Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
flyonthewall2983

Dark Side of the Ring: Viceland docu-series

Based on what Cornette has said, it sounds like the Bedlam episode was practically done as a favor to him.  He said he had been trying to sell them on doing it since season 1 and they finally did it.  Yeah I wasn't that into it either even as a big SMW fan.  I thought the story could have been told in 15 minutes.

For a network that hardly anyone would have heard of except for this show, it's funny that Vice would try to dictate what's mainstream enough.  They are already into season 3, I'm not sure what more they can cover without getting into fringe people.  XPW and Nick Gage are certainly as obscure if not moreso than FMW.

What is the target audience for that series? I can't be (just) current and maybe lapsed fans. And if you take that away, almost everything they have done and could do is obscure. If the ratings on Wikipedia are somewhat reliable (both regarding the source and the metric itself), than there is not a big correlation between notoriety of the topic and the rating. In season 1, Gino Hernandez got the biggest rating, in season 2, the Jimmy Snuka - Nancy Argentino episode had less viewers than Herb Abrahms or David Schultz and this season, the Ultimate Warrior had one of the lesser ratings. The Benoit and Owen Hart episodes got good numbers, everything else just looks like white noise, depending on the statistical errors of the system and what else is on TV.

I guess it's the true crime stories maybe? I know Channel 4 in the UK is moving the series into that genre on their on demand service. 

What kind of numbers does it do in North America? Are they generally strong for its genre? 

Probably not that much of a hardcore pro-wrestling fan audience since apparently, MLW's ratings following the show totally sucked.

Next episode is Luna, right ? Now, this one I look very much forward to. I had been a Luna fan since the very first time I saw her (at Mania 9).

Man it's just so sad to see how Luna cared so much about the business and women's roles in it in an era where the business gave zero shits about women in wrestling.

It really is criminally forgotten how Luna (and Jacqueline) put in all the work to make Sable look like a star. All she ever wanted was someone to notice her efforts and no one in charge could be bothered.

Things that we knew already : Moolah was a piece of shit. Dick Slater was a piece of shit. The WWF Office were pieces of shit (the anecdote about the Mania post-match is just disgusting and heartbreaking).

Things I did not knew : that she actually was adopted. That she may or may not have been abused by her Aunt. That Dave Heath was not a real vampire !

I thought Dave Heath came off like such a good guy, and I can empathize so much, including when he talks about how he kinda felt guilty after he ended the relationship because he thought it was selfish of him to not take care of her anymore, because who would... It's crazy thinking (like he said, at some point you have no other choice but to leave), but this kind of relationship absolutely leads your there, I know first hand (on a less extreme degree of course, but still, to some pretty bad degrees).

One interesting bit in term of WWF culture that was absent in the doc is that when she went to WCW after ECW, she wasn't made a manager and they had her as a worker, at a time when WWF had no women's division left. So again, while the culture was bad, some places where worst than others... 

The whole Sable debacle is well known, and although Sable probably was over her head and got the big ego and was a bitch about it, it was the office responsibility to acknowledge Luna's work, which they did not do. Of course it was easy to put the blame on Luna's mental issues. Thankfully we've made a lot of progress, although not nearly enough. Also, that Royal Rumble's swimsuit stuff, with Lawler doing the intros and the bunch of old guys (and fucking pimp Moolah) giving notes is cringe as fuck now, on many levels. Pretty striking take that after all of these years of making her ugly, now they wanted her to be sexy, yet basically shamed her during the thing (well, I for one always thought she was beautiful and sexy, but that's way beside the point). Mick Foley's eulogy was quite touching I thought, and it was nice to end with that hilarious impersonation !

Yeah, Luna in 2021 would be a big star, no doubt.

I've known about Luna being adopted but that's always a huge WOAH because she really had the Vachon voice down. 

To me the WOAH was the suggestion Vivian abused her, which was a shocker to me since all I've ever heard was how she was the reason Luna wanted to be a wrestler. 

I just happened to do a ECW binge in the ol' Cock when they finally updated, and it really did stand out how much she was enjoying herself. The crowd loved her and it was the one place at the time where she could do her thing and get recognized for it. 

Man XPW was such a wild story even at the time I remember how even at the time I couldn't believe this shit was actually happening.