Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 03/25 - 03/31: Angle vs. Joe! Angle vs. Styles! TNA! TNA! TNA!

The Thread Killer

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

There is just no way you can compare those unfunny hacks to an actual talent and draw like Money Mayweather. They're not celebrities, nobody knows who they are as actors or comedians. They represent a brand (SNL/NBC) and are only on this show to fulfill some corporate advertising agreement. Which wouldn't be terrible if it resulted in something entertaining and interesting. I couldn't care less about how this effects Braun other than it's not something anyone wants to watch. It's lame and boring and exposes the industry. Trifecta. 

It's corporate emissaries who are pretty good at being jackasses on live TV getting their asses handed by a monster among men. I bet people will have fun when they finally get their due, and stuff.

Also, Kurt Angle out here looking like Baby Sinclair and taking suicide dives from S'moa Joe

What was the point of the beat the clock challenge? Was there any reward for winning? The Riot Squad didn't have anything going for them before, but it's just burying them a little deeper. Ronda had a good line when she was at the top of the stage "you didn't win anything." Exactly my thoughts. Gimmicks like beat the clock make no sense when there are no stakes.

Not to defend their involvement in WrestleMania, but SNL gets twice the ratings that Raw does and it airs on Saturday nights from 11:30 to 1 AM while Raw airs in primetime and, for most months of the year, against little sports competition.

So, based on that, more people probably know who Michael Che and Colin Jost are than Seth Rollins, a guy whose been a WWE main eventer for years now. (I would say Braun Strowman, but just by his sheer size, people could probably randomly guess that he's a pro-wrestler while if you showed a random person a photo of Seth Rollins, they would just as easily say he's on Game of Thrones, is some sort of X-Games athlete or even NFL player, drums in a metal band, or is an MMA fighter.)

Love that Joe started this match with the headbutt as the first thing people remember of Joe vs Angle in TNA was the incredible shoot headbutt that busted him open.  Didn't love that Angle almost broke his neck on that suplex/DDT/whatever that was in the beginning.  

I guess Angle is going to face Lashley on RAW next week since I can't think of another TNA guy left that he hasn't finished out with

Are we really arguing about whether two SNL performers should be in a battle royal that nobody is going to remember an hour later.  Most people don't remember any of the previous Andre the Giant rumbles except Gronk doing a run-in a couple years ago.

1 minute ago, sek69 said:

Yeah, saying the guys who host the most popular segment on SNL are "nobodies" is some real inside the bubble thinking.

It's accurate thinking. They're the Apollo Crews of SNL. Weekend Update hasn't had buzz in years. Every time there's an episode of SNL, all the talk is about Alec Baldwin as Trump and other celebrity guests. 

Oh, I don't think anyone's saying they're Chevy Chase/Eddie Murphy/Adam Sandler level of stars. Kate McKinnon is probably the most well-known SNL star on the current cast. But they're on the show every week in the longest-running segment in the show's history. Just by doing it, that comes with a built-in positioning and stature that others never got. Colin Quinn is probably more well-known for his years as Weekend Update anchor than anything else in his career. The same is probably true of Norm MacDonald. 

Again, the numbers don't lie. SNL earns ratings twice as big as Raw. We may not want to believe it, but that would indicate Beck Bennett is weirdly more well known in the US than Finn Balor. 

5 minutes ago, DMJ said:

Again, the numbers don't lie. SNL earns ratings twice as big as Raw. We may not want to believe it, but that would indicate Beck Bennett is weirdly more well known in the US than Finn Balor. 

NBC is more widely available than USA. You'd have to look at the numbers beyond TV ratings. 

Twitter:

Beck Bennett 81.4K Followers

Finn Balor 1.3M GTFO

As a pretty hardcore snl fan I'd admit the current cast is light on star power.  As mentioned above Kate McKinnon is the most well known cast member now and even then all her movies have basically bombed pretty big the last 3-4 years.  There just aren't a lot of household names in the current cast

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

I guess Angle is going to face Lashley on RAW next week since I can't think of another TNA guy left that he hasn't finished out with

they announced Angle/Rey for next week. The last stop on the farewell before WM. I was hoping for Angle vs Bryan, but Angle/Lashley would've been a cool callback to his last Impact match.

56 minutes ago, NotJayTabb said:

WWE is a global brand though,  whereas while I'm aware of SNL, it has no visibility in the UK, and I suspect that's true for the rest of the world. 

This. Twitter (social network in general) followers mean jackshit. I'm sure Roman Reigns has more followers worldwide than any semi-famous talk-show host of each country. But I can assure you no one knows who the fuck Roman Reigns is in France apart from WWE fans, for instance, whereas any semi-famous talk-show host on French TV is, well, at least semi-famous in the mainstream. Yeah, that's stuck-in-the-bubble talk. The Real World doesn't care about WWE (which is why they can get way with the Saudi deal, mostly, and try to portray themselves as "innovators" when they are 20 years behind the times).