Pro Wrestling Only

AWA Worldwide Wrestling

Lee Casebolt

Loved seeing a vintage Southern angle with Magnum TA taking place in the Northeastern area. Given Magnum's appeal, no wonder people in Maryland got angry  at not seeing Magnum wrestle George Steele. Also, big fan of your heel Backlund!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Body" shows up and immediately there is a new threat to both of the singles titles.

Any combination of the Rougeau Brothers have to be a huge threat to the Tag Titles

Good stuff with Steele attacking Magnum backstage!

Backlund/Snuka in the cage at the Garden! Oh man, shit just got real!!

Jessie Ventura is back! Great promo and follows it up with a win.

You have made Fleming and Horowitz into one of the hottest tag teams in the game. Holding Robinson and Quinn to a draw is pretty damn impressive. 

Looks like we're heading into a wild Magnum/Animal feud! This is the kind of feud that will make Magnum a superstar here. 

Johnson has some serious momentum going as TV champ, this time defeating the Superstar.

Rougeaus and Albano's monsters has been a crazy feud. The Rougeaus making them bleed shows how tough they are. 

The Snuka/Backlund war continues and in MSG, they will meet in the CAGE!!!! 

Jesse the Body is right where he belongs, a great addition to your territory!

Great way to further build anticipation for Magnum vs. Steele, the crowd will be red hot when gets his hands on Steele!

Great win for the Rougeaus that just further establishes them as big stars here in Worldwide.

Backlund/Snuka in a Cage will very likely sell out the Garden!

AWA Worldwide touring schedule for 6/10 thru 6/15, 1984...

A Tour (6/10 Englishtown NJ, 6/11 Montreal, 6/12 Bangor ME, 6/15 Concord NH)

1. Jimmy Snuka vs. John Quinn
  2. Rocky Johnson vs. Jesse Ventura
  3. Andre the Giant vs. Superstar Billy Graham (6/11 only)
  4. Jacques, Raymond, & Armand Rougeau vs. Pierre Lafevbre, Sailor White, & Iron Mike Sharpe (6/11 only)
  5. Superstar Billy Graham vs. Jacques Rougeau
  6. Raymond & Armand Rougeau vs. Pierre Lafevbre & Sailor White
  7. Billy Robinson vs. Tim Horner
  8. Killer Bs vs. Pat Patterson & Rene Goulet
  9. Iron Mike Sharpe vs. Jose Estrada

B Tour (6/10 Higganaum CT, 6/11 Hershey PA, 6/12 New York City NY, 6/15 White Plains NY)

1. Wild Samoans vs. Pedro Morales & Johnny Rivera
  2. Bob Backlund vs. Billy Two Eagles
  3. Andre the Giant vs. Killer Khan (6/12 only)
  4. Magnum TA vs. Yasuyuki Fujii (6/12 only)
  5. Magnum TA vs. Killer Khan
  6. Kamala vs. Jose Gonzales
  7. Mark Fleming & Barry Horowitz vs. Batten Twins
  8. Yoshiaki Yatsu vs. SD Jones
  9. Grizzly Boone vs. Jose Luis Rivera

(6/16/84) Home Box Office, in association with Titan Sports, presents, live from Madison Square Garden, in New York City

saturday-nights-main-event-1989.jpg

Tonight's slate of professional wrestling action is sanctioned by the American Wrestling Association and the New York State Athletic Commission.

1. Promos from…
    1. Vince McMahon, announcing that George Steele has been fined $10,000 and suspended by the AWA for his heinous attack on Magnum TA. McMahon is joined by Freddie Blassie, representing Steele, and Magnum. Both men react angrily to the announcement, Blassie insisting it’s not fair and Magnum demanding he be allowed to fight Steele. Magnum makes Blassie an offer – next week, he’ll fight George Steele in a no-DQ match. If Steele wins, Magnum will pay his fine and serve his suspension. If Magnum wins, George Steele must leave AWA Worldwide. Blassie agrees, and McMahon says he’ll get it cleared with the AWA Board.
  2. Batten Twins def. Tim Horner & SD Jones after Brad pinned Horner with a clothesline off the second rope at 3:15.
  3. Magnum TA def. Yasuyuki Fujii at 2:24 with the belly to belly suplex.
  4. Mark Fleming, Barry Horowitz, Bernie Wright, and Dave Morgan def. Billy Robinson, John Quinn, Paul Lefevbre, and Sailor White when Fleming made White submit to the STF at 9:46.
  5. Vince McMahon announces that, starting next week, a special eight team tag tournament will begin. Matches will be held weekly, with the tournament winner to receive a shot at the AWA World Tag Team titles as part of a July prime time special to be held at The Forum in Montreal and broadcast live on HBO.
  6. Billy Two Eagles pinned Yoshiaki Yatsu w/ Arnold Skaaland at 4:14 with a sunset flip.
  7. Pedro Morales & Johnny Rivera def. the Killer Bs w/ Freddie Blassie when Morales made Beefcake submit to a Boston crab at 5:24. After the match, Beefcake is berated and fired by Blassie in mid-ring, and his replacement is introduced – Black Bart! Beefcake protests and is beaten down by Blair and Bart.
  8. Superstar Billy Graham w/ Freddie Blassie def. Rocky Johnson via count out at 9:01. Jesse Ventura attacked Johnson on the outside while Graham held the referee’s attention. Johnson fought back and Ventura ran away when the referee started his count. An enraged Johnson chased after Ventura while Graham raised his arms in victory as the referee’s count reached 10.
  9. Vince McMahon announces that the AWA Board of Directors has approved a special "Lights Out," no disqualification, no count out match between Magnum TA and George "The Animal" Steele for next week's SNME in Sherbrooke, Quebec.
  10. Armand Rougeau pinned Kamala w/ Lou Albano at 5:57 with a small package. 
  11. Andre the Giant def. Killer Khan w/ Lou Albano by DQ at 7:00. Andre had just suplexed Khan and was going for the cover when Kamala and the Samoans charged the ring. All four men attacked Andre, targeting his leg with a variety of attacks, including a steel chair. The three Rougeau brothers ran to Andre’s aid, chasing off Albano’s crew with chairs of their own. The show was stopped briefly as EMTs struggled to find a stretcher large enough to accommodate the injured Giant.
  12. The Wild Samoans w/ Lou Albano © def. Jacques and Raymond Rougeau to retain the AWA International Tag Titles when Afa pinned Jacques at 19:51. Armand was in his brothers’ corner while Kamala and Khan prowled the outside, so the referee was constantly trying to keep all three (four, counting Albano) from interfering in the match. Eventually a distraction from Albano let Khan hook Jacques’ ankle, and Afa blindsided Jacques when he turned to confront Khan, leading to the fall.
  13. Announcement – Andre the Giant has suffered a broken ankle, and is expected to be out at least a month.
  14. Bob Backlund w/ Arnold Skaaland def. Jimmy Snuka © in a steel cage match for the AWA International Title when Backlund escaped the cage at 16:02. Snuka was in control of the match and went for his Superfly splash off the top of the cage, but Backlund moved at the last second and Snuka crashed to the mat. Skaaland immediately demanded the cage door be opened and Backlund crawled out of the cage as a dazed Snuka lunged for his ankle just a moment too late. Backlund is the new AWA International Heavyweight Champion.

Awesome show here.  

My favorite was that it took Kamala, Khan and the Samoans to take him out.  Hope for a fast recovery.

Blassie seems to have a strong hold on controlling Worldwide but there is a good stable of Baby Faces in hot pursuit with Magnum being the lead dog.

Snuka-Backlund in a cage would be something the fans never forget.

Lot's of great action going down in the WWF! 

That Magnum/Steele Lights out match will be epic! 

Beefcake is out and Black Bart is in. Beefcake might turn into a top face after this. 

Ventura costs Johnson his match with Superstar. Cant wait for the next Johnson/Ventura match! I can just see Johnson unloading his lightning jabs on Ventura. 

It took 4 monsters to do it but they break Andre's ankle. They better watch out when the angry Giant comes back! 

Backlund wins the title!!! After a wild cage match, Backlund barely escapes and walks away the winner. Really loved this chase. 

9 hours ago, Lee Casebolt said:

Full disclosure, I fucked up the date of the Beefcake/Bart trade and that angle wasn't supposed to happen for another two weeks.

No worries man, we'll run with it!

I just need Bart 2 more dates, and then Bart-A-Mania can run wild here in Worldwide!!

Besides, getting Beefcake early actually helped me out of a jam, so it all works out!

Furthermore....

Looking forward to the tag team tournament.

The Superstar and Rocky Johnson is a feud I can get behind, and I hope "The Man of the Hour" gets his due!

Steele/Magnum is gonna be an awesome fight!

Oh man, when the Giant comes back Albano and his men better have one hell of a game plan....

and finally Mr. Backlund fulfills his destiny and vanquishes the plebian known as Jimmy Snuka and now the children once again have a champion worthy of emulating!

Fell a little behind. 

AWA Worldwide touring schedule for 6/17 through 6/22, 1984...

A Tour (6/18 Montreal, 6/20 Hamburg PA, 6/21 Erie PA, 6/22 Boston MA)

1. Bob Backlund vs. Raymond Rougeau
  2. Rocky Johnson vs. Jesse Ventura
  3. Jacques & Armand Rougeau vs. The Batten Twins
  4. Yoshiaki Yatsu vs. Pat Patterson
  5. Billy Robinson & John Quinn vs. Tim Horner & SD Jones
  6. Pierre Lafevbre & Sailor White vs. Jose Luis Rivera & Jose Estrada
  7. Dave Morgan vs. local talent

B Tour (6/17 Lancaster PA, 6/18 Scranton PA, 6/19 Allentown PA, 6/22 Pittsburgh PA)

1. Wild Samoans vs. Pedro Morales & Johnny Rivera
  2. Jimmy Snuka vs. Kamala
  3. Magnum TA vs. Killer Khan
  4. Mark Fleming & Barry Horowitz vs. Shunji Takano & Yasuyuki Fujii
  5. Jose Gonzales vs. Grizzly Boone
  6. Bernie Wright vs. Korstia Korchenko
  7. Billy Two Eagles vs local talent

(6/23/84) Home Box Office, in association with Titan Sports, presents, live from Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada

saturday-nights-main-event-1989.jpg

Tonight's slate of professional wrestling action is sanctioned by the American Wrestling Association and the Quebec Athletic Commission.

1. Promos from…
    1. Lou Albano w/ Kamala, Killer Khan, and the Wild Samoans – “Last week, we took out that stinking pile of trash, that so-called Giant, Andre! You won’t be seeing him again! This week, my Samoans destroy two more pieces of garbage, and take one more step towards their rightful place as tag team champions of the world! And Kamala and Killer Khan will eliminate thirteen other men in this over the top rope battle royal! I only hope they don’t accidentally destroy each other! HAHAHA!”
    2. Freddie Blassie w/ Jesse Ventura, Billy Graham, and George Steel – “Magnum TA! You got off easy one time. But there won’t be any security to save you tonight. There won’t be any rules to protect you. That referee can’t do anything but ring that bell when you finally give it up! And Rocky Johnson! We haven’t forgotten about you. The Superstar is gonna take what’s his tonight, and become the face of HBO as the television champion!”
    3. Magnum TA – “Animal! You tried to take me out with a sneak attack. A Pearl Harbor job. But you couldn’t get the job done. Well, Magnum TA doesn’t work like that. I’m coming straight for you, Steel. I want you to see me coming. And when I’m done, they won’t have to kick you out. You won’t want to come back to AWA Worldwide!”
  2. Bob Backlund title award ceremony. Vince McMahon and other AWA officials present Backlund and Arnold Skaaland with a brand new title belt, engraved with Backlund’s name, representing his reign as the AWA International Heavyweight champion. Backlund takes the mic and thanks McMahon and the AWA for “recognizing the greatness of a true champion in replacing that old hunk of tin which had been sullied by that wretched savage…” until he’s cut off by Snuka running to the ring and attacking him. The brawl between the two men tumbles out of the ring and continues down the aisle as officials and security try to separate them.
  3. Jesse Ventura def. Jose Luis Rivera by submission with a bear hug at 2:59.
  4. Tag Tournament 1st Round Match – Mark Fleming & Barry Horowitz def. The Batten Twins at 7:42 when Fleming caught Bart with a Thesz press.
  5. Armand Rougeau pinned Iron Mike Sharpe with a suplex at 5:04.
  6. Tag Tournament 1st Round Match – Wild Samoans w/ Lou Albano def. Pat Patterson & Rene Goulet at 10:21 when Afa pinned Goulet off of a double headbutt.
  7. Killer Khan won a 15 man battle royal. Also appearing were Armand Rougeau, Kamala, Yoshiaki Yatsu, Jose Gonzales, Brian Blair, Bernie Wright, Billy Two Eagles, SD Jones, Tim Horner, Korstia Korchenko, Yasuyuki Fuji, Shunji Takano, Jose Estrada, and Grizzly Boone.
  8. Tag Tournament 1st Round Match – Billy Robinson & John Quinn def. Pedro Morales & Johnny Rivera when Robinson pinned Morales with a double arm suplex at 12:52.
  9. Tag Tournament 1st Round Match – Jacques & Raymond Rougeau def. Sailor White & Paul Lafevbre after Jacques made White submit to a Boston crab at 12:34.
  10. Vince McMahon announces that a special four man junior heavyweight tournament is coming in July. The winner of that tournament will receive a match for the AWA World Junior Heavyweight Title on July 23 as part of AWA Worldwide’s prime time special event.
  11. Rocky Johnson put Superstar Billy Graham w/ Freddie Blassie out with a sleeper hold at 14:34 to retain the AWA/HBO Television title.
  12. WARNING – the following match is an UNSANCTIONED, no disqualification match. Viewer discretion is advised.
  13. Magnum TA def. George “The Animal” Steele w/ Freddie Blassie in a “lights out” no-DQ match. In a bloody affair that saw both men use basically every object at ringside as a weapon, Magnum was finally able to pin Steele after taking his own boot off and beating Animal repeatedly in the head with it at 13:11. George Steel is now banned from AWA Worldwide!

Really liked the tag tournament match ups. Samoans and Rougeaus look to be the favorites but I like the Quinn/Robinson duo. 

Johnson finishes off Graham with the sleeper as he continues to shine as TV champ. 

Khan is being built up nicely and gets a big battle royal win. This really adds intrigue to when Andre comes back. 

Backlund gets the new title belt but Snuka says this feud ISNT over!!! 

WOW! Magnum and Steele have a brutal match with Magnum coming out on top and sending Steele packing. This win establishes Magnum as a top dog. 

The tag team was fun but just picturing Lou Albano's stable of misfits at the interview with Vince would be awesome.  The faces that they all would be making would be the hook to keep my for the entire hour.  Magnum is one of my favorites and I am enjoying him in another setting then I am used to.

Big win for Magnum that really establishes him as a bad ass with the Worldwide audience!

Albano's monster stable is seemingly unstoppable....after taking out Andre...it would seem Khan or Kamala would both be major threats to Hogan's World title!

I have to admit I'm really pulling for the Rougeaus in this tag tournament

Man, I put Fleming and Horowitz together on a whim as an undercard team doing the pretty boys gimmick, and now they are advancing in your tag tournament! That's awesome stuff, and I'm glad you got them!

Loving the Snuka/Backlund feud and looking forward to the future twists and turns it has in store.

I know "The Body" is just getting started here in Worldwide, but I am also looking forward to him making a big impact (likely on someone's skull) real soon.

Killer Khan picking up the battle royal win is gonna infuriate the Giant. Pissed off Andre is gonna tear somebody up when he gets back.

Great job with Rocky Johnson as the TV Champ. He is the perfect good guy at the perfect spot on the card for that kind of title, and he is getting good wins against quality opponents.

and great job on the slow build of Magnum TA. He's dispatched Animal Steele, and now he can move on as we all wait in anticipation for him to set his sights on Mr. Backlund.