Pro Wrestling Only

AWA Worldwide Wrestling

Lee Casebolt

AWA Worldwide touring schedule for 6/24 thru 6/29

A Tour (6/25 Montreal, 6/27 New York City NY, 6/29 Niagra Falls NY)

1. Bob Backlund vs. Armand Rougeau
  2. Rocky Johnson vs. Jesse Ventura
  3. Jacques & Raymond Rougeau vs. The Batten Twins
  4. Superstar Billy Graham vs. Jose Estrada
  5. Yoshiaki Yatsu vs. SD Jones
  6. Billy Robinson & John Quinn vs. Pat Patterson & Rene Goulet
  7. Tim Horner vs. Sailor White
  8. Paul Lafevbre vs. local talent

B Tour (6/24 Hartford CT, 6/26 Providence RI, 6/28 Brooklyn NY)

1. Wild Samoans vs. Pedro Morales & Johnny Rivera
  2. Jimmy Snuka vs. Kamala
  3. Magnum TA vs. Grizzly Boone
  4. Mark Fleming & Barry Horowitz vs. Shunji Takano & Yasuyuki Fujii
  5. Killer Khan vs. Jose Gonzales
  6. Bernie Wright vs. Korstia Korchenko
  7. Billy Two Eagles vs. local talent
  8. Dave Morgan vs. local talent
  9. Tommy Wright vs. local talent

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(6/30/84) Home Box Office, in association with Titan Sports, presents, live from Elizabeth, New Jersey

saturday-nights-main-event-1989.jpg

Tonight's slate of professional wrestling action is sanctioned by the American Wrestling Association and the New Jersey State Athletic Commission.

SNME 6-30 (Elizabeth NJ)

1. Promos from…
    1. Bob Backlund w/ Billy Graham, Jesse Ventura, Yoshiaki Yatsu, Korstia Korchenko, Freddie Blassie, & Arnold Skaaland - "Tonight what you plebians see before you is the greatest collection of wrestling talent ever assembled! The forces no promoter ever wanted to see joined, myself and the Olympian Mr. Yoshiaki Yatsu-san alongside Mr. Blassie's men - the great Billy Graham, the estimable Jesse Ventura, and the acceptable Korstia Korchenko. And to oppose us we have that backstabbing coward James Snuka, the paper champion Rockald Johnson, Magnum TA - if that is your real name - Jose Gonazales, and a rookie - A ROOKIE - named William Two Eagles. I am insulted, INSULTED, at the disrespect I have been shown as a champion in being subjected to this farce of a match. And I will take that disrespect out on each and every one of you!"
    2. Magnum TA w/ Jimmy Snuka, Rocky Johnson, Jose Gonzales, & Billy Two Eagles - "
  2. Killer Khan w/ Lou Albano def. Rene Goulet & Jose Estrada in a handicap match when Khan pinned Goulet at 6:42.
  3. Shunji Takano pinned SD Jones at 12:51 after a dropkick from the top rope.
  4. Jose Gonzales pinned Yasuyuki Fujii after a DDT at 7:42.
  5. Armand Rougeau pinned Kamala w/ Lou Albano with a crossbody off the top rope at 10:29.
  6. Billy Robinson & John Quinn def. Jacques & Raymond Rougeau when Robinson pinned Jacques with an inside cradle at 13:13. Rougeau had been distracted by Albano leading the Samoans down to ringside. He could be overheard on ringside commentary talking about "scouting the opposition" while the Samoans prowled menacingly at ringside. After the match, the Rougeaus and Samoans did a lot of pointing and yelling, but officials kept them separated. The Rougeaus remained at ringside, joining the commentary table. "Fair is fair," Raymond said. 
  7. Mark Fleming & Barry Horowitz def. The Wild Samoans w/ Lou Albano when Horowitz pinned Afa with a 3/4 nelson cradle at 3:43. Afa was distracted by the Rougeaus arguing with Albano at ringside. After the match, the Rougeaus celebrated with Fleming and Horowitz while the Samoans and Albano retreated from ringside, promising revenge.
  8. Jimmy Snuka, Rocky Johnson, Magnum TA, Jose Gonzales, & Billy Two Eagles def. Bob Backlund, Superstar Billy Graham, Jesse Ventura, Yoshiaki Yatsu, & Korstia Korchenko w/ Freddie Blassie & Arnold Skaaland, two falls to one.
    1. Snuka pinned Yatsu with the Superfly Splash at 9:12
    2. Backlund made Gonzales submit to the crossface chicken wing at 20:24
    3. Magnum pinned Korchenko with the belly to belly suplex at 37:24.

HUGE win for Armand Rougeau over Kamala! I like it!

Holy crap Fleming/Horowitz sneak one past the Samoans thanks to the Rougeau Brothers....the 2nd time tonight the Rougeaus stick it to Albano....I suspect there will be hell to pay for both!

Big 10 man tag for the main event with the right people getting the falls and the right people losing them. Well done.

HAHAHAHA- Rockald Johnson, what a name! Backlund is becoming my favorite promo in the game.

Khan is mowing down the opposition, this time in a handicap match. This is a great build for when Andre comes back. 

Armand gets a HUGE win over Kamala! 

My guys Quinn and Robinson get a big win over the Rougeaus thanks to some help from the Samoans. 

Rougeaus get payback as Fleming and Horowitz get the biggest win of their careers over the Samoans. Rougeaus and Samoans are heading for a explosive match. 

Faces win a gigantic 10 man 2 out of 3 falls main event! Snuka, Backlund and Magnum come out looking strong. 

Magnum TA... IF that is your real name... the "acceptable" Korchenko.... and yes Rockald Johnson. Backlund was a hoot here. If only he had used that charisma during his WWF title run.

Great main event along with a fun undercard. Would have been cool to see this show air in reverse order like they did with the real SNME, because the main event here would have really got the show off and running HOT. The more Backlund, the better.

Very surprised to see the Samoans and Kamala take losses here to much smaller and inexperienced opponents. 1984 Kamala was a BEAST... Curious to see what type of push is in store for Armand. 

That promo was spectacular!  Rockald Johnson!  Acceptable Korchenko and questioning T.A.'a name!  Perfect.

I do think you could get more out of Kamala.  I thought he would squash Armand.  Same with the Samoans losing to two jobbers.  Albano must be fuming!  Maybe he is in search of a new stable!

Gonna try to catch up the next couple days. No tour cards and probably not many promos, but at least the SNMEs will get caught up this week.

(7/7/84) Home Box Office, in association with Titan Sports, presents, live from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - 

Tonight's slate of professional wrestling action is sanctioned by the American Wrestling Association and the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission.

1. Killer Khan def. Tommy Wright and Jose Estrada in a handicap match, pinning Wright at 2:17 after a double karate thrust to the throat.
  2. Bob Roop pinned Pat Patterson after a shoulderbreaker at 5:38.
  3. The Killer Bs, Brian Blair and Black Bart w/ Freddie Blassie, def. Pedro Morales & Johnny Rivera when Bart pinned Morales after a legdrop off the second rope at 10:35.
  4. Promo video of the teams of Robinson & Quinn and Fleming & Horowitz training for the tag team tournament final.
  5. Junior HW Tournament – Billy Two Eagles pinned Bernie Wright with a rolling cradle at 6:44.
  6. Junior HW Tournament – Dave Morgan pinned Tim Horner with a backlide at 6:10.
  7. Promo video of AWA World Junior Heavyweight Champion Brad Armstrong.
  8. Magnum TA pinned Jesse Ventura with a belly to belly suplex at 12:02.
  9. Bob Backlund w/ Arnold Skaaland def. Jimmy Snuka at 17:39 by countout to retain the AWA International Heavyweight title.
  10. The Rougeau Brothers def. The Wild Samoans & Kamala w/ Lou Albano by DQ at 21:58 when Killer Khan interfered. The seven men brawled in and out of the ring, swinging chairs, throwing each other into tables and guard rails, and bleeding all over the place until referees, security, and wrestlers from the back were able to separate them.

Next week! The finals of the Junior Heavyweight and Tag Team tournaments! Plus a special announcement from Vince McMahon!

I know it's probably not your intent but the thought in my head of Black Bart wearing the infamous Killer Bee mask cracks me up. I can already imagine Bart backstage, pleading to not wear it.  "I AIN'T WEARIN' NO DADGUM MASK!"

Glad to see you back!

Big handicap win for Killer Khan! Whoever comes out of the Backlund/Snuka war with the title had best be on the look out for Khan.

Roop picks up a good one over Patterson, and we have yet another potential contender for either the Heavyweight or Television titles

I am pulling for Two Eagles to win that Junior Title!!

Magnum picks up a huge win over "The Body" and again, another contender!

Backlund gets it by Count Out, and we are still a long way from being done here. This is a great feud.

A good old fashioned wild brawl to end the show is always a fine way to end things!!

Looking forward to the tag and junior finals, and the return of Bob Backlund interviews!!!

Great to see you back! 

Khan continues his path of destruction.

Bob Roop gets credibility right away with a win over Pat Patterson

Blair and Bart make such a unique team. Teaming together guys like this is what makes this game fun. 

Jr. tourney provides some exciting match ups.

Magnum continues his hot streak with a win over the Body! 

Awesome feuds like Snuka/Backlund and Rougeaus/Samoans continue to keep the fire burning. 

I know I owe everybody a bunch of commentary on their shows, too, especially the new people. I'll get caught up... someday.

(7/14/84) Home Box Office, in association with Titan Sports, presents, live from Boston Garden in Boston, Massachusetts

Tonight's slate of professional wrestling action is sanctioned by the American Wrestling Association and the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission.

1. Footage from a mid-week meeting at Titan Sports headquarters. Vince McMahon is in a room with Lou Albano, his whole crew, and all three Rougeaus. According to McMahon, athletic commissions are breathing down his neck, and the AWA will not allow this sort of chaos to continue. Therefore he has no choice but to suspend all seven men for at least a month, and no future matches will be booked between them.
  • Lots of yelling
  • Lots and lots of yelling
  • Finally, everyone quiets down and Jacques speaks. He reminds Vince that when Magnum and Steele got out of control, they got an unsanctioned match to settle their differences. They all deserve the same chance. He makes this offer – one unsanctioned cage match, Albano’s men on one side, the Rougeaus and a partner of their choosing on the other. No disqualifications. No pinfalls. “Submit or surrender!” If Albano’s men win, the Rougeaus will voluntarily leave the territory for at least one year. If the Rougeau’s team wins, the winner of the fall and a partner of his choice get the Samoans’ tag titles. “Who we defend them against is up to you.”
  • More yelling
  • Finally, though, Albano agrees to the deal, and Vince relents. “One last match, then. Unsanctioned. Whatever happens, it’s on you. But I’m not booking you until then and I’m not booking you against each other ever again. It’ll be one brawl to end it all.”
  1. Yoshiaki Yatsu w/ Arnold Skaaland forced Rene Goulet to submit to the prison lock at 6:17.
  2. SD Jones pinned Yasuyuki Fujii with a flying headbutt at 4:27.
  3. The Killer Bs w/ Freddie Blassie went to a 20 minute time limit draw with Pedro Morales and Johnny Rivera.
  4. Bob Roop pinned Jose Gonzales with a shoulderbreaker at 8:00. Gonzales complained that his foot was on the ropes, but the referee insisted he didn’t see it.
  5. Rocky Johnson def. Superstar Billy Graham w/ Freddie Blassie and Jesse Ventura at 12:12 by disqualification. Ventura tripped Johnson several times throughout the match, leading to swings in momentum and nearfalls. Eventually the referee caught him and disqualified Graham for outside interference, to many complaints from Blassie and his men.
  6. Junior HW Tournament Final – Billy Two Eagles pinned Dave Morgan with a cross body block at 9:43.
  7. Tag Tournament Final – Mark Fleming & Barry Horowitz def. Billy Robinson & John Quinn at 13:15 when Fleming pinned Quinn with a backslide.
  8. Bob Backlund w/ Arnold Skaaland def. Jimmy Snuka by countout at 15:52 to retain the AWA International title. The two men were brawling on the floor. Backlund hit an atomic drop that drove Snuka into the ringpost. Backlund was able to beat the count; Snuka was not.

(7/21/84) Home Box Office, in association with Titan Sports, presents, live from the Providence Civic Center in Providence, Rhode Island

Tonight's slate of professional wrestling action is sanctioned by the American Wrestling Association and the Rhode Island State Athletic Commission.

1. Promo training video for Mark Fleming and Barry Horowitz as they practice doing complicated technical shit to some muscled up jobbers who are clearly supposed to be simulating the Road Warriors in training.
  2. Promo training video for Billy Two Eagles, working out with Jimmy Snuka
  3. Big promo video for THE BRAWL TO END IT ALL – coming in just two days LIVE in PRIME TIME and only on HBO! Featuring two world title matches! And the eight man, lights out, submit or surrender cage match pitting Albano’s Army against The Rougeaus and a mystery partner!
  4. Rampant speculation between announcers about who the Rougeaus’ partner could be. Will Dino Bravo return? It could be Rick Martel! Or Ronnie Garvin! Ricky Steamboat, Dusty Rhodes, and Paul Orndorff are all here tonight… it could be any one of them!
  5. Bob Roop submitted Jose Estrada with a shoulderbreaker into an arm bar at 2:59.
  6. Ricky Steamboat pinned Iron Mike Sharpe with a cross body off the top at 6:51.
  7. Pierre Lafevbre & Sailor White def. Rene Goulet & Pat Patterson at 4:31
  8. Dusty Rhodes def. Grizzly Boone with a bionic elbow at 5:10.
  9. The Batten Twins def. Tim Horner & Tommy Wright at 5:14
  10. Yoshiaki Yatsu def. SD Jones with the prison lock at 4:55.
  11. Jose Gonzales, Johnny Rivera, and Pedro Morales def. The Killer B’s and Korstia Korchenko w/ Freddie Blassie when Rivera put Korchenko out with a sleeper hold at 12:56.
  12. Magnum TA pinned Jesse Ventura w/ Freddie Blassie at 14:25 with a belly to belly suplex. After the match, Paul Orndorff appeared out of the crowd and attacked Magnum from behind. Dusty Rhodes made the save.
  13. Jimmy Snuka def. Bob Backlund by disqualification at 15:02. Backlund cracked Snuka with the title belt, drawing the disqualification, then continued to abuse him out on the floor. When he was pulling away the ringside mats to expose the concrete floor, Ricky Steamboat ran in to make the save.

Coming 7-23 - THE BRAWL TO END IT ALL!

(Actually, it'll be up tomorrow.)

I'm looking forward to who will be the Rougeaus' mystery partner. Obviously, my gut goes straight to the Lutte Internationale connection in thinking it's either Rick Martel or Dino Bravo but it could literally be anyone in the AWA.

Horowitz (and Fleming) Wins! The most unlikely team are officially the Tag Champions! I like it!! I especially like them training for The Road Warriors!

Glad to see Two Eagles take the gold.

Yatsu is quietly racking up the wins with his Prison Lock and could be knocking on the door of Rocky Johnson for a title shot real soon.

Magnum is taking out suckers left and right. That potential is starting to show, and whoever walks out of this Backlund/Snuka feud with the belt is in a LOT of trouble.

Speaking of which, eventually we're gonna get that No DQ, No Count Out match, and I can't wait to see who comes out the champion!

Afa, Sika, Kamala, and Killer Khan against three dirty, stinking, cheating Rougeau's and whoever is dumb enough to team with them...... I have faith the Captain will have his men ready to drive that threat back into the Canadian wilderness where it belongs!

Digging the storylines man, looking forward to The Brawl!!

Horowitz and Fleming are defiantly the Cinderella tag team of the entire league! 

Bob Roop is gaining serious momentum.

Johnson continues his great reign as he's fighting the odds with Graham and Ventura. 

Nice job using stars throughout the territory. Loved the interaction with Magnum, Orndorff and Dusty here in the WWF. So surreal but just to cool. 

Snuka and Backlund continue to tear it up with Backlund escaping with the title. Could Steamboat be next up for Backlund? 

The Brawl of All! That's going to be one wild cage match. Even Vince says this is on them. Cant wait! 

I'm enjoying Backlund here... If you watch Pro Wrestling USA from 1985 or so you'll note how tremendous he looked. He really trimmed down and got toned and looked the part of an "80s rassler". This would have been a perfect time for a heel run. 

Enjoyed the Fleming and Horowitz shtick.

FUn match with Magnum vs. Ventura. The Orndorff run in was fun too until old Dusty had to come in and ruin it. He must have the book. :P

• 3 weeks later...

(7/23/84) Home Box Office, in association with Titan Sports, presents, live from the Forum in Montreal, Quebec, Canada....

THE BRAWL TO END IT ALL

WARNING - The main event of tonight's show is UNSANCTIONED by the American Wrestling Association, and may not be suitable for all viewers. Viewer discretion is advised. 

1.       AWA World Junior Heavyweight Title – Brad Armstrong © pinned Billy Two Eagles after a side Russian leg sweep at 12:57 to retain the AWA World Junior Heavyweight title.

2.       AWA World Tag Team Titles – The Road Warriors w/ Paul Ellering © def. Mark Fleming & Barry Horowitz to retain the AWA World Tag Team titles. Hawk pinned Horowitz at 10:31 after the Doomsday Device.

3.       Magnum TA, Rocky Johnson, & Dusty Rhodes def. Billy Graham, Jesse Ventura, & Paul Orndorff w/ Freddie Blassie when Magnum pinned Orndorff with the belly to belly at 12:49.

4.       Bob Backlund w/ Arnold Skaaland © def. Ricky Steamboat to retain the AWA International Heavyweight Title. Steamboat had Backlund trapped in a small package, but Skaaland distracted the referee and Yoshiaki Yatsu, at ringside, pushed the wrestlers over so Backlund was on top. Backlund gets the pin at 13:57.

5.       The Rougeaus and ANDRE THE GIANT def. Afa, Sika, Kamala, & Killer Khan w/ Lou Albano in an eight man, no-disqualification, "I Quit" two-ring cage match. Andre was the last team member to appear, leg still in a cast from last month's attack. He was clearly hobbled but still capable. Jacques Rougeau forced Sika to submit to a Boston Crab at 21:22. Jacques and Raymond Rougeau were awarded the tag team titles as a result.

Show starts off with an action packed opener as Armstrong retains against Billy Two Eagles. 

Event though they lost, hats off to Horowitz and Fleming for going more than 10 minutes with the Road Warriors.

Fun 6 man tag as Magnum gets the pin on Mr. Wonderful. 

So fun seeing Arnold as a heel manager. Yatsu costs Steamboat his chance at gold against Backlund. A real classic here. 

Rougeaus win the titles per stipulation! What a wild match! Cant wait for the inevitable Andre/Khan one on one match.