Pro Wrestling Only

43 minutes ago, Petey said:

Nothing stands out in particular but anything non-NWA/WCW is usually pretty good because Tony's particularly engaged and Conrad can't fall back on "LOLWCW so stupid!" or "mid-80's Crockett ain't for me".

I've never listened to a Tony/Conrad pod. I know he's a WWF fanboy at heart, but Conrad really doesn't like 80s Crockett? 

On 1/13/2020 at 7:31 PM, Ricky Jackson said:

I've never listened to a Tony/Conrad pod. I know he's a WWF fanboy at heart, but Conrad really doesn't like 80s Crockett? 

I think it's one of those where he feels like it just didn't age well. IIRC, Conrad said he first got into wrestling after watching the WrestleMania 4 tape and watched both WWF and NWA/WCW but ultimately was a huge Hulkamaniac as a kid.

I'm a little younger than Conrad and didn't have any real exposure to Crockett until Classics on Demand. I loved watching the TBS show from that era but different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I'm listening to the Royal Rumble 2005 episode which debuted today, and it's pretty hilarious but a bit in a sad way at the same time.  JR admits early on that he's drinking screwdrivers while they record.  By the time they get to reviewing the matches, it sounds like JR is maybe a bit toasted.  When they're discussing the Flair/Guerrero backstage segment, JR goes off on some totally out of left field rant about the developmental system and how you can't teach having "it" (which is true) but it seems like he's angry and having an argument, even though nobody is disagreeing with him.  Then while they're discussing the Undertaker/Heidenreich match, JR goes off into another tangent and ends up complaining about Donald Trump and media coverage of the Impeachment Trial(?!) Poor Conrad is having trouble keeping him on topic.  There's still around an hour to go, and I feel for Conrad trying to keep this thing on track.

Also, one thing that seems weird to me is that it feels like JR's show has more ads than Bischoff or Arn?  Either that, or it's just not as noticeable on those other shows as it is on this one.

I don't know, but I do know I never need to hear JR say the word "boner" during an an read ever again.

That Rumble 05 episode sounds like a glorious train wreck. I've got a chest day (best day) in the gym tomorrow, so this bad boy sounds ideal to have on tap for that. Looking forward to hearing him go off the rails and argue with the ether some more.

Oof. That Rumble 05 episode was not great. Riddled with rants and ad reads from start to finish, it just felt like it had no real flow. And they actually jumped right into the topic for a change, but that didn't help much.

I never got the sense JR was drunk, but he was as salty as ever and got sidetracked onto some strange tirades.

The Trump impeachment talk came way out of left field, and I could sort of sense Conrad's awkwardness in the moment. He quickly shifted gears and just basically began to read a beat by beat breakdown of the action for a fucking Hiedenreich match, just to drown out JR's political nonsense. Just bizarre.

Even the novelty of JR essentially arguing with himself can wear a little thin when you hear it four or five times within a two-hour show, I guess.

8 hours ago, BruiserBrody said:

Jim Ross dropping the big reveal that he paid for an abortion in 1990 and then going into a Jim Barnett impression over telling the news to the WCW office was....was...something....

Yeah, that was just plain uncomfortable.  I really don't know why JR felt the need to unburden himself about something like that on his podcast of all fucking places.  For a guy who is so hypersensitive to criticism about his age and sharpness, he sure does a lot of stuff that pretty much guarantees people are going to question his mental state.  Old Conrad couldn't get off that topic fast enough.

Knowing Conrad, I'm a bit surprised he didn't use it as a segue into an add read... 

"Speaking of getting pregnant, you know what helps with that, JR?  Blue Chew!  Especially if you use it and then take the women to bed on a Purple Mattress! And if the woman does get knocked up, and you have to drive her to the clinic, make sure and get your car checked at Rock Auto first!"

As much as I still enjoy J.R's insights on his PPV reviews, his rant on drug addicts during the Wrestlemania 2000 episode is something else. His grumpy outbursts can be entertaining, but he just comes as an ignorant piece of work. 

On 4/16/2020 at 7:13 AM, BruiserBrody said:

I gave the Vickie episode 30 mins or so and it didn't hook me.  Anyone want to sell me on finishing it? 

It's not a must listen episode or anything, but things do get fun around the 80 minute mark when JR finally snaps on the creative bankruptcy of 2009-2010 WWE after so many of the angles Conrad brings up keep repeating themselves and getting less and less logical. Good 5 minute plus tirade