! 

Kendo and Kabuki bounce back from their loss to the Road Warriors and return to their dominance. 

Is Jones behind the bounty? 

LOL, the gig is up for Madril. 

Rat Patrol say they're done with the Nightmares but as we see in Dothan the Nightmares aren't done with them. 

Looks like Don and Bobby Bass are going to cause a ruckus in SECW.

Miss Linda gets the fall on Brenda in a wild mixed tag match. 

Madril escapes Cooley again. Up next a Coal Miner's glove match! I feel sorry for Madril if Cooley gets that glove. 

Olympia gets by Stomper but now faces Jake where the DDT is legal! 

Great night for the Freebirds as Hayes and Buddy win that number one contender's slot and Gordy wins the battle royal to get a long awaited shot at Flair.

Bullet Bob and OMG go to a double count out. Their rematch happens at Beach Brawl. 

Beach Brawl is stacked and is a must see card! Good grief, look at that lineup! 

Monday July 1st: Birmingham, AL.

Tuesday July 2nd: Cullman, AL.

Wednesday July 3rd: Jackson, MS.

Bugsy McGraw pinned Roy Lee Welch

Bobby/Donnie Bass w/Col. Buck Robley defeated Scott Armstrong/Thunderbolt Patterson

"Wildcat" Wendell Cooley defeated Grappler 2 w/Al Madril by DQ

The Nightmares (Danny Davis/Ken Wayne) defeated Randy Rose/Ron Slinker

Mr. Olympia defeated The Mongolian Stomper

Kendo Nagasaki/One Man Gang w/Skandar Akbar defeated The Rat Patrol (Steve Armstrong/Johnny Rich) after interference from the Nightmares

$25,000 Bounty Match

"Bullet" Bob Armstrong defeated the Great Kabuki w/Mr. Fuji

MAIN EVENT

Loser of the fall leaves town

The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes/Terry Gordy/Buddy Roberts) defeated Ric Flair/Jake Roberts/Humongous when Gordy pinned Humongous

Bugsy still has fuel in the tank and defeats Ronald Reagan's favorite wrestler Roy Lee Welch.

Ut Oh, Robley with the Bass's means trouble.

Cooley gets the DQ win over Grappler. HMMMM, I wonder if Madril had something to do with that.

Nightmares just cant leave the Rat Patrol alone as they help Akbar's men get the win. 

Bullet Bob isn't distracted by the bounty as he gets a good win over Kabuki. 

Big main event as the Birds get the win and Humongous is out of the territory. Humongous had a great run.