Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 5/20-5/26 RAW IS WILDCARD TITLE

sek69

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Cowboy Hats 4.0 said:

Did they explain why the New Day couldn’t immediately run out to help their pal?

Owens attacked Big E backstage (though we were only shown E on the floor grabbing his injured knee) and Xavier sent Kofi alone while he helped the big fella.

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

That pairing with Lana torpedoed him and he never quite recovered. 

Because even though everyone knows wrestling is fake, no one likes being reminded so blatantly. It was impossible to suspend disbelief for that angle because everyone knew Rusev and Lana were together in real life. 

Plus, Dolph - the babyface - was made to look like a sleazy gigolo for that entire angle.   

To be fair.....as fair as one can be when talking about this arrangement at least.... they really toned down the most appalling part of the deal already. The first Saudi show was basically a puff piece saying how wonderful and progressive the Kingdom is now, and  basically serving as a big wet kiss to the royal family. MBS blew all that PR himself, and now these are basically paid spot shows for him to play IRL e-fed booker. They don't really matter much in WWE storylines, and it seems like the only hook left is saying it's "as big if not bigger than Wrestlemania" which would be a slap in the face to people who pay to go to Mania if it wasn't such a blatant attempt to give the Saudis some value for all the money they spent. 

Kevin Owens and Daniel Bryan are refusing to work the Saudi blood money show. (Sami Zayn obviously won't be there either.)

4 minutes ago, sek69 said:

it seems like the only hook left is saying it's "as big if not bigger than Wrestlemania" which would be a slap in the face to people who pay to go to Mania if it wasn't such a blatant attempt to give the Saudis some value for all the money they spent. 

Is it such a blatant attempt though? Taker vs. Goldberg is absolutely a WrestleMania-level match. Geeks will say "not from a workrate rasslin' perspective" but those fans don't and never have mattered. I would've been stoked to see it as a spectacle at Mania. Ditto for the HBK comeback. Alas, I never will - because I refuse to watch Saudi shows (I saw the first one, which I'm glad I did, only because I can say I experienced the most jaw-dropping, misguided, one-sided, shortsighted propaganda I have ever seen occur in my lifetime). 

17 minutes ago, sek69 said:

The first Saudi show was basically a puff piece saying how wonderful and progressive the Kingdom is now, and  basically serving as a big wet kiss to the royal family. 

Well, let's see (not for ourselves, because I ain't watching this) if there is gonna be any propaganda (I mean pro-active, the mere fact they are doing the shows are propaganda) on the next show, because it's basically why the Saudis bought those shows to begin with. I'd be surprised if it doesn't return in one form or another. Maybe it's too close from last fall debacle still, but...

Good for Bryan & Owens. Hey people, if Kevin Owens can refuse to go, many others could have too.

It certainly was WM level match somewhere around 1999-2005 which seems to be the entirety of MBS's wrestling fandom. In 2019? Not so much. I don't think even the most fervent WWE supporter really wants to see those two creak around in a Mania match now. If these shows become the equivalent of the WWE Senior Tour, I'm fine with it. Let MBS book the old timers and keep current Manias to only the standard HHH Epic in terms of that generation.

Alestair Black is also on the list of folks saying they won't go to Saudi Arabia now. Funny if this catches on, after all the years of waiting for mainstream media to pay attention to nonsense like this the monster ends up being inside the house.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

Well, let's see (not for ourselves, because I ain't watching this) if there is gonna be any propaganda (I mean pro-active, the mere fact they are doing the shows are propaganda) on the next show, because it's basically why the Saudis bought those shows to begin with. I'd be surprised if it doesn't return in one form or another. Maybe it's too close from last fall debacle still, but...

Good for Bryan & Owens. Hey people, if Kevin Owens can refuse to go, many others could have too.

Maybe Goldberg doing a clean job will be propaganda enough for them

50 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Alestair Black is also on the list of folks saying they won't go to Saudi Arabia now. Funny if this catches on, after all the years of waiting for mainstream media to pay attention to nonsense like this the monster ends up being inside the house.

I wonder if AEW being around doesn't shake things a bit too. I mean, it seems like the whole "be afraid of being fired" attitude is less and less of a thing. And WWE won't fire anyone over not wanting to go to Saudi Arabia anyway, especially now.

38 minutes ago, FMKK said:

Maybe Goldberg doing a clean job will be propaganda enough for them

Ah ah, well done.

On 5/21/2019 at 2:11 AM, SirEdger said:

Yeah, seems to be an aesthetic choice visually.

Looks like I'm the only one here who actually likes that concept. I'd rather see midcard acts being used on TV than just standing in line at catering.

- Footage of wrestlers standing around in catering being themselves would probably be more interesting, funny, and help said wrestlers get over more than wrestling to be  the "LOL Champion" for 3 days or whatever. I mean, did you hear the Good Brothers on Austin's podcast? You can stare at a brick wall and listen to that on headphones and it'll bring more smiles to your face than the average episode of RAW these days.

- Saw the Ziggler segment and dug it. I wrote about it in the MITB thread, but I'm far more into actual heel/face drama than "let's see who the better wrestler is" bullshit like the Rollins/Styles match. The Bryan/Kofi  Mania match is my WWE MOTY simply because, even if it was imperfect, there wasn't a single "This is Awesome" chant. People cared about who was going to win because Bryan winning would've pissed them off. Owens face/heel flip was too sudden for anyone to really care, but this angle at least started off hot with a heel doing something vicious to a face and the face being sympathetic (and not made to look like an idiot, i.e Kofi ever, even slightly, thinking Owens wasn't going to turn on him). 

I'm watching Smackdown, and was enjoying it, and then an ad for Blood Money 3 came on and I was all ready to be pissed. Until I saw it. It's really fast and only thing the VO guy says is " WWE Super show down, live from Jedda, will be as good as, or will exceed WrestleMania."   Vince didn't write that. The Saudis did. Did they just use the drop they made for English speaking people in Saudi Arabia?  It's fucking hilarious.  

What are the chances the 24/7 title was a Bruce suggestion?

He seems to look back on the hardcore title silliness with rose-colored glasses, and I'm pretty sure he has fond memories of producing the Crash Holly stuff.

I don't exactly think it's a good idea, but at least it's different. If it fills up TV time with anything other than another meaningless wrestling match that stretches over three segments, then sure. Bring on the childish, unfunny comedy skit I guess.

If they somehow stumble onto something that gets over, then good on them. If not, then alright. It's just another Monday. Because it's not like they were getting anyone over with the seventh super long wrestling match on Raw every week either.

With their booking and presentation, I actually think there's an argument to be made that this has a higher chance of success than any of their usual stuff. Their usual stuff is just that bad.

11 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

What are the chances the 24/7 title was a Bruce suggestion?

He seems to look back on the hardcore title silliness with rose-colored glasses, and I'm pretty sure he has fond memories of producing the Crash Holly stuff.

I don't exactly think it's a good idea, but at least it's different. If it fills up TV time with anything other than another meaningless wrestling match that stretches over three segments, then sure. Bring on the childish, unfunny comedy skit I guess.

If they somehow stumble onto something that gets over, then good on them. If not, then alright. It's just another Monday. Because it's not like they were getting anyone over with the seventh super long wrestling match on Raw every week either.

With their booking and presentation, I actually think there's an argument to be made that this has a higher chance of success than any of their usual stuff. Their usual stuff is just that bad.

According to the latest Observer, it was USA's idea. They knew something had to be done to turn ratings around and had been pitching ideas as of late. Apparently, all the ideas were terrible, but Vince knew he had to use one of them and the 24/7 title was the best of the bunch.

Now, I really want to see USAs list of ideas.

As for the 24/7 title, I can only hope that it leads to the return of on-location vignettes. I'm not saying I want a carbon copy of Crash vs. The Headbangers in a soft play castle but that's what they should be aiming for.

13 hours ago, sek69 said:

Funny how this is basically exactly the same as the Hardcore title, just minus the stupid unnecessary head shots guys took back then, and everyone's shitting on it. 

That and also no hardcore spots. Like we're not seeing trash can lids, kendo sticks, bowling balls or Raven with a shopping cart with a Frankenstein doll in it. 

Which is why I assume they didn't just call it the hardcore division again.

22 hours ago, sek69 said:

Alestair Black is also on the list of folks saying they won't go to Saudi Arabia now. 

So apparently it's because some of his tatoos with religious overtones might be offensive over there. Imagine that, these people being triggered by tatoos... Gotta love WWE making their show a safe space for wahabite biggots. No women, no gay flag, no Sami Zayn... How precious.