Pro Wrestling Only

Mania Week Insanity 2019

El-P

I just love Wrestlemania week for the WAR-like random combinations that turn up in photos, like The Lucha Brothers and Ric Flair. 

Also Bruce Pritchard shared a photo of the Fink, which I think is the first time he's been out and about since he had the stroke. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, alexoblivion said:

I guess that means you watched that singles match Dandy had with Salvaje  in Guadalajara then?

We are covering it this week on SC, along with new Funks/Invaders in PR and an Eddy vs JBL match from Italy.

The one thing I was looking forward to the most didn't happen this year: Trips and Steph didn't spend an hour live-streaming the walk through Axxess.

The iMPACT show was good and fun for the most part, but the production was terrible. Tons of fuck-up, awful camera work, sound issues, bad mixing, bad timing. Really ?

As far as the matches went, Tessa Blanchard vs Joey Ryan was really, really good, I'd go so far to say it was the best match on the show. Tessa is just that good, great selling (either or she did hurt her shoulder), she went all in and did both the dick and lollipop spots (a cute moment was her trying to hide the fact she was almost laughing during Ryan's pre-match antics), Ryan was solid as hell and of course put Tessa over. Yeah, excellent stuff.

The Ultimate X is always cool with a few crazy spots and dive. Lucha Underground vs IMPACT match was pretty fun, with Dreamer taking the place of Johnny and Marty the Moth subbing for Fantasma (King Cuerno no more). Damn, watching Marty reminds me that I will miss LU. This guy needs to land somewhere. LAX vs Ki & Martinez had a cool interpromotional feel with the Konnan connection, although Salina was sorely missed. Damn, Ki is good. Good match with solid structure.

The four-way women's match was good when it was all about Taya vs Grace. Rosemary is a kinda cool character, but she doesn't show me much as far as in-ring work goes. The fourth girl twerked and did squats, literally and figuratively. 

So, Jimmy Havoc did the same Jimmy Havoc stuff, which I guess works if you see it once a year. To me it only "worked" because of Callihan. Dirty match, kinda fun, but Havoc really doesn't do shit for me, he's just a one-dimensional gimmick, and not a very good one.

Sabu & RVD were sad to watch. I expected as much from Sabu, who looks more and more like his uncle, but to me RVD looked even worse all things considered. I don't think he hit one of his spots halfway right. Ok, the dual jump was cool, but really it was pretty damn bad. I dunno why I expected anything, but I sure got less. Yeah, kinda sad to watch.

Nowhere near as good as the usual special iMPACT show, so in that respect you could say it was a disapointment. Then again, it was mostly quite good and fun apart from the main event.

Bloodsport still the #1 show thus far for me, easily.

4 hours ago, joeg said:

Just finished Bloodsport, if it wasn't the best show I've ever seen it was at least my favorite. Every match was an absolute banger, only the main event ran long, 2 1/2 hours of realistic violent, sports presentation wrestling. 

I'm thinking about ordering it. How was Severn/Mir and Barnett/Suzuki?

So I watched The Mark Hitchcock Memorial Show.  After watching Bloodsport everything else comes off as hokey and busch league. A lot of comedy matches and nostalgia matches.Lots of technical issues.  Fenix vs Pentagon, Dragon Lee vs Barbaro, and Bandido vs Ospreay were all good but not great. Parts of the show were fast forward level bad. I also watched parts of the Impact show. same thing.

Honestly Barnett vs Suzuki was exhausting to me, still great but so far from my cup of tea that it could never justify going as long as it did. Good for you if you get it but it's too slow and methodical. Gresham/Takeda was exactly my jam, though, just two men striking each other into comas. The whole thing besides the first match was really solid and it'd be my show of the weekend  (assuming I won't bother to watch Takeover) if Spring Break Night 1 hadn't delivered both probably the best deathmatch-as-spectacle you could ask for in the main and a very, very possible contender for the greatest comedy match of all time in the Invisible Brothers match

The Wrestlecon Mark Hitchcock Memorial Show was all around very good. Cool moment for Liger, great comedy from the Orange Cassidy & Best Friends vs SCU match, and although I didn't see most of Cavernario vs Dragon Lee, Bandido vs Ospreay and ZSJ vs Strickland were both great matches, especially the later which is going into MOTYC category for me. Best Strickland match I've seen since the insane garbage match against Dante Fox in LU. I'd say the three-way match with Flamita is the only one which fell kinda flat, but nothing bad on that show. I'm amazed Masato Tanaka is still as good as he seems to be. Tajiri hasn't aged much either.

1 hour ago, MikeCampbell said:

Last year Barnett was making noise about reviving the Japanese UWF. How do the Bloodsport matches, in general, compare to the style of UWF/UWFI/U-Style/etc?

Last year's mostly sucked. This year's mostly ruled. Nothing close to the technical trickery of the best japanese shoot-style stuff, because no one works that style anymore, but as far as working a realistic shoot-style in a post MMA world, this was pretty damn ace and actually made me think such a style could get back in style with monthly shows of the same kind of stuff. I loved the fact they did do total pro-spots at times like they would in the UWF style occasionally. 

@MikeCampbell I'd compare Bloodsport more to the hard hitting Inokism style of Kaz Fujita Noaya Ogawa era New Japan than the super slick matwork of Takada and Tamura in UWF and UWFi. if that makes sense.  

Just finished Spring Break. Really enjoyed it. It was hokey and stupid but my kind of hokey and stupid if that makes sense. So out of the 4 shows I've watched so far I'd rank them Bloodsport, Springbreak, Hitchcock Memorial, and Impact.  

There's just soooo much happening this week. And I'm only getting every 14th day off (as a fatigue day) right now, because the plants & refineries here on the Gulf Coast can't stop catching on fire lately. It's been insanity since February.

Anyway, it'd be GREATLY APPRECIATED if anyone can clue me in on what's worth seeking out or hunting down after everything has wrapped this weekend. I won't get the chance to catch ANY of it in real time, unfortunately. But I do plan on going back and selectively watching what I can after things have settled.

On 4/5/2019 at 4:33 PM, sek69 said:

I just love Wrestlemania week for the WAR-like random combinations that turn up in photos, like The Lucha Brothers and Ric Flair. 

Other fun picture combos I've seen so far:

Muta and Trish

LA Park, Hijo del LA Park, Konnan, and Dan Severn

Greg Valentine and Onita

Thanks. That's WAR random level for sure.

Meanwhile, I'm watching Spring break part 1. Well, the No Legs match was incredible. And the Invisible Man vs Invisible Stan match was one of the funniest, most absurd thing I've ever saw in a way that made so much sense in the pro-wrestling sense. Really, you could write an essay about this match and its inner workings and what it says about how pro-wrestling works. Fascinating and hilarious. Janella really is the mad scientist of pro-wrestling, I'm glad he's part of AEW (he looked pretty damn good against Marko Stunt too in the opener, which had the most ridiculous chop exchange ever).