Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 04/22 - 04/26: Institutionalized Insanity

KawadaSmile

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was giving the baby a bottle during AJ/Joe/Rey and thought I was distracted because it just wasn't holding my attention.  So after putting him to sleep I watched it again.  Quite disappointing.  I'm not quite sure what it is but everything felt just a tad too slow and choreographed, aside from the finish.  Everyone was going through the motions and it was quite disjointed for a WWE triple threat match, which often exceed expectations and make good use of the numbers.  Not on this occasion.

Am I crazy or was Becky/Alicia Fox a pretty solid TV match?  Pretty straight forward until the finish, but the opening headlock action was strong and Becky took a nice bump outside as well.  Becky's offense in a straight match still leaves a lot to be desired and her promos are becoming a bit too cute, but this over-delivered.

That Bray Wyatt business -- is this something about drugs?  I don't even think I'm kidding.  Literally no idea what I watched, whether he was a heel or babyface, if it was remotely genuine or pure trolling, or something else entirely.  Just beyond confused.

AJ/Seth is at least a fresh match on paper.  Hopefully both can pull out something solid that night.  Although going head to head with the Thrones finale it will have to wait until another night.

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

Disappointing result. Let's push the bland geek who puts people to sleep instead of the dynamic, exciting, buzzed about young star that WWE sure as hell wouldn't have gotten even a year later in the age of AEW.

My god. Imagine the inevitable Seth Rollins Vs. Robert Roode match.

Shoot me now!

The more I think about it, the more I really like Bray Wyatt's batshit insane gimmick change.

It's the first time since his debut that I've been genuinely interested in him.

And for once, he wasn't spouting meaningless gibberish. This version of Bray is actually coherent.

Could it still flop hard? Sure. WWE Creative is incompetent at best. But I assume Bray has been given some freedom with this. Then again, it's possible he had freedom last time too, and we all know how that turned out.

I'm incredibly interested in where this new Wyatt gimmick is going but I have to wonder how it translates into an in-ring change. Though having him return through a series of vignettes makes a lot of sense considering they're what got him so hyped in the first place.

Also, the constant name changes are starting to give me whiplash. So much of this seems like they're bouncing wildly from one train of thought to the next.

7 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS

Yeah, really. And considering WWE's track records with fucked up shit like is, I'll be Cassandra and say there's nearly zero chance of it ending well. Remember when the first Wyatt's vignettes and debut happened ? It looked like the coolest stuff in years. And then they never managed to make anything but crap with it, turning Bray into a black hole of suck. Which is a shame, because the guy really has something about him, as showed in this oddball piece of business. So yeah, intriguing in a WTF way, but it might as well be another Beaver Cleavage in the long run.

38 minutes ago, El-P said:

Yeah, really. And considering WWE's track records with fucked up shit like is, I'll be Cassandra and say there's nearly zero chance of it ending well. Remember when the first Wyatt's vignettes and debut happened ? It looked like the coolest stuff in years. And then they never managed to make anything but crap with it, turning Bray into a black hole of suck. Which is a shame, because the guy really has something about him, as showed in this oddball piece of business. So yeah, intriguing in a WTF way, but it might as well be another Beaver Cleavage in the long run.

I don't know, man. The original Wyatt stuff felt over like rover up until at least Mania 30. It didn't feel (to me) like they lost their way until the Cena cage match and that hokey ass finish. They went too cutesy with it and never pulled back from there. It's basically been a bunch of false restarts ever since, unfortunately.

I like Bray, for the most part. I realize that makes me an outlier, and I'm cool with that. Tbh I'm not even sure if it's cinders of that 2013/early 2014 run or what. But I keep holding onto hope that he puts the pieces together, for whatever reason. I feel like he got a raw deal with that awful WWE Title run, but he doesn't feel like anything resembling a main event act right now.

I'd like to see him become a player, but I'm not even sure where he should be slotted or how he could best contribute to a card. They're booking him like a complete novelty act whenever they DO use him, although I feel like that Roman HiaC match is the best sort of role for him. But I don't know. This fun house stuff is... Something else. Very bizarre.

6 hours ago, Coffey said:

My god. Imagine the inevitable Seth Rollins Vs. Robert Roode match.

Shoot me now!

People shit on it, but the instant they actually booked it (and you know they would) - folks would instantly come to the defense & start talking about how over both guys are. Cause, ya know, people react to their entrance music or some shit.

But yeah. Horrible. Straight nightmare fuel.

I don't want to see Rollins wrestle anyone, but if I had to see Rollins wrestle someone on the roster, Roode is probably up there. He'd base and stooge for him and prevent him from doing too many stupid things. I'm not saying it'd be a great match but it'd probably be solid and not annoy me. I saw Rude have a pretty excellent house show style match with Cedric at an NXT show a few years back. Sometimes I wonder if he's just not a good TV wrestler or what.

5 hours ago, El-P said:

I was super entertained in that vignette, which is more than I can say from the last..... 5 years or so of Bray Wyatt. Dude went through a whole Queer Eye makeover and looks good, plus the setup is completely over the top and self aware.

I'm shocked that I have positive things to say about Bray Wyatt without any "but". 

The reception to the new Bray Wyatt has been positive on every board/site I've visited. I think the introduction is the easy part of any character. Its the fish in their own water. Bray Wyatt hosting a bizarre, surreal 4-minute "children's show" with ugly puppets is great.

The hard part is how this character works as a wrestling character. What would motivate this character to enter a wrestling ring and compete? Its been a long time since the days of wrestling dentists and wrestling clowns. Back then, I think the show was so clearly marketed to kids that they got away with everything just being exactly what it was at face value. TL Hopper was a wrestling plumber because...he was a plumber who wrestled. There was no backstory, no purpose, no motivation. For Bray Wyatt, a guy who I believe the company still wants us to regard as a big deal, putting this new character into a wrestling context is going to take work. Like most people, it seems, I'm intrigued.