Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 04/29 - 05/05 Bolsonaro's strategy is worse than Jon Snow's

KawadaSmile

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's crazy they are getting all this money when their product is sinking to the lowest lows of popularity. This company is WCW, except with two awesome (uh uh) money deals.

Vince hasnt has legitimate competition in about 18 years, He used to being petty with talent and punishing them through booking. He is just going to throw deals out to keep certain guys that want to leave, It might not work for every talent but He'll try. Now that they have potential competition in AEW, Vince cant just be content with this money he has from these deals. Guys see more potential working the Indies or Japan or even Mexico outside of WWE. Even with NXT they have way to many people on their roster. Guys arent going to be ok with being moved to 205Live, then UK and NXT.

7 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Seeing Axel do the Perfect-Plex makes me sad for him, because while he may be "a good hand" and I do like him, he simply doesn't have whatever intangible his father did. 

NXT ruined him. He most likely would have been a solid midcarder and possibly advanced beyond that after finding his voice, but the genesis of McGillicutty promo destroyed whatever chance he had of being taken seriously.

Yeah the Superstar Shakeup has actually made the product worse. The only things that are working are things that would have happened without it.  The idea that you bring Roman Reigns to your product and the first feud you put him with is Elias is just baffling.

Does it really matter who they put Roman with at this point? Honestly? Are there ANY interesting options on the table? Their most brilliant idea will be to run an endless series of rematches between Roman and *insert name here* anyway.

With no story. With no stakes. With zero reason to care. It's all rather irrelevant WHO fills the rotating spot if there's no effort going into it.

Really though. What are their other options? Roman/Owens again? Christ.

They're creatively bankrupt at a time when they're also broke AF in the star-power department. No bueno.

The problem is, more compelling matches for Roman's first SD feud - let's say, for the sake of argument, Roman vs. Andrade, Roman vs. Zayn, or even Roman vs. Lars - would all have to end with Roman winning against fresh faces that really can't afford the loss right now.

Roman vs. Elias, while hardly earth-shattering, gives Roman someone he can beat against a heel who can easily get his heat back. 

I'm not exactly bowling over with excitement, but I get it.

Ironically, Roman vs. Shane would have been an interesting pairing - especially with Shane recently getting a big win under his belt - but that doesn't look to be happening. Instead, Shane will lose to Miz (which he should), making him a much less interesting and credible opponent for Roman after that, so why bother? 

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we get Roman vs. Shane at SummerSlam anyway.

3 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

I've heard some people speculate that the "You are the authority now" promo played a part in ratings dropping even more than usual the past few months. The McMahons openly acknowledged that the show sucked, but they haven't done anything to make it not suck since then. Specifically, they directly blamed Baron Corbin for the show sucking but continued to feature him in a prominent role. I'm sure most fans realize that Corbin doesn't actually have any control over the creative process, but recognizing that he has go-away heat with so many fans but continuing to push him feels like a huge FU to the fanbase.

WCW did this towards the end. Impact did it a number of times with the latest incarnation happening not too long ago on Pop TV. I am not sure how or why people think this is a good idea.  Moving chairs around the Titanic doesn't stop the leak. WWE used kayfabe and non kayfabe platforms to the stick blame on the talent. You want an interesting Raw? Let's bring in EC3. Shareholders worried about low attendance? No worries, Reigns is back and no one of note is out due to injury. This is crazy. Everything mentioned in this thread are relatively easy fixes. Bringing up Undisputed Era, Trevor Lee, and ACH to Raw isn't going to fix the problem. More McMahons will not fix the problem. More of the same isn't going to fix the problem.

57 minutes ago, fakeplastictrees said:

WCW did this towards the end. Impact did it a number of times with the latest incarnation happening not too long ago on Pop TV. I am not sure how or why people think this is a good idea. If I was a promoter and I knew I had declining ratings, historically high negative feedback, etc. I wouldn't tell people I know my show sucks, I would just start changing it. Moving chairs around the Titanic doesn't stop the leak. WWE used kayfabe and non kayfabe platforms to the stick blame on the talent. You want an interesting Raw? Let's bring in EC3! Shareholders worried about low attendance? No worries, Reigns is back and no one of note is out due to injury. This is crazy. Everything mentioned in this thread should be things WWE seriously sits down and figure out a plan to fix the glaring issues. Bringing up Undisputed Era, Trevor Lee, and ACH to Raw isn't going to fix the problems. More McMahons will not fix the problem. More of the same isn't going to fix the problems.

I think actually fixing things wouldn't be that difficult. My biggest concern is that they have chased people away for good and they aren't coming back.

The Moxley video is all sorts of silly/over-the-top/corny with symbolism so "on the nose" that I'm not sure it can even be called symbolism...but I'd be lying to say I wasn't excited about it. 

El-P mentioned that this video already makes him seem like a bigger star than he ever was in the WWE. I'm going to raise you one further, brother; If this same video was produced by WWE and aired on Raw in the weeks leading up to Dean's return from injury (instead of "Mox," it would just be hyping the return of an "unchained" Ambrose), it would be getting LOL reactions because (1) the video implies that barbwire and blood are in Dean's future and the WWE no longer does that and (2) the WWE's track record of booking stars is so atrocious that no matter how much a wrestler is hyped or promoted, we all know its only a matter of weeks before they're losing in the midcard, doing comedy gimmicks, or reading awful verbiage in the middle of the ring. 

So, in a sense, even if the WWE could set the table as well as this video does (and I'd argue that they could), its like, did anyone really believe that when Ambrose returned he was going to be treated seriously? How many months did he end up going before that butt injection skit? And , sure, its understandable why they'd pair him with EC3 and Nia Jax after it leaked that he wasn't re-signing...but even if he had re-signed, who would he have been trading wins with? Balor? Maybe feuded with Braun? Those don't sound too bad on paper, but they also don't sound super interesting and would've probably been booked the same as every other "filler feud" that the WWE does in the midcard these days.

10 hours ago, fakeplastictrees said:

Let's be honest, tomorrow WWE offers the entire main roster a chance to leave. Who walks? The Revival, Sasha, Bayley(?), The Club, Tyler Breeze, Harper, Ziggler (?). Honestly, I can see about 15-20 people easily wanting to explore AAA, CMLL, NJPW, ROH, Impact, or AEW. 

I am seriously waiting for Vince to snap and have the Bischoff "whoever wants to leave can leave" meeting as current WWE's final transformation into latter day WCW.

19 hours ago, FMKK said:

How can they be coming out of Wrestlemania with three feelgood babyface victories and have such a dead, lifeless show within a couple of weeks. There are absolutely no storylines ongoing whatsoever other than Shane vs Miz.

I'm ok with there being a lull right now. Better to have one now than in fall when it's critical that they get their act together. I expect them to be in a holding pattern until Summerslam.

3 hours ago, El-P said:

And don't forget what's coming next. The fucking XFL. Vince trying to do both will drive him insane (I mean, insane for someone who's already proven he's a sociopath).

Maybe the second failure of the XFL will finally be what pushes him all the way over the edge.

3 hours ago, Charles (Loss) said:

I'm ok with there being a lull right now. Better to have one now than in fall when it's critical that they get their act together. I expect them to be in a holding pattern until Summerslam.

I should add to this. I know better at this point than to expect WWE to be amazing all the time, but given the news of WWE actually doing real, serious things with the data they're collecting about why people are tuning out and the pressure to do well on Fox, I do think treading water for the next few months is an acceptable tradeoff. It took them a long time to get to this point, so it will take some time to get out of it.

3 hours ago, Charles (Loss) said:

This presumes that they're capable of getting their act together if they really want to. I don't know if we can make that presumption if the build to Mania this year is any indication.

They got Goldberg to do the Saudi show? I guess everybody really does have a price. To be honest, I'm more surprised that they would allow him into the country.

21 minutes ago, Charles (Loss) said:

I should add to this. I know better at this point than to expect WWE to be amazing all the time, but given the news of WWE actually doing real, serious things with the data they're collecting about why people are tuning out and the pressure to do well on Fox, I do think treading water for the next few months is an acceptable tradeoff. It took them a long time to get to this point, so it will take some time to get out of it.

I'm interested in these stories about the data because to me, the key is as much who they're collecting data from as much as what they do with it. If its from the sort of fan that bitches about WWE but always stays in touch with wrestling in some form, I'm not sure entirely how useful that is. 

12 hours ago, El Dragon said:

So guys I’m pretty sure Ambrose is really done with the E.

https://twitter.com/JonMoxley/status/1123438186410205184?s=20

AEW? Not sure who else would have the budget to produce something so cinematic?

I guess Dean could have paid for it himself, or secretly tapped WWE resources while he was still there, but I doubt it.

All the data in the world won't help if those in charge don't know what to do with it. They've been doing so many things wrong for so long that I don't think they know what right looks like. Most of the things people complain about with WWE are things people have been complaining about for the past decade. The difference is that they no longer have John Cena to prop things up. He was WWE's Goldberg in that his drawing power allowed the the leadership to turn a blind eye to the signs of structural rot. Now that he's gone and the well of stars from the past to drag out for big shows has run dry, the chickens are coming home to roost.