Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 5/27-6/2 RAW IS WILL VINCE RESIST TAKING SHOTS AT AEW

sek69

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Charles (Loss) said:

They think the Corbin boos are a sign he has heat and is a hot heel. I don't dislike Corbin nearly as most, but people who hate that he's getting pushed should stop giving him such a loud reaction live.

I agree with that. They should sit on their hands but I also think they should be able to tell the difference. 

Honestly, I just chuckle that he's the challenger for Rollins for the Jeddah show. Let the Saudi government deal with the ramifications of using government money to present Baron Corbin in a featured match. It will probably spark revolution.

1 hour ago, Al said:

Honestly, I just chuckle that he's the challenger for Rollins for the Jeddah show. Let the Saudi government deal with the ramifications of using government money to present Baron Corbin in a featured match. It will probably spark revolution.

This is why I don't care.  I'm not watching that show anyway.  I almost never watch WWE TV anymore either, but there's way bigger problems than Corbin, he's just one of many.

And I agree with several people's sentiments that he's a perfectly fine mid-card heel, but there's absolutely no reason to push him so hard and put him all over RAW.  He's definitely part of the problems there.  Make him a mid-card gatekeeper who puts over guys on the way up and gets wins over guys lower than him or moving down the card.  He's decent in the ring and can talk.

My thoughts on Corbin:

- WWE has always given World Title matches to midcard heels on b-level PPVs or even Royal Rumble where the World Title match usually isn't the main draw. This is their formula and has been for decades. 

- Be glad it's happening on a show you aren't watching. This is just a way to give Rollins an "impressive" clean win over someone who can withstand it.

- Like others have said, Corbin is fine as a midcard heel.

So it looks like either WWE is trying to work the boys by cutting Sami's AEW mention off the YouTube clip (implying it was an off script remark), or someone in the company had a rare moment of clarity and realized how stupid it was to mention them in a way guaranteed to get a babyface pop.

6 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Do they still do those quarter hour ratings?  I'd be curious to know if someone like Corbin is channel changer or say if Brock was a always a big ratings getter.  

Technically yes, but nothing but the hour breakdowns ever seem to get out anymore. 

20 minutes ago, sek69 said:

So it looks like either WWE is trying to work the boys by cutting Sami's AEW mention off the YouTube clip (implying it was an off script remark), or someone in the company had a rare moment of clarity and realized how stupid it was to mention them in a way guaranteed to get a babyface pop.

We are back in the Working The Boys era. This was discussed on today's WOR, but apparently some wrestlers were told it was unscripted when it wasn't.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

The hilarious part is AEW got a big spike on Google right after he mentioned it. So all of those people just Googled it and got greeted with Jon Moxley. Brilliant thinking WWE.

It was absolutely planned, going off script like that would be a suspendable offence (they aren't firing anyone now). 

What's even sadder is Vinny Ru is now convinced WWE and AEW are working together (because commentary on DON mentioned El Generico, and Sami mentioned AEW) and we're all marks for not realizing it. 

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

The hilarious part is AEW got a big spike on Google right after he mentioned it. So all of those people just Googled it and got greeted with Jon Moxley. Brilliant thinking WWE.

"Mick Foley, who worked here as Cactus Jack, is gonna win their version of the world title. Now that's gonna put butts in seats."

They should have hired Chuckie T to play 'Dean Ambrose'.

If the WWE had to blame anything, they can start off with the superstar shake-up. Ever since that show, the entire television show is in disarray and it's difficult to get invested when you hardly know who is on the show. I've never been a fan of those manufactured 'surprise' shows to begin with, but this year may have been the worst of all. Consider that before all of that started the WWE introduced five new characters in Lacey Evans, Lars Sullivan, EC3, Otis Dozovic and Tucker Knight.

Of those five, Evans was by far the best utilised and all she did was her entrance for three months. What an incredibly low bar that is, especially when you consider that she was supposed to be heated up for the biggest program on the show with the hottest act in Pro Wrestling Becky Lynch. They're playing catch-up now and all it's done is taken the gloss off of Becky.

The WWE flubbed that up, so they called up four more superstars in Ricochet, Aleister Black, Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa. I'm surprised they didn't just have them appear at ring-side and have Apollo Crews acknowledge their presence or something. Their call-up was completely hamfisted and ultimately the only major development is that one of those guys is out for a long time and had to abort the pay-off to this long term storyline that's been years in the making.

And now we've got this 'wild card' rule which is just a crutch for the writers because they have very little idea on what to do with all these underneath guys. Their best idea was to steal an idea they had 19 years ago and while I don't think it's bad in of itself, the last thing they needed to do was introduced another championship belt to care about. There's just nothing of substance happening and the show is well and truly in limbo as the WWE steadies itself for the Jeddah show. Doing that show in the first place is already alienating in of itself, but having to build it up makes it worse. I just don't understand why they can't treat those shows like the old UK PPVs where it's a treat for those fans and hardcore fans will tune in, but rarely acknowledged on TV. I think it would actually be better that way, especially since the marquee matches like Goldberg/Undertaker and HHH/Orton aren't being built up at all on TV. It's almost like they're ashamed to announce those matches and they're doing the bare minimum required to promote them.

The show last night typified the WWE's struggles to put together a compelling television show. The first hour was a complete drag and the only news to come out of it is that Brock has literally transformed the MitB briefcase into a boom box. That was it for the entire first hour of television. Even Kevin Nash would be pushing for more action. The show just never recovered from there. Ricochet and Cesaro had a fun television match worth checking out, but the rest of the show was so blasse you just wonder why they even bothered. Even the main event of Seth Rollins and Sami Zayn had little momentum going into it and the main story coming out of that was teasing a potential cash-in from Brock.

It was just a messy show and outside of Brock, I don't think anyone came out of it looking better.

Their creative is this toxic, repellant poison at this point. Their booking and presentation is so bad, it honestly doesn't matter WHO they promote or push.

You guys are focusing on the wrong thing. It won't make a difference if it's a Ricochet, a Keith Lee, or a Baron Corbin. When they're all booked and presented like shit, it doesn't matter who's there in that spot.

It's not a case of them picking the wrong guy and running with him. It's reached a point where it doesn't even matter WHO they select - it's their awful, uninteresting approach to, well, EVERYTHING.

Their stories are nonexistent. Their ideas are such a black hole of creativity that they're beyond rebounding with simple character development or renewed focus. They practically need to strip away EVERYTHING and give everyone a total, wholesale overhaul.

Nobody means anything at this point. None of the belts mean a thing. They've done so much damage through years and years of this booking.

Its 2019. Its amazing that WWE employees listen to the live audience and stop there. Its lazy to stand in the back and hear the crowd boo Corbin and ignore all other factors. WWE has a social media system that captures all the social media feedback across all the popular platforms. I am sure if they just searched "Baron Corbin" very few positive things will come back and the word "boring" will appear more than once. I don't think Corbin should be given his walking papers, but I wonder what's this thing some people have with him. Even online, people are quick to point out that he is 'doing his job' as a heel because we don't like him. Growing up, I didn't like Flair, Rude, Cactus Jack, and others. But I never turned the channel because I wanted to see the good guys kick their butts. People don't want to see Corbin win or lose. They just don't want to see him and that's mainly because WWE decided to over push the guy. Put Corbin somewhere in the mid-card as the mouthpiece of AOP and things get instantly better for him. Have Corbin be the muscle for Drew Gulak and it will instantly be a better role than he is currently occupying. Hell, a Corbin/Mojo team , if done correctly, would have legs on Main Event and Superstars.

1 hour ago, SomethingSavage said:

You guys are focusing on the wrong thing. It won't make a difference if it's a Ricochet, a Keith Lee, or a Baron Corbin. When they're all booked and presented like shit, it doesn't matter who's there in that spot.

It's not a case of them picking the wrong guy and running with him. It's reached a point where it doesn't even matter WHO they select - it's their awful, uninteresting approach to, well, EVERYTHING.

WWE has managed to make their whole roster feel like they have a bunch of Big John Studds walking out there. Except of course they're also all 5'10" & 190lbs. 

10 minutes ago, Coffey said:

WWE has managed to make their whole roster feel like they have a bunch of Big John Studds walking out there. Except of course they're also all 5'10" & 190lbs. 

1989 comeback Studd maybe, but 90% of the roster wishes they were as over as Studd was in the early 80s teaming with Bundy.

2 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

Their creative is this toxic, repellant poison at this point. Their booking and presentation is so bad, it honestly doesn't matter WHO they promote or push.

Their stories are nonexistent. Their ideas are such a black hole of creativity that they're beyond rebounding with simple character development or renewed focus. They practically need to strip away EVERYTHING and give everyone a total, wholesale overhaul.

Nobody means anything at this point. None of the belts mean a thing. They've done so much damage through years and years of this booking.

This is a great post and needs to be quoted for truth.