Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
flyonthewall2983

Dark Side of the Ring: Viceland docu-series

8 hours ago, sek69 said:

Man, this latest episode convinced me Jerry McDevitt is the slimiest lawyer of all time and 100% the guy I would want representing me if I was ever facing serious charges.

That was my exact take away from the episode. I mean, the whole thing was interesting, but if I am ever in serious trouble, I am going to pony up for this guy!

Based on personal experience, lawyers over time often become as seedy as their seedy clients. Constantly representing and defending them has an effect on you, even when you know you're just doing your job. 

17 hours ago, sek69 said:

Man, this latest episode convinced me Jerry McDevitt is the slimiest lawyer of all time and 100% the guy I would want representing me if I was ever facing serious charges.

Speaking as a lawyer, this is literally the worst and most wrong-headed conclusion you could draw from your assessment of McDevitt. Or maybe you're just making a joke, I can't quite tell.

2 minutes ago, Shrike02 said:

Speaking as a lawyer, this is literally the worst and most wrong-headed conclusion you could draw from your assessment of McDevitt. Or maybe you're just making a joke, I can't quite tell.

Joking, mostly. My takeaway is Jerry gives every impression he's a man who gets shit done but you probably wouldn't want to know how he does it. Like if I wanted to beat charges that I was 100% guilty of Jerry would be the guy I would want to represent me since I know he would do some shit to make it happen. 

8 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Joking, mostly. My takeaway is Jerry gives every impression he's a man who gets shit done but you probably wouldn't want to know how he does it. Like if I wanted to beat charges that I was 100% guilty of Jerry would be the guy I would want to represent me since I know he would do some shit to make it happen. 

I'm glad you admit to making a joke but speaking as someone who has practiced criminal law on the defense side, I hate seeing this sort of rationale even as a joke. The justice system, and any other institution, only functions if ethical people do the right thing. Take the burgeoning scandal that's enveloped the Chicago Blackhawks and the NHL, for example. At one point there were 7-8 hockey executives and a head coach in a room who had been informed that one of their players had reported a sexual assault by the video coach. Ultimately no-one had the courage to do the right thing and suspend the coach and report the allegations to the police; they only referred the matter to their HR department three weeks later and the organization gave him the option to resign or be the subject of an internal investigation. Guess what happened? He resigned and was convicted some years later of criminal charges of assaulting a minor.

The twisted logic that carried the day was their organization was close to reaching a Stanley Cup final and the team needed no distractions in pursuit of a championship. They put that objective over the safety of a player. And that's why eleven years later everyone in that room (except for one) has had to resign and been effectively expelled from the league.

But I suppose your joke comes from the premise is "I'm a selfish criminal who doesn't want to go to jail so I'll hope an unethical lawyer gives me a better chance to escape jail time".

But I assure you, that's equally wrong. In my experience the most skilled lawyers are those with the most integrity.

Rant over. I guess I should watch this episode.

I get that he may be an anomaly in the profession, but all available evidence highly suggests McDevitt is 1: a shitbag and 2 gets the results his client wants and is very skilled at his job.

Also it still boggles the mind that the US government (who as Jerry himself pointed out has a 90%+ rate of convictions or plea deals) made such a piss poor case. There seemed to be multiple ways they could have played their hand that would have Vince royally fucked, but they decided to put on a completely clown shoes effort. 

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

Keep in mind that most laymen get their ideas about how the criminal justice system works from shows like Breaking Bad.

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head. My last word on this topic.

I might be painfully slow on the uptake but it seems XPW is back?

They have their first show next weekend. Only sold 17% of tickets which is fitting.

There's actually been several attempts at relaunching/rebooting XPW, all end just as you would expect them to.