Pro Wrestling Only

AWA Continental Championship Wrestling

GeneJackson95

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH SNAP!!!!! What a turn by Flair! Man, that was epic! Flair is going to get mega heat for this. 

That was one brutal cage match between Brody and Hansen! Could they be forced to join forces after what happened? 

Along with all this, Baby Doll gets suplexed by Robley on the floor! King gets attacked by Boyd, Kendo, Tojo and Pogo! And Scott Armstrong wins the Jr. Title! 

Talk about a great night of action. Those fans were lucky to witness all of that. 

Southeastern Championship Wrestling

Civic Center
Piedmont, Alabama
Tuesday March 26, 1984
Bell Time: 7pm

Mike Jackson pinned Ted Allen with a victory roll

Tojo Yamamoto/Kendo Nagasaki defeated Brett Wayne Sawyer/Jesse Barr when Nagasaki pinned Sawyer after savate kick

U.S. Jr Championship
Scott Armstrong pinned Roy Lee Welch after a super kick

scottyarmstrongUSJrbelt.jpg

SEMI-MAIN EVENT
Alabama Heavyweight Championship
"Hustler" Rip Rogers w/Ms. Brenda Britton pinned Tim Horner with his feet on the ropes

MAIN EVENT
Southeastern Tag Team Titles
The RAT Patrol (Steve Armstrong/Johnny Rich) defeated The Midnight Express (Dennis Condrey/Randy Rose) when Rich pinned Rose with a small package

National Guard Armory
Arab, Alabama
Wednesday March 27, 1984

Tim Horner pinned Randy Barber with 'natural bridge'

Ken Lucas/Art Crews defeated Roy Lee Welch/Bill Ash when Lucas pinned Ash with a backslide

GRUDGE MATCH
Sonny King fought Lord Jonathan Boyd to a double count out

SEMI-MAIN EVENT
REVENGE MATCH
Humongous defeated Robert Fuller by DQ when Jimmy Golden hit the ring to save Fuller when he was trapped in the Cobra Clutch

01camp.jpg

MAIN EVENT
"Wildcat" Wendell Cooley/Mr. Olympia defeated "Hustler" Rip Rogers/"Pretty Boy" Doug Somers (subbing for Buck Robley) w/Ms. Brenda when Olympia pinned Rogers after miscue from Ms. Brenda caused her to knock out Rogers with her loaded purse

Von Braun Civic Center
Huntsville, Alabama
Thursday March 28, 1984
Bell Time: 7:30pm

Tim Horner pinned Carl Fergie with the 'natural bridge'

U.S. Jr Championship
Scott Armstrong defeated Tommy Gilbert by DQ when Gilbert gave Armstrong an obvious low blow

REVENGE MATCH
Mr. Olympia defeated Col. Buck Robley by count out when Robley rolled out of the ring and simply walked out after taking several minutes of pounding from Olympia who before the match started said "this one is for Baby Doll!"

Fire & Flame w/Paul Jones defeated Brett Wayne Sawyer/Jesse Barr when Flame pinned Sawyer after a headbutt from his loaded mask

"Hustler" Rip Rogers w/Ms. Brenda Britton fought "Wildcat" Wendell Cooley to a 20 minute time limit draw

SEMI-MAIN EVENT
Southeastern Tag Team Championships
The RAT Patrol (Steve Armstrong/Johnny Rich) defeated Humongous/Superstar Graham w/Paul Jones by DQ when Humongous refused to break a chokehold on Armstrong

MAIN EVENT
Southeastern Heavyweight Championship
"Nature Boy" Ric Flair w/Paul Jones pinned Jimmy Golden w/Robert Fuller with a small package

RicFlair84.jpg

Another fun loop. 

Scott Armstrong is doing quite well as Jr. Champ. 

Cooley is getting some good spotlight as he tangles with Rogers. 

LOL, Olympia really gave Robley a pounding. 

Rat Patrol seems to have the Midnight Express's number. 

Humungous is tearing apart the competition. Who can stop him???

And Flair is back as he retains against Jimmy Golden. 

Great round of house shows here.  Love how you are able to get so much out of wrestlers who many wrestling historians seem to think were middle of the road like Wendell Cooley and the Rat Patrol.  I also think it was so much harder for wrestlers in smaller promotions because they ran similar loops each week and the same wrestlers had to keep getting over on the fans.  In places like the WWF, Hogan might visit a place a couple of times of year and it was easy for him to be believable but in Southeast, his gimmick would never work. 

Also. if you get a chance to check the title history page, just let me know if I missed something.  You had a lot of changes and I would like to keep it updated

On 3/30/2019 at 6:40 PM, kevinmcfl said:

Also. if you get a chance to check the title history page, just let me know if I missed something.  You had a lot of changes and I would like to keep it updated

Sorry about all the changes but the titles moved around quite a bit in the Southeastern territory, you may want to update it once a month, lol.....I looked and everything looked good.....only thing I noticed is Flair defeated Ron Fuller instead of Robert to win the title. 

SECWLogo.jpg

AWA Southeastern Championship

Wrestling Television
WTVY Ch. 4 Studio
Dothan, Alabama
Airing at 5:30pm on Saturday March 30, 1984
Hosted by Charlie Platt & Les Thatcher
Interviews: Rick Stewart

(Show opens with highlights of the main event in Birmingham last with Brody/Hansen battling in the steel cage, with the post match attack by "Super Olympia" who then revealed himself to be RIC FLAIR….who then aligned himself with Paul Jones and his Army who then joined in with Flair to further beat down Brody and Hansen……we then cut to the opening montage…..and to the desk with Charlie Platt and Les Thatcher)

Platt: "Even after having been there live, I still find that footage shocking to watch."

Thatcher: "I don't know if shocking even covers it Charlie……We didn't expect to see Ric Flair there in Birmingham, but we certainly didn't expect to him aligned with Paul Jones and his cronies…..I still can't wrap my head around it."

Platt: "Nor can I….however….even though Ric Flair refused to appear here in the studio this week….Rick Stewart went down to Pensacola to Flair's beach front condo and spoke with him about his recent actions and I know we're all looking forward to seeing that the Southeastern Champion has to say for himself."

Thatcher: "We'll be seeing that interview that with Ric Flair shortly but first let's go to the ring and see the Midnight Express in action!"

MATCH #1:
The Midnight Express (Condrey/Rose) defeated Roy Munson/Joe Turner when Rose pinned Munson after a spike piledriver

MX.jpg

(Commercial for tonight's card at the Houston County Farm Center in Dothan)

Houston County Farm Center
Dothan, Alabama
Saturday March 30, 1984
Bell time: 8:30pm

MAIN EVENT
"Nature Boy" Ric Flair w/Paul Jones
Vs.
"Wildcat" Wendell Cooley

SEMI-MAIN EVENT
The RAT Patrol (Steve Armstrong/Johnny Rich)
Vs.
Fire & Flame w/Paul Jones

FINAL SHOWDOWN
Title vs. Mask
(Ms. Brenda barred from the building)
"Hustler" Rip Rogers
Vs.
Mr. Olympia

SPECIAL CHALLENGE TAG TEAM MATCH
Robert Fuller/Jimmy Golden
Vs.
Superstar Graham/Humongous w/Paul Jones

U.S. Jr Heavyweight Championship
Scott Armstrong
Vs.
Roy Lee Welch

GRUDGE MATCH
Tom Jones/Sonny King
Vs.
Lord Jonathan Boyd/Tojo Yamamoto

Tim Horner
Vs.
Kendo Nagasaki

(Card Subject to Change)

MATCH #2:
Mr. Olympia defeated Randy Barber with a sleeper hold

MrOlympia3.jpg

(Post match: Les Thatcher calls Mr. Olympia over to the desk)

Thatcher: "Mr. Olympia, I know everyone has either seen or heard about what transpired last week when Col. Buck Robley put his hands on Baby Doll, it was heinous and that footage will not be aired ever here on television and I wanted to try to get an update on you about her condition."

Olympia: "Robley, is a coward and lowlife…..he better hope I don't get another chance to get my hands on him Les Thatcher!   As for Baby Doll, I don't think we'll be seeing her around anytime soon after what took place last week."

Thatcher: "Well….I hate to hear that and we all send her our well wishes…..but the good news, we won't be seeing Buck Robley around anytime soon either as the AWA Board of Directors have reviewed the footage and they have chosen to fine and suspend Robley indefinitely for his actions against Baby Doll!" (Crowd cheers)

Olympia: "That's the best news I've heard all week, Les Thatcher."

Thatcher: "Well, it's gets better…..tonight right here in Dothan, you get a return match with Rip Rogers and Ms. Brenda Britton is barred from the building…..Rogers has agreed to put the Alabama Championship on the line…..but only if…..you put up your mask as well."

Olympia: "If that's all it takes to get a fair shot that the Alabama title without Brenda Britton or Buck Robley there to interfere…..I'll be more than happy to put my mask on the line!  Make it happen and I'll be there."

Thatcher: "But wait, that's not all……the winner of tonight's match between yourself and Rip Rogers is not only going to be the Alabama Champion, you'll also get a shot at the Southeastern Championship on Monday night in Birmingham!"

Olympia: "Wow, looks like today Is my lucky day…..and Rogers….your luck has run completely out, boy!"

COMMERCIALS

(VTR- footage is shown of Humongous injuring Ron Fuller and getting DQ'd last Saturday night in Dothan)

MATCH #3:
Humongous w/Paul Jones defeated Frank Reynolds/Charlie Kelley in a handicap match with the cobra clutch on Reynolds

(Rick Stewart calls Paul Jones and Humongous over to the monitor to see what Ron Fuller has to say about what took place last week)

(VTR- "Tennessee Stud" Ron Fuller is sitting in a recliner with a bandage on his neck and a sling on his arm)

Fuller: "Paul Jones, I know you're standing there real proud of yourself alongside that big goof with the goalie mask on and you think you've put the old Stud out to pasture…..well Jones if that's what you are thinkin' you are sadly mistaken……the Tennessee Stud still has a lot of fight left in him…..but according to the Doctors, I'm going to have to be on the sidelines for a bit…and that's ok……I'll come back bigger and stronger than ever when the time is right……but in the meantime that doesn't mean you get a break……no sir, far from it……what I've done is I've picked up the phone and called somebody that the fans around here know pretty well but haven't seen in quite a while…..but they'll remember when they see him…..and I promise you that he's just as big…..just as bad….and twice as mean as ol' Humongous you got….and he'll be standing across the ring from you two in Birmingham on Monday night….and Paul Jones, I can't wait to see your face when you lay eyes on this man…..this one is going to change the game In our favor……see ya Monday night, Jones…..you better bring your Army, cause you're going to need one!"

MATCH #4:
Tom Jones/Sonny King defeated Sammy Hall/Bad Boy Burns when King pinned Hall after a power slam

(COMMERCIAL FOR MONDAY NIGHT'S CARD IN BIRMINGHAM)

Boutwell Auditorium
Birmingham, Alabama
Monday April 1, 1984
Bell time: 8pm

MAIN EVENT
Winner of Flair/Cooley
Vs.
Winner of Rogers/Olympia

SEMI-MAIN EVENT
LOSERs LEAVE TOWN - BOTH MEMBERS OF THE TEAM
Robert Fuller/Jimmy Golden
Vs.
Fire & Flame w/Paul Jones

SPECIAL CHALLENGE MATCH
Humongous w/Paul Jones
Vs.
Ron Fuller's Mystery Man w/Ron Fuller

Southeastern Tag Team Championship
Four Corners Match (One Fall)
The RAT Patrol (Armstrong/Rich)
Vs.
Kendo Nagasaki/Mr. Pogo w/Tojo Yamamoto
Vs.
The Midnight Express (Condrey/Rose)
Vs.
Jesse Barr/Brett Wayne Sawyer

U.S. Jr Championship
Scott Armstrong
Vs.
Larry Hamilton

Plus 3 more matches!!!!

MATCH #5:
U.S. Jr. Champion Scott Armstrong pinned Randy Watson after a superkick

scottyarmstrongUSJrbelt.jpg

(VTR- Rick Stewart approaches Ric Flair who is on chair on the beach looking out at the ocean)

Stewart: "Mr. Flair, I've been sent here on behalf of Southeastern Championship Wrestling to try and get some answers about your actions last Monday night in Birmingham."

Flair: "First of all, let's make one thing very, very clear……I don't owe you…..Southeastern Championship Wrestling…or the fans an explanation for anything I do…..I'm the Nature Boy…..I'm the Champion and I do as I very well please…..however, that being said….I did what I did because I owed Bruiser Brody for what he did to me when he attacked me in the studio and nearly crippled me……or did everyone just forget that??"

Stewart: "No sir, no one has forgotten that…..I think that's really the point……everyone gets why you attacked Brody….but what everyone wants to know is why you have aligned with Paul Jones, who seemingly set you up to be attacked by Brody in the first place."

Flair: "Ok….once again you don't deserve an explanation, but I'll give you one none the less.  Paul Jones approached me on tv prior to the Southeastern title tournament about joining him and I turned him down because I really did come down here with the intentions of doing the right thing……playing by the rules, wrestling for the fans and trying to be what I thought would be….a better person I guess you'd say.  So I did that….and what did it get me….nearly maimed by Bruiser Brody….it landed me in a hospital bed for 4 days.  As I laid in that hospital bed it gave me a lot of time to reflect and think about things and during those four days I laid in that hospital in Dothan, Alabama……who do you think came to visit me?  Did Ron Fuller come to visit me?  Did Jerry Stubbs come to visit me? Did anyone named Armstrong come to visit me?  Did any fans stand out side to show their support? NO!! One person came to visit me!! ONE PERSON CAME TO VISIT ME, RICK STEWART!!! Do you know who that man was??"

Stewart: "Who?"

Flair: "Paul Jones…..he stood at the end of that hospital bed….and we glared at each other for what seemed like forever…..and then he said the words that still haunt me as I sit here staring at this beautiful ocean…'When Bruiser Brody is the champ and you're in a wheel chair, do you think anyone will remember you did the right thing?'  Then he simply walked out of the room……..the next day I got a card that simply said 'the offer still stands, champ'  When I walked out of that hospital, there was a limo sitting outside waiting for me…..and guess who sent it?  The Fullers?  Jimmy Golden??  Wendell Cooley???  Nope, it was Paul Jones…..and I knew right then and there I had made a mistake and that when my neck healed up…..I was going to remind everybody in the wrestling world just who in the hell Ric Flair is….and last Monday night I did just that……I left two of the most dangerous men in wrestling face down in a cage in a pool of their own blood because I'm Ric 'By-God' Flair and whether you like it or you don’t like it…..you all better learn to love it because I'm the best thing going today….and sooner or later I'm going to walk that aisle and take that AWA World title from Hulk Hogan….but first I'm going to show all these rednecks in Alabama why I'm the Southeastern Champion….starting tonight in Dothan….WOOOOOOO!!!!   Now get off my beach, little man!!!"

MATCH #6:
MAIN EVENT
Alabama Champion "Hustler" Rip Rogers w/Ms. Brenda Britton pinned Ken Lucas after a piledriver

Rip_Rogers_7-1.jpg

© 1984 Southeastern Championship Wrestling

Houston County Farm Center
Dothan, Alabama
Saturday March 30, 1984
Bell time: 8:30pm

Tim Horner fought Kendo Nagasaki to a ten minute time limit draw

GRUDGE MATCH
Tom Jones/Sonny King defeated Lord Jonathan Boyd/Tojo Yamamoto by DQ when Tojo hit King with one of his wooden shoes

U.S. Jr Heavyweight Championship
Scott Armstrong pinned Roy Lee Welch with a small package to retain the championship

SPECIAL CHALLENGE TAG TEAM MATCH
Robert Fuller/Jimmy Golden defeated Superstar Graham/Humongous w/Paul Jones when Golden pinned Graham after Humongous accidently headbutted Graham with the hockey mask…when Golden ducked out of the way as Graham tried to hold him in place

FINAL SHOWDOWN
Title vs. Mask
(Ms. Brenda barred from the building)
Mr. Olympia defeated "Hustler" Rip Rogers with a sleeper hold to regain the Alabama Heavyweight Championship

SEMI-MAIN EVENT
The RAT Patrol (Steve Armstrong/Johnny Rich) defeated Fire & Flame w/Paul Jones when Fuller & Golden came to ringside to distract Fire & Flame and in the process Armstrong caught Fire with a sunset flip to get the pin fall

MAIN EVENT
"Nature Boy" Ric Flair w/Paul Jones  pinned "Wildcat" Wendell Cooley with his feet on the ropes

I agree, that Flair promo was solid gold! What a great explanation. I cant wait to watch Flair in the coming months. 

Mr. Olympia follows through with his promise and regains the Alabama title.

Man, I cant wait to find out who this man Ron Fuller is sending in to face Humungous! 

Rat Patrol keep on rolling with a win over Fire and Flame. 

Scott Armstrong continues his win streak. 

Poor Graham, takes the fall after getting hit with a Humungous headbutt. I wonder if Graham will have a problem with that? 

Flair retains as he sneaks one past a game Wendell Cooley. 

I'm hoping we get a Flair/Hogan AWA title match!!! 

Boutwell Auditorium
Birmingham, Alabama
Monday April 1, 1984
Bell time: 8pm

U.S. Jr Championship
Scott Armstrong pinned Larry Hamilton with a small package……after the match, Hamilton offered Armstrong a handshake…..Armstrong shook his hand and hugged him…..Armstrong raised Hamilton's hand….as Scott turned to leave, Hamilton blasted him with a clothesline, he grabbed Armstrong's U.S. Jr title belt and blasted in the face with it……Hamilton tossed the belt down on top of him but fled as Steve Armstrong and Johnny Rich hit the ring….

Tojo Yamamoto/Kendo Nagasaki/Mr. Pogo defeated Tom Jones/Sonny King/Ken Lucas when Pogo put out Lucas with the 'Japanese Sleeper'

"Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin w/Precious pinned Tim Horner after a brain buster

Mississippi Heavyweight Championship
"Wildcat" Wendell Cooley pinned "Hustler" Rip Rogers w/Ms. Brenda Britton with a running bulldog

Four Corners Match (One Fall)
The RAT Patrol (Armstrong/Rich)
Vs.
Kendo Nagasaki/Mr. Pogo w/Tojo Yamamoto
Vs.
The Midnight Express (Condrey/Rose)
Vs.
Jesse Barr/Brett Wayne Sawyer

Result:
The Midnight Express wins the Championships when Condrey pinned Jesse Barr after a DDT

After Humongous and Paul Jones enter the ring, Ron Fuller comes down to ringside and introduces his 'Mystery Man'…….THE MONGOLIAN STOMPER!!

SPECIAL CHALLENGE MATCH
Humongous w/Paul Jones fought Mongolian Stomper w/Ron Fuller to a double count out

SEMI-MAIN EVENT
LOSERs LEAVE TOWN - BOTH MEMBERS OF THE TEAM
Robert Fuller/Jimmy Golden defeated Fire & Flame w/Paul Jones when Fuller pinned the Flame with his "loaded boot"………..Fire & Flame must leave Southeastern Championship Wrestling

MAIN EVENT
"Nature Boy" Ric Flair w/Paul Jones wrestled Mr. Olympia to a 45 minute time limit draw

Armstrong falls for the oldest trick in the book and Larry Hamilton becomes a player out of nowhere!

Hustler looks to be on a bit of a downslide as he drops one to Cooley who is on a roll.

The Midnights regain the straps, but the champs didn't lose the fall. I sense some rematches coming!!

The Stomper and The Humongous! What a war that would be! The first battle is fought, but its far from over.

Fire and Flame are done, as Fuller/Golden finally get one over in this war. I'd bet Paul Jones has a contingency plan though.

Flair and Olympia go to broadway, let's do the full 60 for the rematch!!

The card I was waiting for! 

Hamilton turns heel on Armstrong! This could be a hidden gem feud. 

Garvin and Precious have arrived and he gets a strong debut win over Horner.

Love that 4 corners match and especially loved the Midnight Express regaining the titles.

WOW! Fuller introduces the Mongolian Stomper! Stomper and Humungous fight to a wild double countout. I love this battle of oddities. 

Good to see Cooley bounce back from his loss to Flair and defeat Rogers. 

Fuller and Golden send Fire and Flame packing to end that feud. 

Olympia takes Flair to the limit. I think this is big for Olympia and I'm sure he will get a rematch. 

Coliseum
Ripley, MS
Tuesday April 2 , 1984

Art Crews defeated Carl Fergie with a powerslam

Larry Hamilton pinned Mike Jackson with his feet on the ropes

Jesse Barr/Brett Wayne Sawyer defeated the Masked Nightmares (#1/#2) when Barr pinned Nightmare #2 after a belly to belly suplex

"Hustler" Rip Rogers w/Ms. Brenda Britton defeated Ken Lucas after a piledriver

MAIN EVENT
"Wildcat" Wendell Cooley pinned Superstar Graham with a running bulldog

====================================================

American Legion
Corinth, MS
Wednesday April 3, 1984

Ken Lucas pinned Bill Ash with a sunset flip

Kendo Nagasaki/Mr. Pogo w/Tojo Yamamoto defeated Sonny King/Tom Jones when Pogo pinned Jones after a kendo stick shot from Tojo behind the ref's back

U.S. Jr Championship
Scott Armstrong pinned Tommy Gilbert with a small package

SEMI-MAIN EVENT
"Wildcat" Wendell Cooley pinned Lord Jonathan Boyd after a running bulldog

MAIN EVENT
Robert Fuller/Jimmy Golden defeated The Midnight Express (Condrey/Rose) by DQ when Rose gave Golden a low blow in front of the referee

======================================================

High School Gym
Batesville, MS
Thursday April 4, 1984
Bell Time: 7:30pm

Larry Hamilton pinned Tim Horner with a handful of tights

Humongous w/Paul Jones defeated Art Crews by submission with the Cobra Clutch

Sonny King pinned Lord Jonathan Boyd with a flying cross body

The RAT Patrol (Scott/Steve Armstrong) defeated Mr. Pogo/Tojo Yamamoto when Steve pinned Tojo after a dropkick off the top rope

SEMI-MAIN EVENT
Alabama Champion Mr. Olympia/Mississippi Champion "Wildcat" Wendell Cooley defeated "Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin w/Precious & "Hustler" Rip Rogers w/Ms. Brenda Britton when Olympia pinned Rogers with a backslide

MAIN EVENT
"Nature Boy" Ric Flair w/Paul Jones defeated Johnny Rich with an inside cradle to retain the title

===================================================

NIGHT OF CHAMPIONS '84
Lavendar Coliseum
Columbus, MS
Friday April 5, 1984
Bell Time: 8pm

Larry Hamilton pinned Brett Wayne Sawyer with his feet on the ropes

Handicap Match
Humongous w/Paul Jones defeated Roy Munson/Randy Watson by submission with an over the shoulder backbreaker on Munson

U.S. Jr Championship
Scott Armstrong pinned Bill Ash after a superkick

Mr. Olympia defeated "Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin w/Precious by DQ when Precious interfered

"Wildcat" Wendell Cooley pinned "Hustler" Rip Rogers w/Ms. Brenda Britton when Mr. Olympia came to ringside and prevented Brenda Britton from interfering allowing Cooley to school boy Rogers

The Midnight Express (Condrey/Rose) defeated The RAT Patrol (Steve Armstrong/Johnny Rich)

MAIN EVENT
The Mongolian Stomper defeated "Nature Boy" Ric Flair w/Paul Jones by DQ when Humongous hit the ring at the 19 minute mark to attack Stomper and the two brawled their way out of the building

====================================================