Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
flyonthewall2983

Dark Side of the Ring: Viceland docu-series

Just watched the Road Warriors episode. I heard Ellering tell the story about driving the van to the funeral on a shoot before but the way it's illustrated here, and the memory of Hawk's funeral did bring a tear to my eye. Joe Laurinitis' recent passing brought a whole new perspective to it obviously, but seeing how some of these guys are now is sad. Especially Droz, jesus. 

so word is season 3 will have episodes on:

-Jake Roberts's entire family (or mainly just "Grizzly Smith" apparently?)

-Brian Pillman

-Collision in Korea

-Nick Gage

personally i love that the Jake ep won't just be about Jake, there's so much else that isn't as widely known

Particularly curious about the Collision in Korea episode. I know so little about it, wonder what they'll dig up.

1 hour ago, Boss Rock said:

Waiting for an Inokiism episode.

i've thought for a while that Koji Kitao would make for an *amazing* episode for a Japanese equivalent to this series...

3 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Particularly curious about the Collision in Korea episode. I know so little about it, wonder what they'll dig up.

You might want to check out the episode of 83 Weeks they did on that PPV, it was fascinating.

"Jake Roberts's entire family" -is more "Grizzly Smith" which is obviously irredeemably depressing story.

I just hope it isn't a lazy cash-in on the True Crime/Youtube obsession with Paedos in the last two or years.

Ahhhhh, thanks for the clarification there!  Yea, same reservations but i'd rather have this than Jake's life story being aired out for the 100th time

Also really glad to see Nick Gage on there just bc i think this would be the first story that breaks out of boomer territory lol

Nick Gage going from shit deathmatch worker to convicted felon to great brawler/human being is as close to wholesome as pro wrestling gets.

Good lord the Jake's family episode is going to be something.

On top of Jake and Grizzly's obvious stuff, Rockin' Robin was an alcoholic, had a husband go to prison, and then lost everything in Katrina. Sam Houston has had an ungodly amount of DUI's, and also lost everything in Katrina. Now he and Baby Doll's daughter is in the business. 

and all I can think of is the exchange between Raven and Axl Rotten in a shoot interview...

Raven: Why don't you think that went anywhere?

Rotten: Enh, Grizzly Smith didn't like me.

Raven: Cause you weren't a 12 year old girl?

Rotten: Ha! Nah, man, he really fucked me.

Raven: So you were a 12 year old girl....

8 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

and all I can think of is the exchange between Raven and Axl Rotten in a shoot interview...

Raven: Why don't you think that went anywhere?

Rotten: Enh, Grizzly Smith didn't like me.

Raven: Cause you weren't a 12 year old girl?

Rotten: Ha! Nah, man, he really fucked me.

Raven: So you were a 12 year old girl....

That remains one of my all-time favourite Raven one-liner. I died back then watching that shit. So brillant.

Completely disgraceful that Grizzly Smith still held a backstage position with WCW into the mid-'90s and even appeared on-camera at times. 

I remember on the Cornette pod where he said that Justin Roberts looked like a pedophile, he said that after telling a story about Grizzly Smith. It really is sickening that his crimes were basically swept under the rug and he way always "one of the boys".