Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlemania 35 - Voluntary Colonization

KawadaSmile

- If the question is, which show you would rather attend - and not be allowed to leave until it was over - its easily WrestleMania XI over this. Its not even close for me. Obviously, WMXI sucked...but, to me, its like being forced to eat pizza. Would you rather be forced to eat a large pie from Domino's (or your least favorite chain) or be forced to eat 3 large pies from your favorite pizzeria? I'll take a little too much of a not-so-great thing (its still pizza) rather than way too much of a pretty great thing (this is my favorite pizza, but I stopped enjoying this 8 slices ago and I just want to go to bed/puke).

- I think I read somewhere (maybe here) that ticket sales for the Road to WrestleMania TV shows have not been great. I'm not surprised. I've cherry-picked some segments since the Rumble, but haven't bothered to watch a whole show or even fast-forward through one on my DVR. I skipped FastLane despite it being 10 minutes from my house and there were plenty of tickets left for it. 

- I'll watch this show as I've watched PPVs since the Network started: in chunks. On rare occasions, I'll get a group of dudes together to watch a show live, but for the most part, it takes me 3-4 sittings to get through a show. Its actually one of the best features of the Network to me - the ability to start a show and continue it on various devices everytime I have some time (lunch break at work, at the gym, while I"m cooking dinner, etc.). I can't believe there are people who don't consume wrestling this way in 2019. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mania XI had Razor vs Jarrett, Shawn vs Diesel and Bigelow vs LT which was a cool spectacle, kinda. And it was over in less than three hours. I take Mania XI as a whole over any overblown Manias of the last few years. It's supposed to be fun, not a chore.

(hey, attendance is down, ratings are down, the product is cold as hell, people, don't let the Mania show itself or the FOX deal fool you, WWE is only buried under money because a criminal regime wants propaganda shows and a TV channel wanted some live shit with Ronda in it (which is another issue I guess))

59 minutes ago, DMJ said:

- Its actually one of the best features of the Network to me - the ability to start a show and continue it on various devices everytime I have some time (lunch break at work, at the gym, while I"m cooking dinner, etc.). I can't believe there are people who don't consume wrestling this way in 2019. 

I watch most television shows this way in 2019. I don't know too many people who don't.

It's just that pro wrestling isn't actually good TV in 2019. There's no hook. No attachment. No storyline progression. No endearing character. No character progression to follow. No sense of urgency to entice you. No stakes to keep you invested. It's basically devoid of any element that keeps me watching a TV show.

God bless you guys that keep on keeping on. It just isn't for me anymore. I went through my phase of analyzing and rating matches. To death. That trend is over for me though. I feel like I outgrew it after going HARD AF with it between 2012 to about 2014. It burned me out to the point that I couldn't care less how many stars something gets, how something is rated, etc.

I actually believe there's an argument to be made that watching SO MUCH wrestling - in such massive quantities, in such small spaces of time - can dumb you down and desensitize you to the silly shit.

The women's Chamber match is a perfect example. That finish with Sasha bending her foot around someone's face for a Crossface submission was downright embarrassing, but fans were calling out creative and brilliant. Because they've been educated to react to ANY hint of "psychology" that way.

Fuck that noise. It was silly and embarrassing and BAD. It wouldn't harm a fly. It was the antithesis of psychology, because psychology should mean more than just "remembering to sell." It should be reasonable, logical, sensible storytelling. And pressing the top of your foot across somebody's nose is not ANY of that. And yeah. It's just bad. Real bad. Ridiculously bad. It's even bad on the imagination island that is pro wrestling.

Okay. I got wayyy sidetracked there. But I'm just saying I see no reason to watch their TV in 2019 - whether it's in manageable chunks or massive unending installments that would have me questioning my life choices by hour 3. It's just not interesting (or entertaining, really) TV anymore.

More power to you guys though. I do still read your thoughts in these threads and stuff, so there's that.

2 hours ago, peachchaos said:

It’s not even just “make ‘em wait” that kills the entertainment value of this all. It’s the stuff they just flat out abandon with no explanation:

“Original Plans for the Rey Mysterio vs. Andrade Feud

The original plan for the feud was to have a mask vs. hair match but the idea ended up falling by the wayside.”

Who wants to see Andrade cut his hair or Mysterio lose his mask, though?

Just now, SomethingSavage said:

Good point.

I mean, God forbid they put together a match where the outcome may matter or may have fans speculating. Outrageous.

Why would you have either of those results, as none of them lead to a positive outcome? Andrade, as much as he may have banging matches and unreal chemistry with Rey, has no heat. People don't really pop or boo when he makes an entrance, and I doubt cutting his Pidgeotto hair would help him.

They are cool and I like a lucha de apuestas as much as anyone else, but at this point it really wouldn't have helped any of them. They can build Andrade better and have a better payoff, it's all.

Also, about speculation: surely after last year's Mania, any Brock Lesnar match is leaving people wondering if Vince is doing smack and changing the finish :lol:

It's odd, but this Mania kinda feels like the end of a cycle for me. I pretty much got interested, to some degree only, back during Daniel Bryan's rise to the top. There we are, five years later, and I kinda feel "obligated" to watch Mania despite having no real interest in doing so. I guess years of Mania becoming a giant chore didn't help. Last year the two Saudi shows killed any bit of interest I had, and I know the same shit is gonna happen again later on. Despite some of the best talent in the world in the roster, it's like I can't be bothered to care even about the really good matches. I guess this has been a transitional period in my life too... I dunno, at the same time I really am interested about the first AEW show. I guess I want something exciting and new, in wrestling and otherwise... 

I foolishly got really excited for 'Mania this year after seeing the Ronda/Becky build a few months back and hanging onto the hope we'd get Joe vs Cena since neither had anything seemingly going on heading in.

Now not only am I just hating how they've turned the Becky/Ronda build into Russo-esque work shoot horse shit nonsense (adding Charlotte wasn't what I wanted to see but I wasn't too broken up over it until the Twitter nonsense between Ronda and Becky), I'm also really bummed that it's Joe vs Rey of all people when it makes no sense to me to do and Cena is still without a match. I never thought that 15 years after being the stereotypical Cena sucks awful "smart" fan that I'd be pissed he's being left without an important match on 'Mania but here I am and I am really really disappointed although I should've known not to get my hopes up for anything WWE because stuff rarely happens or makes sense when it comes to their booking.

I'm also sad that Angle's alleged retirement match with be against Baron Corbin of all people and that Kofi, despite how a lot of fans are behind him, is getting the WWE title match against Bryan when I don't see Kofi as a main event guy and if he wins it'll just reek of giving a popular guy the top title as career achievement award rather than it being a statement this is the top guy in our company who will be the face of the brand. Between the WWE title and the Universal title, neither of WWE's supposed top prizes mean much of anything which I've never seen before really as usually one of WWE's world titles were protected and meant something.

I'll still be tuning in live watching with my cousin and friends which helps combat the long slog WWE PPVs have become but outside of AJ vs Orton and Batista and Triple H I don't really have high interest or hope for anything else on the card. 

How WWE can have a more talented roster every year and yet still put gradually worse 'Mania cards baffles me.

Man, I completely disagree. As much as I disliked PWG-Cena, I would have twice the confidence in him to have a good 8-10 minute match with Angle than I would in Baron Corbin. Surely, Angle's last match needs someone to bump around for suplexes, work submission reversal spots and make ridiculously over-the-top selling faces whilst in the ankle lock. That makes Cena the top option.

9 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Plus the story is right there too. All Cena has to do is show up and say "Everyone thinks the Corbin match sucks, you were my first opponent in WWE and I want to be your last". Boom, everyone's happy.

No, that won't work.  What the angle would need to succeed is the involvement and interference of at least one (if not more) of the McMahon family.  And then lots of fake shooty twitter comments.  The way you presented the idea is far too simple, would work far too well, and makes far too much sense.

Is Jinder even still being used? I don't follow their TV but only know he hasn't been mentioned by anyone here or elsewhere in a long while.

What a fucking waste. Dude actually comes across really well in interviews & stuff, but the outdated "evil foreigner League of Nations" gimmick is the KOD.

It's every bit as embarrassing as any of the gross, deranged sexual deviant shit from the Attitude Era that everyone makes fun of in hindsight.

He's used sparingly. He's on RAW. I think he lost to Balor recently maybe? *

I think, initially, there was some thought that he might've been fed to Reigns when Reigns was going to be the Universal Champion and needed heels to squash. This would've been last year right after Mania. I'm not sure if that was ever actually in the cards, but it did seem like something they might've done to get Reigns cheered...but then again, they also didn't give Reigns the win over Lesnar, so, the RAW scene was kind of a mess at the time. Who knows? They ran the Reigns/Lesnar feud past SummerSlam and by then Jinder was super cold. So, even if Reigns had not had to leave, it certainly didn't seem like Jinder was being built up as a challenger for him in the fall. 

The WWE will push Jinder again when its time for them to tour India, I'd assume, but even that would be a shocker to me. By most accounts, Jinder is a hard-working, nice guy - but I think he's the shits in the ring and hope they never push him again.

* EDIT - Whoops. I don't watch any TV either, only the Network specials. Also, I could be wrong about him still sucking. I'm guessing he's a regular on the house shows and may actually be passable now based on what KawadaSmile wrote.